motife
06-29-2008, 09:39 AM
http://gnb.scout.com/2/765716.html

Mr. Rodgers' neighborhood
By Bob Fox
greenbaybob@hotmail.com
Posted Jun 29, 2008

Why Green Bay's new starting QB will pick up where Favre left off

On March 6, 2007, Aaron Rodgers' world changed significantly. On that day, Brett Favre formally announced his retirement in a tearful good-bye at the fourth floor Legends room at the Lambeau Field atrium. After 16 years of being the man at QB for Green Bay, including 253 (275 including playoffs) consecutive starts, Favre decided to pass the torch to Rodgers as the new captain of the Packer ship.
Rodgers has big shoes to fill for sure, as Favre holds most of the NFL passing records, including touchdown passes with the 442 he has thrown, has won three MVP awards, been named to nine Pro Bowls, won seven divisional titles, led his team to the playoffs 11 times, won the most games ever as a QB with 160 wins, played in four NFC Championship games, played in two Super Bowls and won there once raising the Vince Lombardi Trophy in 1997.

Favre thinks Rodgers can be successful.

"I wish Aaron well," Favre said. "I think he'll do a great job. I think he has the talent." But Rodgers has to be his OWN man, just like Favre was. "I know everyone's made comments that, 'Boy, big shoes to fill,' " Favre said. "The only shoes he has to fill is himself. He doesn't need to play like Brett Favre. It's all about the cast around you, it's about the coaching staff. If you stay focused on the fact that it's not about you - they obviously drafted him because he has the talent, mental capabilities - he'll be fine. Hopefully one day he's sitting here where I am and able to experience what I've been able to experience."

Rodgers certainly showed he had the right stuff in 2007. Rodgers showed he had excellent comprehension of Mike McCarthy's offense in the preseason of 2007 and in a regular-season game at Dallas, where Rodgers almost led the Packers to a win after a Favre injury.

In the Dallas game, Rodgers threw 20 completions in 28 attempts (71.4 percent) for 218 yards, with one touchdown and a passer rating of 106. McCarthy and quarterback's coach Tom Clements would take those stats every week.

In 2008, Rodgers will have his feet to the fire immediately. On Sept. 8, on ESPN's Monday night Football, Rodgers and the Packers will open up the season against the Minnesota Vikings at Lambeau Field. The Vikings are being talked about as contenders in the NFC, as the Minnesota already stout defense added Jared Allen and are led on offense by Adrian Peterson. In fact, Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated picked the Vikes to win the Super Bowl this year.

Besides facing the Vikings that night, the Packers will retire the No. 4 jersey of Favre. So besides replacing a legend, Rodgers gets to play in front of the legend his first step out of the gate. But Rodgers seems to have the right demeanor to handle all of that. Rodgers has also tried to make sure that he and his teammates bond off the field as well.

Rodgers has been holding get-togethers at his house every week to bond with his teammates.

"I’ve always been open, a guy that wants to be involved not only working together but in the lives of these guys," Rodgers said. "That’s why I’ve been having guys over once a week, just because I want us to be a connected team on and off the field."

Rodgers has connected in the past for sure. At Cal, where Rodgers started for two years, the offense was ranked first in the Pac 10 conference in passing efficiency, and was fourth nationally Rodgers' senior year. The Bears were also fifth nationally in total offense and 6th nationally in scoring. And this was in a conference with USC in it. By the way, Rodgers and the Bears upset the Trojans once as well.

Mike McCarthy has put together a very dynamic offense for the Packers. Favre had his best season in 2007 in many years. Favre's completion percentage of 66.5 was the best of his career. His seven 300-yard passing games tied a career high, and his 4,155 passing yards (third-best of his career), 95.7 passer rating (third), 15 interceptions (tied for third) and 356 completions (fourth) were among the best marks of his 17-year career.

Rodgers showed in 2007 that he too, can make this offense a scary one for opposing defenses. Rodgers will be successful if he can remain healthy. Rodgers pulled a hamstring the week after the Cowboys game in 2007, and also suffered a broken foot in 2006 in relief of Favre. Rodgers knows this as well.

"That was definitely a game (Cowboys) where everything came together," Rodgers said. "That's the kind of game I expect from myself, and hopefully if I can stay healthy this year, then there will be more performances like that."

Rodgers can handle the obstacles in front of him.

"I think laid back is the best way to describe me. I'm pretty even keel," Rodgers said. "Through the ups and downs I'm a competitor, a very fierce competitor and I want to win more than anybody."

That will take some doing as Favre has won more games in the NFL than any other QB. And Favre also won a Super Bowl. While Rodgers grew up in Northern California, he watched a guy named Joe Montana lead the San Francisco 49ers to 4 Super Bowl wins. Rodgers was a winner at Cal, and I expect he will be a winner in Green Bay.

