PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Players

HarveyWallbangers
07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Prisco at CBS has three Packers (Jolly, Hawk, and Brandon Jackson) on his list of 30 breakout players for this season.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10882613

17. A.J. Hawk, LB, Green Bay Packers: The Packers expect big things from Hawk in his third season. He showed improvement last season, but needs to play more instinctively. With two years under his belt, look for that to happen.

21. Johnny Jolly, DT, Green Bay Packers: He takes over as the starter inside after Corey Williams was traded to the Browns. Jolly showed well in his time last season before he tore a rotator cuff. He's battling back from that, but the Packers expect him on the field when camp opens.

28. Brandon Jackson, RB, Green Bay Packers: I know Ryan Grant is the starter and he played well last season. But Packers coaches really like Jackson. With a year under his belt in terms of picking up blitz packages, he will be on the field more in his second season. He did rush for 113 yards on 20 carries in the season finale after not doing much when he started the first three games of the season.

It's hard to take him seriously after this though (well, that and the fact he says Jolly will take over for Williams; Jolly was the starter before getting injured):

26. Troy Williamson, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars: He was considered a flop in Minnesota after his selection in the first round of the 2005 draft. He had 79 catches in his first three seasons, just 24 in 2007. That's why the Vikings traded him to the Jaguars for a sixth-round pick. During the Jaguars' offseason work, Williamson was outstanding. He didn't drop a pass. If that carries over to camp, his speed will be a big addition to the Jacksonville passing game.

Rastak
07-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Yup Harv, he blew all credibility.

Bossman641
07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Word outta Jaguars camp is that Williamson has been really impressive. The coaches are waiting to see if he can carry it over to a game though. I'm not sure if he is actually turning the corner or if he has aways looked good during the offseason. Rastak?

HarveyWallbangers
07-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Williamson always looked impressive in camp. One year it was because of his eye surgery. Another year because he took 1000 balls/day from the Juggs Machine. The guy has lobster hands. He also doesn't have the ability to see a ball in the air and instinctively adjust his body to it.

oregonpackfan
07-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I think Brandon Jackson is going to establish himself as a third down back. At the end of the season, he caught several passes out of the backfield showing some excellent open field running ability.

BallHawk
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I think Brandon Jackson is going to establish himself as a third down back. At the end of the season, he caught several passes out of the backfield showing some excellent open field running ability.

Only thing is, we didn't spend a 2nd round pick for Tony Fisher II.

Rastak
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Word outta Jaguars camp is that Williamson has been really impressive. The coaches are waiting to see if he can carry it over to a game though. I'm not sure if he is actually turning the corner or if he has aways looked good during the offseason. Rastak?

Yea, like Harvey said he works really hard, and he'll catch a few during practice. Come game time, he seems to have no concentration at all. He can't adjust to the ball well. He's a terrible reciever.

texaspackerbacker
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Regarding Williamson, up to now, probably most of his impressive performance has been without pads. A lot of wideouts look good that way.

Regarding Brandon Jackson, I'm all for him, just as I'm all for any Packer, but I just don't see him having even a large fraction of the raw talent and burst that Grant has. If he has a breakout year, IMO, it can only happen if for some reason Grant isn't available. And if that happens, the Packers are worse off no matter how much Jackson is improved.

I see Cullen Jenkins breaking out if he stays healthy. Ditto that for Justin Harrell, but probably with less likelihood of the good health. I think Popinga keeps his job and is much improved.

It's hard to pick anybody on offense--other than Rodgers--as a break out player because so many broke out last year. I see intense quality competition at Guard, and whoever ends up getting the starts breaks out. I also think James Jones does something like Jennings does last year. He will get the lightest coverage of the top three. Some have said he's slow, but a year ago, they were saying that about Jennings too.

Joemailman
07-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Jackson will be more than a 3rd down back. The average NFL team has about 450 rushing attempts over the course of a season. If Ryan Grant has about 275 carries, which is about average for a starter, that leaves 175 carries. I think Brandon could easily get 100-150 carries this year.

falco
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
i think t-will has a good chance at breaking out this year

falco
10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
i think t-will has a good chance at breaking out this year

bump for posterity

Deputy Nutz
10-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Justin Harrell.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 09:14 PM