PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs. bengals '92...

gbgary
06-29-2008, 08:20 AM
will be on nfl network monday at 7:00 pm ct. the beginning of the Favre era.

gbgary
06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
time correction. :oops:

Cleft Crusty
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Cleft Crusty highly recommends watching this game. Not only will you see all the attributes that made Favre one of the top 10 QBs of all time, you will also see all the attributes that prevented him from being THE best of all time. In addition, you'll get a glimpse at the third best WR in Packer history, Sterling Sharpe (Lofton, Hutson). If you look up in the Press Box in the third Quarter, you may also get a glimpse of 'Ole Clefty doubled over with appendicitis. I had emergency surgery right after I submitted my story.

KYPack
06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
CC is one of everybodies fav posters.

"had emergency surgery right after I submitted my story."

Now that is some great fabric for the post!

gbgary
06-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Cleft Crusty highly recommends watching this game. Not only will you see all the attributes that made Favre one of the top 10 QBs of all time, you will also see all the attributes that prevented him from being THE best of all time. In addition, you'll get a glimpse at the third best WR in Packer history, Sterling Sharpe (Lofton, Hutson). If you look up in the Press Box in the third Quarter, you may also get a glimpse of 'Ole Clefty doubled over with appendicitis. I had emergency surgery right after I submitted my story.

historic on many fronts! :D you played with pain and finished the game.

is someone going to start an official Packers/bengals game thread? :D

red
06-30-2008, 08:24 PM
we've come a long ways in 16 years

thats the brett i remember hating with a passion

gbgary
06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
i never hated him. i loved majik but i was on-board with Brett from this game on. he reminded of elway so much. it would piss off my Packer buddies when i said so. it's gonna be real different not having him around but i'm excited to see what the future will be like. Rodgers has the skills if he can just stay healthy...but you can say that about anyone.

MJZiggy
06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
i never hated him. i loved majik but i was on-board with Brett from this game on. he reminded of elway so much. it would piss off my Packer buddies when i said so. it's gonna be real different not having him around but i'm excited to see what the future will be like. Rodgers has the skills if he can just stay healthy...but you can say that about anyone.

Except Grossman.

gbgary
06-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Except Grossman.

:D well...you got me there.

Pacopete4
06-30-2008, 09:39 PM

I loooooove that Brett Favre!.. I would take him now or then, but I think I prefer then cuz there were a couple games over that past couple years I think he wins when he was younger..

red
06-30-2008, 09:54 PM

I loooooove that Brett Favre!.. I would take him now or then, but I think I prefer then cuz there were a couple games over that past couple years I think he wins when he was younger..

not brett that first year, in 93 he was much better and thats when i started to like him

but he was completely out of control that first year, i wanted detmer to take over so bad

red
06-30-2008, 10:02 PM
lol, an on field reporter grabs kitrick taylor right after the game and runs him over to a camera with a huge smile on his face, thinking he's going to interview the big story of the game

while favre walks off the field, with just one camera next to him

whoops

taylor played 6 seasons in the nfl, and that was his only td

MJZiggy
06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
whoops

taylor played 6 seasons in the nfl, and that was his only td

See? That was news. No other reporter ever got an interview with Taylor after he scored the touchdown. It's an exclusive, baby!!!

KYPack
06-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Always wondered who was the first announcer to dub Brett "The Gunslinger".

I assumed it was John Madden.

In the Bengal Pack broadcast, Ahmad Rashad commented a few plays after Brett's first completion that Favre was a gunslinger.

Favre's moniker coined by Ahmad Rashad ?

How shitty.

There were several Packers I totally forgot. Buford McGee could've dropped down from Mars for all I remember.

Wolfman should've kept both Paup & tony Bennet. Man. they were good backers.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 10:35 PM
not brett that first year, in 93 he was much better and thats when i started to like him

but he was completely out of control that first year, i wanted detmer to take over so bad

Actually, Brett was solid his rookie year. Had a couple of bad games, but was more good than bad. He even made the Pro Bowl. He then regressed his second year. He was horrible in 1993 (the playoff game at Detroit notwithstanding) and started off 1994 shaky also. The light went off, and the rest was history after that.

