PDA

View Full Version : Arod shuts door on Favre

RashanGary
06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
When asked on the Jim Rome show if Favre would play another down Rodgers said he might but it woudln't be in Green Bay. He went on to say they were moving on without him.

BallHawk
06-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Shit. He was on today? Damnit, I forgot to TiVo.

Anything of note besides that?

Good for A-Rod, BTW.

BallHawk
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Fear not, Rats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOxC5Mn5cJo

RashanGary
06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3463067&categoryId=2963048&n8pe6c=2

About 1/3 of the way through.

Tarlam!
06-27-2008, 05:14 PM
You're just stirring shit, JH. A-Rod was exemplary in that interview.

Brett Favre retired from Green Bay and I hope football. If not, if he still runs out with another team, he'll still make the HOF first ballot, but IMHO, it would be a sign that he missed the boat.

#4 had it in his hands and he decided to retire. I respect that. In his position and with his stature, that was a decision you don't take lightly and definately do not reverse.

A-Rod, KUDOS!!!

falco
06-27-2008, 05:23 PM
come on Tarlam - JH is the last person to be incendiary on this forum

bobblehead
06-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I really don't want him to come back with anyone else, it would suck. I know he didn't want to put in all the extra time anymore, but I think if he were going to play he would have put it in and done so in green bay.

Only way I see him playing a down is if we are 10-2 and ARod breaks a leg and the rookies just ain't ready.

BallHawk
06-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Also, A-Rod looks even whiter than I thought he did from the mini-camp photos. He looks like he's in his 30s.

Grow back the hair.

Packerarcher
06-27-2008, 05:39 PM
AROD is getting a little cocky,as much as I don't like him I like to see a little attitude. But it isn't going to be as easy as he thinks it is. IF he does manage to play the whole season which I doubt,it is gonna be ugly. Will all the AROD lovers still have as much confidence when the Queens shut the Pack down on Monday night. I love the Packers and hate the vikings,but there are a whole lot of people that don't have a clue how bad it will be without Favre. For the sake of the Packers I hope I am wrong,but I really doubt it.

GoPackGo
06-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Great Interview. Arod is saying the right things. I am excited to see what he does with his chance

The Shadow
06-27-2008, 05:50 PM
I think Rodgers will do just fine as a new QB with the solid team Thompson has carefully built around him. There will be bumps in the road, but living in the past never wins championships.

BF4MVP
06-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I DVR'd it and watched it yesterday and Rome talked about it on his radio show today..He was saying some really nice things about A-Rod..

Things like:

"I think he's going to be great. I don't think he'll just do 'fine,' I don't think he'll do 'well,' I think he'll be great. I'm sticking my neck out."

And

"I think he's going to have a really big year. Not just a nice year for a rookie starter. Not a 15 touchdown, 14 interception effort. I'm talking about the kind of year that you fantasy 'honks' are going to like."

And

"He's not a rookie starter. He's a first-year starter. There's a big difference. He's not a rookie being thrown into the fire on a terrible team. He's not Matt Ryan."

And

"What I'm saying is, I think Aaron Rodgers is going to be outstanding. I'd buy stock in him. If they sold it, I'd buy it."

I can't say I disagree with anything he said, although there probably aren't too many people who feel the same.

Bretsky
06-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Brett Favre retired from Green Bay and I hope football. If not, if he still runs out with another team, he'll still make the HOF first ballot, but IMHO, it would be a sign that he missed the boat.

#4 had it in his hands and he decided to retire. I respect that. In his position and with his stature, that was a decision you don't take lightly and definately do not reverse.

A-Rod, KUDOS!!!

The title must be meant to stir sh@t; I'm immune to most of it now. AROD would have no clue whatsoever how MM or TT would react if Favre wanted to return. No clue at all. I'm sure they can feed him full of what he wants to hear; that is what they should be doing in trying to build up his confidence.

Overall a good interview. I hope he thrives for the Pack.

