PDA

View Full Version : Yo AROD- Shut Up and Play

Bretsky
07-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Or maybe shut up til you start playing effectively ? Or maybe let your play speak for itself. Anyways, the backtracking will be a cool feature to watch with all the local media trying to let him explain what he meant. Here are comments from tomorrow's Sports Illustrated Issue

I don't feel I need to sell myself to fans. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut

In reality, AROD should be smarter than this. It's no big deal from my end.

Hopefully he learns a lesson in media relations.

Packnut
07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I can forgive Rodgers for saying the wrong things right now. If ever there was a man with a world of pressure on him, it's A-Rod. Replacing a legend has to be freakin tough. The odds say it can't be done and he knows it.

I'm sure he'll say a few more stupid things between now and the big Monday night opener, but we gotta cut him some slack..........

Bretsky
07-01-2008, 05:33 PM
To be honest this doesn't surprise me that much; I've listened on the radio often to the Packer Beat Reporters, and they've commented that AROD at times has felt like he was not treated fairly by the fans in his first two years..when frankly he did not look good.

I hope he comes in with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and proves the naysayers wrong.

In the mean time, he could begin practicing being humble when he's in front of the press. :idea:

Packnut
07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
To be honest this doesn't surprise me that much; I've listened on the radio often to the Packer Beat Reporters, and they've commented that AROD at times has felt like he was not treated fairly by the fans in his first two years..when frankly he did not look good.

I hope he comes in with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and proves the naysayers wrong.

In the mean time, he could begin practicing being humble when he's in front of the press. :idea:

Well, it's a pretty fine line he has to walk. Combining humility with confidence ain't easy. Favre was a master at it...........

texaspackerbacker
07-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Just another case of the God damned media stirring up trouble where there is none. They did it all through the Favre retirement controversy, all through every trumped up bogus "problem" that ever came along.

The ones who need to "keep their mouths shut" are these stinking media types--report the facts, write an occasional harmless fluff piece, but stop trying to create troulble where there is none with their idiotic questions that do nothing but harm.

vince
07-01-2008, 06:12 PM

Well said. He didn't offend me though. In fact, I like to see a bit of cockiness and a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He's convinced that he's going to succeed and he doens't feel that massaging his image or manipulating public perception is that important. I'm OK with that.

vince
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
He's clarifying/backtracking a tad... Good move.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/01/rodgers-comments-on-the-comment.aspx

JSO Blog by Lori Nickels

Rodgers comments on The Comment

"The biggest disappointment in this whole thing is if anybody is offended by the stuff I say because I think that my track record pretty much speaks for itself in the way I feel about the fans," said Rodgers. "I don't want the wrong message to come out of this."

Rome, SI... He's been getting serious pub lately... He'll learn to be more boring.

Brando19
07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
The fans can get on board or shut up, huh? I hope Rodgers does awesome and leads us to the playoffs. But, if we get on board and realize he's sinking, then we'll have to get on board with Brohm. Show us what you got, ARod, actions speak louder than words. You don't tell the fans to shut up, we pay your fuckin salary.

twoseven
07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Two words for Aaron..Steve Young. AR as a 49ers fan grew up watching Young attempt to follow Montana. He should know full well what he is in store for in GB, and how Young handled that near impossible task (including what he said to the media) should be more than helpful by way of example of how to try and do things.

Bretsky
07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
He's clarifying/backtracking a tad... Good move.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/01/rodgers-comments-on-the-comment.aspx

JSO Blog by Lori Nickels

Rodgers comments on The Comment

"The biggest disappointment in this whole thing is if anybody is offended by the stuff I say because I think that my track record pretty much speaks for itself in the way I feel about the fans," said Rodgers. "I don't want the wrong message to come out of this."

Rome, SI... He's been getting serious pub lately... He'll learn to be more boring.

you can bet the bank that the next couple weeks will be somea infinite backtracking with the local media. He has already tried to soften up his comment with a few from GB.

the_idle_threat
07-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm ready to move on from the Favre era (thanks for everything Brett, and enjoy retirement) and ready to embrace Rodgers as the new leader of the team. I'm pulling for him to do well, and I think he will if he stays healthy (an unavoidable concern given his recent history with the team). But I don't like the idea of him telling fans to shut up. A little backtracking is in order here.

This will be a lesson for him in handling the media. People didn't pay so much attention and didn't care too much about what he said back when he was the backup. Now he's the main guy and everything will be broadcasted, dissected and scrutinized. He will have to learn to be more diplomatic.

