PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill won't die... Part 2... UH OH...

packers11
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Former NFL personnel man Mike Lombardi writes in his blog that one Packers player told him Brett Favre is giving "real consideration" to making a return.

Lombardi, a 20-year veteran executive, recently worked in the Raiders' and Broncos' front offices, writes for SI.com and started a blog a few months back. He doesn't have the same standards as bigger news sources, but undoubtedly has connections. The Packer told Lombardi that Favre would consider returning with another team if Green Bay won't take him back. Favre was recently placed on the reserve/retired list, however, and the Packers own his rights.

Source: Lombardi on Football Blog

mission
07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
wtf...

if he tries something like this, im sorry, but that whole drama queen, etc, etc...

i dunno... if the shoe fits ??

Pacopete4
07-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I hope if it is true that he wants to play, then just come out and say it.. and tell the Packers he wants a shot at a ring and he'l be at mini camp

SMACKTALKIE
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
This type of reaction to a great player's retirement is to be expected. When Barry Sanders retired people were speculating about his return for 2 to 3 years.

I'm sure this sucks for Packer fans, but as long as Favre is still standing he'll be the object of return rumors.

digitaldean
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

To be honest, I wish this would just go away.....

I love Brett, but this is getting to be more than a little too much. I wouldn't mind having him back, but in the long run, that would set back the team a couple seasons at least.

BallHawk
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Ugh. Everybody knew this was coming. The story from ESPN makes it seem more like a reality than the OP's post.

I'd love to see Brett play again, I really would, but this has become Aaron's team. You can't just strip him of the starter role and say "another year on the bench for you."

If Favre comes back the only way it would work is.

1. Aaron is traded to a team where he WILL start.

2. Favre commits for at least 2 years.

3. Brohm is groomed as his successor.

Only way it works, IMO.

Brando19
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Ugh. Everybody knew this was coming. The story from ESPN makes it seem more like a reality than the OP's post.

I'd love to see Brett play again, I really would, but this has become Aaron's team. You can't just strip him of the starter role and say "another year on the bench for you."

If Favre comes back the only way it would work is.

1. Aaron is traded to a team where he WILL start.

2. Favre commits for at least 2 years.

3. Brohm is groomed as his successor.

Only way it works, IMO.

Honestly, I like this. Trade ARod if Favre commits for 2 years and groom Brohm. Otherwise, I can't stomach the thought of Favre in another uniform.

Pacopete4
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I dont understand the problem? Arod has had the same responsibilities for the Packers every year being the #1 guy in OTA's and now that he's had a few guys at his house, its his team? How in the world does that make sense... you bring back that legend and u ride his coat tails to a SB ring... there are only so many of them you get and we've been blessed to have 2 of them with Favre and Starr

packers11
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
MORT: FAVRE CONTEMPLATING COMEBACK
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 2, 2008, 4:16 p.m.
ESPN opened NFL Live this afternoon with a blockbuster: Brett Favre is considering a comeback with the Packers.

According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, Favre has made some preliminary contact with the team, including head coach Mike McCarthy, to discuss a possible return.

PFT has previously reported that Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, is pushing him to play in 2008, and that Cook is quietly telling league insiders that Favre isn’t 100 percent retired.

The last time reports surfaced of Favre contemplating a return, Favre issued an emphatic denial, calling returning to football “The last thing I’m thinking about.” It will be interesting to see whether Favre makes a similar statement this time.

As Trey Wingo noted during NFL Live, ESPN is already planning to make the first Monday Night Football of the year, all Favre, all the time. They just didn’t think there was any chance that Favre would be in uniform.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I dont understand the problem? Arod has had the same responsibilities for the Packers every year being the #1 guy in OTA's and now that he's had a few guys at his house, its his team? How in the world does that make sense... you bring back that legend and u ride his coat tails to a SB ring... there are only so many of them you get and we've been blessed to have 2 of them with Favre and Starr

Yup.