Bretsky
06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
I think Rodgers will do just fine as a new QB with the solid team Thompson has carefully built around him. There will be bumps in the road, but living in the past never wins championships.

I hope he does well also; TT certainly has loaded up the talent level at the skill positions around him very well.

Pacopete4
06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
"in green bay for sure, 100%"

does that mean he knows that TT won't let him back or is he being a cock and saying he wont be leaving the field?... kinda makes ya wonder

Arod must not realize that if Favre said today that he wanted to play that he'd be back to #2 in a heart beat... that being said I hope Arod succeeds but he just needs to keep things in perspective a little bit

RashanGary
06-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I just flipped it on ESPN (something I rarely do) and they had a little Rodgers segment on NFL Live. They showed Rodgers gunning passes in the Cowboys game and talked about his natural rocket arm :) :)

This is great. Imagine the sick look on Vikings/Bears faces when we go from one probowler to the next and they get the first look at it on Monday night.

RashanGary
06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
YOu hear all of the Vikings fans saying "Rodgers has to prove it", "Ya'll are going to have a rude awakening"

Wouldn't it be funny if the rude awakening was on them :) :)

BF4MVP
06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
This is great. Imagine the sick look on Vikings/Bears faces when we go from one probowler to the next and they get the first look at it on Monday night.
Couldn't agree more :D :bclap:

GBRulz
06-27-2008, 07:02 PM
What is misleading subject line. I think Aaron did great in that interview...except the Noah Herron incident. That break-in had nothing to do with him being a Packer.

MadtownPacker
06-27-2008, 08:03 PM
When asked on the Jim Rome show if Favre would play another down Rodgers said he might but it woudln't be in Green Bay. He went on to say they were moving on without him.Your attempt at flaming Favre is obvious but you really only making ARod look like the ass with this thread title by making him look like a no respect having jerk. He said what he should have said and wasn't disrespectful to his predecessor. I think Rodgers is handling the situation excellent.

I think it is called showing class, maybe you can try learning a thing a or two from Rodgers. :)

motife
06-27-2008, 10:25 PM
http://gretawire.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/bret2.jpg

Packers4Ever
06-27-2008, 10:51 PM
AROD is getting a little cocky,as much as I don't like him I like to see a little attitude. But it isn't going to be as easy as he thinks it is. IF he does manage to play the whole season which I doubt,it is gonna be ugly. Will all the AROD lovers still have as much confidence when the Queens shut the Pack down on Monday night. I love the Packers and hate the vikings,but there are a whole lot of people that don't have a clue how bad it will be without Favre. For the sake of the Packers I hope I am wrong,but I really doubt it.

I don't think Aaron is being cocky as much as he is trying to get it across to fans in a subtle way that he's ready to go! He thinks it's going to be easy? I very much doubt it, this won't be his 1st time out on that field and I really think he's ready and looking forward to it too. Sure there'll be some tough games, Brett had his share too and I feel keeping a positive attitude is the only way here. We need to show Aaron we're behind him, not waiting for him to fall on his @ss, :tup:

mraynrand
06-27-2008, 11:20 PM
I have a good vibe about A Rog.

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/dickey03pf-1.jpg

woodbuck27
06-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Saw the interview and hope Favre doesn't view it.

I felt that AR came off not cocky but might have just focused on the fact that Favre has retired fr. the NFL and '' he'll be missed but I feel excited and the teams behind me and we'll do very well ''.

While on You Tube watched the highlight films of our new WR- Jordy Nelson and adding this young talent to DD and Greg Jennings and the rest of our receiving Corps., certainly weighs very well for Aaron Rodgers.

I hope Aaron Rodgers has an outstanding first year. In reality to me. It's a wait and see. :)

PACKERS FOREVER.

LL2
06-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Couldn't agree more :D :bclap:

I second that! I hope he throws 4 TD's against the Vikes opening night.

