PDA

View Full Version : Salsa recipe

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Last year someone from PR gave me a salsa recipe that sounded really good. I didn't have the fresh tomatoes last year to try it and I can't find the recipe now.

I will have tomatoes this year and want to make some fresh homemade salsa.:D The recipe I got last year sounded wonderful. Sorry I misplaced it.

Salsa recipes? ......

GoPackGo
06-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Last year someone from PR gave me a salsa recipe that sounded really good...

That was me and I'll send it to you again

packers11
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM

can't you just post it here... :)

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM

HA, I thought it was you. I didn't want to PM you and have it not be you and think I was a weirdo. :D Thank you! It sounded great.

GoPackGo
06-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Lets make this the salsa recipe thread.
I'll post it on here when i'm not at work

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I didn't want to PM you and have it not be you and think I was a weirdo.

OK, I think it is my duty to warn all male Rats. Seven IS a weirdo. Totally. She will give ou the best cyber sex you ever had, but, weirdo with a capital W.

Big kiss, Seven.

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 11:36 AM

OK, I think it is my duty to warn all male Rats. Seven IS a weirdo. Totally. She will give ou the best cyber sex you ever had, but, weirdo with a capital W.

Big kiss, Seven.

:shock:

What is this cyber sex you speak of?

:wink:

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Big kiss, Seven.

:shock:

What is this cyber sex you speak of?

:wink:

I made it up. Seven has given me no reason to believe she's into cyber sex.

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I knew you were kidding and so was I asking what it is.

20 PM's from you a day is a bit much though Tarlam. :P :wink:

.....ok, so back to Salsa recipes.....

Tarlam!
06-29-2008, 12:38 PM

As I said, despite 20 PMs a day, she doesn't do cyber sex. But, she clearly is very patient.

Now, back to Salsa recipés.

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 01:38 PM

As I said, despite 20 PMs a day, she doesn't do cyber sex. But, she clearly is very patient.

Now, back to Salsa recipés.

cutie :P

GoPackGo
06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
GoPackGo's Deli Style and Restaurant Style Recipe
Ingredients:
Tomatoes (4 for hot, 5 for medium)
Jalapeños (4)
Red Onion (1)
Limes (3) (Get the smoothest Limes you can find, they have more juice)
Salt ½ TBSP
Pepper ½ TBSP
Cilantro (1/3 bunch)

Prep:
Remove tomatoes stems
Dice tomatoes (deli style=put tomatoes in a bowl, restaurant style=put tomatoes in a blender)
Remove Jalapeños stems
Cut Jalapeños in half, make V cut to remove insides (seeds and Rhine)
Dice Jalapeños (deli style=add jalapeños to the bowl, restaurant style=add jalapeños to the blender)
Remove Red Onion Stem
Cut Red Onion in Half
Remove outer layer
Dice Red Onion (deli style=add Red Onion to the bowl, restaurant style=add Red Onion to the blender)
Juice 3 limes (deli style=add juice to the bowl, restaurant style=add juice to the blender)
Add ½ TBSP Salt (deli style=add salt to the bowl, restaurant style=add salt to the blender)
Add ½ TBSP Pepper (deli style=add pepper to the bowl, restaurant style=add pepper to the blender)
Remove Stems from Cilantro
Dice Cilantro Leaves (deli style=put them in a bowl, restaurant style put them to the side for later)

Deli Style
Thoroughly mix up the ingredients in the bowl
Taste salsa
Add salt and cilantro to taste

Restaurant style
Blend ingredients in the blender
Cook it on stovetop at medium/low heat until it gets to a deep red color
Take it off stovetop
Add cilantro and mix thoroughly by hand
Refrigerate salsa until it gets cold
Add salt and cilantro to taste

I like Tostitos Multigrain Tortillas chips the best

GrnBay007
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Awesome!! Thanks GoPack!

I like the Deli style best.