BallHawk
07-01-2008, 07:31 PM
None of this would of happened if Rodgers kept his pirate hair.

gbgary
07-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm ready to move on from the Favre era (thanks for everything Brett, and enjoy retirement) and ready to embrace Rodgers as the new leader of the team. I'm pulling for him to do well, and I think he will if he stays healthy (an unavoidable concern given his recent history with the team). But I don't like the idea of him telling fans to shut up. A little backtracking is in order here.

This will be a lesson for him in handling the media. People didn't pay so much attention and didn't care too much about what he said back when he was the backup. Now he's the main guy and everything will be broadcasted, dissected and scrutinized. He will have to learn to be more diplomatic.

me too...and i agree. he just tore his media hamstring. fans will be pretty loud when he throws his first int this year. let's hope it comes after he's thrown a couple of tds rather than after a fumble and a couple of sacks.

falco
07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
None of this would of happened if Rodgers kept his pirate hair.

arrrr.....

RashanGary
07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Rodgers gets a one year free media pass from me. If he's still saying stupid shit at this time next year, I'll consider him dumb enough not to learn and start piling on. Right now, I think what he said was good and I'm glad he has that attitude but I think he was wrong to say it because it just stirs trouble.

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I think it's pretty stupid to criticize Rodgers for this--especially if you were cool with Brett speaking his mind. That's all it was. Wasn't an insult to the fans. More like Brett's "don't bet against me" press conference after he completed rehab.

I like athletes that give honest takes--unless it's really dumb shit.
:D

RashanGary
07-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Brett was still saying stupid shit 15 years into his career (14 years after my free pass). If Rodgers is a 38 year old guy up there stirring shit, I'll be the first to pile on. Right now he's a young, confident guy that hasn't been snake bitten enough by the media to know better. No harm, no foul.

Favre was bad IMO. He knew better (or should have if he's not an idiot) and kept doing it.

gbgary
07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
what did Brett ever say other than honor your contract?

Packnut
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Brett was still saying stupid shit 15 years into his career (14 years after my free pass). If Rodgers is a 38 year old guy up there stirring shit, I'll be the first to pile on. Right now he's a young, confident guy that hasn't been snake bitten enough by the media to know better. No harm, no foul.

Favre was bad IMO. He knew better (or should have if he's not an idiot) and kept doing it.

A tad hypocritical are'nt ya? I mean you post stupid shit after stupid shit so your criticism of Favre really is the pot calling the kettle black........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Your shtick is getting old.

Joemailman
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
JH is bad IMO. He knows better (or should have if he's not an idiot) and keeps doing it.

woodbuck27
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM

OK JH... on with all the Favre 'idiotic' quotes.

Back yourself up. You can't do it. :)

Bretsky
07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Honestly, what AROD stated didn't bug me much; I posted this with a sarcastic tone figuring it would spur discussion. I didn't lay into Favre for saying goofy stuff so I'm not ripping into AROD.

But AROD should get no free pass for those who are more nitpicky in how players handle the media IMO. I'd think anybody who rips into Favre for some bad quotes should do the same with Rodgers.

He's observed Favre's miscues for long enough while he was riding the pine. And if you glorify AROD for saying all of the right things I would think you would be critical when he does not.

MadtownPacker
07-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I think Rodgers needed to say "I don't feel I need to sell myself to THE MEDIA. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut ".

Not sure we he is calling out fans of a team he hasnt does anything for yet. Not good thing to say IMO but I also give him a pass on this for now.

cpk1994
07-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I think it's pretty stupid to criticize Rodgers for this--especially if you were cool with Brett speaking his mind. That's all it was. Wasn't an insult to the fans. More like Brett's "don't bet against me" press conference after he completed rehab.

:DYeah, its amaizing how some on here are ripping ARrod for his comment when they were perfectly fine withh Brett doing the same thing. Its not stupid to criticize Aaron if you were cool with Brett speaking his mind, its hypocritical.

mission
07-02-2008, 04:07 AM
i talk like an idiot when marketing my music because i know it floors the shit out of people when they finally hear it ...

people look at me side eyed and give me that "ok kid, whatever" kind of look but i brag with passion when i have to, when i need to. all i need is ONE listen... people who need to know, know.

i dont think it's the same situation here obviously but i can also (maybe) understand where he's coming from. im constantly being questioned and tested and i constantly pass with A+'s ... im sick and tired of it. people just need to KNOW by now. i realize that skills, talent and passion only get you so far -- patience is the ultra virtue!

im confident as shit, you cant stop me and im the next biggest thing (lol)... "the next timbaland?" is the sub-headline in grip magazine next month, actually...

so hopefully, arod, like me... is the next big thing.

otherwise, he's just a dumbass, like the line im so comfortable with ... ;-)

i say GOOD FOR HIM.

talk the talk all you want... i want you to back it up now. if you talk that big and you're a man who can back that shit up then we're in for a huge season.

boom!

packinpatland
07-02-2008, 07:01 AM
I think Rodgers needed to say "I don't feel I need to sell myself to THE MEDIA. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut ".

