PDA

View Full Version : Rumor mill will not die.

sheepshead
07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Is Favre's agent pushing him to play in 2008?
Brett Favre

Getty Images

Though the precise discussions between "retired" quarterback Brett Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, likely are known only to Favre and Cook, some league insiders are assuming that Cook is pushing Favre to play in 2008 according to Profootballtalk.com.

The assumption is based on a perception that Cook has been yapping openly (but not yet publicly) about Favre's supposed desire to play in 2008. Because Favre seems, at least superficially, to be content with the notion of retirement, the assumption then is that Cook is trying to get Favre to change his mind and unretire.

Cook said in the immediate wake of Favre's decision to retire that Cook thinks Favre wanted to play in 2008, but that Favre believed the Packers didn't want him to return. There also was a report from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times of Cook quietly shopping Favre via trade, and we later confirmed that report.

If Favre would decide to play, his options would be to play for the Packers or no one. As to the Packers, the options would to welcome him back (and pay him an eight-figure base salary), trade him, or cut him loose.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Is Favre's agent pushing him to play in 2008?
Brett Favre

Getty Images

Though the precise discussions between "retired" quarterback Brett Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, likely are known only to Favre and Cook, some league insiders are assuming that Cook is pushing Favre to play in 2008 according to Profootballtalk.com.

The assumption is based on a perception that Cook has been yapping openly (but not yet publicly) about Favre's supposed desire to play in 2008. Because Favre seems, at least superficially, to be content with the notion of retirement, the assumption then is that Cook is trying to get Favre to change his mind and unretire.

Cook said in the immediate wake of Favre's decision to retire that Cook thinks Favre wanted to play in 2008, but that Favre believed the Packers didn't want him to return. There also was a report from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times of Cook quietly shopping Favre via trade, and we later confirmed that report.

If Favre would decide to play, his options would be to play for the Packers or no one. As to the Packers, the options would to welcome him back (and pay him an eight-figure base salary), trade him, or cut him loose.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

V. interesting speculation.

Favre had a great season in 2007 and unquestionly left 'his heart' on the field. He was certainly the offensive player of the year in the NFC. Five times 'Offensive Player of the Week', out of 16 games, for the entire NFL.The Packer record 13-3.

He believes he can still contribute somehow.

Aaron Rodgers mouth may have been all it took, to fire Favre up, and a trade is a win-win for Ted Thompson. Miami needs a QB and it's close to Favre's home.

Maybe ARod shot off for a good reason or otherwise why would he elect that route? There may have been more to that Jim Rome interview than meets the eye?

Nature taking it's course with a little push.The NFL will be better in 2008 with Brett Favre actively playing and starting at QB somewhere. :)

PACKERS FOREVER.

Patler
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Do Favre's fans really want Favre to stay so long that he ends his career like Willie Mays, one of the best defensive outfielders ever, playing for the Mets after a career with the Giants, stumbling around under routine flyballs and missing them!

Favre is leaving with only good thoughts about him in the minds of his fans. They will never have that sad image to recall of a washed up Favre playing a year too long, on the wrong team and playing poorly. You never know when that can happen. If his mind isn't committed, it would be a mistake to play.

Let Favre go! He earned his retirement.

CaliforniaCheez
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Remeber this Bus Cook was the idiot pushing all the Randy Moss rumors and how Brett wouldn't play etc. He was a salesman trying to sell a bad product-Randy Moss.

Some gullable people actually believed that crap about the packers having no proven WR's and that Moss would have been good for the Packers. It was really sickening to see people who said they were Packer fans actually say that stuff.

I guess there are still people that hate Ted Thompson. I mean as little he wants to part with a draft pick giving up a 6th rounder for the unknown street free agent Grant some foolish fans want only the guys the media talks about and don't trust Ted's judgement.

As to Bus Cook opening his trap and flapping the old soup coolers, he gets 3% of what Brett gets paid. Brett has been paid over 10 million a year for quite a while. That's over $300,000 a year to Bus Cook.

That parasite has to find a new host.

oregonpackfan
07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Do Favre's fans really want Favre to stay so long that he ends his career like Willie Mays, one of the best defensive outfielders ever, playing for the Mets after a career with the Giants, stumbling around under routine flyballs and missing them!

I agree completely with you, Patler. Other greats who played on too long include pitcher Warren Spahn of the Milwaukee Braves, and football greats Johnny Unitas and Jerry Rice.