I've been told you can put the salsa in jars (or freezer bags) and freeze it. They say it just has a bit more liquid when you thaw to use it.

MJZiggy
06-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Awesome!! Thanks GoPack!

I like the Deli style best.

I've been told you can put the salsa in jars (or freezer bags) and freeze it. They say it just has a bit more liquid when you thaw to use it.

Try throwing it back in the blender to reduce that liquidity problem.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Oh my. That is being made next weekend in Wesseling.

Now, Guacamole?

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I've been told you can put the salsa in jars (or freezer bags) and freeze it. They say it just has a bit more liquid when you thaw to use it.Mama puts it in jars and then puts them in a big pot with water halfways. Boils them and makes them gets pressure sealed so they pop when you open them. Shit stays good for months.

Sorry 007, she is likely taking her recipe to the grave.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Screw Seven, what about the rest of us?? Has Mama no love?? For all the plebs that will never get invited over to Mama's for Salsa, you need to act! We need to know, what's in Mama's recipé and we need to know soon!!!

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Screw Seven, what about the rest of us?? Has Mama no love?? For all the plebs that will never get invited over to Mama's for Salsa, you need to act! We need to know, what's in Mama's recipé and we need to know soon!!!I know there are fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro and chiles involved. I know when she makes it she makes a few gallons. I know you cant buy anything like it at the store. She even makes it in hot or mild ( for wimps) strength.

I guess I really dont know shit. :lol:

GrnBay007
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I've been told you can put the salsa in jars (or freezer bags) and freeze it. They say it just has a bit more liquid when you thaw to use it.Mama puts it in jars and then puts them in a big pot with water halfways. Boils them and makes them gets pressure sealed so they pop when you open them. Shit stays good for months.

C'mon. Wouldn't she give the recipe to a sweet cracker from Iowa? :D

She cans her salsa then. I canned a lot of veggies back when I used to live in the country and have a huge garden.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Oh come on, Mad! Do you have a sister? Mama's usually share their secrets with their daughters!!

It would be a crime to let this recipe die. "You can't buy nothing like it at the store". Are you serious!?!

Cleft Crusty
06-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Go Pack Go:

Cleft Crusty approves of your recipe. I think I may have added too many jalapenos - aggravating my ulcer. I can't keep drinking two bottles of Pepto every day. Something has to give.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Oh come on, Mad! Do you have a sister? Mama's usually share their secrets with their daughters!!

It would be a crime to let this recipe die. "You can't buy nothing like it at the store". Are you serious!?!Mi hermana doesnt give a fuck about cooking the classics. Bitch is also going to let the homemade flour tortillas recipe go away with Mama.

Zool
06-30-2008, 01:24 PM

It would be a crime to let this recipe die. "You can't buy nothing like it at the store". Are you serious!?!Mi hermana doesnt give a fuck about cooking the classics. Bitch is also going to let the homemade flour tortillas recipe go away with Mama.

Have a daughter. Moms cant say no to grandkids, specifically girls.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Go Pack Go:

Cleft Crusty approves of your recipe. I think I may have added too many jalapenos - aggravating my ulcer. I can't keep drinking two bottles of Pepto every day. Something has to give.He should try it with a more potent chile. Jalapenos are the Pace picante type shit.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Go Pack Go:

Cleft Crusty approves of your recipe. I think I may have added too many jalapenos - aggravating my ulcer. I can't keep drinking two bottles of Pepto every day. Something has to give.

Same here. More jalapenos (the hotter the better) and cake it with cilantro (aka the best "spice" discovered by man). My cousin is married to a second generation Mexican gal. Her Mom makes the best salsa I've ever tasted. It actually comes out looking almost like a salad. I hate picante style salsa--at least the Americanized version.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Bitch is also going to let the homemade flour tortillas recipe go away with Mama.

Has the world gone crazy? Does she have a husband? Is he not in control?? What the hell is going on in Cali??