MJZiggy
06-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm just curious, for those that think he was too cocky or said something wrong about Brett, what exactly was he supposed to say? "Damn I wish he'd come back and take my job?"

Bretsky
06-28-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm just curious, for those that think he was too cocky or said something wrong about Brett, what exactly was he supposed to say? "Damn I wish he'd come back and take my job?"

I could care less about what he said; but to answer your question when asked about what would occur if Favre wanted to return the correct answer is "I'll leave that up to the GM since that is out of my control".

Patler
06-28-2008, 09:06 AM
After all the dumb things Favre has said over the years about FA acquisitions, other players' contracts, who the Packers should draft or sign and his own retirement; and this comment from Rodgers bothers people?

Rodgers is an absolute neophyte in interviews like this compared to Favre the last 10 years, and some are concerned about one answer given during a 6 minute interview? It's obvious he was prepared to answer "Favre questions" with an answer of "We are prepared to move on..." The question was asked a little differently than expected, and his prepared response fit a bit awkwardly. That is all.

Beyond that he handled everything else extremely well, explaining why he was confident and how he had improved even while not playing, acknowledging that there will be inevitable rough spots when he takes over as a starter, acknowledging that while he has earned some respect from his work ethic and attitude he still has to prove himself to the veterans by his play on the field, and giving credit to others on the offense that he can rely on. It was obvious he was a bit uncomfortable, more so than he shows in locker room interviews from reporters he knows, but I thought he did an extremely good job. He will only get better with experience.

IF he becomes a successful QB I believe he will be a good spokesman for the team.

RashanGary
06-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I thought he did a great job as well.

However, I have a theory that the Packers are/were ready to move on before Favre really was. I've pieced things together from all of the reports after Favre retired and Chris Havel on the radio. From everything I understand, the Packers gave Favre a date and told him he had to have an answer. On that date, Favre said he had to retire because he wasn't ready to fully commit to football for another year. From what I understand, the Packers hung up the phone immediately and announced it to the world. They set an early time for a press conference and it was over before Favre even realized he couldn't pull his little diva tricks on the new regime. This was the time when Favre's agent was pissed off and said they really didn't want him back.

Rodgers saying the team is moving on whether Favre wants to come back or not seems to fit well into the big picture. I don't think Favre was really ready to retire (Havel has hinted to this many times on the radio), I just think he wanted to play little diva tricks to get an offseason off and he ended up getting shoved out the door by a regime that doesn't stand for the whole diva act.

woodbuck27
06-28-2008, 05:32 PM

I could care less about what he said; but to answer your question when asked about what would occur if Favre wanted to return the correct answer is "I'll leave that up to the GM since that is out of my control".

No question he messed up on that Favre and his possible future with Packers? His response made him seem 'an insider', and Favre never had a real feel for management and moves to suit his perspective or (hopes).

His response was tactless and just might 'fire up' Brett Favre. :)

I keep feeling a chance for Favre to play this season (Vikings anyone?) and if I was AR. I wouldn't have gone where he did. Not smart.

woodbuck27
06-28-2008, 05:41 PM

However, I have a theory that the Packers are/were ready to move on before Favre really was. I've pieced things together from all of the reports after Favre retired and Chris Havel on the radio. From everything I understand, the Packers gave Favre a date and told him he had to have an answer. On that date, Favre said he had to retire because he wasn't ready to fully commit to football for another year. From what I understand, the Packers hung up the phone immediately and announced it to the world. They set an early time for a press conference and it was over before Favre even realized he couldn't pull his little diva tricks on the new regime. This was the time when Favre's agent was pissed off and said they really didn't want him back.

Rodgers saying the team is moving on whether Favre wants to come back or not seems to fit well into the big picture. I don't think Favre was really ready to retire (Havel has hinted to this many times on the radio), I just think he wanted to play little diva tricks to get an offseason off and he ended up getting shoved out the door by a regime that doesn't stand for the whole diva act.

