PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Nelson, Edition VII

mission
06-28-2008, 01:43 AM
OK, so I just got done watching a bunch of Youtube videos. I know highlight films are exactly that and so on, so forth, but...

damn!!

im drinkin jordy kool aid... he is like a taller wes walker who is nearly impossible to take down at first contact. he can pass too! there's one where it took like 7 guys to bring him down and he seems to have that DD "catch, plant, juke" move that's so important in the WCO

but here's the kicker...

he produced non stop all year.. huge numbers... why so low in the draft despite huge production? 1) he's white (i mean, come on duh!) and 2) he looks slow as shit!

BUT

watch this lil youtuber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

he burns the shit out of talib it's not even funny... blazing fast.. football speed and his field awareness (granted, big 12, i know...) seems way beyond anyone elses.

im all for it... this is gonna be an exciting year i feel ... strangely.

TT might be a genius after all.. i think i signed up on firetedthompson.com after the randy moss no-trade but ISW ("im so wrong" ... new acronym for this forum cuz it should be said by a lot of folks lol)

mission
06-28-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXqfbAksg_k&feature=related

one handed snatch and run on this one

jesus ... i hope what they're saying about jones workin his ass off is true because his job depends on it.

RashanGary
06-28-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't think Jones has anything to worry about. Nelson is a rookie. Even if he does catch on fast like Jennings did I still think Jones will have the upper hand with experience and strength from being in the NFL program for a year (plus, Jones is very strong naturally).

I think the best case sinerio is that Driver, Jenning and Jone all have big years and Nelson shows promise in his limited minutes as well as during practice. Then, during next years draft (as much as I would hate to do this) we could trade Driver for a 2nd rounder and go forward with three young starting caliber WR's and and extra 2nd round pick for a guy who is near the end of his career.

MJZiggy
06-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Don't be stupid, JH. Driver is a good player, great team guy and the new face of the organization. Rodgers hasn't earned being the face yet, for now he's just the replacement. TT is not afraid to keep players at one position if they show their worth. How hard was everyone screaming about the DL situation last summer, until DLinemen started getting injured...

RashanGary
06-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Comparing Jennings and Nelson I'd say they are about equal as prospects coming out. Both have no real weaknesses as recievers. Jennings was a little more of the big play threat (both deep ball and YAC) with Nelson being a little more of the consistant (catch the ball in traffic) type. Rodgers is very lucky and that's before you take Driver and Jones into account. Jones has some speed limitations and maybe isn't quite as smart as the other two young WR's but Jones is a very powerfull dude. He might not be the guy who bails a QB out by making an adjustment at the line like Jennings, Nelson and Driver might, but he's the type of guy that if you isolate him in man coverage, he's going to beat his guy. Jones also has as reliable of hands as you'll find and can really get open with his short area burst. That burst also makes him dangerous after the catch. I honestly think he can be a borderline #1 WR. He's really a hell of a player, but it's down played a little here because he has a couple minor flaws that are really nothing but when you compare them to Jennings, Driver and Nelson I think the tendency is to think maybe he's not very good when really it's just a very tough scale.

mission
06-28-2008, 01:51 PM
bro JH you're basing a lot of that on what ? best case scenerio... you seem to be extrapolating a lot of data that just really doesnt exist.

i see all the qualities you list about jones but until he can hold onto the ball after a slant catch then it's all for moot. you gotta make plays and in doing so, prevent the defense from makin them.

i havent seen it yet.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Then, during next years draft (as much as I would hate to do this) we could trade Driver for a 2nd rounder and go forward with three young starting caliber WR's and and extra 2nd round pick for a guy who is near the end of his career.

There aint' one GM gonna give up a second round pick for a 34 year old possesion receiver. Get off the pipe.

footballfever
06-28-2008, 04:37 PM
All I want to know is, how is it possible that every single receiver we draft in the 2nd round and in most cases later ends up better than the receivers the Lions take in the 1st round? I'm not just talking about the first round I'm talking the top 10 of the first round...... We can bitch up a storm in forums all day long but at the end of it all just think about that. Since TT has been here we've been blessed with deep drafts all across the board. This isn't a TT post but damn, just think about it.

woodbuck27
06-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I was looking at the film on JN last night. I believe he's very special... as in 'really talented'.

He has great hands and abilty to break tackles and gain huge yards after the catch as he smells 6 Pt's.He's shifty like a solid RB and he has two gears. Fast and overdrive. Any luck and he'll step right in, in another year.

twoseven
06-28-2008, 06:06 PM
these were two of my favorites, they have little to do with any highlights. seems like a great down to earth kid with a great family.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_CLchhPPidY&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6Foi8IehY&feature=related

mission
06-28-2008, 07:20 PM
these were two of my favorites, they have little to do with any highlights. seems like a great down to earth kid with a great family.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_CLchhPPidY&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6Foi8IehY&feature=related

those are great videos thanks!! his family is so "down home" ... i wanna eat at their house some night ;-)

this is where someone brings up "packer people" and how neat that is .. but hey, sometimes it is! :D

he's gonna be a beast!