Gene Ronzani had the tough task of replacing Curly Lambeau as head coach of the Packers. Phil Bengsten had the unenviable job of replacing Vince Lombardi as head coach. Scott Hunter had to try and be the next Bart Starr. It won't be the first time that someone has tried to replace a legend in Packers' history. However, unlike the other examples, I think Rodgers will succeed in replacing Favre. 1265 Lombardi Avenue in Green Bay is HIS neighborhood now.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 09:51 AM
On March 6, 2007

Um. I hate to be a turd, but, he didn't retire last year.

Packerarcher
06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
People really are nuts if they think the Pack will be as good with Rodgers as Favre. Heres a question for you all. If Brett announced tommorow that he was coming back,who would you want more fore the starter. Just answer what comes to your mind,don't analyze and pick apart the question.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Just answer what comes to your mind,don't analyze and pick apart the question.

A-Rod. Favre sucked in the title game.

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
People really are nuts if they think the Pack will be as good with Rodgers as Favre. Heres a question for you all. If Brett announced tommorow that he was coming back,who would you want more fore the starter. Just answer what comes to your mind,don't analyze and pick apart the question.

Oh gosh this one could start a forum war :lol: there are some in here happy to see Favre leave

For me it's an easy question. I'd take a fully dedicated Favre back.

oregonpackfan
06-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Oh gosh this one could start a forum war :lol: there are some in here happy to see Favre leave

Even if Favre were completely dedicated, we have to remember he will be 39 years old this October. Even if the "mind" is completely willing, there comes a time when the "body" can't keep up with the mind's will.

Physically, Favre was remarkable in his durability and football longevity. As someone who is long past Jack Benny's "39" I can personally tell you the body just starts slowing and wearing down.

Favre might be able to play this year but the chances of his performance declining as well as his receiving a serious, season-ending injury would be magnified greatly.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
OK, I'll admit it. I've had the thought for 4 months, alluded to it and now, I'll downright say it.

I believe A-Rod would have won the NFC Title game. Favre was a statue. Grant was worse. I believe Favre should have been benched.

You all can't get any more pissed at me than I was at Favre. Remember, that game was at 3 in the morning for me.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Jaaaaaaaaasuuuuusssssss.

Pathetic. :cry:

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Are you saying Favre didn't suck in the title game, Buck?

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 10:53 AM
OK, I'll admit it. I've had the thought for 4 months, alluded to it and now, I'll downright say it.

I believe A-Rod would have won the NFC Title game. Favre was a statue. Grant was worse. I believe Favre should have been benched.

You all can't get any more pissed at me than I was at Favre. Remember, that game was at 3 in the morning for me.

Ohh jeeeee.... 3 AM.

Do you still spit on people 'in the ground' ?

Yes... there was something very wrong with Brett Favre and a lot of other Packers. They played stiff because of shock to the elments.Where was the team prepared for that NFC Tile game Tarlam! ?

The Giants came into Green Bay underdogs, loose and better prepared.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 10:56 AM

OK lets roll mj.

No. Favre didn't SUCK in the Title game.

Joemailman
06-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Favre was neither great nor the reason we lost that game. Although he threw the key interception, he also threw for 200+ yards and 2 TD's. That should be enough to win in below zero temperatures. If not, your real problems lie elsewhere. The real downfall on offense was the running game. Do people think we'd be better off with Brandon Jackson at RB this year because Ryan Grant didn't produce against the Giants?

GBRulz
06-29-2008, 11:12 AM

So Arod could have thrown more than 200 yards and a couple TD's? Arod could control the fact that Grant was invisible and M3 had completely abandoned the run game? Arod could have played corner and not have his ass torched by Burress? Arod could have had the team better prepared to not play like babies in the cold weather?

Then hell yeah, Favre should have been benched.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Favre was neither great nor the reason we lost that game. Although he threw the key interception, he also threw for 200+ yards and 2 TD's. That should be enough to win in below zero temperatures. If not, your real problems lie elsewhere. The real downfall on offense was the running game. Do people think we'd be better off with Brandon Jackson at RB this year because Ryan Grant didn't produce against the Giants?

Regardless of the numbers, Joe, Favre sucked. Grant was worse. No wonder the Packer brass are struggling to sign Grant. That last game was abysmal.

And yes, Favre threw for 240. He still sucked. At no time during that game did I feel he was in a position to win. He played like a loser, he lost. Go ahead and stone me. I know what I saw. i saw a loser. I love Favre. I love my son and my daughter, too. Don't meen I am blind to their faults.

GBRulz
06-29-2008, 11:14 AM

Even if Favre were completely dedicated, we have to remember he will be 39 years old this October. Even if the "mind" is completely willing, there comes a time when the "body" can't keep up with the mind's will.

Physically, Favre was remarkable in his durability and football longevity. As someone who is long past Jack Benny's "39" I can personally tell you the body just starts slowing and wearing down.

Favre might be able to play this year but the chances of his performance declining as well as his receiving a serious, season-ending injury would be magnified greatly.

Favre's durability at 38 years old is better than Aaron's at 24. I guess until I saw some evidence that he couldn't be durable, I would have to disagree with this one. see, I find that Favre's body was more durable and his mind is what let to his retirement.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
So Arod could have thrown more than 200 yards and a couple TD's? Arod could control the fact that Grant was invisible and M3 had completely abandoned the run game? Arod could have played corner and not have his ass torched by Burress? Arod could have had the team better prepared to not play like babies in the cold weather?