Not sure we he is calling out fans of a team he hasnt does anything for yet. Not good thing to say IMO but I also give him a pass on this for now.

This was pretty much what I was going to say. I don't have a problem with what he said.....it was HOW he said it. Until he's got a few games (winning games) behind him, he needs to show his 'bravado' yet do it in a way as to not alienate the fans............or the media. Best thing he can do is just shut his mouth and let his game speak for him...........that has always proven to be the best way to silence any critic.(s)

Rogers does find himself in a precarious position........the dubious job of having to follow, not just a great QB, but a loved QB.........a QB some think may not be replaced easily. Like I said.........he should just keep his mouth shut and play.

packinpatland
07-02-2008, 07:05 AM

:DYeah, its amaizing how some on here are ripping ARrod for his comment when they were perfectly fine withh Brett doing the same thing. Its not stupid to criticize Aaron if you were cool with Brett speaking his mind, its hypocritical.

Brett already had the 'stuff' to back up his 'bet against me' quote.
Rogers has yet to start a game for heaven's sake. Not saying he can't do it....no reason to see why he won't. But until you've played and won.......just keep quiet..........

Badgerinmaine
07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
You know, I can see why ARod would say something like he did. He's probably sick and tired of all the Favre questions; he's also showing some of the self-confidence someone in his position needs. What I think he was saying (esp. after reading the clarifications) was "Look, I love the fans here and love to be a Packer--but I'm going out there to do my job whether you love me or not--and if you don't like me, that's your problem. Brett's gone, and we're all just going to have to deal with it". It might not be how I would have said it, and the people who say he should walk a little humbler until he's been at this a while longer have a point, but I think he's just trying to stay focused on his job instead of trying to win a popularity poll.

Tarlam!
07-02-2008, 08:14 AM

'kay, Tony, I buy you're the next big thing. When you actually make it, do not forget the rodents that supported you.

sharpe1027
07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
The way he phrased it was pretty bad, you don't tell people to shutup unless you are trying to piss them off.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I think the idea is that fans should support the team. He hasn't had a chance to earn much criticism or praise just yet.

Zool
07-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Holy fuckin mountain out of a mole hill. I dont care if the guy instults my mother to my face. He's not paid to speak publicly he's paid to play football.

God I hate the off season. Feigning offense to something a pro football player said is kinda sad dont you think? Between this thread and the McCarthy and his wife thread....i dont even know what to say anymore. Time to unbunch some panties around here.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

RODGERS SUCKS UP TO FANS

Posted by Mike Florio on July 2, 2008, 9:24 a.m.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has touched off a major firestorm in Packerland, via the following quote from the new Sports Illustrated: “I don’t feel I need to sell myself to the fans. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut.”

Rodgers has addressed the remarks, but refused to say whether he was misquoted or whether the remarks were taken out of context.

(In other words, he was quoted properly, and his words weren’t taken out of context.)

“I do care deeply about the fans and I think anybody who has been to training camp and sees I’m a lot of times the last one out signing autographs sees I care about the fans, I care about their opinions,” Rodgers tells the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

“Everybody wants the fans to care for them and to pull for them and I am no different. That’s why the thing that would bother me the most would be if anybody would be offended by the things that were stated because I do care about the fans. . . .

“The biggest disappointment in this whole thing is if anybody is offended by the stuff I say because I think that my track record pretty much speaks for itself in the way I feel about the fans,” Rodgers said.

”I don’t want the wrong message to come out of this.”

Click LINK to read more.

Charles Woodson
07-02-2008, 10:33 AM

Rogers has yet to start a game for heaven's sake. Not saying he can't do it....no reason to see why he won't. But until you've played and won.......just keep quiet..........