I'll grade that post an A because it's still speculation, yet I believe very close to 'the Truth'.

Courageous post.

packinpatland
06-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Is it just me.......................or are his feet HUGE? :shock:

bobblehead
06-28-2008, 06:32 PM

No question he messed up on that Favre and his possible future with Packers? His response made him seem 'an insider', and Favre never had a real feel for management and moves to suit his perspctive (hopes).

I keep feeling a chance for Favre to play this season (Vikings anyone?) and if I was AR. I wouldn't have gone where he did. Not smart.

TT would let favre come back and sit on the bench for 12 million a year before he ever let the vikings have his rights.....especially at this point when a veteran QB would make them dangerous.

mission
06-28-2008, 07:24 PM

interesting theory... sounds about right.

kinda shitty, but what i feel will end up being (purely) a much stronger "business/team" move for the time, place, and every other circumstance (another rodgers year on the bench etc).

rodgers is OBVIOUSLY ready to get this show on the road. at least in his mind ... you gotta have swagger to play quarterback and those type of people dont want to play second fiddle when they feel it's their time. i have no problem with him sayin "ok lets get this going, fuck all this stupid media shit" :lol:

MJZiggy
06-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Yes, they are. It also looks like Rome likes to give his guests a slightly lower and less comfortable chair than the one he sits in. Either that or Aaron is just that much bigger than he is.

RashanGary
06-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Yes, they are. It also looks like Rome likes to give his guests a slightly lower and less comfortable chair than the one he sits in. Either that or Aaron is just that much bigger than he is.

haha, astute observation. Rome is a little midget. He probably does that to make himself appear like a normal man :) :) :) The chairs have the same height arm rests but Romes seat is higher up to make him appear taller.

Zool
06-28-2008, 09:43 PM

haha, astute observation. Rome is a little midget. He probably does that to make himself appear like a normal man :) :) :) The chairs have the same height arm rests but Romes seat is higher up to make him appear taller.

Much like Stallone is always shot from below because he represents the Lolli-pop guild.

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 12:20 AM

I completely buy into this; one might suggest that TT was ready to move on with AROD a year ago even before Favre announced he was coming back. I would not argue with that theory either. AROD is TT's boy.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 01:08 AM
I completely buy into this; one might suggest that TT was ready to move on with AROD a year ago even before Favre announced he was coming back. I would not argue with that theory either. AROD is TT's boy.

It doesn't really matter. Favre ultimately made the call to retire. TT needed to know.

The year A-Rod was drafted, TT waited for news and none came. Not until well after the draft. The annual waiting game sucked. If TT set a deadline, more power to him.

Let's face it, Favre thrived under disciplined coaching last year. No doubt, he'd have been great this year again, but he wanted special treatment if you buy into JH's theory. The discipline TT and M3 have instilled into the players is not a bad thing, even if #4 was victimized by it.

Deputy Nutz
06-29-2008, 08:34 AM

A-Rod, KUDOS!!!

The title must be meant to stir sh@t; I'm immune to most of it now. AROD would have no clue whatsoever how MM or TT would react if Favre wanted to return. No clue at all. I'm sure they can feed him full of what he wants to hear; that is what they should be doing in trying to build up his confidence.

Overall a good interview. I hope he thrives for the Pack.

Really Favre goes even higher than Thompson and McCarthy. If Mark Murphy wants Favre back on this team, he is going to get Favre on this team. With the Owners dumping the current deal with the players and looking at an uncapped year in 2010 the Packers are going to need as much revenue as they can muster and that would mean if Favre came back, he would need to come back in the Green and Gold. If Murphy has any idea what is good long term for this franchise he would make sure that if Brett Favre came back to football he would be running the offense in Green Bay.

Packnut
06-29-2008, 08:43 AM

It doesn't really matter. Favre ultimately made the call to retire. TT needed to know.

The year A-Rod was drafted, TT waited for news and none came. Not until well after the draft. The annual waiting game sucked. If TT set a deadline, more power to him.