Lurker64
06-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I have to say that I was initially skeptical about the whole "Packer People" mantra, and I'm still a little bit skeptical but I do give Thompson a fair bit of credit for bringing in a bunch of guys who aren't going to want to get out of Green Bay at the earliest opportunity or become locker room malcontents. There's great chemistry in this organization by all accounts, but Green Bay Wisconsin is a small town in the upper midwest, it's certainly not for everybody, but all the impressions I get are that the folks Thompson has brought in are happy being where they are and that's too his credit.

If anybody in the NFL is going to be comfortable in a town with the size and demographics of Green Bay, it's probably somebody like Jordy.

Packers4Ever
06-28-2008, 08:39 PM
OK, so I just got done watching a bunch of Youtube videos. I know highlight films are exactly that and so on, so forth, but...

damn!!

im drinkin jordy kool aid... he is like a taller wes walker who is nearly impossible to take down at first contact. he can pass too! there's one where it took like 7 guys to bring him down and he seems to have that DD "catch, plant, juke" move that's so important in the WCO

but here's the kicker...

he produced non stop all year.. huge numbers... why so low in the draft despite huge production? 1) he's white (i mean, come on duh!) and 2) he looks slow as shit!

BUT

watch this lil youtuber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

he burns the shit out of talib it's not even funny... blazing fast.. football speed and his field awareness (granted, big 12, i know...) seems way beyond anyone elses.

im all for it... this is gonna be an exciting year i feel ... strangely.

TT might be a genius after all.. i think i signed up on firetedthompson.com after the randy moss no-trade but ISW ("im so wrong" ... new acronym for this forum cuz it should be said by a lot of folks lol)

When do the Tshirts come out ? :wow:

mraynrand
06-28-2008, 09:41 PM
IS Jordy Nelson still a better receiver than Bill Schroeder?

Zool
06-28-2008, 09:47 PM

Well I realize the UW-LaCrosse is a football factory, but I'm gonna give Jordy the lead for now. If he can put up 4500 yards in 8 seasons, I'll call him better.

Sad, no brains Bill started 78 of his 111 games and still could only manage 41ypg. Guy was fast as hell, dumber than a bag of hammers and had 0 courage when going for a ball. There was probably a reason he couldn't get into a 1A school.

oregonpackfan
06-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I'll reserve judgments on Nelson until I see him play in a few games at the pro levels. His college highlights films are impressive. What remains to be seen if he can successfully transfer those skills to the pro level.

mission
06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
I'll reserve judgments on Nelson until I see him play in a few games at the pro levels. His college highlights films are impressive. What remains to be seen if he can successfully transfer those skills to the pro level.

your post would make a really long acronym but ive seen that one so much too... oh, if i had a nickle..

(but ya, you're right :glug:)

mission
06-28-2008, 10:38 PM
what should the shirts say... maybe il make a couple

"Sorry Ted!
We Were Wrong About You"
-PackerRats.com

:D

HarveyWallbangers
06-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I think the best case sinerio is that Driver, Jenning and Jone all have big years and Nelson shows promise in his limited minutes as well as during practice. Then, during next years draft (as much as I would hate to do this) we could trade Driver for a 2nd rounder and go forward with three young starting caliber WR's and and extra 2nd round pick for a guy who is near the end of his career.

Driver is tons better than Jones. Jones is strong and usually has good hands. Other than that, he's a huge step down from the starters. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nelson was the 3rd WR by the end of the year. Nelson is a better prospect coming out. He's bigger and faster. His hands are considered a strength. He's also considered a good route runner. My guess is that Jones holds down the 3rd WR spot, but only until Nelson is 100% comfortable with the offense.

Zool
06-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Driver is tons better than Jones. Jones is strong and usually has good hands. Other than that, he's a huge step down from the starters. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nelson was the 3rd WR by the end of the year. Nelson is a better prospect coming out. He's bigger and faster. His hands are considered a strength. He's also considered a good route runner. My guess is that Jones holds down the 3rd WR spot, but only until Nelson is 100% comfortable with the offense.

We disagree on this one. All everyone ever talked about with Jones was his ability to catch anything that came near him. It was the talk of camp last year. He has a full year in the offense also. The problems for this group will start after next season if Driver still wants to play. Hopefully I'm wrong.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Where's Tank? :)

HarveyWallbangers
06-29-2008, 06:31 PM
We disagree on this one. All everyone ever talked about with Jones was his ability to catch anything that came near him. It was the talk of camp last year. He has a full year in the offense also. The problems for this group will start after next season if Driver still wants to play. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yes, and then he dropped some in actual games. That's why I said he's good for usually being sure-handed.

Zool
06-29-2008, 09:03 PM

Yes, and then he dropped some in actual games. That's why I said he's good for usually being sure-handed.

Ahh...when you said about Nelson that his hands are a strength, sounded like you meant that Jones' hands werent considered one of his strengths.