Go with 'the known' or 'the unknown'? A lot of '7's' in that post; but I see # 4 again. Haahoo! :D

Just joking 'of course', for could it be that good?

BallHawk
07-02-2008, 03:47 PM
If Brett Favre is indeed interested in playing again for the Packers, should the team welcome him back?

Yes (62.2%)
No (37.8%)

Total votes: 2,376

This story has already taken the front page at JSO.

Here we go. :roll:

Rastak
07-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I wonder if they let him come to camp and then have an open competition and if Arod wins the job, he gets it. Would Favre throw a shit fit if it went down that way?

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I wonder if they let him come to camp and then have an open competition and if Arod wins the job, he gets it. Would Favre throw a shit fit if it went down that way?

haha Just checked my horoscope:

Capricorn

You've got to deal with whatever is happening in front of you today -- there's no easy way to slack off! That's not your style, anyway, so get ready for a wild ride that ends in peace for all. :D

BallHawk
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM

Probably. Favre isn't coming back to be a back-up. He wants the royal treatment and I assume he sees that as being given the starter job back.

I just pray this doesn't turn into a shouting match between the Pack and Brett if this doesn't go the way he wants (returning as the starter)

BallHawk
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, Favre has made some preliminary contact with the team, including head coach Mike McCarthy, to discuss a possible return.

This is what makes this for real. If he has indeed initiated contact with the team I assume this is for real and not some media created shitstorm.

Somebody's going to end up pissed and it's either going to be Favre or Aaron.

Who would we rather piss off?

Rastak
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Probably. Favre isn't coming back to be a back-up. He wants the royal treatment and I assume he sees that as being given the starter job back.

I just pray this doesn't turn into a shouting match between the Pack and Brett if this doesn't go the way he wants (returning as the starter)

If McCarthy told him it was an open competition maybe he'd just decline the invitation and stay retired? Who knows, this will be really interesting to watch for packer and non-packer fans alike I have a feeling.

Pacopete4
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM

to be honest that would make me so happy for one reason.. he'd whip the snot outta Rodgers in every category and that shut people up with this crap that the Packers would be a better team without Favre... absolutely insane

packers11
07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Brett Favre has told coach Mike McCarthy that he has thought about playing this year.

Had to know this day was coming. The comeback talk is reportedly only in preliminary stages, but Favre's family is encouraging him to play. Cornerback Al Harris says Favre told him he still "has the itch" to play. This situation could turn thorny. The Packers own Favre's rights, but we'd guess that the front office would simply rather move forward with Aaron Rodgers. The coaching staff may lean more towards Favre. Favre could subsequently push for his release, something Mort mentions. "Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far," a team source said. "He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]."
Source: ESPN.com

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 04:02 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Brett Favre has told coach Mike McCarthy that he has thought about playing this year.

Had to know this day was coming. The comeback talk is reportedly only in preliminary stages, but Favre's family is encouraging him to play. Cornerback Al Harris says Favre told him he still "has the itch" to play. This situation could turn thorny. The Packers own Favre's rights, but we'd guess that the front office would simply rather move forward with Aaron Rodgers. The coaching staff may lean more towards Favre. Favre could subsequently push for his release, something Mort mentions. "Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far," a team source said. "He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]."

"Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far," a team source said. "He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]."

NO.. high quality or not. Here comes 'the showdown'.

Thanks Aaron Rodgers. :D

packers11
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
would the team really say no??? he hasn't technically missed anything important yet... A-rod can wait another year if Favre wants to stay... I'd rather go with the proven veteran at the moment while the window of opportunity for a Superbowl is at its highest point that it has been in awhile...

gex
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
:D WOOHOO, Please Brett come back for another year(or 2 or 3) That would be awesome, the PACKERS would totally be the favorite to win the NFC. Don't worry what so called fans think or what poor Aaron wants(whats he ever done anyway) if you want to come back we want you. Your the best QB ever!!!!!!!!!! :D

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
......to be honest that would make me so happy for one reason.. he'd whip the snot outta Rodgers in every category ............

