PDA

View Full Version : Duante turned GB down, MM raving about Brohm

motife
06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
PFW NFC North Whispers
June 29, 2008

The Lions aren’t yet concerned about WLB Ernie Sims’ return from arthroscopic shoulder surgery, but they will monitor him closely in the first few days of training camp. Sims did not participate in much of the recent minicamp practices, but the team isn’t worried — yet.

As of now, Vikings DE Brian Robison is Jared Allen’s backup on the right side. Robison was considered to be a potential starter on the left side, competing with Ray Edwards. Although Edwards remains shelved with a back injury, it was Jayme Mitchell — not Robison — who got first-team reps at the final minicamp sessions, but that could change if Edwards misses time in camp.

It’s starting to look like the versatile John St. Clair could grab the Bears’ starting OLG job away from Terrence Metcalf. As for Josh Beekman, who was expected to compete for the role, OTA observers said the Bears’ fourth-round pick in 2007 saw no action at guard and spent every session backing up Olin Kreutz at center.

Not that he’s thinking at all about changing the Packers’ plans at quarterback, but we hear head coach Mike McCarthy can’t say enough about how quickly second-round rookie QB Brian Brohm has picked up the offense. We hear McCarthy also continues to like the progress being made by the team’s other rookie signalcaller, seventh-rounder Matt Flynn.

Free-agent QB Daunte Culpepper recently confirmed that he did indeed turn down an offer from the Packers, but declined to say why.

TE David Martin may have started for the Dolphins in 2007, but word out of South Florida is that he’ll have to fight to merely keep a roster spot in training camp. Newcomers Anthony Fasano and Sean Ryan and holdover Justin Peelle could end up being the team’s TE corps,

Word out of New Orleans is Saints CB Mike McKenzie is on track to begin practicing when training camp begins on July 24. McKenzie sat out all of the team’s OTAs while recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL he suffered late last season.

New Jaguars WR Troy Williamson, whose inconsistent hands made him a bust in Minnesota, has impressed the coaching staff in Jacksonville. However, we hear there’s a lingering suspicion that he’s a “practice field hero,” and that the team is waiting until actual game action to feel comfortable with its new deep threat

gbgary
06-30-2008, 09:41 PM
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/stirthepot.gif

Jimx29
06-30-2008, 09:51 PM
http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12925

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2008, 10:32 PM
These guys are behind the times. We heard reports about Brohm picking up the offense quickly a few weeks ago, but since then the reports have mostly talked about how up-and-down he and Flynn have been.

KYPack
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Brohm's got a lot of skills. i I think we stole one by getting him with a 2. Flynn is not ready for primetime or anytime. We would do better with a vet, Brohm at 3 learning the ropes and Flynn on PS.

Carson Palmer didn't take one snap his rookie year, started in his second.

You can screw a kid up by giving him too much in his first season.

oregonpackfan
06-30-2008, 11:30 PM
You can screw a kid up by giving him too much in his first season.[/quote]

Amen to that thought! Look what happened to rookies who were expected to start for their teams like David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington...

Pacopete4
07-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Brohm's got a lot of skills. i I think we stole one by getting him with a 2. Flynn is not ready for primetime or anytime. We would do better with a vet, Brohm at 3 learning the ropes and Flynn on PS.

Peyton Manning played his entire first season and he sucked ass too.. didnt harm him one bit.

The other thing I wanna mention is Flynn is a smart guy and McCarthy has already mentioned that.. to say a guy that won a national championship in college doesnt have enough talent is a joke.. let McCarthy coach the guy up and we'l see how he does..

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 01:43 AM
to say a guy that won a national championship in college doesnt have enough talent is a joke.

Tell that to Chris Weinke, Josh Heupel, Matt Mauck, Ken Dorsey, Tee Martin, Craig Krenzel, Chris Leak, and a host of other championship winning QBs that didn't do squat in the NFL. BTW, those guys are just some of the championship winning QBs from the last 10 years.

Tarlam!
07-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Nice edit, Harv. After your first version of that post, I was Googling like crazy. :P

twoseven
07-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Peyton Manning played his entire first season and he sucked ass too.. didnt harm him one bit.
Was it Manning or that horrid team he was on? Manning might have been the most talented and most ready QB out of college since the Elway/Marino/Kelly draft of 83'. Manning arguably was even more polished than those three when he was drafted. Manning's the exception to the young QB rule, very few (if any?) drafted should be compared to him and his situation. Lebron James' ability to dominate so early in the NBA reminds me of how quickly Manning rose to the top in the NFL. Very special players that don't come along very often.

falco
07-01-2008, 06:11 AM

i agree with this - unless you really think flynn is going to be special and you think other teams know it, you have to do it this way.

KYPack
07-01-2008, 07:17 AM

The other thing I wanna mention is Flynn is a smart guy and McCarthy has already mentioned that.. to say a guy that won a national championship in college doesnt have enough talent is a joke.. let McCarthy coach the guy up and we'l see how he does..

Manning was a special guy and played well in his rookie year with a dubious surrounding cast.