I am OK with what I said on this, and, I knew where you stood before you posted. I love Favre, too. You know I do.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 11:18 AM

Ohh jeeeee.... 3 AM.

Do you still spit on people 'in the ground' ?

Yes... there was something very wrong with Brett Favre and a lot of other Packers. They played stiff because of shock to the elements.

Where was the team prepared for that NFC Tile game Tarlam! ?

The Giants came into Green Bay underdogs, loose and better prepared.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 11:18 AM
see, I find that Favre's body was more durable and his mind is what let to his retirement.

I totally agree with this.

Packerarcher
06-29-2008, 11:38 AM

I think you are wrong on that one Tarlam. If we are foing to start placing blame on individual players and not the whole team for the loss of the Title game,how about Al(Igot my ass burned)Harris. Myself I still think the green Bay coaching staff underestimated the Giants,after the early season win. I don't think the Packer coaches were prepared at all. But that's a whole different topic. As far as Brett being 39 it doesn't matter for him,he has old school mental toughness. I very much doubt hang nail Rodgers has a quarter of the grit/heart that Brett does.

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
hang nail Rodgers

:lol: :lol:

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Packerarcher, I am happy if I am wrong. We can blame a CB all day long. If that CB earns 10 million dollars per year, than lets nail him to a tree.

Brett Favre earned 10 million dollars a year.

As a fan. I was distraught by the lack of Grant in that game. The residual distress is that I cannot fathom calling TT out over not signing him. The reality is, I don't give a toss. I believe Wynn will do just fine.

But back to the plot!

Watching that game, I never felt Favre was in command. If I didn't 3000 miles away, did his team mates?

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:04 PM

I am OK with what I said on this, and, I knew where you stood before you posted. I love Favre, too. You know I do.

Bullshit my friend.Get real please. :)

LOVE doesn't translate to expecting so much fr. anyone 'you love' Tarlam!.

Who called the plays in that game and in OT.Favre? Who prepared the Packers to be ready for the game and conditions. Favre?

Of course not.

No Packer player should be ' the fall guy' for that OT loss. Certainly not Brett Favre.

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Here's why your dead wrong making such 'a low blow' comment Tarlam!:

On March 6, 2007, Aaron Rodgers' world changed significantly. On that day, Brett Favre formally announced his retirement in a tearful good-bye at the fourth floor Legends room at the Lambeau Field atrium. After 16 years of being the man at QB for Green Bay, including 253 (275 including playoffs) consecutive starts, Favre decided to pass the torch to Rodgers as the new captain of the Packer ship.

Rodgers has big shoes to fill for sure, as Favre holds most of the NFL passing records, including touchdown passes with the 442 he has thrown, has won three MVP awards, been named to nine Pro Bowls, won seven divisional titles, led his team to the playoffs 11 times, won the most games ever as a QB with 160 wins, played in four NFC Championship games, played in two Super Bowls and won there once raising the Vince Lombardi Trophy in 1997.

Favre thinks Rodgers can be successful.

"I wish Aaron well," Favre said.

"I think he'll do a great job. I think he has the talent." But Rodgers has to be his OWN man, just like Favre was. "I know everyone's made comments that, 'Boy, big shoes to fill,' " Favre said.

"The only shoes he has to fill is himself. He doesn't need to play like Brett Favre. It's all about the cast around you, it's about the coaching staff. If you stay focused on the fact that it's not about you - they obviously drafted him because he has the talent, mental capabilities - he'll be fine. Hopefully one day he's sitting here where I am and able to experience what I've been able to experience."

PACKERS FOREVER.

GBRulz
06-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Packerarcher, I am happy if I am wrong. We can blame a CB all day long. If that CB earns 10 million dollars per year, than lets nail him to a tree.

Ok my friend, now you're reaching a bit.... trying to compare the salaries of a QB position vs a CB ??

BallHawk
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Favre is a better QB than Rodgers as of now. I would rather have Favre as the QB of the Packers from strictly a talent viewpoint.

However, Favre said he was retiring from professional football. With that, the Packers decided to move forward with Aaron as their QB.

Favre deciding to come back now would be disrespectful to Packers front office and Aaron Rodgers.

I love Favre to death but I want him to stay retired.

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Regardless of the numbers, Joe, Favre sucked. Grant was worse. No wonder the Packer brass are struggling to sign Grant. That last game was abysmal.

And yes, Favre threw for 240. He still sucked. At no time during that game did I feel he was in a position to win. He played like a loser, he lost. Go ahead and stone me. I know what I saw. i saw a loser. I love Favre. I love my son and my daughter, too. Don't meen I am blind to their faults.

What was abysmal was the play of our OG's; that had a bigger effect on Ryan Grant than anything else. We were schooled

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Are you saying he did suck ?

IMO over the course of the game Favre did not suck

You want to look at players who might have sucked in that game. Start with our interior OL, then go to Al Harris......

