PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog have problems with the sounds of fireworks?

oregonpackfan
06-29-2008, 10:14 AM
With the approaching Fourth of July season, we shudder about our family dog's reaction to fireworks. I am not just talking about the actual Fourth of July, I am also referring to the 5-6 days leading up to the 4th.

It seems kids are setting off firecrackers, cherry bombs, etc. earlier each year. Those types of firecrackers are illegal in Oregon but legal in Washington. Thousands of Portland area residents cross the Columbia River each year to purchase their fireworks.

The fireworks did not used to bother our Norwegian Elkhound but in her later years(she is now 12) we have literally had to sedate her with meds from the Vet. Do any of you have dogs who react the same way?

(I suspect Harlan must spend hours whining and chasing his tail! :) )

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Ha! While the fireworks will bother her, that's just the tip of her wretched emotional iceberg. Last thunderstorm, she tried to dig her way through the front door. She got about a half inch in before she was done.

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Yup. The dog is a Border Collie. About 5 years old.

First 3 years, it was water off a duck's back. No worries - thunder, lightning fire crackers, all just worth a yawn.

These days (everytime Germany wins is cracker night) she is under my feet looking for protection. Poor li'l baby.

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 10:25 AM
I could handle her under my feet...it's the trying to remove the doors and windows I have a bit of an issue with...

GBRulz
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
OPF - yes, my little dog is scared to death of fireworks and thunderstorms. The fireworks that you speak of are illegal here in WI, too but yet there are stands on every street corner that can legally sell them. It's the stupidest law...if they are illegal to possess then why aren't they illegal to sell?

Anyhow, what really bugs me is the fact that I have a couple idiot neighbors who feel the need to celebrate our nations birthday from June until August.

But back to the dog.... when I hear a firecracker going off, I have never coddled her with the "oh, it's ok" type of behavior. That is the worst thing you can do (at least that's Caesar Milan's advice). Nothing I do seems to comfort her...she just runs under my bed and stays there. Same thing with thunderstorms....

GoPackGo
06-29-2008, 11:12 AM
GBRulz is right.
Coddling or showing affection to your dog when its overexcited or scared reinforces that behavior. The best thing you can do in that situation is put your dog on a leash, be still and calm, don't look at your dog or say its name, and wait until your dog calms down before you let it off leash

twoseven
06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
My neighborhood started their weeklong plus celebrating last night, dogs didn't make too much noise. But, it will be pissing me off pretty good when I am hearing that crap at 10-11pm at night all week long.

Little Whiskey
07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
get yourself a hunting dog.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 11:06 PM
get yourself a hunting dog.

My pointer peed in my office because of the noise.

MJZiggy
07-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Mine deepened the gash in the front door to about an inch.

oregonpackfan
07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Mine broke in the screen of the back screen door and damaged the frame trying to get in the house.

red
07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
i have a hunting dog that actually likes the sound of gunfire

however, once the neighbors started shooting off the fireworks, he jumped up and ran around in a big circle around the room full spee, barking at the top of his lungs nonstop. he sounded like a fire truck for about 15 minutes

he still hasn't calmed down lol