M3 is one of the best QB development guys I've ever seen. He will help Flynn if anybody can. Flynn? He's just a prospect. Good kid, decent arm, has some NFL skills. He also has several deficiencies and needs a ton of work before he can ever help an NFL team or be an NFL QB. He has lousy pocket awareness. The kid gets rattled and can get lost when pressured. He needs at least a year of some of MM's help and quite possibly might never make it.

Flynn is very impressive in one facet of his game. He is a great roll=out QB. He goes to his left and tosses bullets like Flutie used to. I also don't think he will be an effective NFL QB in his first year. Any smart DC will blitz his ass right off the field.

Zool
07-01-2008, 07:54 AM
to say a guy that won a national championship in college doesnt have enough talent is a joke.

Tell that to Chris Weinke, Josh Heupel, Matt Mauck, Ken Dorsey, Tee Martin, Craig Krenzel, Chris Leak, and a host of other championship winning QBs that didn't do squat in the NFL. BTW, those guys are just some of the championship winning QBs from the last 10 years.

Thats pretty much like saying all Heismann winners are great QB's. You should check the list sometime.

The Leaper
07-01-2008, 08:27 AM

I agree with this 100%...and I expect this to happen by the end of camp. The fact that Thompson offered $1M to Culpepper basically is proof that Thompson believes the same thing.

Flynn will be best served on the practice squad in 2008...and Green Bay will be best served having a reliable veteran behind Rodgers in case he gets hurt for a couple games.

DonHutson
07-01-2008, 10:31 AM
That's very good for Brohm, but knowing the plays and executing them at NFL game speed are two very different things. He hasn't even tried it with pads on yet.

sheepshead
07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
You can never have enough good QB's just like you can never have enough good pitchers. Jerry Tagge comes to mind, but I'm not sure if he won a National Championship.

Patler
07-01-2008, 11:21 AM

I agree with this 100%...and I expect this to happen by the end of camp. The fact that Thompson offered $1M to Culpepper basically is proof that Thompson believes the same thing.

I was thinking just the opposite. The $1M offer to Culpepper wasn't very much to entice him to come to Green Bay. As a 10 year vet, his minimum salary is close to $750,000. If they really felt they needed him they would have offered more.

I think TT is content to go with the rookies if he doen't find a guy he really wants as a backup. I don't think he feels it is necessary to have a veteran, but will look closely at those who become available later on.

Of course, Brohm's performance in TC might make it more of an urgent matter for TT! :lol:

motife
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
You can never have enough good QB's just like you can never have enough good pitchers. Jerry Tagge comes to mind, but I'm not sure if he won a National Championship.

Jerry Tagge was a #1 pick, 11th overall in the NFL by the Green Bay Packers, where in 3 years he had 3 TD's and 17 interceptions.

He won TWO national championships, 1970 and 1971, the MVP in 1971.

Admittedly, he was no Rich Campbell, Scott Hunter or Jim Del Gaizo. Or T.J. Rubley.

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I was thinking just the opposite. The $1M offer to Culpepper wasn't very much to entice him to come to Green Bay. As a 10 year vet, his minimum salary is close to $750,000. If they really felt they needed him they would have offered more.

So what are you saying? Thompson was insulting Culpepper with the offer? The last time I checked, Culpepper is unemployed. He isn't making a dime, so $1M is a nice increase...and likely will be more than Culpepper will ultimately end up with this season IMO. If he does end up signing somewhere else, he'll probably get a greater chance to play...but may end up only earning the vet minimum.

Thompson doesn't overpay...PERIOD. It doesn't matter whether or not he sees a need...he won't overpay. The fact a contract was offered...and a fair one at that...shows that Thompson sees a need for a veteran QB behind Rodgers. There just isn't much out there right now for Thompson to pick through. That will change.

I'm solidly of the opinion that Thompson sees a need for a veteran #2 right now...and that Brohm would have to play lights out in camp for him to change his mind. I don't think Thompson feels that Brohm is a capable #2 at this point...few rookie QBs are.

Patler
07-02-2008, 10:03 AM

So what are you saying? Thompson was insulting Culpepper with the offer? The last time I checked, Culpepper is unemployed. He isn't making a dime, so $1M is a nice increase...and likely will be more than Culpepper will ultimately end up with this season IMO. If he does end up signing somewhere else, he'll probably get a greater chance to play...but may end up only earning the vet minimum.

Thompson doesn't overpay...PERIOD. It doesn't matter whether or not he sees a need...he won't overpay. The fact a contract was offered...and a fair one at that...shows that Thompson sees a need for a veteran QB behind Rodgers. There just isn't much out there right now for Thompson to pick through. That will change.

I'm solidly of the opinion that Thompson sees a need for a veteran #2 right now...and that Brohm would have to play lights out in camp for him to change his mind. I don't think Thompson feels that Brohm is a capable #2 at this point...few rookie QBs are.

No, I'm not suggesting it was an insult to Culpepper. On the other hand, in March or April it is extremely unlikely that a veteran QB who has started most of his career and thinks he should start again would be willing to sign a contract as low as that. He can get that type of contract later, if he must.

In short, there was really no chance of Culpepper signing that contract in April, Maybe in August or September he will, but not then.