Favre retired still relatively healthy. Do we want him to come back and end his career with a horrendous injury like Joe Theisman's broken leg on national TV?

Last year, Favre had one of his best seasons in his career. Let us remember him as a phenonmenal Packer who went out "on top of his game."

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 10:31 AM

Favre is leaving with only good thoughts about him in the minds of his fans. They will never have that sad image to recall of a washed up Favre playing a year too long, on the wrong team and playing poorly. You never know when that can happen. If his mind isn't committed, it would be a mistake to play.

I agree with you Patler but you and I and noone else is Brett Favre. I will support his final decision. Last I understood he's still under contract to 'the Packers' and Aaron Rodgers mouth may have indeed fired him up.

What was Aaron Rodgers thinking because he was careless with his choice of words and imagine just for a moment Patler...

Your Favre reading and feeling those words.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Remeber this Bus Cook was the idiot pushing all the Randy Moss rumors and how Brett wouldn't play etc. He was a salesman trying to sell a bad product-Randy Moss.

Some gullable people actually believed that crap about the packers having no proven WR's and that Moss would have been good for the Packers. It was really sickening to see people who said they were Packer fans actually say that stuff.

I guess there are still people that hate Ted Thompson. I mean as little he wants to part with a draft pick giving up a 6th rounder for the unknown street free agent Grant some foolish fans want only the guys the media talks about and don't trust Ted's judgement.

As to Bus Cook opening his trap and flapping the old soup coolers, he gets 3% of what Brett gets paid. Brett has been paid over 10 million a year for quite a while. That's over $300,000 a year to Bus Cook.

...and that Moss would have been good for the Packers. It was really sickening to see people who said they were Packer fans actually say that stuff. CaliforniaCheez

Such frigging arrogance.

Randy Moss is 'an awesome' WR. Miss last season? :D

Patler
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree with you Patler but you and I and noone else is Brett Favre. I will support his final decision. Last I understood he's still under contract to 'the Packers' and Aaron Rodgers mouth may have indeed fired him up.

What was Aaron Rodgers thinking because he was careless with his choice of words and imagine just for a moment Patler...

If I was Brett Favre and had decided to retire for MY reasons, I could not care less about what any other person, including Aaron Rodgers had to say about it.

Favre spent his professional life around trash-talking egomaniac individuals. I doubt a comment like that from Rodgers would bother him.

Patler
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Oops!

Tarlam!
07-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I liked this thread better the first time we discussed it:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12991

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM

If I was Brett Favre and had decided to retire for MY reasons, I could not care less about what any other person, including Aaron Rodgers had to say about it.

Favre spent his professional life around trash-talking egomaniac individuals. I doubt a comment like that from Rodgers would bother him.

If Brett Favre saw that interview I speculate otherwise. AR's words were sadly uncalled for. ** So here we go. :)

** Are you really surprized Patler?

CaliforniaCheez
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
...and that Moss would have been good for the Packers. It was really sickening to see people who said they were Packer fans actually say that stuff. CaliforniaCheez

Such frigging arrogance.

You obviously didn't see him pretend with the Raiders!!

"Randy only plays when he wants to play." When he does it is only a sideline jump ball situation. I'd bet less than 10% of his receptions have been between the numbers on the field. He's really quite useless.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Such frigging arrogance.

"Randy only plays when he wants to play." When he does it is only a sideline jump ball situation. I'd bet less than 10% of his receptions have been between the numbers on the field. He's really quite useless.

hahahahahahaa. :D Way too much prejudice there.

Ohh some help. Randy Moss wasn't with a team like 'the Raiders' last season with no quality at QB. You couldn't picture Favre to Moss... TD! ... over and over and over ....again?

NO! Your prejudice clouds that simple picture.

With Moss and all else in. We go to and win the Super Bowl.

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 11:28 AM

I hear your point Patler...but Favre was hardly stumbling around under routine flyballs last year, and to think he would start doing so all of a sudden in 2008 is a real stretch.

Favre still has the capacity to play at an All Pro level, so the comparison to Mays really isn't valid at this point.

Charles Woodson
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Such frigging arrogance.

Useless? please consider using another word, because i believe ANY team could use an extra 23 TD's. If moss had come to GB, he would have played because we were winning. Moss hates to lose.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 6-10 record may be generously optimistic Mr. Crusty merely based on Ted Thompson's off season to date. We're definitely in it Vs. Detroit and Minny (say three wins there) and toss in a win Vs. Oakland. That's just four.