Then if you want to look at players who made one fatal play you can look at the last throw by Favre, Brandon Jackson on the screen, and Ruvell Martin on the critical drop.

falco
06-29-2008, 12:41 PM
favre sucked that game, but so did everyone else...

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:47 PM
favre sucked that game, but so did everyone else...

The TEAM wasn't properly prepared.

Stay tuned. :D

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 12:47 PM

You want to look at players who might have sucked in that game. Start with our interior OL, then go to Al Harris......

Then if you want to look at players who made one fatal play you can look at the last throw by Favre, Brandon Jackson on the screen, and Ruvell Martin on the critical drop.

When Favre came out of the tunnel, I said to myself "oh shit we're going to lose." You could always tell when it was a done deal ahead of time. Did he suck? Yes. Did the o-line suck? yes. Did my honey Al suck? yes. But the fact is other people can suck and it's not such a huge deal. When Favre sucks, everything tends to fall apart.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 12:49 PM

When Favre came out of the tunnel, I said to myself "oh shit we're going to lose." You could always tell when it was a done deal ahead of time. Did he suck? Yes. Did the o-line suck? yes. Did my honey Al suck? yes. But the fact is other people can suck and it's not such a huge deal. When Favre sucks, everything tends to fall apart.

Just 'like an eel'.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 12:55 PM

Ok my friend, now you're reaching a bit.... trying to compare the salaries of a QB position vs a CB ??

Michele, I am just reacting, not being proactive. Not in the slightest.

I do blame Grant and Favre for losing the NFC Championship game. I expected them both to lead us to a victory. They did not.

Al Harris was owned. I saw that, too. I blame him and Schotty for not helping Harris.

We were beaten by Paxico Burress. Are you seriously going to challenge me at saying PB is more capable that Harris? I don't think he is, but, he beat Harris to a pulp that day.

falco
06-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't think he is, but, he beat Harris to a pulp that day.

Thats why Williams will be starting in place of Harris by years end.

BallHawk
06-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I do blame Grant.... for losing the NFC Championship game. I expected them both to lead us to a victory. They did not.

Don't blame Grant for that game. Grant came ready to play. Blame the OL for not opening the holes for him and then blame McCarthy for abandoning the running game early.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 01:04 PM
I do blame Grant.... for losing the NFC Championship game. I expected them both to lead us to a victory. They did not.

Don't blame Grant for that game. Grant came ready to play. Blame the OL for not opening the holes for him and then blame McCarthy for abandoning the running game early.

I think the Giants had Grant's number. Or, he thought they did and played accordingly. He didn't even get 30 yards. Pathetic.

GBRulz
06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
We were beaten by Paxico Burress. Are you seriously going to challenge me at saying PB is more capable that Harris? I don't think he is, but, he beat Harris to a pulp that day.

Actually yeah I am because I think Harris struggles against the big physical receivers. It's not like Burress is the only WR who torched his ass last season. When teams did decide to pick on Harris, they often got away with it.

It just makes me mad that Burress didn't do crap all season and suddenly has one of his biggest games against us!! Just another piece to the puzzle of our team not being prepared to play that day.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, like you said, he did crap all season. Al had two terrible games IIRC. Dallas and the last game. Un friggin believable.

I love Al. If I don't buy a Kampmann Jersey, I'll buy a Harris Jersey. I love Al. But he played like shit.

And Grant was forgettable.

And Favre was "deer in the headlights" awful.

Just my opininion, and you all know I'm an idiot.

BallHawk
06-29-2008, 01:09 PM

I think the Giants had Grant's number. Or, he thought they did and played accordingly. He didn't even get 30 yards. Pathetic.

He was only given the ball 13 times. In the Seattle game he was given the ball 27 times, even though he had two early fumbles that lead to two early TDs for the Hawks.

Mike did not stick with the run as he should have. Mike admitted it himself.

GBRulz
06-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Just my opininion, and you all know I'm an idiot.

You're not an idiot..... you're just arguing with a woman, so of course you're going to be wrong. :lol:

falco
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Mike did not stick with the run as he should have. Mike admitted it himself.

Mike made 2 big mistakes - not sticking with the run, and not subbing in T-Williams for Harris as soon as he saw Harris was in over his head...either one could have won us that game.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Michele, I am just reacting, not being proactive. Not in the slightest.

I do blame Grant and Favre for losing the NFC Championship game. I expected them both to lead us to a victory. They did not.

Al Harris was owned. I saw that, too. I blame him and Schotty for not helping Harris.

Tarlam!

Your wobbleing but you've got mj at your back so take strength. You will see your perspective is ( gently) wrong.That's OK.

Time 'to grow'. :)

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I hope there's no Packer fan not behind Aaron Rodgers; :shock: but to slam Brett Favre after his career as OUR QB is to be open to get not ignorant. :shock: 'd

Then wake up.

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 02:22 PM

19-35 for 236 2TD's and 2 INT's
To me that does not suck

He sucked in quarter 4 and was pretty good up to that point.

the OL and B Jackson execute that screen he throws for 250 and one more TD

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 02:27 PM
When Favre came out of the tunnel, I said to myself "oh shit we're going to lose." You could always tell when it was a done deal ahead of time.