You are correct that TT will not over pay. That's the point. If a veteran QB is worth only a million dollars to TT, its not a very high priority to him. If he really wanted a veteran QB, if he thought it was a real need, he would be willing to pay more. After all, the "average" pay at the present cap is almost $2 million per player, and the Packers have lots of available cap space. If he really thought he needed a veteran for this season, he would have been willing to offer a one year contract at a higher salary. He would attach a higher salary to that need.

In my opinion, the offer shows it was not a high priority for TT. You see it differently. No big deal.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 10:44 AM

I thought Thompson made the offer to Culpepper before they drafted Brohm and Flynn.

Patler
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM

I thought Thompson made the offer to Culpepper before they drafted Brohm and Flynn.

I think he did. In the draft he moved to "QB Backup - Plan B". I think he is content with that for now, pending Brohm's performance in pads, Rodgers health after playing preseason, and the release of veteran QBs from other camps.

mraynrand
07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

Thats pretty much like saying all Heismann winners are great QB's. You should check the list sometime.

Hey, How about our three time loser Eric Crouch? Erstwhile QB, WR, Punt returner. This guy retires more than Brett Favre, and he never really played to begin with. He's had more comebacks than Crusty the Clown - or Tarlam:

"(Philadelphia, Pa) — A surprise from the 2008 NFL Draft Pro Day circuit was not the fact that Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly wanted to improve upon his reported 4.6 time in the forty at his second Pro Day workout, but it was the appearance of a ‘mystery” thrower at the event. Everyone last week in Norman, Oklahoma was saying, “Is that Eric Crouch throwing the ball?” To answer their question, “Yes” that Eric Crouch the former University of Nebraska option quarterback and 2002 Heisman Trophy winner was back looking for one more shot at the NFL.

Crouch, who was once dubbed by a local Philadelphia sports radio host as ‘the fastest white guy ever’, is trying to prove at the age of twenty-nine that he still has life in his arms and legs. The former option wizard is the latest of a long line of former college star quarterbacks looking for one more chance in the NFL while serving as a mini camp additional arm. Last year it was the Jacksonville Jaguars bringing in former 1999 first player select Tim Couch and not too long ago the Raiders gave chances to graybeard first round washouts Jeff George and Andre Ware.

To say the least Crouch’s career going from former poster boy quarterback to Pro Day thrower has been quite circuitous, making you wonder what his career would have been like if he had just stuck with being a wide receiver (3rd Round selection by St. Louis Rams in 2003) instead of quitting the team and he said football all together due to a hamstring injury in the first week of training camp. After his brief retirement, the “football itch” led Crouch back only to be spurned by the Rams and then sending him on a journey that led to him showing up at Nebraska rival school Oklahoma for Kelly’s workout — tried out unsuccessfully for the Packers as a quarterback, played safety for the Hamburg Sea Devils of the defunct NFL Europe then his assigning team the Kansas Chiefs cut him in training camp, served as a backup quarterback in the Canadian Football League, and signing on with the All-American Football League only to see the AAFL postponed before its inaugural season."

Tarlam!
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
He's had more comebacks than Crusty the Clown - or Tarlam:

OK, not sure why I copped one, Ray.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/stirthepot.gif

Ohh yea. :)

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
In short, there was really no chance of Culpepper signing that contract in April, Maybe in August or September he will, but not then.

I'll agree with that. I think Thompson's offer was more about letting Culpepper know there was interest...and that Green Bay probably would consider extending a similar offer later if Culpepper couldn't find anything else he liked. Like me, I'm sure Thompson is thinking there isn't much of a chance for Culpepper to earn more than $1M this year...so he figured there might be a small chance Puff N Stuff would take the deal.

In my opinion, the offer shows it was not a high priority for TT. You see it differently. No big deal.

I'm not saying it is a high priority...but I am saying that I think it is very unlikely that we will go into the first week of the season with 2 rookies on the roster behind Rodgers. At this point, there isn't anyone out there other than Culpepper who would be worth signing...which is why Thompson won't acquire a veteran #2 until some better options get cut loose.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Chris Sims should be available soon.

mraynrand
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Oops. I may have the wrong guy. How about - was it 'Dane Setner' on the old JSonline forum or 'TID' who kept retiring from the forum and coming back. It was too funny. Harlan also has had his moments (Que up the quote, Scott Campbell).

Tarlam!
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Oops. I may have the wrong guy. How about - was it 'Dane Setner' on the old JSonline forum or 'TID' who kept retiring from the forum and coming back. It was too funny. Harlan also has had his moments (Que up the quote, Scott Campbell).

I did it once, Ray. Once. And that fucker Madtownpacker was to blame. That same SOB that I love like a brother these days, but back then I coulda killed him, stone fuckin' dead.´Today, I'd protect him with my life.

Funny how times change.

KYPack
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Chris Sims should be available soon.

That's the guy I'd like to see come in. He wants to be a #1 QB, but he's definitely the best guy out there that's available (when he's available).

Sign Simms for 1 or 2 years. When Brohm is truly ready to go, let Chris go. Arod, Simms and Brohm would give us the best depth at QB in the league.