Ted Thompson has to hit it on at least 2 picks next weekend; and we need an experienced playmaker brought in and come through for us on the 'O', to realistically hope for a successful season.

Edit 2 July. 2008... that could have been Randy Moss. Now considered ( again ) a top WR in the NFL.

What does this ultimately seem now to add up to? Yes unfortunately.
all signs indicate that this may well be Brett Favre's final season.
What of his desire to compete and win and simply play football?

A contrary route. or to play 'the Devil'.

Brett Favre decides to shove it in Ted Thompson's face having signed to play for the Packers through 2011. He's convinced by his agent that certain teams would love to have him. Compete with them in a system ready to win.

Favre asks for a trade to give him one more real shot at a ring.

As they say: '' It's not over - till it's over ''.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
LOL

Nothing like a good grassy knoll story from Woody to liven up the summer.

Patler
07-02-2008, 12:01 PM

I hear your point Patler...but Favre was hardly stumbling around under routine flyballs last year, and to think he would start doing so all of a sudden in 2008 is a real stretch.

Favre still has the capacity to play at an All Pro level, so the comparison to Mays really isn't valid at this point.

That was my point exactly. Favre had not reached that point. Do you want him to stay until he does? He retired; leave it at that. He might be just as good this year as last; but he might not. Things can change over an off season, and can happen quickly when you are as old as Favre is.

He has had a career that lasted longer than all but a few non-kickers, yet people don't seem to think he has had enough for some reason.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 12:05 PM

That was my point exactly. Favre had not reached that point. Do you want him to stay until he does? He retired; leave it at that. He might be just as good this year as last; but he might not. Things can change over an off season, and can happen quickly when you are as old as Favre is.

He has had a career that lasted longer than all but a few non-kickers, yet people don't seem to think he has had enough for some reason.

I think Favre had an easier time retiring than a lot of people are having letting go of his playing days.

I for one am not going to miss any of the the annual "will he, or won't he" retirement hand wringing.

Patler
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I think Favre had an easier time retiring than a lot of people are having letting go of his playing days.

I think Favre struggled with letting go of a stage in his life more than with the fact that he will not be playing. He identifies himself by football, and he loses that identity a little when he retires.

Yes, he played well last season. Yes he is a competitive guy. Yes he celebrated successes on the field at the time with his team mates.

BUT, through out the season, in his interviews, it seemed to bring him little joy. He was often quite somber after wins. Winning, being good wasn't enough, it wasn't taken for granted, but it had become somewhat routine. He wasn't taking joy out of the season. He should have felt better during the season than he did. Yes, he should have wanted more, the Super Bowl, but he should have taken joy out of the journey, too. In a lot of ways it was a remarkable season for the team and for him personally.

He really did not get the joy during the season that he should have, and both he and his wife admitted as much when he retired.

If his family and friends are responsible for the rumors, they are being unkind and disrespectful to the man who gave them an awful lot. They should be supporting him in his decision, not questioning it or trying to make it go away.

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
That was my point exactly. Favre had not reached that point. Do you want him to stay until he does?

Ryan Grant hasn't reached that point either...should we pile on the "Retire Now Ryan" bandwagon?

The point is that Favre wasn't anywhere close to being physically unable to play at a high level. Claiming that fans wishing for one more year of Favre with a well stocked roster are threatening everyone with watching Favre being physically unable to cut it is a real stretch.

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM

I'm guessing retiring in March is relatively easy...things will start getting much harder for Favre in the weeks ahead.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

I'm guessing retiring in March is relatively easy...things will start getting much harder for Favre in the weeks ahead.

My comment wasn't meant to mean that it was easy for Brett. Far from it. But it appears to have been even harder for some fans to let go than even for Brett.

Patler
07-02-2008, 12:35 PM
That was my point exactly. Favre had not reached that point. Do you want him to stay until he does?

Ryan Grant hasn't reached that point either...should we pile on the "Retire Now Ryan" bandwagon?

The point is that Favre wasn't anywhere close to being physically unable to play at a high level. Claiming that fans wishing for one more year of Favre with a well stocked roster are threatening everyone with watching Favre being physically unable to cut it is a real stretch.

You are ignoring the fact that he said he doesn't want to play? How well would he perform without total mental commitment to it? I think physically he was closer to the end than many are willing to accept. He does not have even close to the arm he had when he was a younger player, not that it was substandard, but he had to become a different player. I think he was so good last year because of his dedication to preparing each week. He doesn't want to do that.