Mobility?

DonHutson
07-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Favre could subsequently push for his release, something Mort mentions. "Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far," a team source said. "He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]."

There's another option there. If the Packers have moved on, and if Favre won't be happy until he tries on that Washington Wizards jersey, then let him. Activate him and trade him.

If the Packers want him back, that's fine too. Then get Jason Taylor's ass in here and make a real run at it.

Either way, it's stupid to just release him.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Moving to another team isn't as simple as it sounds. How many NFL contenders are looking for a 38 year old rent-a-QB for just a year or two?

packers11
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Moving to another team isn't as simple as it sounds. How many NFL contenders are looking for a 38 year old rent-a-QB for just a year or two?

Oakland???
Redskins???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Who is starting in Tampa this year?

DonHutson
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM

One who wants to put some asses in the seats. One that thinks it's a QB away from being competitive.

There was always another job waiting for guys like Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, etc. long after they peaked. Favre's coming off a great year. Someone would bite.

There's two teams in our division that would love to have him, but they won't be part of the discussion.

DonHutson
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Bills?
Jets?
Texans?
Ravens?
Panthers?
Cardinals?
Rams?

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Someone would bite.

Of that I have no doubt. But Brett's not coming out of retirement to go play for just any old sucky team.

Rastak
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
You have to admit, he's spicing up the slowest time of the NFL calander!

DonHutson
07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Someone would bite.

Of that I have no doubt. But Brett's not coming out of retirement to go play for just any old sucky team.

Then I guess he should've just kept the job he had.

If it's true that he already talked to the Packers and they told him no, and if he doesn't want to play elsewhere - then what is he trying to gain? I only brought this up based on the premise that he is angling to get released.

packers11
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM

doesn't he every year... :lol:

fkin favre...

I bet once he finally retires people will be bored out of their mind...

"What do we talk about this off-season"

Someone will have to take over his reign... I think L.T. is on course, he had some retirement comments a couple weeks ago... :lol:

BallHawk
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM

And making the the folks at ESPN look like fools. All those Favre tributes, programming, and of course "Favre-Fest" on MNF this upcoming season.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Think of all those wasted freight charges on his locker.

packers11
07-02-2008, 04:54 PM

And making the the folks at ESPN look like fools. All those Favre tributes, programming, and of course "Favre-Fest" on MNF this upcoming season.

oh god that would be pretty funny though... All those people in GB for that monday night game (ESPNS CREW), but Favre is under center...

haha ironic... it looks like it might back fire on espn

Rastak
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Oh yea, they probably barfed when they heard this. I didn't think of that angle. Maybe they'll pull a Tonya Harding......run out and bash his knee with a pipe at the start of training camp.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I think the ESPN crew would be just as happy to be there for his first game coming out of retirement.

DonHutson
07-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Oh yea, they probably barfed when they heard this. I didn't think of that angle. Maybe they'll pull a Tonya Harding......run out and bash his knee with a pipe at the start of training camp.

Are you kidding? They're probably creaming themselves already. It's like having exclusive rights to broadcast the Resurrection.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 05:05 PM
would the team really say no??? he hasn't technically missed anything important yet... A-rod can wait another year if Favre wants to stay... I'd rather go with the proven veteran at the moment while the window of opportunity for a Superbowl is at its highest point that it has been in awhile...

Favre's back. :D

Thanks Aaron.

DonHutson
07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Think of all those wasted freight charges on his locker.

UPS just found their new pitchman, give #4 a brown maker and a whiteboard.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 05:27 PM

That 38 year old rent-a-QB was the BEST offensive player in the NFC in 2007.

Your drooling Scott. :shock:

green_bowl_packer
07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Someone would bite.

If it's true that he already talked to the Packers and they told him no, and if he doesn't want to play elsewhere - then what is he trying to gain? I only brought this up based on the premise that he is angling to get released.

