PDA

View Full Version : Training camp discussion - Offensive Line

Patler
07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
In case anyone wants to specifically discuss the O-line battles shaping up for training camp, the current roster includes:

G Allen Barbre 6-4 305
C Brennen Carvalho 6-1 300
T Chad Clifton 6-5 320
G Daryn Colledge 6-4 308
T Ryan Considine 6-4 308
G Junius Coston 6-3 310
T Breno Giacomini 6-7 311
G Ryan Keenan 6-4 303
T Tony Moll 6-5 306
G Josh Sitton 6-3 317
G/C Jason Spitz 6-3 302
G Cameron Stephenson 6-3 314
T Mark Tauscher 6-3 316
T Orrin Thompson 6-6 320
C Scott Wells 6-2 303

With Clifton, Tauscher, Wells, Spitz, Colledge and Barbre virtually guaranteed spots, there should be some interesting battles for the remaining 4 spots or so.

Moll and Coston have to stay healthy for all of the camp, or they could be left on the outside looking in. Neither is a lock to stay even if healthy.

Drafted rookies like Giacomini and Sitton usually stick unless they show absolutely nothing, and that isn't likely. How does that affect the futures of Moll and/or Coston?

The Packers have kept Orrin Thompson around for a season and a half, working on his conversion from a d-linemen to a left tackle. There must be a reason they have kept him as long as they have. Might he show why this year?

Some of this year's group of undrafted rookie free agents seem to be a little something more than a typical camp body. Could one be a surprise and stick with the club?

DonHutson
07-01-2008, 10:35 AM
My guess:

Starters - LT Clifton, LG Barbre, C Wells, RG Spitz, RT Tauscher

Backups - G/T Colledge, G/C Coston, G Sitton, T Giacomini

I think Moll's time is up. Thompson probably has the best chance to break through and take a job.

Charles Woodson
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
My guess:

Starters - LT Clifton, LG Barbre, C Wells, RG Spitz, RT Tauscher

Backups - G/T Colledge, G/C Coston, G Sitton, T Giacomini

I think Moll's time is up. Thompson probably has the best chance to break through and take a job.

Exactly what i was thinking. I really hope that Giacomini can pull through. I mean who doesnt love a 6-7 Tackle? :D

DonHutson
07-01-2008, 10:44 AM
You have to wonder if Colledge is completely safe this year. If Coston proves to be the top backup for the interior positions, Thompson steps up and shows he's the most ready to play backup at LT, and the rookies show enough to stick...

All of a sudden Colledge is competing against depth at other positions like DL or DB for a roster spot.

Patler
07-01-2008, 11:05 AM
You have to wonder if Colledge is completely safe this year. If Coston proves to be the top backup for the interior positions, Thompson steps up and shows he's the most ready to play backup at LT, and the rookies show enough to stick...

All of a sudden Colledge is competing against depth at other positions like DL or DB for a roster spot.

I almost did not include Colledge in the group of those virtually guaranteed spots for that very reason. If he is beaten out as a starter by Barbre, all of a sudden he has to be the second best LT to stay. If Thompson or one of the others shows to be as good or better at LT, Colledge could be looking for a new team.

Coston may have an advantage over Moll, because Coston is considered their third center. Neither has been very durable. Moll could be in for a real battle with the rookies.

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
My guess is that Colledge is safe this year. He's looked pretty good at LT, and the Packers need that security with Clifton banged up and getting older.

privatepacker
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
In case anyone wants to specifically discuss the O-line battles shaping up for training camp, the current roster includes:

G Allen Barbre 6-4 305
T Chad Clifton 6-5 320
G Daryn Colledge 6-4 308
T Ryan Considine 6-4 308
G Junius Coston 6-3 310
G Ryan Keenan 6-4 303
T Tony Moll 6-5 306
G Josh Sitton 6-3 317
G/C Jason Spitz 6-3 302
T Mark Tauscher 6-3 316
T Orrin Thompson 6-6 320
C Scott Wells 6-2 303

With Clifton, Tauscher, Wells, Spitz, Colledge and Barbre virtually guaranteed spots, there should be some interesting battles for the remaining 4 spots or so.

