PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Inc roundtable on NFC North teams

motife
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Scouts Inc. is breaking down each division in a roundtable discussion, with each scout offering his pick for the best offense and defense as well as the most important offseason move in the division. Here's the scouts' look at the NFC North.

Which team has the best offense in the NFC North?
Jeremy Green: I'm not sure a team has ever had a first-ballot, Hall-of-Fame quarterback retire and still had the best offense in its division, but that is the case with the Green Bay Packers. Even though there are questions about new starter Aaron Rodgers, who has never started an NFL game, the other pieces are in place. Green Bay has a solid interior offensive line with good depth, a running back who fits the system in Ryan Grant and three playmaking receivers outside in Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and James Jones. Rodgers does not have to be phenomenal, he just has to drive the bus, take care of the ball and allow his teammates to make plays.

Gary Horton:Picking the Packers without Brett Favre is risky, but the other three teams in the division have even more offensive flaws. This is a West Coast spread attack with a lot of varied personnel groupings, and Green Bay has a lot of talent. The playbook won't change and the zone-blocking run game should be improved from a year ago.

Keith Kidd: This was a tough call between the Vikings and Packers. Even though Rodgers will experience growing pains, the Packers still have a very talented supporting cast that should help in the transition from Favre to Rodgers. Head coach Mike McCarthy emphasizes a short, high-percentage passing attack out of multiple spread groupings to set up the run. The Packers have a talented receiving corps led by Driver, Jennings, Jones and second-round pick Jordy Nelson. The Packers also have a good young corps of running backs in Grant and Brandon Jackson, and a deep and talented offensive line.

Matt Williamson: While I respect the Vikings' running game a great deal and Lions WRs Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams could end up being the best receiving duo in the league by season's end, Green Bay still has the best offense in the NFC North. Rodgers was a first-round pick for a reason and he has learned from the best. Green Bay has an excellent offensive line, an effective downhill running game and more receiving weapons than it knows what to do with. The Packers will put up plenty of points and I am not sure I can say that about the other three teams in this division.

Which team has the best defense in the NFC North?
Green: Any debate about whether Green Bay or Minnesota has the best defense ended the day the Vikings acquired DE Jared Allen from the Chiefs. Adding an elite pass-rusher to the Vikings' defensive line almost seems like piling it on because they are already stout versus the run with DTs Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. The Vikings will have the most dominating front in the NFL and once again will finish the season with the No. 1-ranked run defense. Not to mention, the pressure Allen will put on opposing quarterbacks will make the Vikings' secondary much better as well.

Kidd:With the addition of Allen, the Vikings get the slight edge over the Packers and Bears. Allen should provide a huge spark to the Vikings' pass rush with his relentless style and pass-rush skills. The Vikings' run defense was ranked No. 1 in the league last season and the addition of FS Madieu Williams should also improve the range and coverage skills on the back end.

Williamson: The Vikings improved on defense this offseason despite the fact they already were an elite run-stopping unit. If I had to pick one defense as the top dog in the NFL right now, I would choose the Vikings. Everyone knows about the addition of Allen, which is huge from a production standpoint, but his presence also could make fellow DEs Brian Robison and Ray Edwards household names because Allen will command so much attention. Plus, they will lighten the load on a secondary that added two talented safeties. This group is stacked on all levels, but make no mistake, it all starts up front. As amazing as it sounds, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams might actually still be underrated, but not for long.

Kretz:The Vikings had a dominating run defense in 2007 and should continue to dominate in 2008. They have added one of the best pass-rushers in Allen as well as a quality safety in Williams. This should help them defend the pass, as teams have been forced to abandon the run and become one-dimensional passing offenses versus Minnesota.

What was the most important offseason move in the NFC North?

Can Aaron Rodgers become the franchise quarterback in Green Bay?
Green: I will go with the elevation of Rodgers to the starting spot in Green Bay. The team also added a little pressure because his backup will be rookie Brian Brohm, who was the smartest quarterback in the 2007 draft class. All the pieces are still in place for Green Bay to make a Super Bowl run, but the outcome will hinge on how quickly Rodgers can take over the reins and not only run the offense, but lead this football team.

Kretz: The Vikings were last in the NFC in pass defense in 2007, due in part to the fact that teams simply couldn't run at all against Minnesota and in part because the Vikings couldn't mount a great pass rush. Trading for Allen will give them the kind of pressure off the edge that will make it hard for opposing quarterbacks to scan the coverage and find an open receiver. This could provides the Vikings with the missing piece that will give them one of the toughest defenses in the league.

Moll: The most important offseason move the Vikings' acquiring one explosive player on each side of the ball. Getting one of the most explosive pass-rushing defensive ends in Allen should help improve a glaring weakness on Minnesota's defense. Plus, snatching a dangerous receiver from a division rival in former Bears WR Bernard Berrian gives the Vikings the deep threat they have needed for a long time.

Ribary: It has to be the retirement of Favre. It's hard to imagine the Packers without him, but this day has been a long time coming. While this could change the whole balance of power in the division, I have a feeling Green Bay will survive the transition and start a new identity without No. 4. The Packers also did the right thing drafting Brohm for competition and insurance.

Williamson: Of course it is Favre's retirement. When any all-time great, let alone a quarterback who was playing at a high level, hangs up his cleats it is extremely important. Green Bay and its fans will have to go on without No. 4, but the Packer's offense will still be very dangerous with Rodgers leading the way. He has been groomed for this day and his very good supporting cast will allow for a reasonably smooth transition. Rodgers will be the best quarterback in the NFC North by midseason.

billy_oliver880
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't understand the love for the vikings defense. They added on good player. Based on just points per game last year on defense the vikings rank 12th in the league. Kansas City came in at 14th in points per game. Green Bay came in at 6th. I think they are making him out to be a savior. He will help but is he going to make the vikings a top 5 defense??

Rastak
07-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't understand the love for the vikings defense. They added on good player. Based on just points per game last year on defense the vikings rank 12th in the league. Kansas City came in at 14th in points per game. Green Bay came in at 6th. I think they are making him out to be a savior. He will help but is he going to make the vikings a top 5 defense??

They added a safety which should be an upgrade, the NFL sack leader and have a young defensive end who should make a nice jump after a year of learning. The main issue they had was outside pressure and if Robison improves and Ray Edwards breaks the sack record( kidding), if Edwards and Robison do a good job I expect them to be a better team defensively then they were a year ago. How much better? Not sure, but a better than last year.

Lurker64
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I think the most important thing about the Vikings defense is how well Fat Pat can play this year, as he's both in the twilight of his career or one of the key cogs in that defense. Take him out and, as good as Kevin Williams is, that team is a lot easier to run inside on. Heck, I expect the Vikings run defense as a whole to take a step back this year, since Jared Allen is more notable for "giving up contain to gamble for a pressure" than for his run defense.

I fully expect the Vikings pass defense to take a step forward this year, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see their run defense take a step back. But, all of this is decided on the field and what I think is largely immaterial when it comes to "what's going to happen."

Guiness
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
The most interesting part of the comments about the defense were that the Bears were only mentioned once in passing. No respect for that crew anymore.