Let's face it, Favre thrived under disciplined coaching last year. No doubt, he'd have been great this year again, but he wanted special treatment if you buy into JH's theory. The discipline TT and M3 have instilled into the players is not a bad thing, even if #4 was victimized by it.

Just may-be Favre thrived cause he had a little talent around him. Please leave JH to say all the stupid ass things around here. No need to help him out.........

Packnut
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Gee, I guess all those years of playing through the pain and all the sacrifice never earned him the right to make up his mind about wanting to go through it again right? Favre did more for this organization than anyone and for a punk like you to call him names really speaks of how in-mature you really are.

Before, I'd just always write off the supid shit you post to being in-mature. But everyone grows up at some point and this will be a much better forum the day you grow up.

Note to Mad: This forum would be a whole lot better if you install an IGNORE feature. I came here because there were way to many idiots on the Journal's site, but JH makes them look like genious's!

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Gee, I guess all those years of playing through the pain and all the sacrifice[...]

It's not as though he wasn't compensated handsomely for his "sacrifice". I am not taking anything away from Brett Favre. He is the best thing to have happen to the post Lombardi franchise.

Football is a team sport.

Packnut
06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Gee, I guess all those years of playing through the pain and all the sacrifice[...]

It's not as though he wasn't compensated handsomely for his "sacrifice". I am not taking anything away from Brett Favre. He is the best thing to have happen to the post Lombardi franchise.

Come on now, he played with shit no one else would have and not only played but most of the time on a very high level.

And back to your "disciplined" comment. Tell me, what was "disciplined" about the Monday night bomb heard round the world? Or the bomb in KC?

It was the same Favre, just with talent around him...............

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Packnut, Favre was the man. The Man! I travelled a long long way and paid a tonne of dough just to see the Man play. I love Brett Favre in a healthy manlove type of way.

But, he retired. He could have earned 10 million dollars this year. Instead, he decided mowing his acerage was more worthwhile,

He was one of the best paid athletes the world has ever known. He played football. "Played". He did it with less? So the fuck what!! He played a game and was compensated for it with millions and millions of dollars.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 09:49 AM
And back to my disciplined comment: Are you suggesting Favre's last season was not greatly influenced by his coaches? Are you suggesting he played as though Sherman was on the sidelines?

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 10:09 AM

No question he messed up on that Favre and his possible future with Packers? His response made him seem 'an insider', and Favre never had a real feel for management and moves to suit his perspctive (hopes).

TT would let favre come back and sit on the bench for 12 million a year before he ever let the vikings have his rights.....especially at this point when a veteran QB would make them dangerous.

The words. Brett Favre (3 time NFL MVP and future HOFer) and benched... will never be reported in the same sentence.

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
That's true. He retired.

Disclaimer: There may come a point in Favre's nephews life where for one reason or another Buck's statement becomes untrue.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
That's true. He retired.

Disclaimer: There may come a point in Favre's nephews life where for one reason or another Buck's statement becomes untrue.

Such 'a smart ass' response.

:wave: to 'the insider'.

The words. Brett Favre (3 time NFL MVP and future HOFer) and benched... will never be reported in the same sentence.

Good enough... even for you mj.... no I don't give 'a damn'.

RashanGary
06-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Really Favre goes even higher than Thompson and McCarthy. If Mark Murphy wants Favre back on this team, he is going to get Favre on this team. With the Owners dumping the current deal with the players and looking at an uncapped year in 2010 the Packers are going to need as much revenue as they can muster and that would mean if Favre came back, he would need to come back in the Green and Gold. If Murphy has any idea what is good long term for this franchise he would make sure that if Brett Favre came back to football he would be running the offense in Green Bay.

YOu really think one more year of FAvre is going to be the magical financial savior for the Packers? Your thinking is pretty dilluted with jock sniffing man love, Nutz. And no, Murphy won't step in. It's Thompson's show.