Just like PIPL said, your shit wont fly in this context. FAvre already proved himself. And A-Rod? Honestly, i would hope that the guy is more concentrated on football, then he is the media/fans.

mraynrand
07-02-2008, 10:39 AM
i talk like an idiot when marketing my music because i know it floors the shit out of people when they finally hear it ...

people look at me side eyed and give me that "ok kid, whatever" kind of look but i brag with passion when i have to, when i need to. all i need is ONE listen... people who need to know, know.

I like your style. You gotta sell yourself in any business. A lot of people don't get this. Keep up the confidence. Never say die.

Charles Woodson
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM

i dont think it's the same situation here obviously but i can also (maybe) understand where he's coming from. im constantly being questioned and tested and i constantly pass with A+'s ... im sick and tired of it. people just need to KNOW by now. i realize that skills, talent and passion only get you so far -- patience is the ultra virtue!

im confident as shit, you cant stop me and im the next biggest thing (lol)... "the next timbaland?" is the sub-headline in grip magazine next month, actually...

i say GOOD FOR HIM.

talk the talk all you want... i want you to back it up now. if you talk that big and you're a man who can back that shit up then we're in for a huge season.

boom!
Really quick, Do you sell other peoples music, or is this stuff your own?

CaliforniaCheez
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I haven't anywhere the fans saying negative things about Rodgers except viking customers (Tavaris is an experienced starter and Rodgers hasn't started an NFL game).

Most Packer fans are smart enough thatRodgers is going to start and things are about as good for him as it will ever be in the NFL.

They've seen what happens when a guy like Romo developes properly and steps right in on a good team. They have also seen those thrown to the wolves early like Alex Smith on a bad team.

It is the media that has hounded Rodgers for months saying he hasn't shown anything yet. Hey media guys, he can't do anything for you until September.

My question is how long until the media starts ripping the 49'ers for taking Smith instead of Rodgers??

Part of being the starting QB for the Packers is handling the media. Rodgers is learning. It will be easier when he has some success on the field.

There are going to be many media stories:

Girlfriend at the game like Romo.

The Brett monkey of his back like Steve Young.

Fans expect more in this town like Brian Griese following Elway.

All of those were media creations and not reality.

Why do people believe everything the media says when they are always having to say the opposite of what they did a few months ago. Remeber the Packers weren't doing enough for Brett and had no name WR's last year?? The same guys now are called one of the NFL's best by the media.

Look how many Brett Favre rumors with no truth and no quotes from him appeared every off season.

It's part of the job no Mr. Rodgers. Learn from Brett and always treat them nicely even when they say bad things about you.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM

Just like PIPL said, your shit wont fly in this context. FAvre already proved himself. And A-Rod? Honestly, i would hope that the guy is more concentrated on football, then he is the media/fans.

Forget Favre and the comparisons.

Aaron Rodgers needs ' a chill pill '. :) He's placing undo pressure on himself and he hasn't won an NFL game yet.

Pugger
07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
You know, I can see why ARod would say something like he did. He's probably sick and tired of all the Favre questions; he's also showing some of the self-confidence someone in his position needs. What I think he was saying (esp. after reading the clarifications) was "Look, I love the fans here and love to be a Packer--but I'm going out there to do my job whether you love me or not--and if you don't like me, that's your problem. Brett's gone, and we're all just going to have to deal with it". It might not be how I would have said it, and the people who say he should walk a little humbler until he's been at this a while longer have a point, but I think he's just trying to stay focused on his job instead of trying to win a popularity poll.

Badgerinmaine stole my thunder. When I heard about this yesterday I thought Rodgers may have spoken carelessly because some media fool was asking him about following in Brett's footsteps and the fans' reaction AGAIN. :roll: Lord, I'll be glad once TC starts too!! :?

cpk1994
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Girlfriend at the game like Romo.
Unless ARod starts dating a celebrity, he won't have that issue to contend with.

Gunakor
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM

Aaron Rodgers needs ' a chill pill '. :) He's placing undo pressure on himself and he hasn't won an NFL game yet.

He hasn't had the opportunity to win an NFL game yet. It sounds to me like he knows he can win. It doesn't matter what any of us think about him. He knows he can win, as do MM and TT and the rest of the Packer organization. They are the only ones who need to know that right now. Not the media. So let A-Rod talk up a storm if he wants to. He wouldn't say these things unless he knew he could back up the shit he says. I hope he keeps talking up a storm.

And for the record, he's absolutely right. Regardless what that weasel Bus Cook says, Favre isn't coming back to play. This is the way it's going to be. Legends retire. A-Rod is our QB now. If you don't wanna get on board, stop following the bandwagon.

mission
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM

i say GOOD FOR HIM.

boom!
Really quick, Do you sell other peoples music, or is this stuff your own?

