PDA

View Full Version : Dave Rayner

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Expect a claim. Unfortunately, New Orleans will probably claim him first.

From NFL.com:

FOR KICKS

When the Colts signed free-agent kicker Adam Vinatieri, it gave Indianapolis the freedom to give the boot to its other two kickers, Jose Cortez and Dave Rayner. Finally, Indianapolis did.

The team terminated Cortez's contract, and it waived Rayner, the former 2005 seventh-round draft choice from Michigan State who asked for his release the day the Colts signed Vinatieri. Cortez is free to sign with another team; the waivers-claiming deadline for Rayner is 4 p.m. ET on April 6.

With the various teams that still need kickers -- Atlanta, New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, Miami -- it is expected that Rayner will be claimed on waivers. The minimum salary for a second-year player like Rayner is $385,000, which means it would be economically feasible and highly attractive for another team to claim him. Rayner had 82 kickoffs last season, so he has experience in that area.

billy_oliver880
04-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Expect a claim. Unfortunately, New Orleans will probably claim him first.

From NFL.com:

FOR KICKS

When the Colts signed free-agent kicker Adam Vinatieri, it gave Indianapolis the freedom to give the boot to its other two kickers, Jose Cortez and Dave Rayner. Finally, Indianapolis did.

The team terminated Cortez's contract, and it waived Rayner, the former 2005 seventh-round draft choice from Michigan State who asked for his release the day the Colts signed Vinatieri. Cortez is free to sign with another team; the waivers-claiming deadline for Rayner is 4 p.m. ET on April 6.

With the various teams that still need kickers -- Atlanta, New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, Miami -- it is expected that Rayner will be claimed on waivers. The minimum salary for a second-year player like Rayner is $385,000, which means it would be economically feasible and highly attractive for another team to claim him. Rayner had 82 kickoffs last season, so he has experience in that area.

Is he any better then the dude we got? I can't even think of the guys name. :mad:

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Billy Cundiff (I had to go look it up).

Homer Jay
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Billy Cundiff. Doesn't it seem like he should be Dirk Diglers stunt double?

KYPack
04-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Cortez is an interesting player. he's a kick-off specialsit. Puts 'em way back & is rarely returned. We aren't in the same roster shape we've been in recently, but ever since Hentrich left, I've wished we had one of these type guys.

Tony Oday
04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
we have that guy that can boom from the CFL dont we?

billy_oliver880
04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
we have that guy that can boom from the CFL dont we?

Yes...maybe we can get him to play guard too. :wink:

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Cortez is an interesting player. he's a kick-off specialsit. Puts 'em way back & is rarely returned. We aren't in the same roster shape we've been in recently, but ever since Hentrich left, I've wished we had one of these type guys.Well, we have the cap room...