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 11:45 AM
YOu really think one more year of FAvre is going to be the magical financial savior for the Packers? Your thinking is pretty dilluted with jock sniffing man love, Nutz. And no, Murphy won't step in. It's Thompson's show.

And JH ain't about to share that jock!! :D

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
And back to my disciplined comment: Are you suggesting Favre's last season was not greatly influenced by his coaches? Are you suggesting he played as though Sherman was on the sidelines?

HEY!

The bottom line we were 13-3 in the regular season and certainly, Brett Favre did all he could to allow us to enjoy that.He was our QB.

PACKERS FOREVER.

bobblehead
06-29-2008, 12:25 PM

that wasn't the point, the point was we will NEVER EVER EVER give his rights to a division rival....we'll hand him 12 million to sit and jerk off before we do that.

bobblehead
06-29-2008, 12:29 PM

Gee, I guess all those years of playing through the pain and all the sacrifice never earned him the right to make up his mind about wanting to go through it again right? Favre did more for this organization than anyone and for a punk like you to call him names really speaks of how in-mature you really are.

Before, I'd just always write off the supid shit you post to being in-mature. But everyone grows up at some point and this will be a much better forum the day you grow up.

Note to Mad: This forum would be a whole lot better if you install an IGNORE feature. I came here because there were way to many idiots on the Journal's site, but JH makes them look like genious's!

All those years of playing in pain and giving his all earned him MILLIONS of dollars...nothing more. You never have a right to anything more than the check. He has the right to pick up that check again...ie. decide on retirement, but he doesn't have the right to drag out the decision til the day before the season starts. I always said favre owed nothing to the regime other than the required services outlined in his contract, and that includes MANDATORY OTA's, and TC, nothing more, on the flip side we owed him nothing more than his salary.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:38 PM

Are you inferring that Brett Favre had no 'let's go team' attitude in him?

:D

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:43 PM

that wasn't the point, the point was we will NEVER EVER EVER give his rights to a division rival....we'll hand him 12 million to sit and jerk off before we do that.

We'll see. The question I ask myself is:

" Does Favre really desire a SB?... and screw 'the dramatics'.

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Cuz he's got TT's :lol:

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 01:42 PM

Cuz he's got TT's :lol:

:D X '4'.

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 01:53 PM

All those years of playing in pain and giving his all earned him MILLIONS of dollars...nothing more. You never have a right to anything more than the check. He has the right to pick up that check again...ie. decide on retirement, but he doesn't have the right to drag out the decision til the day before the season starts. I always said favre owed nothing to the regime other than the required services outlined in his contract, and that includes MANDATORY OTA's, and TC, nothing more, on the flip side we owed him nothing more than his salary.

To me it's really sad that people don't respect the loyalty, the "giving it his all" and the man that became the "face" of the Packers for so many years. Excuse my language, but fuck that paycheck bullshit. Anyone that watched Favre throughout his career and watched his retirement press conference KNOWS his career/play was more then a paycheck. So what? The guy had a tough time deciding to retire. All the bullshit about him loving the drama is just that...bullshit. The guy had a tough time deciding to retire, period. Packer fans should be glad he poured enough of his soul into the game for the retirement subject to be a tough decision.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Your 'a solid person'

To me it's really sad that people don't respect the loyalty, the "giving it his all" and the man that became the "face" of the Packers for so many years. Excuse my language, but fuck that paycheck bullshit. Anyone that watched Favre throughout his career and watched his retirement press conference KNOWS his career/play was more then a paycheck. So what? The guy had a tough time deciding to retire. All the bullshit about him loving the drama is just that...bullshit. The guy had a tough time deciding to retire, period. Packer fans should be glad he poured enough of his soul into the game for the retirement subject to be a tough decision.

Good for YOU, GrnBay007.

SOLID.