This is exactly how it played out last time this topic came up. Cook/Favre play good cop/bad cop, where Cook stirs up the shit and then a day or two later Brett comes around after Cook takes all the heat.

They will play this where the Packers organization is painted into the corner as the bad guy if he wants to play for the Pack. They can't not take him back if he unretires (can they?) as they have his rights until 2011(?), without activating him and trading/cutting him. They may have told him no privately, but what's to stop Brett from having a press conference of his own to announce his return to the NFL/Packers squarely putting the ball in the Packers court (of public opinion). Many said that Favre was crazy to retire after the year he had last year, wouldn't the Packers be as crazy; to not have him back?

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Someone would bite.

This is exactly how it played out last time this topic came up. Cook/Favre play good cop/bad cop, where Cook stirs up the shit and then a day or two later Brett comes around after Cook takes all the heat.

They will play this where the Packers organization is painted into the corner as the bad guy if he wants to play for the Pack. They can't not take him back if he unretires (can they?) as they have his rights until 2011(?), without activating him and trading/cutting him. They may have told him no privately, but what's to stop Brett from having a press conference of his own to announce his return to the NFL/Packers squarely putting the ball in the Packers court (of public opinion). Many said that Favre was crazy to retire after the year he had last year, wouldn't the Packers be as crazy; to not have him back?

Brett's smoking Ted Thompson out.

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2008, 05:31 PM
he's not gonna find a spot with G.B., they've moved on. But this is only good news, FAvre had a good season in 07, he has trade value.

packers11
07-02-2008, 05:34 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Citing a league source, the Wisconsin State Journal reports that Brett Favre requested his release from the Packers "within the past few weeks."

Either Favre or his agent, Bus Cook, reportedly contacted the Packers to inform them of his intent to play again. When the Packers said they've moved on, Favre demanded to be released. The Packers said no. GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are currently on vacation and unavailable for comment. The Packers hold all the power here and if they continue to exercise it, the situation could get ugly for everyone. That is, if Favre doesn't change his mind again.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal

green_bowl_packer
07-02-2008, 05:45 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Citing a league source, the Wisconsin State Journal reports that Brett Favre requested his release from the Packers "within the past few weeks."

Either Favre or his agent, Bus Cook, reportedly contacted the Packers to inform them of his intent to play again. When the Packers said they've moved on, Favre demanded to be released. The Packers said no. GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are currently on vacation and unavailable for comment. The Packers hold all the power here and if they continue to exercise it, the situation could get ugly for everyone. That is, if Favre doesn't change his mind again.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal

Now it's activate and trade or ugly, no other alternatives. And now that he's pissed he would go Vikings/Bears/NFC if he was cut and Ted won't let that happen in a million years.

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
When the Packers said they've moved on, Favre demanded to be released. The Packers said no.

this sounds fishy. Favre has been around the league, he knows the PAckers aren't going to release him for nothing. He isn't going to make demands. I really doubt he is angry. And if Favre wants to play, a win-win deal will be worked out to trade him.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
he's not gonna find a spot with G.B., they've moved on. But this is only good news, FAvre had a good season in 07, he has trade value.

I can't see Favre back with us after the way all last off and season went.

He just came 'out of the woods' after Aaron in Rome. Translation... he's pissed off. :D I saw this coming.

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
The Packers hold all the power here and if they continue to exercise it,

I don't see how the Packers hold all the power. If they are adamant about moving on, then Favre indeed has power...because Green Bay either has to activate him or get rid of him. Getting rid of him means finding a trade partner (unlikely...only contending teams would want him, and why the fuck would Thompson trade Favre to a contender?) or cutting him (can you say yet another Packer retread signed by the Vikings?).

Yeah...I sure see how the Packers hold ALL the power. :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
He just came 'out of the woods' after Aaron in Rome. Translation... he's pissed off. :D I saw this coming.

Nah, if Favre decided to play some more, that had nothing to do with any of these politics.

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Getting rid of him means finding a trade partner (unlikely...only contending teams would want him,

You think QBs as good as Favre are easy to find!?