Look, I am looking for a fruit picking gig without green card. I could come over and pretend to be deaf, dumb and even more stupid than I am. I could just "hang" in the kitchen while Mama does her stuff. I am a trained Chef. I will get it to about 90% just by watching....

GoPackGo
06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
salt and cilantro are the key for taste. add jalepenos for more heat
You add them until it tastes how you want your salsa to taste. If its to hot, add more tomatoe

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I had to google cilantro and I came back with coriander. If you are talking coriander, Harv, then, we might just be twins secretly separated at birth. :oops:

digitaldean
06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Go Pack Go:

Cleft Crusty approves of your recipe. I think I may have added too many jalapenos - aggravating my ulcer. I can't keep drinking two bottles of Pepto every day. Something has to give.He should try it with a more potent chile. Jalapenos are the Pace picante type shit.

If you're going to make it hot, go for broke. Try slicing up a habanero for that recipe. That'll warm things up.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Bitch is also going to let the homemade flour tortillas recipe go away with Mama.

Has the world gone crazy? Does she have a husband? Is he not in control?? What the hell is going on in Cali??

Look, I am looking for a fruit picking gig without green card. I could come over and pretend to be deaf, dumb and even more stupid than I am. I could just "hang" in the kitchen while Mama does her stuff. I am a trained Chef. I will get it to about 90% just by watching....Yeah she is married but you would think my brother in law is white the way he gets bossed around.

Cmon down man. Gabachos that pay the salsa compliments always get hooked up with a jar.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Go Pack Go:

If you're going to make it hot, go for broke. Try slicing up a habanero for that recipe. That'll warm things up.

That's fine by me. Whatever hot stuff you put on there, you better put a lot of it on there.

Mad, what's the hottest sauce you've ever tried? I think I remember this stuff being pretty damn hot:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/davgourinsau.html

I remember some Scandinavian friend of mine caked this stuff on pizza once (trying to be macho) and he ended up not making it to work the next day.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Cmon down man. Gabachos that pay the salsa compliments always get hooked up with a jar.

You talk a mean game, but we all know that you ain't getting away with shit. Mexican women are, shall we say, a tad fiery. The only way you get away with anything is if you married an average looking broad that's just happy to have a man.
:D

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Go Pack Go:

If you're going to make it hot, go for broke. Try slicing up a habanero for that recipe. That'll warm things up.I think habanero doesnt work in salsa. Thinking it is too much burn and not enough taste or somethign like that but i have never tried it in salsa. I usually eat this habanero sauce from Mexico. Shits great on everything.

http://hotnbottled.com/images/1117.jpg (http://hotnbottled.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17&zenid=10d1fa6ce650ec3293a2fff3f74936a7)

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 01:45 PM
I meant to quote this from mad.
:D

Yeah she is married but you would think my brother in law is white the way he gets bossed around.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Mad, what's the hottest sauce you've ever tried? I think I remember this stuff being pretty damn hot:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/davgourinsau.html

I remember some Scandinavian friend of mine caked this stuff on pizza once (trying to be macho) and he ended up not making it to work the next day.I really dont find any salsa or sauce hot. It doesnt bother my stomach either. Guess Im preprogrammed.

The hottest chile I ever tried was fresh off a small round bush shaped plant. It was some asian shit and was a round, cherry sized green chile with hundreds of little seeds inside. Friend asked me to try it, shit almost put a hole in my tongue. I dont knwo what they are called but I want more.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 01:52 PM

You talk a mean game, but we all know that you ain't getting away with shit. Mexican women are, shall we say, a tad fiery. The only way you get away with anything is if you married an average looking broad that's just happy to have a man.
:DI run this show like Stephen Spielberg running a movie set. Nothing gets approved without my clearance!

My big chile is way to spicy for it to be any other way. :D

SkinBasket
06-30-2008, 01:57 PM
The hottest chile I ever tried was fresh off a small round bush shaped plant. It was some asian shit

I've noticed that while people from the mexicoes have a higher tolerance for mexican spice, they have issues with asian spice.