Think of all the money Vegas lost not hiring you as a consultant.

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
It's ok, I'll make it up reuniting guys with their exes. You never saw him come out of the tunnel flat and knew??? Never got that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach before a game and prayed it was wrong? Come on!!

RashanGary
06-29-2008, 02:50 PM
hang nail Rodgers

It's good to see that gives you some satisfaction, we all need some of it in our lives. It will be interesting to see who gets the last laugh.

TheCheese
06-29-2008, 04:04 PM
It's ok, I'll make it up reuniting guys with their exes. You never saw him come out of the tunnel flat and knew??? Never got that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach before a game and prayed it was wrong? Come on!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. Favre, for the past 5 years has had that happen to him on numerous occasions. Before a game hes got that glaze over his eyes like he doesn't want to be there. And each of those games hes had that, we have lost the game. I love Favre just as much as anyone here, but I saw that look on the Dallas game and I saw it vs the Giants.

TheCheese
06-29-2008, 04:05 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. Favre, for the past 5 years has had that happen to him on numerous occasions. Before a game hes got that glaze over his eyes like he doesn't want to be there. And each of those games hes had that, we have lost the game. I love Favre just as much as anyone here, but I saw that look on the Dallas game and I saw it vs the Giants.

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 06:20 PM
hang nail Rodgers

It's good to see that gives you some satisfaction, we all need some of it in our lives. It will be interesting to see who gets the last laugh.

Don't get so defensive JH. It was funny....has nothing to do with satisfaction.

Packnut
06-29-2008, 06:24 PM

The problem is your trying to talk sense to a few who just don't have a clue and quite frankly never will. They have a very limited concept of football. They believe the almighty QB is responsible for everything that happens on the field.

I've often wondered how their thought process could be so wrong. I think that due to the fact of just how complicated the game really has become, that it's just easier to blame the QB. It takes little thought and it simplifies the game for them.

I remember reading an article last year about how many things have to go right for a QB to complete a pass and just how little time he has in making the decision. It really opens your eyes up to just how tough being a QB is.

bobblehead
06-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Its insanely difficult, but you can't discount the effect a player who handles the ball on every offensive play has on a game. It is the single most important position on sports.

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 07:27 PM

I was at the game; never got that feelin

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 07:44 PM

I was at the game; never got that feelin

And you still fathered a child after freezing your **** off...Kudos!

Spaulding
06-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't post much but figure to weigh in here for whatever it's worth. In my opinion it's not that Favre sucked (the team as a whole dropped the ball) but it's that he looked old and cold in that game compared to Eli. We had multiple series of three and out where it looked like Favre was completely bothered by the cold and at times I wondered if he really cared if he was on the field or not.

Maybe this goes into his passion to retire in that although he loves the game, it's just that he doesn't love it was much as he used to and realizes that without the passion it's next to impossible to maintain his expected level of play at his age.

The offensive failures early on (I blame Favre to the most extent as he is the leader and cog for the team) resulted in the abandoning of the running game. Kind of skewed logic to blame a QB for the running game but my evidence for that would be if Favre could have pieced together a few more plays early on and allowed the drives to continue we may have worked out the kinks to the running game and kept the Giants offense off the field.

The comfort and respect factor tells me that with Favre we always have a chance to win, but the optimistic side of me thinks that Rodgers brand of play may be a better fit for McCarthy's offense and led to fewer turnovers and more consistent (if somewhat boring dink and dunk) drives.

Deep down I wish Favre would have said he would play one more year and receive a well earned send off and even possibly go out with another chance at a Superbowl but on the other hand Rodgers may lead us quite well and also give us that chance.

The net of this rambling post is that I have high hopes for Rodgers and expect another excellent season (11-5).

Merlin
06-29-2008, 08:35 PM

I think Favre could play until Rodgers retired and still be as effective as Rodgers will be this season for us. We all have high hopes for Rodgers but lets be reasonable about it. How long do we give Rodgers before we go to Brohm or someone else? I am willing to bet as long as Rodgers is healthy, as long as Favre stays retired, Rodgers is the starter until he departs Green Bay, no matter how well or how poorly he plays for us. The basic building block for an offense is the line and we have huge holes in ours. It won't be pretty in 2008 for Rodgers as it will take him some time to have the 6th sense to step out of the way instead of counting until 5 and taking off with the ball.

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Nicely put.

RashanGary
06-29-2008, 09:39 PM
The problem is your trying to talk sense to a few who just don't have a clue and quite frankly never will. They have a very limited concept of football. They believe the almighty QB is responsible for everything that happens on the field.

I've often wondered how their thought process could be so wrong. I think that due to the fact of just how complicated the game really has become, that it's just easier to blame the QB. It takes little thought and it simplifies the game for them.

I remember reading an article last year about how many things have to go right for a QB to complete a pass and just how little time he has in making the decision. It really opens your eyes up to just how tough being a QB is.

