PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Jones

HarveyWallbangers
06-28-2008, 01:01 AM
I didn't see this speculation out there. Obviously, it would be a longshot--since teams like Chicago and the Jets could give him more playing time if he were healthy.

Kevin Jones (knee) will hold a workout for NFL teams on June 28, the Associated Press reports.

Recommendation: New England, Chicago, Green Bay Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Denver, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Buffalo and the New York Jets have all shown interest in Jones. He had surgery on his right knee in January and was told by Dr. James Andrews that it would be 10 months before he could return to the field. Jones appears to be ahead of schedule. "I honestly feel like I'm ready to play right now," Jones insisted.

gbpackfan
06-28-2008, 04:05 AM
Free agent Kevin Jones (ACL surgery) is no longer scheduled to hold a public workout on June 28, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Jones feels he showed enough during his visits with the Titans and Patriots, his late-May open audition, and a mid-June drill run-through. Despite all the positive reports about Jones' rehab, Schefter interestingly suggests that the unsigned tailback might not be capable of passing a physical.

HarveyWallbangers
06-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Free agent Kevin Jones (ACL surgery) is no longer scheduled to hold a public workout on June 28, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Jones feels he showed enough during his visits with the Titans and Patriots, his late-May open audition, and a mid-June drill run-through. Despite all the positive reports about Jones' rehab, Schefter interestingly suggests that the unsigned tailback might not be capable of passing a physical.

I'd imagine he wouldn't pass a physical. He's only 5 or 6 months removed from ACL surgery. The Packers interest was, well, interesting. Maybe when he gets healthy, we'll go after him. I'd assume that he'll go to a team like the Jets though.

pbmax
06-28-2008, 11:25 AM
I love that nearly every single player in the NFL is a quick healer and is always ahead of schedule. Its astounding that they disprove professional medical advice 95% of the time.

One of the two best Doctors in this specialty in the entire country tells him 10 months and he's ready to go in 5. Sometimes listening to players is like listening to 7 year olds.

Sounds like an agent planting information. And the agent hasn't caught on to the Packer's roster yet.

red
06-28-2008, 11:26 AM
guy has a ton of talent if he heals up

i can't believe the lions dumped him. just one dumb move after another over there

bobblehead
06-28-2008, 12:20 PM
I love that nearly every single player in the NFL is a quick healer and is always ahead of schedule. Its astounding that they disprove professional medical advice 95% of the time.

One of the two best Doctors in this specialty in the entire country tells him 10 months and he's ready to go in 5. Sometimes listening to players is like listening to 7 year olds.

Sounds like an agent planting information. And the agent hasn't caught on to the Packer's roster yet.

People who are in great shape going in and have all the time in the world to work on physical therapy tend to heal faster. He probably is doing pretty good and feeling quite capable....BUT that is a long way from being able to handle the rigors of playing RB in the NFL.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-28-2008, 04:17 PM

i can't believe the lions dumped him. just one dumb move after another over there

League is full of guys with a ton of talent. Jones hasn't produced..for one reason or another.

Lions may be dumb..but getting rid of guy who can't even tote the ball 200 times a season, averages less than 4 yards a carry, misses 20-25% of the season....ain't that dumb.

woodbuck27
06-28-2008, 05:19 PM

Yup. It's got something to do with.

$$$$$$$ it's a real cure all. NOT.

MJZiggy
06-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Except for Culpepper who didn't heal fast enough for the Eagles...

Guiness
06-28-2008, 05:32 PM

People who are in great shape going in and have all the time in the world to work on physical therapy tend to heal faster. He probably is doing pretty good and feeling quite capable....BUT that is a long way from being able to handle the rigors of playing RB in the NFL.

Not to mention money for hyperbaric (or whatever) chambers, massage therapy, whirlpools - and don't have to go to a regular job and give the joint a pounding every day. Yes, pro atheletes definitely heal quicker than 'the rest of us' because they're able to fully dedicate themselves to recuperating.

Zool
06-28-2008, 09:38 PM

League is full of guys with a ton of talent. Jones hasn't produced..for one reason or another.

