PDA

View Full Version : All-Time list of out-of-shape athletes

oregonpackfan
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Plump It Up
By Lee Russakoff
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:33:42 GMT
Click on the pictures of the oversized men below to see the whole list. We get dogged often in this country for being an overweight society. But big people are people too. And there are plenty of jobs for the chunky men in our lives. They can be plus-sized models, they can be hot dog stand vendors, they can even join a boy band (just ask Joey Fatone).

But why just be a part of a community when you can break the mold, blow up a stereotype, and prove you don't need rock-hard abs to be a sportsman?

A few brave souls have done exactly that. They are living proof that a couple of extra trips to KFC is not necessarily an impediment to making a living as a professional athlete.

So eat and dream on, America. Comcast.net Sports Editor Steve Lienert has compiled a list of Out-of-Shape Athletes who have your back.

Click on the pictures of the oversized men below to view the entire list, vote for your favorite out-of-shape athlete ever, and then add your own comment on who Steve forgot to add to the list.

http://www.comcast.net/sports/russakoffrules/7510/plumpitup/

Click on the pictures of the over-sized men to see the whole list.

Scott Campbell
07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Is Don Money on that list?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Is Don Money on that list?

Almost all the baseball players of the 70s and early 80s were out of shape. Remember, they had baseball skills.

Money over chain smokin Simmons?

Where are Hot plate williams, mel turpin, and oliver miller?

BTW, the list is pose to be best out of shape..not just out of shape.

mraynrand
07-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Without looking, I would expect DTs to be highly represented: Gravy Jackson, Gilbert Brown, Sam Adams, Ted Washington, just to name a few (Was it Traylor, the 'DT' from Denver who ate his way from LB to DT. Man did that guy look bloated. Also, there was a center for Marquette in the 80s who was bloated beyond belief... How about Muhammed Ali versus ?Cooney or Spinks? later in his career. Terrible.

the_idle_threat
07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Without looking, I would expect DTs to be highly represented: Gravy Jackson, Gilbert Brown, Sam Adams, Ted Washington, just to name a few (Was it Traylor, the 'DT' from Denver who ate his way from LB to DT. Man did that guy look bloated. Also, there was a center for Marquette in the 80s who was bloated beyond belief... How about Muhammed Ali versus ?Cooney or Spinks? later in his career. Terrible.

I was surprised to find none of the above on the list. They had Tony Siragusa and Fridge Perry who together seemed to represent all defensive tackles. They really should have had Gravy Jackson on there. That guy was (and is) about as wide as he was tall. It was just amazing how he could get himself in instant locomotion to drag down running backs.

falco
07-01-2008, 08:30 PM
you know who was a horrible athelete? michael hawthorne... what the hell was that guy doing in the NFL

red
07-01-2008, 08:37 PM
glad to see john kruk on the list

he had easily the best exit i've ever seen. i was watching the white sox game when he gets a base hit. he asks for the ball and walks right off the field, into the dugout and back to the club house. a few minutes later they announce that he retired

classic

Jimx29
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
*wonders how out of shape the writer of this article is*

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM

he had easily the best exit i've ever seen. i was watching the white sox game when he gets a base hit. he asks for the ball and walks right off the field, into the dugout and back to the club house. a few minutes later they announce that he retired

classic

Food is always on John Kruk’s mind. He writes a column called “Chewing the Fat,” he once said he'd like to spend the rest of his life “eating at the Sizzler’s buffet,”......

:lol:

mraynrand
07-02-2008, 01:04 PM

classic

Food is always on John Kruk’s mind. He writes a column called “Chewing the Fat,” he once said he'd like to spend the rest of his life “eating at the Sizzler’s buffet,”......

:lol:

Scott: What's the Steak Chain Restaurant Hierarchy?

1) Ruth Chris
2) Outback
3) Sizzler/Ponderosa
4) Steak and Shake

cpk1994
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
you know who was a horrible athelete? michael hawthorne... what the hell was that guy doing in the NFL*Mike Sherman raises hand* "Ooh, ooh, I know I know........"

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2008, 05:15 PM

I was surprised to find none of the above on the list. They had Tony Siragusa and Fridge Perry who together seemed to represent all defensive tackles. They really should have had Gravy Jackson on there. That guy was (and is) about as wide as he was tall. It was just amazing how he could get himself in instant locomotion to drag down running backs.

I don't think you can criticize defensive tackles for being big. It's a little like saying the world champ Sumo wrestler is out of shape.

They work harder than anybody on the team carrying around all that weight, so its a little strange to say that they are lazy or soft. No doubt most have eating disorders, which they will pay for dearly. But the sport allows them to compete well at that size, and most wouldn't be able to play at low body fat.

the_idle_threat
07-03-2008, 12:20 AM

I don't think you can criticize defensive tackles for being big. It's a little like saying the world champ Sumo wrestler is out of shape.

They work harder than anybody on the team carrying around all that weight, so its a little strange to say that they are lazy or soft. No doubt most have eating disorders, which they will pay for dearly. But the sport allows them to compete well at that size, and most wouldn't be able to play at low body fat.

I don't think anybody's criticizing. Defensive tackles are often my favorite players on the team. I identify with them, being a 300+ pound guy myself. And you're correct that it's a good thing that they're that big---it's necessary for the job. But it's still amazing how athletic they are for thier size and shape---guys that size and shape just aren't supposed to be that quick!

bobblehead
07-03-2008, 01:25 AM

strangely this is why TT loves harrel, he has the body of a heavy linebacker....but is 3 inches taller and goes 300+