Favre played a lifetime, a full career, longer than all but a few. Grant has played one season. Your comparison is not valid.

He asid he doesn't want to play, and sounded awful sincere doing it. His wife said they had enough. Why can't fans accept that?

Patler
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Its not a "Retire Now Brett" bandwagon either. It's not about encouraging Favre or any player to retire. Its accepting his retirement when he tells the fans that he has decided to retire. That is what fans are not accepting. It seems like his agent and some of his family aren't either.

taylor 31
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Aaron Rodgers hit the nail right square on the head!Time to move on!

packers11
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM

EVERYONE CAN MOVE ON once he takes the first snap of the 2008-2009 season...

There is always that 1% chance that every fan has in the back of their had... What if... What if Favre decides to come back...

Chester Marcol
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM

EVERYONE CAN MOVE ON once he takes the first snap of the 2008-2009 season...

There is always that 1% chance that every fan has in the back of their had... What if... What if Favre decides to come back...

What if Favre decided he wanted to come back halfway/all the way through training camp? In this hypathetical there is never a word of intention spoken to the Packers. Just one day in mid/late August Favre declares he's coming back. How big of a prick would he come off as to let the Packers go throught training camp preparing with Rodgers as the starter and then announcing he wants to come back?

I say once training camp is in full swing there is no chance the Packers can let Favre come back. I think we are already past that point. We don't need that turmoil. Even if he declares he wants to come back and ends up playing for another team would cause issues for the Packers. There would be questions at every press conference.

Bottom line is, it'll be a bum deal for the Packers if Favre comes back to any NFL team.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
LOL

Nothing like a good grassy knoll story from Woody to liven up the summer.

What's with that foolish comment SC?

It's not my story nor thread. Poor reading skills? :)

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM

My comment wasn't meant to mean that it was easy for Brett. Far from it. But it appears to have been even harder for some fans to let go than even for Brett.

Read the story instead of applying your twist Scott. This will be all about Brett Favre's decision as to whether or not he wants to retire.

If fans loyal to Favre help boost his decision to 'in fact' play in 2008 or not is mere speculation. The man demonstrated overwhelmingly last season, even before we established any sense of a running game that we could win football games.The man loves to play the game.The man knows how to win.The man is the best talent we still have under contract.

It's not going to be easy on TT, but now he may have to act with integrity and deal forthrightly with 'a Packer Legend'.

Should it go away gently? We're talking 'the Green Bay Packers' and it's reputation as an organization Vs a mans skills and rights under contract to play.

Simple. If Favre wants to play and TT doesn't want him.Trade him

People lke you here do all you can to undermine the facts. You may take comfort SC as there are many here that have soured on the best thing we've seen in 38 year's as Packer fans. Be very proud of yourself Scott.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
So now I've soured on Brett, and am conspiring to turn his fans against him?

ROFL

You're still nutty as a fruitcake.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 05:47 PM
So now I've soured on Brett, and am conspiring to turn his fans against him?

ROFL

You're still nutty as a fruitcake.

Where's 'your balls'? You SC 'of forked tongue'. Can't be. :D

sheepshead
07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I cried with him in March at his presser. I called my brother and said "no way he's quitting this game". I based it on his face and his body language after watching him for so long. I believe the buzz for sure. Where he ends up is anyone's guess, but I would say the desire to play is still there.

sheepshead
07-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Dear Brett,

Thanks for bringing back my erectile dysfunction.

Signed,

Aaron Rodgers

Packers4Ever
07-02-2008, 06:19 PM

I agree, I think ol' Bus just can't stand parting with the paycheck he's been receiving for 16 years now, since Brett started at GB. He 'knows' Brett as well as anyone and could be pushing the button to move things along. :?

bobblehead
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
nobody finds it strange that these "rumors" start swirling after all the offseason work is over? Shortly before training camp. He got to sit at home, not think or worry about football, now that it is time for TC the rumors swirl.

I don't buy that bus cook is doing anything BF isn't behind. And if BF needs rogers to get him motivated, that is pretty sad. At this point I hope he simply stays retired, its too late to change his mind without disrupting the team. If he wants to play, I hope TT can get something for him and send him to a nice warm climate with a soft coach that lets him show up on sunday and play.

It is simply too late to pull the rug out from under arod at this point, and if I were coach/gm, I wouldn't allow him back at this point.

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
It is simply too late to pull the rug out from under arod at this point, and if I were coach/gm, I wouldn't allow him back at this point.

I don't think him playing in GB is even an issue.