I agree with you for the most part. The QB is a very important piece. More important than the other pieces alone but there are so many other pieces that add up to be so much more than the QB. The LT and RT combined might be as important as the QB. The RB and #1 WR are probably as important as the QB. The #2 WR, FB and TE combined are probably close. The interior line is probably close. All together, the pieces surroudning the QB are much more important in whole than the single position of QB and that's before you take into account defense, ST's and depth.

Rodgers has a very good surrounding cast. He can be average and still have a good year with this bunch. And I don't think Nelson being added helps Rodgers all that much in this first year. I think he's going to bail out Rodgers many, many times if Rodgers can play for a couple years, but I don't think he's going to light the league on fire as a rookie. That almost never happens with rookie recievers and the Packers already have three good ones in front of him so he will not be pressed into action early.

In summary, Favre gone does very little to the defense. Him being gone does very little to the special teams. It does very little to the depth that will play when injuries hit. It will effect the offense, but I don't think it will be to the degree that many Favre lovers think it will.

HarveyWallbangers
06-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I have a bad feeling that Rodgers is destined to be injury prone. I hope I'm wrong. Not just because Favre was an iron man, and karma is a bitch. Also, because Harrell has been flapping his lips ripping Favre so much, and karma is a bitch.

RashanGary
06-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh, and packnut, weren't you one of the guys that said the Packers were completely doomed when #4 hung it up?

Deputy Nutz
06-29-2008, 10:14 PM
In summary, Favre gone does very little to the defense. Him being gone does very little to the special teams. It does very little to the depth that will play when injuries hit. It will effect the offense, but I don't think it will be to the degree that many Favre lovers think it will.

You are simply wrong. Go as Nick Barnett if he would rather take the defense out on the field on the opponents own 15 yard line or at the opponents 45 yard line? Ask the Packers punter if he would rather be punting out of his own end zone or at his own 35 yard line? Ask the Packers kicker if he would rather line up a chip shot 25 yard kick or a 47 yard kick? Field position is an absolute key into understanding a football game. Having a veteran QB like Favre, Montana, Elway helps in more ways than one. Sure Favre was a gunslinger, but he took his shots. Pinned down in his own ten yard line he is going to hopefully be more conservative, take what the defense gives him and look for some breathing room. Move the football in terms of field position not with the all out purpose of scoring points. A good quarterback will break the field up into chunks of yardage, instead of looking at it as one whole piece to conquer. It is sort of like Rugby, the closer you can pin your opponent down closer to his end zone the better chance you have to score points. So, you better believe it that a veteran QB like Favre was invaluable to the defense and to the special teams, he more than any other player in Green Bay had the most control in field position, and how to manage it. He could get the Packers, or cost the Packer's defense and special teams twenty yards quicker than any other player.

The Quarterback is without a doubt the most valuable position on the field because he touches the ball on every play. Think how pissed you get when an exchange between the center and QB goes wrong. Simplest things get taken for granted. Favre has never had a pro bowl tackle until Clifton went in 2007. he has had only two pro bowl running backs in Grenn and Levens, and he has had two pro bowl tight ends in Franks and Jackson. Sharpe, Freeman, Driver, and Walker have been his only pro bowl receivers. The QB is the uncondition leader of the offense and in most cases the whole team, good or bad he is the one that faces the media after every game. If the QB walks into the huddle and the other ten players have no confidence in him, I will show you a losing football team. Nobody huddles around the left tackle and looks to him every play for leadership and his playmaking ability. There is nothing magical about a left tackle, there is even less magic being a left guard, trust me I know. Even at the simplest level I can tell you first hand the amount of time during and after practice for a quarterback compared to a left tackle is at least triple. I might be one of the only poor bastards that played both offensive line and QB in high school. Even if you added up the time that the whole offensive line spent outside of practice reviewing and breaking down game plans, I still believe the QB puts in more time.

Break down the Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl run a few years back. Trent Dilfer was the starting QB. He might be the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl. How did he do it, he didn't. He managed it. He managed a great team. He had the number one defense and special teams unit in the game, he had a monster offensive line that was close to the best in football, and he had Jamal Lewis a very good rookie running back. It took all of that for a poor QB to win a Super Bowl. Very few teams have the best defense, and the best offensive line, and a highly capable running back. But that is exactly what it took to cover up the inabilities of a poor QB. It takes a whole hell of a lot more talent at other positions then it does to go out and find a capabable QB, but the truly great QBs like Favre, Manning, Elway, Montana, Young, Marino, Unitas, and Brady are like finding a needle in a haystack. There simply is no way to expect that Rodgers can come in and do the things Favre did, and put up the numbers Favre did as well, it is damn near impossible considering the precentages.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 10:34 PM

What part of 'the team' including Favre, were not properly prepared for that huge game by MM are you missing MJZiggy?

Our team looked frozen not just Favre. MM elected to run practises indoors?MM showed his inexperience. If Tom Coughlan had of gone Eli Manning to Plaxico Burress more. MM would have gotten entirely embarassed. Coughlan left MM off 'the hook'.