I take your point about not wanting to trade him to a contender, but there are a lot of teams that fancy themselves contenders. The odds of facing GB in the playoffs are not high. And, psssst, Favre's record in the playoffs ain't all THAT awesome.

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Ultimately, I think Favre will remain retired. The Packers don't want him now...and Favre won't want to go to a new team and have to start from square one. If Green Bay doesn't want him, Favre will probably spend the better part of the next 6 months kicking his tractor.

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Favre won't want to go to a new team and have to start from square one.

nonsense. he will fit right into many teams. he has a bit of experience.

RashanGary
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm not suprised. I think we saw this coming. Favre is a true Diva.

The Shadow
07-02-2008, 06:20 PM
If the Pack could trade his rights for a decent draft choice, I would welcome his return.

RashanGary
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't think they'll be able to. Favre's salary is too high for them to bluff teams that they're keeping him and Favre will just retire if the wrong team wins his rights. There will be a handfull of teams that Favre is willing to play for which will bring the market value way down (and that's before you consider he's just a one year rental at a very high salary).

If he gets released I think Minnesota would be the most logical team to strongly pursue him and I think they'd easily give him 15 mil for one year considering he knows the WCO like the back of his hand and they might be a QB away.

As far as the trade goes, I think a lot of moons have to align for this thing to happen. The Packers are not in a win/win situation here.

Bretsky
07-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey cool; I'd like to see him play again for a GM that wants him.
They'll get a draft pick from somebody.

Adds news to another dang boring offseason. In hearing the news, I decided to go buy what has been my favorite Favre jersey I've ever seen.

Here is a pic from EBAY; anybody like it ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brett-Favre-Packers-2004-Pro-Bowl-Jersey-Reebok-54-XXL_W0QQitemZ160254781165QQihZ006QQcategoryZ24957Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

GBRulz
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
If he gets released I think Minnesota would be the most logical team to strongly pursue him and I think they'd easily give him 15 mil for one year considering he knows the WCO like the back of his hand and they might be a QB away.

The thought of him in purple makes me want to throw up in my mouth just a little.

MJZiggy
07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
The thought of him in purple makes me want to throw up, period.

Bretsky
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM

The thought of him in purple makes me want to throw up in my mouth just a little.

At least then Sharper might finally catch a few of his balls :lol:

And Rastak would end up being his greatest fan

GBRulz
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Rastak would be wearing this at the games....

http://edenprairieweblogs.org/html/MikeBarone%20003.jpg

The Leaper
07-02-2008, 08:57 PM

I'm not talking about experience. If he goes to a different offense with different players and different terminology, he is going to have to work twice as hard as he would in Green Bay to get up to speed. That means more practice...more meetings...more film study...exactly the kind of stuff Favre doesn't want to do anymore.

That's why he wouldn't play anywhere else. It is Green Bay or bust IMO.

BallHawk
07-02-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm not talking about experience. If he goes to a different offense with different players around him, he is going to have to work twice as hard as he would in Green Bay to get up to speed. That means more practice...more meetings...more film study...exactly the kind of stuff Favre doesn't want to do anymore.

Agreed. Going to a new team would go against what he retired for.

vince
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Favre reportedly asked for his release so he could negotiate to play for another team. The man wants to play. Yeah, he wants to play for a "contender," but he's learned time and again over the years that funny things happen in this league. The teams the "experts" think suck often don't, and the teams the "experts" think are contenders don't always contend.

It's the itch to play - the thrill of competition at the highest level - that he misses. He could get what he seeks with a lot of teams in this league, IMO.

woodbuck27
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM

I'm not talking about experience. If he goes to a different offense with different players and different terminology, he is going to have to work twice as hard as he would in Green Bay to get up to speed. That means more practice...more meetings...more film study...exactly the kind of stuff Favre doesn't want to do anymore.

YES.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
If he goes to a different offense with different players and different terminology, he is going to have to work twice as hard as he would in Green Bay to get up to speed.

