PDA

View Full Version : Pack Concerned about Blackmon

vince
06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Apparently, Blackmon's foot isn't healing very well. He could go on the PUP list, or at minimum, be limited in practice throughout camp.

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packer_update/

I think there's still room for him on the 53 because of his return potential (if healthy) - but after this year, if he can't stay healthy, his spot on both the return teams and at CB becomes a big targeted need area.

The article says that he's being seen exclusively as a returner these days as well, as his footwork and play has not been up to par at CB.

Disappointing if all this is true, although Packer Update is about on par with Arrigo as far as the reliability of their rumors is concerned.

KYPack
06-30-2008, 02:38 PM
If this is true, it's a bummer.

Blackmon has flashed such brilliant potential. But the guy is feakish about getting banged up.

This would almost have to be the last straw if true.

Packnut
06-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Guy has all the talent in the world, but just can't stay healthy. I don't know how much more time the Pack can give him.

Ballboy
06-30-2008, 02:45 PM
With the limited roster size this year in training camp he may not get much more time.

bobblehead
06-30-2008, 02:52 PM
If he misses time in TC, or even if he can't compete well my guess is they will cut him loose and move on.

packers11
06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
IR for one more year??? he has to much potential to just cut him... I think they will put him on the PUP and hopefully he will be healthy then...

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
The article says that he's being seen exclusively as a returner these days as well, as his footwork and play has not been up to par at CB.

This quote isn't exactly accurate.

With the emergence of Tramon Williams and the drafting of Pat Lee in the second round, Blackmon is now viewed as more of a returner than a corner by the coaches. “He’s a remarkable athlete, but he hasn’t been very impressive on defense - even when healthy,” said a former scout. “He has a tendency to take false steps and he doesn’t play as fast as he times. His best attributes are his vision and his quickness. That’s what makes him so dangerous on returns.”

KYPack
06-30-2008, 03:13 PM
IR for one more year??? he has to much potential to just cut him... I think they will put him on the PUP and hopefully he will be healthy then...

PUP would put him on the shelf 'til October.

Can we afford that luxury?

That's a lot of time for a kid who might be done.

That play he made against OAK was electric. That kind of potential is rare, so they might just do it.

Tarlam!
06-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Time to cut him. It's tough, but when I think of the players on the bubble that are healthy, well, sorry. Cut him.

mission
06-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Yup, Tarlem...

One word for ya Blackmon:

Next.

I don't get this romanticizing of a player who's never really even seen the field. It's too bad, but hey... the guy made a few hundred thousands dollars a year to try and heal his foot.

Keep it movin.

vince
06-30-2008, 03:41 PM

This quote isn't exactly accurate.

With the emergence of Tramon Williams and the drafting of Pat Lee in the second round, Blackmon is now viewed as more of a returner than a corner by the coaches. “He’s a remarkable athlete, but he hasn’t been very impressive on defense - even when healthy,” said a former scout. “He has a tendency to take false steps and he doesn’t play as fast as he times. His best attributes are his vision and his quickness. That’s what makes him so dangerous on returns.”
Right. Good catch. I didn't want to post the whole article, as the guys at PU explicitly state they don't want that to be done at the end of every blog entry. Falty reporting of the report on my part...

I think he's on his last leg (figurative and literally apparently) but if he's healthy enough to suit up, KY hits it on the head. He can be electric in space. I don't see a sixth CB on the roster of his caliber, nor do I see a legitimate home-run threat on punt returns behind him at this point.

Hopefully he can overcome this, but it doesn't seem to be looking good. I'm no doctor, but if the foot hasn't healed after this long, I wouldn't think it would be likely to heal up in the next few weeks going into TC.

Patler
06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I could see them hanging on to Blackmon on IR. for another year, IF they have some reasonable belief that he actually will heal. Maybe it is something that never will heal completely.