Why MM abandoned the running game is a huge question that he admitted he screwed up on.

Why MM called a sideline wide right passing pattern on Favre's pick in OT, and not a sideline run and shoot, really baffled me.That call set Favre up for too much chance of error under frigid conditions.

woodbuck27
06-29-2008, 10:46 PM

You are simply wrong. Go as Nick Barnett if he would rather take the defense out on the field on the opponents own 15 yard line or at the opponents 45 yard line? Ask the Packers punter if he would rather be punting out of his own end zone or at his own 35 yard line? Ask the Packers kicker if he would rather line up a chip shot 25 yard kick or a 47 yard kick? Field position is an absolute key into understanding a football game. Having a veteran QB like Favre, Montana, Elway helps in more ways than one. Sure Favre was a gunslinger, but he took his shots. Pinned down in his own ten yard line he is going to hopefully be more conservative, take what the defense gives him and look for some breathing room. Move the football in terms of field position not with the all out purpose of scoring points. A good quarterback will break the field up into chunks of yardage, instead of looking at it as one whole piece to conquer. It is sort of like Rugby, the closer you can pin your opponent down closer to his end zone the better chance you have to score points. So, you better believe it that a veteran QB like Favre was invaluable to the defense and to the special teams, he more than any other player in Green Bay had the most control in field position, and how to manage it. He could get the Packers, or cost the Packer's defense and special teams twenty yards quicker than any other player.

The Quarterback is without a doubt the most valuable position on the field because he touches the ball on every play. Think how pissed you get when an exchange between the center and QB goes wrong. Simplest things get taken for granted. Favre has never had a pro bowl tackle until Clifton went in 2007. he has had only two pro bowl running backs in Grenn and Levens, and he has had two pro bowl tight ends in Franks and Jackson. Sharpe, Freeman, Driver, and Walker have been his only pro bowl receivers. The QB is the uncondition leader of the offense and in most cases the whole team, good or bad he is the one that faces the media after every game. If the QB walks into the huddle and the other ten players have no confidence in him, I will show you a losing football team. Nobody huddles around the left tackle and looks to him every play for leadership and his playmaking ability. There is nothing magical about a left tackle, there is even less magic being a left guard, trust me I know. Even at the simplest level I can tell you first hand the amount of time during and after practice for a quarterback compared to a left tackle is at least triple. I might be one of the only poor bastards that played both offensive line and QB in high school. Even if you added up the time that the whole offensive line spent outside of practice reviewing and breaking down game plans, I still believe the QB puts in more time.

Break down the Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl run a few years back. Trent Dilfer was the starting QB. He might be the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl. How did he do it, he didn't. He managed it. He managed a great team. He had the number one defense and special teams unit in the game, he had a monster offensive line that was close to the best in football, and he had Jamal Lewis a very good rookie running back. It took all of that for a poor QB to win a Super Bowl. Very few teams have the best defense, and the best offensive line, and a highly capable running back. But that is exactly what it took to cover up the inabilities of a poor QB. It takes a whole hell of a lot more talent at other positions then it does to go out and find a capabable QB, but the truly great QBs like Favre, Manning, Elway, Montana, Young, Marino, Unitas, and Brady are like finding a needle in a haystack. There simply is no way to expect that Rodgers can come in and do the things Favre did, and put up the numbers Favre did as well, it is damn near impossible considering the precentages.

Good Nutz.

Awesome post Packer fans and for all to read carefully and understand.

Bretsky
06-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I have a bad feeling that Rodgers is destined to be injury prone. I hope I'm wrong. Not just because Favre was an iron man, and karma is a bitch. Also, because Harrell has been flapping his lips ripping Favre so much, and karma is a bitch.

In the past when JH flapped a lot about something things have turned out well; I hope it does this time too.

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Way to have that glass-half--wait a minute!! Who are you and what have you done with B? (and are you at least gonna share the white russians?)

Pugger
06-30-2008, 10:09 AM
I saw that glazed look in that second bare game last season too. :( But this thread should about Rodgers taking over and not about Brett. Check this out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3450317

cpk1994
06-30-2008, 11:07 AM

What was abysmal was the play of our OG's; that had a bigger effect on Ryan Grant than anything else. We were schooledACtually, I think M3 deciding not to give Grant the ball AT ALL at one point had the biggest effect on Grant.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 11:11 AM
ACtually, I think M3 deciding not to give Grant the ball AT ALL at one point had the biggest effect on Grant.

I agree. About the first time I was really complaining about McCarthy's playcalling. He went several series in the 3rd and 4th quarter where he just abandoned the run. That worked earlier in the year, but in those conditions I felt he should have stuck with it.

RashanGary
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
That was an awfull lot of wind to explain that in football the three pieces (offense, defnese and ST's) feed of each other in the form of time of possession and field position and I agree. I think the defense will be equal this year with our ST's being stronger (allowing Rodgers to have to do less to get the same result). I also believe the interior line will take another step forward and the RB's are stronger and the recievers more experienced and ready to pressure defenses (also allowing Rodgers to have to do less to achieve the same result).