Would any such transition be noticeably more difficult than the recent transition from Shermhead to McCarthy?

MJZiggy
07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
He had a bitch of a time with that transition--the language killed him--he couldn't get used to it.

bobblehead
07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Lets end all the nonsense.

He is not playing anywhere in the entire NFC. We bring him back to be a backup before that happens, I garauntee it.

He ain't going anywhere that doesn't run west coast as there is no time to learn a new system and he definately doesn't want to put that much time in.

He is not rumbling do to arod talking smack, and if he is I really don't want him back. Guys that need to feel dissed to get motivated aren't my idea of people I want on my team.

My guess is this drama drags on until he finally realizes he actually isn't smarter than TT and he can't manipulate the worshippers enough to make TT do it bretts way and he finally gives it up about a week into training camp.

Bretsky
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM

He is not playing anywhere in the entire NFC. We bring him back to be a backup before that happens, I garauntee it.

He ain't going anywhere that doesn't run west coast as there is no time to learn a new system and he definately doesn't want to put that much time in.

He is not rumbling do to arod talking smack, and if he is I really don't want him back. Guys that need to feel dissed to get motivated aren't my idea of people I want on my team.

My guess is this drama drags on until he finally realizes he actually isn't smarter than TT and he can't manipulate the worshippers enough to make TT do it bretts way and he finally gives it up about a week into training camp.

It's a lot of speculation....whether it's accurate or not. Favre will not be a backup to AROD because he's better now; if he comes back he'll earn that spot as a starter.

Scott Campbell
07-02-2008, 11:42 PM

Remember how much crap Ted took for letting the Vikings grab Booty? There's no way he lets them get their mitts on Brett.

bobblehead
07-03-2008, 01:09 AM

It's a lot of speculation....whether it's accurate or not. Favre will not be a backup to AROD because he's better now; if he comes back he'll earn that spot as a starter.

You mean this isn't ALL just speculation??

I said we will bring him back to be a back up before they let him play in the NFC against us...we have his rights, we can do that for 12 million.

I wouldn't bet on MM giving him the starting gig back and pissing off his QB of the future just cuz you guys all love him so much. MM has to live with arod for several years as his guy and if he thinks he is ready he won't give BF the job just cuz BF comes waltzing back in.

VegasPackFan
07-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Bret Favre as a backup.

Riiiiiiight.......

The Leaper
07-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Would any such transition be noticeably more difficult than the recent transition from Shermhead to McCarthy?

Of course it would...when Sherman left, he didn't take all of the receivers, backs and blockers along with him.

Going to a new team means that Favre would have to get acclimated to an entirely new roster on top of a new system and terminology. That isn't a picnic at the park.

vince
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Ultimately, I think Favre will remain retired. The Packers don't want him now...and Favre won't want to go to a new team and have to start from square one. If Green Bay doesn't want him, Favre will probably spend the better part of the next 6 months kicking his tractor.
Leap, are you saying that you don't believe these reports...?

REPORT: FAVRE ASKED FOR RELEASE
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 2, 2008, 7:57 p.m.
This whole Brett Favre comeback story keeps getting more interesting.

Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal is reporting that Favre (possibly with his agent, Bus Cook, acting as an intermediary) contacted the Packers within the past few weeks about returning, and that the conversation ended in Favre asking the club for his release. The Packers refused.

As we’ve previously noted, if Favre does decide he wants to play again, his options are to play for the Packers, or not to play at all — unless he can convince the team to trade or release him.

If the State Journal’s report that Favre contacted the team about returning is correct, the Packers may have told Favre that they’re ready to move on, begin the Aaron Rodgers era, and save the $10 million-plus Favre is owed this year on his current contract. That’s where a request from Favre that the team release him would come from.

The Packers placed Favre on the reserve/retired list on April 25, but Favre can request that the team activate him from the list, in which case the team would either need to put him on the active roster, trade him, or cut him.

The Leaper
07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Leap, are you saying that you don't believe these reports...?