It's mine (I tried to say that really quick). I'm not a suit. I'm a camo short wearing dude with a shaved head, a really rough beard and usually a stretched out wife beater with some vitamin water or jack daniels spilled on it somewhere. (aka musician)

I've gotten to the point now where a lot of up and coming producers run into me at studios around town and try to drop me a CD or get me to listen to some hooks they wrote or something so now Ive been putting together a little army of kids I feel have the most potential and trying to help them get to the next level ... shit that I can brand under the Mission name like Dre did with Scott Stortch or whatever... it helps me make sure "i always have what you need" and it allows younger folks a chance to piggy back their way into the industry. everybody wins.

and madtown was right exactly. arod shoulda just clarified and made that a media comment...

either way, he's fine. just play the game arod, let that shit talk for you. it's so tough waiting your turn tho.. i feel for him.

mission
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM

'kay, Tony, I buy you're the next big thing. When you actually make it, do not forget the rodents that supported you.

when i make it BIG BIG we'll have massive poster game parties and ill thank the rats at the grammys :lol:

(im not really kidding heh)

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Grip magazine?

Sounds like a gay porn mag!!

Next Timbaland...wow, are you recycling the 80s as well?

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 05:41 PM

He hasn't had the opportunity to win an NFL game yet. It sounds to me like he knows he can win. It doesn't matter what any of us think about him. He knows he can win, as do MM and TT and the rest of the Packer organization. They are the only ones who need to know that right now. Not the media. So let A-Rod talk up a storm if he wants to. He wouldn't say these things unless he knew he could back up the shit he says. I hope he keeps talking up a storm.

And for the record, he's absolutely right. Regardless what that weasel Bus Cook says, Favre isn't coming back to play. This is the way it's going to be. Legends retire. A-Rod is our QB now. If you don't wanna get on board, stop following the bandwagon.

'' And for the record, he's absolutely right. Regardless what that weasel Bus Cook says, Favre isn't coming back to play. This is the way it's going to be. Legends retire. A-Rod is our QB now. If you don't wanna get on board, stop following the bandwagon.'' Gunakor

Are you following 'the news' Gunakor?

On board of what specificlly.There isn't any NFL fan or Packer fan that can say right now positively, who will be our starting QB with this speculative news rumor.

Right? :D

Gunakor
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM

'' And for the record, he's absolutely right. Regardless what that weasel Bus Cook says, Favre isn't coming back to play. This is the way it's going to be. Legends retire. A-Rod is our QB now. If you don't wanna get on board, stop following the bandwagon.'' Gunakor

Are you following 'the news' Gunakor?

On board of what specificlly.There isn't any NFL fan or Packer fan that can say right now positively, who will be our starting QB with this speculative news rumor.

Right? :D

Here's the news Woody. Bus Cook asked Ted Thompson on behalf of Brett Favre if Favre could come back to be the starter this year, and Ted Thompson said no. Cook then asked Thompson for Favre's release, and again Ted Thopmson said no. Per Thompson's statement earlier this year, it's "inconcievable" that TT would ever trade Favre to another team to finish his career. What does all of this mean? That Favre is RETIRED. He's done. If he wanted to come back and play in 2008 he shouldn't have said he was retiring. Thompson wouldn't have drafted 2 quarterbacks in the draft, a move he cannot take back just because Favre says he was just kidding.

pbmax
07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I am thread jumping here, so I apologize in advance for duplications and incorrect assertions.

Arog (I cannot bring myself to call him ARod, unless he starts dating Madonna) has my full support. I have not seen the article so I have no context other than what has been reported, but while this may have been a stupid thing to say, I agree with what I assume to be the sentiment. Its time to move on.

Before this weeks new Favre returning rumor, I was of the mind that Packer fans had done a better than recognized job of saying goodbye to 4 and getting ready for the next phase. I don't think most of the media (even homegrown) recognizes that.

So in some sense, Rodgers comment betrays his own confusion (and possibly the confusion of the reporter) that there is a larger contingent holding their breath for Favre's return than are ready for Rodgers to begin.

I hope this doesn't change the percentages.

MJZiggy
07-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Does anyone remember if it was Mort who reported that Favre was retiring a few years back and turned out to be completely dead wrong???

Rastak
07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Does anyone remember if it was Mort who reported that Favre was retiring a few years back and turned out to be completely dead wrong???

Not sure but he was the guy who reported he was retiring this year, which was 100% correct.....(kind of LOL)......