The offense isn't going to fall apart with Brett gone. Maybe if Rodgers is injured I could see a huge drop off with the rookie, but Rodgers has a cannon as strong as Favre's, legs that are stronger and a work ethic that is better. Maybe he doesn't have the instinct and grit so there is still a big quesiton mark about how far he can take it but I think the Packers are going to go on without skipping a beat based on how much better Rodgers played than Brett in Dallas with the same offense against the same pressure (one took sacks, the other threw picks). Brett Favre played on some very good teams with some very good offensive players. His numbers are a reflection of his durabilty not his replacability. Don't mistake life long records with one season greatness, it's every different. Warren Moon is damn near the greatest ever if you want to go that route. Dan Marino is an unstoppable champion if you want to go that route. Vinny Testeverde, etc. . . YOu get the point. The Packers will be great in 08. Favre is overrated by Green Bay jock sniffers.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 12:24 PM
That was an awfull lot of wind to explain that in football the three pieces (offense, defnese and ST's) feed of each other in the form of time of possession and field position.

Provocative garbage. You have turned into an idiot poster that just wants to pick fights. Too bad. I onced enjoyed Nick Collins' posts. now, I just loathe it every time am forced to read your newest drivel.

Partial
06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
I think A-Rod is going to certainly have some growing pains. The interior line play will be a huge factor in his success level. If they play lights out and he has plenty of time I suspect we'll be a playoff team again. If not, well, thats not good.

The Shadow
06-30-2008, 12:40 PM

What part of 'the team' including Favre, were not properly prepared for that huge game by MM are you missing MJZiggy?

Our team looked frozen not just Favre. MM elected to run practises indoors?MM showed his inexperience. If Tom Coughlan had of gone Eli Manning to Plaxico Burress more. MM would have gotten entirely embarassed. Coughlan left MM off 'the hook'.

Why MM abandoned the running game is a huge question that he admitted he screwed up on.

Why MM called a sideline wide right passing pattern on Favre's pick in OT, and not a sideline run and shoot, really baffled me.That call set Favre up for too much chance of error under frigid conditions.

I thought that this thread was about Rodgers and not yet another forum for the Favre apologists.
Look : Thompson and MM placed the team in a Cinderella position to get the Packers in a Super Bowl and send Favre off in the grand style so many have demanded.
It didn't happen for a variety of reasons, a major one was Favre's own performance.
Blaming an interception on the call is really lame.
Let's move on. We have an ascending team and a bright young qb with a lot of upside.
Go Pack.

sharpe1027
06-30-2008, 01:02 PM

In my experience, these type of statements are 90% based on the result of the game and not actual foresight. We all like to believe that we are able to predict things. Subconciously or otherwise, however, we tend to remember the instances that support this and forget the others. If we are forced to truly offer up a prediction BEFORE the outcome of the game is known, we find the truth.

Put it this way, if we were all able to predict the outcome that easily, we'd all be rolling in money from last minute bets.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 01:10 PM
I thought that this thread was about Rodgers and not yet another forum for the Favre apologists.
Look : Thompson and MM placed the team in a Cinderella position to get the Packers in a Super Bowl and send Favre off in the grand style so many have demanded.
It didn't happen for a variety of reasons, a major one was Favre's own performance.
Let's move on. We have an ascending team and a bright young qb with a lot of upside.
Go Pack.Oh ancient one, long time no see. Thought you had left us and went on to the big forum in the sky.

Since you are still clinging on I would like to point out that the Cinderella run would have never happened without the Favre performance you mentioned.

Packer fans agree with you Favre-haters that he fucked up at the end. Just dont go acting like he was dropped into the NFC Championship for free. #4 got his team there. 14 others NFC QBs couldn't.

Bretsky
06-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Way to have that glass-half--wait a minute!! Who are you and what have you done with B? (and are you at least gonna share the white russians?)

It's a new me Zig; too may things going on to get bent out of shape about this stuff. Got friends flooded out of their homes...people losing their homes..and plenty of other challenges in life. That, plus, my expectations have been lowered for this season so I can't get upset at much and will be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

The Shadow
06-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Go Pack.Oh ancient one, long time no see. Thought you had left us and went on to the big forum in the sky.
Since you are still clinging on I would like to point out that the Cinderella run would have never happened without the Favre performance you mentioned.

Packer fans agree with you Favre-haters that he fucked up at the end. Just dont go acting like he was dropped into the NFC Championship for free. #4 got his team there. 14 others NFC QBs couldn't.

SOMEBODY has got to watch over you, maddie.
I'm here for ya.

MJZiggy
06-30-2008, 08:13 PM

It's a new me Zig; too may things going on to get bent out of shape about this stuff. Got friends flooded out of their homes...people losing their homes..and plenty of other challenges in life. That, plus, my expectations have been lowered for this season so I can't get upset at much and will be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles, B. (But what about the white russians?)

packinpatland
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM

"my expectations have been lowered for this season so I can't get upset at much and will be happy to be pleasantly surprised."

That sounds like a nice motto to have.........