Lions may be dumb..but getting rid of guy who can't even tote the ball 200 times a season, averages less than 4 yards a carry, misses 20-25% of the season....ain't that dumb.

QFT. Guy had 1100 yards in his rookie season with 240 carries. YPC since, 3.6, 3.8, 3.8 as his carries per season dropped every year. Guy has talent, but cant stay healthy. If he was a Packer, some people would be calling him soft and injury prone.

HarveyWallbangers
06-29-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't know. He can't stay healthy. That's the knock and that's why he's available, but he's been a good player when he has been healthy. I don't think you can look at just YAC with him. He played behind some horrible run blocking OLs in Detroit. He's also only 25, he's a good receiver, and he scored 8 TDs in ~12 games each of the last two years. Like I said though, there's probably a handful of teams that are more appealing to him.

Report: Packers attend workout by RB Jones
By Greg A. Bedard

Green Bay - The Packers were one of four teams to attend the workout of former Lions running back Kevin Jones on Saturday in Saline, Mich., according to a report in the Detroit Free Press.

The Dolphins, Steelers and Lions were also in attendance, according to Dr. D.S. Ping, Jones' holistic healer/agent (you can't make this stuff up).

The Patriots previously had Jones in for a private workout.

mission
06-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Just for conversation's sake ... Is this something we're _seriously_ interested in or is it more of a for-face, Ryan-Grant-Contract slight leverage kind of thing?

I'll say the latter but only because of the former http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/smiles/icon_doh.gif

(i love these "other smilies" !!)

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/smiles/icon_smoke.gif

red
06-29-2008, 09:25 AM
well, either its something to push grant, or the fluff pieces on jackson have been just that, fluff pieces, and the team isn't sold on him being the other guy

if we're even serious about getting him

motife
06-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Najeh Davenport was released by the Steelers.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 09:50 AM

OK, well, I think it's time to sell the farm.

Brandon494
06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm a big Virginia Tech fan and I've seen this Kevin play a lot in college. When he is healthy he would be a perfect fit for our zone blocking scheme because he is a good one cut runner. Only problem with him is that he does seem to dance alittle too much. He also has pretty good hands for a RB. I wouldnt sign him thought if he is not healthy.

bobblehead
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Just for conversation's sake ... Is this something we're _seriously_ interested in or is it more of a for-face, Ryan-Grant-Contract slight leverage kind of thing?

I'll say the latter but only because of the former http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/smiles/icon_doh.gif

(i love these "other smilies" !!)

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/smiles/icon_smoke.gif

I think its TT constantly looking at options to maximize team talent and create competition...nothing more.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2008, 06:06 PM

QFT. Guy had 1100 yards in his rookie season with 240 carries. YPC since, 3.6, 3.8, 3.8 as his carries per season dropped every year. Guy has talent, but cant stay healthy. If he was a Packer, some people would be calling him soft and injury prone.

Yeah, they'd be calling him Deshawn Wynn!

red
06-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah, they'd be calling him Deshawn Wynn!

no, javon walker. a guy who flashes pro bowl talent for one year, but injuries limit him to meager numbers after that

Fritz
06-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Oh, poop!

DonHutson
06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
well, either its something to push grant, or the fluff pieces on jackson have been just that, fluff pieces, and the team isn't sold on him being the other guy

if we're even serious about getting him

Until Grant is signed, sealed, and delivered there's no harm in kicking anybody's tires. Even if Jackson is as good as advertised, I wouldn't be overly content with Wynn, Morency, or Herron as a primary backup. They're all #3's at best.

Grant signs, Jackson drops to #2 and these rumors go away.

pbmax
06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I agree with your caveat at the bottom, but I am pretty sure the doctor who treated Jones was aware of how fast pro athletes are capable of healing.

Hordes of top-tier athletes -- among them Troy Aikman, Charles Barkley, Roger Clemens, Allen Iverson, Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Jack Nicklaus, Emmitt Smith, John Smoltz and Doug Williams [Drew Brees as well] -- have made their way to his [Dr. James Andrews] practices in the Deep South, where he happened to land in the early 1970s at the dawn of modern sports medicine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3024046