As far as cilantro goes, it's disgusting and ruins whatever it touches.

Ya'll need to get authentic.
http://www.brandextension.org/images/tacobell.jpg

Zool
06-30-2008, 01:59 PM

We are in 100% agreement. I assume when you go to hell, they force feed you cilantro.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
We're losing sight of the endgame, here, gents. Please remain focussed. We need mama Mad's recipé book before she takes off to the big salsa kitchen in the sky.

Mad, how old is Mama?

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
The hottest chile I ever tried was fresh off a small round bush shaped plant. It was some asian shit

I've noticed that while people from the mexicoes have a higher tolerance for mexican spice, they have issues with asian spice.

Really? You might be on to something.

Can we start calling you Cilantrobasket?

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM

We are in 100% agreement. I assume when you go to hell, they force feed you cilantro.

If we are speaking about coriander, Skin and Zool need to be burned at the stake for blasphemy.

Zool
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
We're losing sight of the endgame, here, gents. Please remain focussed. We need mama Mad's recipé book before she takes off to the big salsa kitchen in the sky.

Mad, how old is Mama?

Dude, Tarlam's trying to get your moms digits.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Mad, how old is Mama?

Dude, Tarlam's trying to get your moms digits.Shit, he could be the white dad I should have had. :cry:

GoPackGo
06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
]Yeah she is married but you would think my brother in law is white the way he gets bossed around.

Mexican women threaten Mexican men with getting pregnant, taking away all the bud light in the fridge, and wrecking your Chevy Truck. I'll take the bossy white women any day.

SkinBasket
06-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Really? You might be on to something.

Can we start calling you Cilantrobasket?

You seem wittier lately. Have you laid off the dragon?

Harlan Huckleby
06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
There was cilantro craze about 10-15 years ago. Seemed like every little mexican restaraunt was piling it on, especially the more expensive ones. Guess it was their way of saying this is the real stuff. But now mexican restaraunts are all owned by mexicans, and they don't put no stinkin cilantro in there.

I like most spices, but cilantro is kinda skunky. I think was a SW-U.S. thing.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 02:37 PM

If we are speaking about coriander, Skin and Zool need to be burned at the stake for blasphemy.

It is and they do.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 02:38 PM
I like most spices, but cilantro is kinda skunky..

Tarlam, we'll have to burn him too.

GrnBay007
06-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Weird thing. People seem to either love or hate cilantro. I love it in salsa.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Thai salads are drenched in cilantro in Sydney. there was this little Thai place around the corner in Kings Cross, they did this incredible warm roast beef salad. It was riddled with cilantro. I wanted t just lay down in it!

Only last weekend, I asked my bride to buy cilantro seeds and start gowing. She's into gardening. I am into cooking.

Cannot wait till those little bastards start looking like a garnish!

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 02:59 PM
There was cilantro craze about 10-15 years ago.

I wouldn't know about a cilantro craze. I'm not much into crazes. All I know is that, to me, cilantro tastes damn good. Please don't try to make cilantro into a fad like bell bottoms. It deserves better.

SkinBasket
06-30-2008, 03:57 PM

It's that dull aftertaste that kills me. As Harlan put it with uncharacteristic accuracy, it tastes skunky. When blended in with other herbs it's not terribly offensive, but used fresh and in abundance, it overwhelms the other tastes and makes you feel like something died in the back of your throat - last week. The Mexicans and Chinese seem to love the shit though.

I'm still pissed that I had a perfectly nice lamb dish utterly overwhelmed and skunked up by about two pounds of the stuff at one of my favorite chinese places recently. The taste of the cilantro didn't work with any other flavor in the dish and all it accomplished was washing away the pleasant taste and aroma of the meat with the undeniable essence of week old unwashed ass that the herb brings to the palette.

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 03:58 PM
May you burn in hell!