Moll and Coston have to stay healthy for all of the camp, or they could be left on the outside looking in. Neither is a lock to stay even if healthy.

Drafted rookies like Giacomini and Sitton usually stick unless they show absolutely nothing, and that isn't likely. How does that affect the futures of Moll and/or Coston?

The Packers have kept Orrin Thompson around for a season and a half, working on his conversion from a d-linemen to a left tackle. There must be a reason they have kept him as long as they have. Might he show why this year?

Some of this year's group of undrafted rookie free agents seem to be a little something more than a typical camp body. Could one be a surprise and stick with the club?

Sometime, either this year or next Wells may lose his job as starting center. He has been very good but when he gets nicked up, his effectiveness is reduced. I think that either Coston or Spttz will slide to center.

3irty1
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM

G Allen Barbre 6-4 305
T Chad Clifton 6-5 320
G Daryn Colledge 6-4 308
T Ryan Considine 6-4 308
G Junius Coston 6-3 310
G Ryan Keenan 6-4 303
T Tony Moll 6-5 306
G Josh Sitton 6-3 317
G/C Jason Spitz 6-3 302
T Mark Tauscher 6-3 316
T Orrin Thompson 6-6 320
C Scott Wells 6-2 303

Sometime, either this year or next Wells may lose his job as starting center. He has been very good but when he gets nicked up, his effectiveness is reduced. I think that either Coston or Spttz will slide to center.

I don't think Wells has much to worry about.

Patler
07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Wells is an interesting case. Whereas the coaches openly discuss limitations in their young guards, their inadequate performances, etc.; they normally have nothing but praise for Wells. Other so called "experts" don't seem nearly so high on him.

I haven't a clue whether or not he might lose his job to Spitz, for example, if Barbre and Sitton were to come on as guards the next couple seasons. Those three would certainly beef up the middle of the line.

AV David
07-01-2008, 01:39 PM
[Coston may have an advantage over Moll, because Coston is considered their third center. Neither has been very durable. Moll could be in for a real battle with the rookies.[/quote]

I agree Coston and Moll are on the bubble. I don't think both will make the club. If they are about equal, Coston may go because he will be an UFA at the end of the season. Moll needs two more years.

They both have injury issues. Coston is ALWAYS hurt with nagging type injuries. At least when Moll gets hurt its pretty substantial. I am not sure which is better or worse. With Coston, I have never seen the talent on the field the coaches always clammer about. Am I missing something?

2009 Starters:

Clifton, Barbre, Wells, Spitz, Tauscher

Back Ups: Giacomini (sp?) Sitton, Colledge, Moll or Thompson

Gone: Coston

DonHutson
07-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Regarding Wells, the 'experts' see an undersized player who doesn't blast anyone off the line of scrimmage.

The coaches see a guy who's tough, doesn't make mistakes, and who gets everyone on the same page at the line.

Obviously he's making the coaches happy and that's all that really matters as far as his career goes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the kind of scenario where a guy will plug along for a few years, then all of a sudden the coaches and players start to give Pro Bowl consideration - THEN the 'experts' all start talking about what a great player he is.

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I think we know what the Packers really think of Wells when they signed him to the contract extension.

The Shadow
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I think Coston and Thompson get cut.
I see Barbre, Moll, Sitton, and Giacomini on the roster.

Bretsky
07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Time for some of these OG's to step out of Wist's Just a Guy Category

bobblehead
07-01-2008, 05:52 PM

I have trouble envisioning a scenario where the guy who started for 2 years at LG and spot started at LT gets beat out for a spot by a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy or break the starting rotation for 3 years.

vince
07-01-2008, 07:49 PM
My guess...

Starters: Clifton, Barbre, Wells, Spitz, Tauscher

Backups: Colledge, Moll, Sitton, Giacomini

Gioacomini will rarely (if ever this year) make the 45-man, but will be protected on the 53. If someone gets hurt for any substantial amount of time, a guy like Coston (if available) or other ZBS veteran is picked up off the scrap heap and plays ahead of Giacomini. He has good potential, but is too raw to be counted on even in a pinch this year.

woodbuck27
07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
My guess is that Colledge is safe this year. He's looked pretty good at LT, and the Packers need that security with Clifton banged up and getting older.

Colledge is safe.