KYPack
06-30-2008, 11:00 PM

Actually, Brett was solid his rookie year. Had a couple of bad games, but was more good than bad. He even made the Pro Bowl. He then regressed his second year. He was horrible in 1993 (the playoff game at Detroit notwithstanding) and started off 1994 shaky also. The light went off, and the rest was history after that.

At the Packer Bar, we all had yellow foam "Favre Bricks". When Brett did something real stupid, we'd fire 'em at the screen. Sometime in his 4th year, we all lost 'em.

Detmer never fired me up, too small with a noodle arm.

Mark Brunell inerested me, but I always felt the Walrus had to stick with BLF.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM

Me too, but at one point I think we were in the minority. My Dad was fed up with him. I just saw too much talent to give up on.

Bretsky
06-30-2008, 11:13 PM

Me too, but at one point I think we were in the minority. My Dad was fed up with him. I just saw too much talent to give up on.

I never turned my back on BF; just saw too much potential

I actually had many many fights with the in laws on whether we should go through growing pains (as I saw them) or bench his tail.

They were football morons; few things are better than being right with in-laws :lol:

mraynrand
07-01-2008, 07:37 AM

In the Bengal Pack broadcast, Ahmad Rashad commented a few plays after Brett's first completion that Favre was a gunslinger.

Nah. Favre was known as a gunslinger coming out of college. But you have a point about the announcers - they were awful - Rashad because he's just a poor talent and Jim Lamprey because he's a fish out of water - when it was 10-0 he said it was "10-Love." You always cringe when these "Wide world of Sports" or Ice skating announcers (like Vern Lungfish) get a football game and they start comparing Favre to a jai ali player they saw last week in Brazil or to Katerina Witt. Scratching your head thinking WTF?

KYPack
07-01-2008, 07:53 AM

Nah. Favre was known as a gunslinger coming out of college. But you have a point about the announcers - they were awful - Rashad because he's just a poor talent and Jim Lamprey because he's a fish out of water - when it was 10-0 he said it was "10-Love." You always cringe when these "Wide world of Sports" or Ice skating announcers (like Vern Lungfish) get a football game and they start comparing Favre to a jai ali player they saw last week in Brazil or to Katerina Witt. Scratching your head thinking WTF?

It's "Lampley", Ayn.

"Lamprey" is that evil fish that used to terrorize Lake Michigan. Maybe it should be Lamprey.

Yeah, the "3 love" references made my skin crawl, too.

Rashad has been doing that NBA show for so long, I forgot he was a football guy. Great player, lousy announcer.

Those two were raving about the Bengals and little Davey Shula and missed the birth of a Superstar and HOFer.

I have to make fun of one other person. Me. I find myself rooting for the Pack during 18 year old replays. I was pissed when the Bengals got to kick that field goal over in the last 2 minutes. You forget that the game is in the bag and pull for the G&G.

It's a reflex.

The Leaper
07-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Damn Terrell Buckley! He's the guy who we should have had the foam bricks for. Hang on to the ball, midget!

One of my favorite plays of that game is when Butler just laid out a RB during the Bengals last FG drive. Butler was a stud!

mraynrand
07-01-2008, 08:35 AM
It's "Lampley", Ayn.

"Lamprey" is that evil fish that used to terrorize Lake Michigan. Maybe it should be Lamprey.

No kidding. It's Vern Lundquist, not LUNGFISH also. As Jim Lamprey would say: "I just overtricked you!!" (That's a bridge term for 'each trick won by the declarer in excess of the contract' - Jim learned that covering the National Bridge Championships in Normal, IL for ABCs' Wide World of Sports - spanning the globe to bring you the most boring competitions that you can possibly show at 11AM on a July Saturday)

Patler
07-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Remember when the young Favre used to start almost every game so psyched up that he would throw 100mph screen passes, and throw his first few passes so hard downfield that they would sail over receivers heads by 10 feet? Game after game you would see Sharp or someone on the sideline looking up as a ball just took off, not even close enough to jump for.

Holmgren once said the goal was to get Favre through the first two offensive series without killing someone with his "rocket ball". After that, he would calm down and be fine.

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I think, even that, has been overstated. I'd say at least half the games he was fine. It did happen during some big games early in his career. The Dallas games were always hard to get through the first few throws.

Patler
07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I think, even that, has been overstated. I'd say at least half the games he was fine. It did happen during some big games early in his career. The Dallas games were always hard to get through the first few throws.