Deputy Nutz
06-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Yes I do think he will step in. Harlan would have stepped in. If Favre wanted to come back, you bet your bottom dollar Harlan would have bent over backwards to get him back on the roster. One more year keeps Green Bay on the map without having to guess if Rodgers can keep this team in the spotlight. Win, lose, great game, or horrible game, Favre kept this team in the spotlight.

Deputy Nutz
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Those Rodger jerseys are just flying off the racks.

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Yes I do think he will step in. Harlan would have stepped in. If Favre wanted to come back, you bet your bottom dollar Harlan would have bent over backwards to get him back on the roster. One more year keeps Green Bay on the map without having to guess if Rodgers can keep this team in the spotlight. Win, lose, great game, or horrible game, Favre kept this team in the spotlight.It's an interesting thought, but the problem with the logic is that even if they force Brett back on the team they ruin the relationship that they have with the coach, GM and future quarterback for one more year of Favre jerseys. Then they're in the same financial boat next year--without the great relationships they have now.

Deputy Nutz
06-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Yes I do think he will step in. Harlan would have stepped in. If Favre wanted to come back, you bet your bottom dollar Harlan would have bent over backwards to get him back on the roster. One more year keeps Green Bay on the map without having to guess if Rodgers can keep this team in the spotlight. Win, lose, great game, or horrible game, Favre kept this team in the spotlight.It's an interesting thought, but the problem with the logic is that even if they force Brett back on the team they ruin the relationship that they have with the coach, GM and future quarterback for one more year of Favre jerseys. Then they're in the same financial boat next year--without the great relationships they have now.

Well the Packers are not struggling financially, nor will they if Mark Murphy keeps things as consistent as Harlan did. It has more to do with keeping the Packers in the spotlight, getting air time on national stations, and broadcasts. Rodgers might have the ability to keep this team heading in a winning direction, I don't know and no one else does either. We haven't had a winning season since 1989 without Brett Favre at the wheel of the offense.

Again, even if Favre turns to duck shit in a year, fans and the media alike can't take their eyes off of him. If Rodgers sucks gopher balls, then what? Turning the tv off at say, halftime becomes a more realistic expectation for a good precentage of "Packer Fans".

the_idle_threat
07-01-2008, 11:08 PM

Oh yes ,,, we like it when you talk dirty! :P

Charles Woodson
07-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Your really going to play that card again?
I think 007 said it well but

If you did anything else in life that required any ounce of energy, then you might be able to fathom the toll football takes. You never, have/will/can explain what he would gain from playing "diva". Football requires a hell of alot on your body, and it must have been hard parenting his kids. The reason that he takes a while is because football is a half year comitment. He cant stop in the middle so he had to make sure he was physically, and mentally prepared to play another year.
Besides, with your lil diva explanation, if he was just trying to steal the spotlight, why did he retire?

Ya know, with all the times you've accused us of our ""jock sniffing love"" for Favre, you seem to be pretty high on sucking A-rods dick.
The only difference is Favre's already proven what hes got down there. Has A-rod?

GrnBay007
07-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Oh yes ,,, we like it when you talk dirty! :P

:P

GrnBay007
07-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Ya know, with all the times you've accused us of our ""jock sniffing love"" for Favre, you seem to be pretty high on sucking A-rods dick.
The only difference is Favre's already proven what hes got down there. Has A-rod?

LOL! :oops:

Go C. Woodson! :lol:

packinpatland
07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Those Rodger jerseys are just flying off the racks.

If he doesn't play as well as he talks...........that'll stop in a heart beat.

Pugger
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Good grief, more of this? :beat:

I don't think TT or MM 'forced' Brett to retire but I wouldn't doubt they asked him to make a decision by such and such. I'm sure they were getting as weary as some of us were in this annual 'will he retire or won't he?" I can understand how a guy who has played football since he was knee high to a toad can have a hard time making that decision but it wasn't fair to the organization to drag this out either. I honestly think Brett can still physically perform at a high level but if his heart isn't in it, then he made the right choice to call it a career.