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Skin, you will rot in hell for those remarks. But, fear not, for you will not suffer alone. Zool and Harlan will be right there with you.

SkinBasket
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
May you burn in hell!

Probably. I attribute it to fucking the Ouija Board view finder when I was a kid.

GoPackGo
06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Cilantro either, but if you're salsa is going to be worth a damn you have to include it. Notice I only include 1/3 of a bunch of Cilantro in my recipe. Thats not much

Add more if you want to, but be careful. the Cilantro can definately overpower other ingrediants and ruin your salsa

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Cilantro either, but if you're salsa is going to be worth a damn you have to include it. Notice I only include 1/3 of a bunch of Cilantro in my recipe. Thats not much

Add more if you want to, but be careful. the Cilantro can definately overpower other ingrediants and ruin your salsa

Am I using whole tomatoes, or am i skinning and seeding them?

GoPackGo
06-30-2008, 04:17 PM
whole tomatoes, just cut the stems off

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I bet if you skin and seed them, add 2 pieces, your recipé would kick even more ass.

Just my opinion.

GoPackGo
06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I bet if you skin and seed them, add 2 pieces, your recipé would kick even more ass.

Just my opinion.

try it out and let me know

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Just my opinion.

I will. Thanks for your recipe, though!

SkinBasket
06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm willing to sell my login at enpornium.us for US Dollars.

In the name of men growing some hair on their balls again.

GrnBay007
06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm still pissed that I had a perfectly nice lamb dish utterly overwhelmed and skunked up by about two pounds of the stuff at one of my favorite chinese places recently. The taste of the cilantro didn't work with any other flavor in the dish and all it accomplished was washing away the pleasant taste and aroma of the meat with the undeniable essence of week old unwashed ass that the herb brings to the palette.

Good thing you are not one of the selection committee for the new chef at food network. You would make them cry. :lol:

Tarlam!
07-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Just my opinion.

I will. Thanks for your recipe, though!

OK. It works. Skinning and seeding the tomatoes is good. Tomato seeds = bitterness. Especially when storing. Tomato skin is, well, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

I found the recipè to be excellent, but lacking. Gag me with a spoon, but I added 3 cloves of chopped garlic. Heck, I am an Aussie Kraut. I have no idea about making authentic Salsa.

And, yes, I hit my bowl with 5 shakes of Tobasco. SUE ME!!!

GoPackGo
07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I found the recipè to be excellent, but lacking. Gag me with a spoon, but I added 3 cloves of chopped garlic. Heck, I am an Aussie Kraut. I have no idea about making authentic Salsa.

Lacking what? Tobasco? That sounds hideous. If you needed it to be hotter add more pepper and Jalepeno.

Deputy Nutz
07-01-2008, 12:05 PM

It's that dull aftertaste that kills me. As Harlan put it with uncharacteristic accuracy, it tastes skunky. When blended in with other herbs it's not terribly offensive, but used fresh and in abundance, it overwhelms the other tastes and makes you feel like something died in the back of your throat - last week. The Mexicans and Chinese seem to love the shit though.

You can't make good guacamole without it. That is just a simple fact of life.

MadtownPacker
07-01-2008, 12:34 PM

You can't make good guacamole without it. That is just a simple fact of life.Ahh damnn, sounds like a divorce is unavoidable.

Tarlam!
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Lacking what? Tobasco? That sounds hideous. If you needed it to be hotter add more pepper and Jalepeno.

No, it need garlic. Shit, everything on earth lacks garlic, except garlic.

I added Tobasco cause I am a dork.

BallHawk
07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Tar, is right.

There are two condiments on Earth that can go with everything: Garlic and McDonald's Sweet and Sour sauce.

Ketchup is arguably the 3rd addition on the list.

GrnBay007
08-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Everyone and their brother must be making salsa right now. 4 grocery stores today and I can't find fresh cilantro!!!! :x

I don't want to use the dried stuff...just not the same.