I'll let Holmgren know you disagree! :D

Patler
07-01-2008, 09:33 AM

Seriously though, Holmgren said he specifically scripted the early throws to get Favre through it without damage; sideline passes that no one would catch (including DBs), etc. He also said he had to let him throw deep early in each game, just to get it out of his system.

It was always worse in big games, but cropped up frequently in regular games as well.

Deputy Nutz
07-01-2008, 01:58 PM
That pass, boy o boy that pass. One of the greatest throws of all time. 38 yards on a frozen rope.

Fosco33
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
They just played it again on NFLN.

Man - what a great end to that game! Amazing to see Favre so young and extremly emotional afterwards. And all the crap that T-Buck gets here - he had that 58 yard punt return to touch off the rally... imagine if that hadn't happened. Sure, Favre would still be a legend but wouldn't have had that special start.

Thanks T-buck (never thought I'd say that).

Deputy Nutz
07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Does the "Come Back Kid" have one more left in him? The biggest and last come back of his career, coming out of retirement.

I guess I was one that thought Favre should walk away after his retirement. Leave it alone go with the decision you made, but as training camp approaches less than a month away the realization is that Favre isn't going to be a Green Bay Jersey and I have a hard time dealing with it.

Gunakor
07-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Man - what a great end to that game! Amazing to see Favre so young and extremly emotional afterwards. And all the crap that T-Buck gets here - he had that 58 yard punt return to touch off the rally... imagine if that hadn't happened. Sure, Favre would still be a legend but wouldn't have had that special start.

Sure, but the cocky bastard could have easily fumbled that one away holding the ball out away from his body with one hand while still in traffic at the 20 yard line. You get chewed out in high school for pulling a stunt like that. Damn rookies...

Patler
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I wonder how Packer fans would have felt about Buckley if it weren't for his mouth? He lasted a lot of years and had 50 interceptions. The Packer career record is 52 by Dillon. Willie Wood is second with 48. No one else has even 40 as a Packer.

DonHutson
07-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I wonder how Packer fans would have felt about Buckley if it weren't for his mouth? He lasted a lot of years and had 50 interceptions. The Packer career record is 52 by Dillon. Willie Wood is second with 48. No one else has even 40 as a Packer.

If Buckley had accumulated all of those picks in Green Bay and if he kept his mouth shut? I think his legacy would be similar to that of Glenn Robinson. High draft pick who didn't live up to the hype, scored a ton of points, gave up even more. Not particularly likable, but he didn't talk much so people generally gave him a pass.

But he didn't keep his mouth shut and he didn't get most of those picks in Green Bay. So instead he's what? The rich man's Ahmad Carroll? And much like Tony Mandarich, the biggest tragedy is missing out on other great players (in this case Troy Vincent).

The Leaper
07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
But he didn't keep his mouth shut and he didn't get most of those picks in Green Bay. So instead he's what? The rich man's Ahmad Carroll?

C'mon now. Buckley doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Carroll. Buckley was a bona-fide NFL starter for many years. Carroll never should've set foot in the NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 03:12 PM

Sure, but the cocky bastard could have easily fumbled that one away holding the ball out away from his body with one hand while still in traffic at the 20 yard line. You get chewed out in high school for pulling a stunt like that. Damn rookies...

He fumbled late in the game on a punt return. It almost cost them the game, but the defense held the Bengals to a FG.

Patler
07-01-2008, 04:35 PM
But he didn't keep his mouth shut and he didn't get most of those picks in Green Bay. So instead he's what? The rich man's Ahmad Carroll?

C'mon now. Buckley doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Carroll. Buckley was a bona-fide NFL starter for many years. Carroll never should've set foot in the NFL.

I agree with Leaper on this one. Buckley was a legitimate NFL corner. Not a great one, but a legitimate one. The guy was a starter for 8 years with three different teams and played 14 years. His cover skills were good. His run support not quite so much, but he wasn't a guy that got burned in the passing game all the time. He was good enough to contribute in a Super Bowl game and get his ring.

Certainly a much better player than Carroll ever was.

red
07-01-2008, 08:16 PM
that game was a snapshot of t-bucks time in gb

he drops an int, and makes a good play in coverage a bit later, then returns a punt for a td, then fumbles a punt a bit later

guy was frustrating, but he did play for 13 years or so