Mike Flanagan had the horrendous broken leg with nerve damage as a rookie. He was on IR for two successive years, with several follow-up surgeries. He only played in two games his third season. Played some, but never started his fourth season, and wasn't even completely up to speed then, according to some stories. The Packers held on to him for a long time before getting any contribution from him.

Blackmon didn't miss a single game in college. Can't help but wonder if he should have taken more time off with the first foot injury as a rookie. I feel sorry for the kid. It has to be frustrating to be so close, to show glimpses of what you can do, and not be able to stay on the field.

RashanGary
06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I thought the writer hit it right on the head though, he was impressive as all hell as a returner and very unimpressive on defense. I thought Tramon Williams really outplayed Blackmon as a CB.

the_idle_threat
06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
The guy's bones are made of chalk. I agree with mission: Next!

falco
06-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I thought the writer hit it right on the head though, he was impressive as all hell as a returner and very unimpressive on defense. I thought Tramon Williams really outplayed Blackmon as a CB.

for once i agree with you

MJZiggy
06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
It's about time the Packers caught up with the rest of us and became concerned...

Pacopete4
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
TT loves to give guys with talent chances.. see Humphrey

falco
06-30-2008, 09:38 PM
if blackmon was more t-will and less michael hawkins, we would be good to go

mission
07-01-2008, 01:07 AM

man i hope he's half as good as you are annoying about him :lol:

falco
07-01-2008, 06:09 AM

man i hope he's half as good as you are annoying about him :lol:

in 2004 i was on the cletidus hunt bandwagon...

in 2006 i was on the kenny peterson bandwagon...

i'd say there's no promises with my track record

AV David
07-01-2008, 01:52 PM
If it were anything but a foot fracture I would have hope. If a fot fracture hasn't healed in 2 years, its not going to heal well enough tom play pro football. I'd be sorry to see him go, but this is his last chance.

Harlan Huckleby
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
it doesn't cost much to put him on IR for a year. Even if it is just 50-50 that he returns to football, that's not bad odds for the equivalent of a quality draft pick. He kept reinjuring it, ya, but it was very questionable for TT to put him back on the roster last November.

mission
07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
is blackmon 27? i cant even remember... anyway, i saw he was a top friend of one of my artists on myspace so i hit him up sayin it sucks to hear about the foot thing again ...

here's what he said:

yea thats whats up.... yea it did suck.. but im passed all that stuff man, and i grew from it... so keep watching #27 and it will be a show my friend....

keep making hot beats and true to your friends

much love (no homo) and God Bless

-Beamin

now i feel bad about my post .... lol... oh well.. hope somethin works out i guess
[/i]

texaspackerbacker
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I really don't think it's time to cut Blackmon. Odds are good he will eventually be a quality player. It would be a damn shame if that ended up being for some other team. What do they lose by keeping him around? At most, maybe a roster spot in camp for somebody with a lot less talent who almost certainly will be gone by the regular season anyway.

The PUP list or IR is probably the solution--assuming the negative rumors are even true, as that way, even the roster spot argument doesn't apply.

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 08:29 PM
is blackmon 27? i cant even remember...

Will's only 23. Doesn't turn 24 until the end of October.

oregonpackfan
07-01-2008, 08:35 PM

That is still young for the NFL. I think the Packers will wait longer before considering getting rid of him.

woodbuck27
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Darn it. This young talents days in Green Bay are number'd I fear.

I really hoped he would get his health back as he's an explosive talent.

Bossman641
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM

I think he was asking if he was number 27.

the_idle_threat
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM

I think he was asking if he was number 27.

That's how I read it too.

mission
07-02-2008, 04:11 AM
lol 4 posts on my question

ya i was boss thx...

its not like i planned on hitting him up.. jus happened to be on one of my artists page (shauna danielle) and he was a "top friend" of hers.. saw the green and gold though... ahh, nice ... free tickets?

:lol: :lol:

(i still feel kinda bad about my post cuz now we're chattin about his side music business... his comments about personal finance are very interesting (not what we tend to think) but ill obviously leave them be) ...

small world..