I believe Bus Cook was the one asking about a release. As an agent, I would probably ask that question as well...if I knew my guy had the itch and the Packers seemed set against allowing my guy back.

It also could've just been a heat of the moment thing too, I suppose.

I just can't see Favre wanting to come back just to play with a bunch of guys he doesn't know in a system he doesn't know. He wants to come back to Green Bay...and the release talk is a way to press the Packers to allow him to return.

I'm sure Favre has the itch...but Green Bay doesn't want him back. Ultimately, Favre will realize coming back won't be pleasant if he has to force his way in and will stay retired.

vince
07-03-2008, 09:58 AM
OK thanks. Valid speculation, although I think he would play for another team - if the circumstances are acceptable to him... Namely, if the team has, in his mind, a legitimate shot to make a push into the playoffs. Then anything can happen, and things are so unpredictable.

Before last year, I think Favre may have had more beliefs in line with what you say, as he publicly made comments about how long it takes to gain chemistry, etc. but things came together quickly for this team last year, and he may now believe that, with that experience, he still has the ability to make it happen quickly again.

Sure it will be difficult road learing a new system, etc., but he may be willing to do that again as well, with his family's support for the time and effort needed...

He's hanging on to his last opportunities to live his life's purpose in his mind. The mind has incredible power to overcome adversity.

He may stay retired. If he does, its because he can't get the right situation lined up for himself.

BallHawk
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Bus Cook is slowly creeping ahead of Rosenhaus for "most hated agent."

Guy seems nothing but a shit-stirrer.

GoPackGo
07-03-2008, 10:25 AM
The Packers management's job is to put the best team on the field that they can. Despite his playoff performances in the last decade, Brett Favre gives the Pack the best chance to win. The Packers need to go public and say they would love to have Brett back if he decides to unretire. The ball would then be in Brett's court and and he can go public with his decision and end the drama.

sheepshead
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM

He's starting to remind me of "The Colonel" , Elivis' guy.

bobblehead
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM

He isn't doing anything brett is against. Brett may not be telling him exactly what to do, but he ain't exactly saying shut up either.

The Leaper
07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
The Packers management's job is to put the best team on the field that they can. Despite his playoff performances in the last decade, Brett Favre gives the Pack the best chance to win.

I agree 100%. If Favre wants to return, and Thompson flatly refuses to talk to him about it, Thompson is a dumbass.

If Thompson feels there are certain things that he wants Favre to accept...perhaps taking some games off to keep him fresh at year end and acceptance that this is about the team, not Favre or records...fine. Bring it up and discuss it.

To close your eyes and say "You've made up your mind...we are going another way" is ignorant and smacks of the dumbass.

Pacopete4
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
The Packers management's job is to put the best team on the field that they can. Despite his playoff performances in the last decade, Brett Favre gives the Pack the best chance to win.

I agree 100%. If Favre wants to return, and Thompson flatly refuses to talk to him about it, Thompson is a dumbass.

Agree.. the idea is to win football games now, not years from now. Yes, you plan for the future but this team is now, right now.. and if we don't do whats best for this very talented team, then TT is a huge dumbass that is to arrogant

Scott Campbell
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM

Of course it would...when Sherman left, he didn't take all of the receivers, backs and blockers along with him.

Going to a new team means that Favre would have to get acclimated to an entirely new roster on top of a new system and terminology. That isn't a picnic at the park.

Good points - I'll buy that.

MJZiggy
07-03-2008, 01:30 PM

Agree.. the idea is to win football games now, not years from now. Yes, you plan for the future but this team is now, right now.. and if we don't do whats best for this very talented team, then TT is a huge dumbass that is to arrogant

Wrong. The idea is to win football games now AND years from now. If we go to the SB and fuck up the whole team in the process and lose for the following 6 years you'll still be calling for M3 and TT's heads.

Partial
07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Scott Wells seemed all for him being back.

Zool
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Scott Wells seemed all for him being back.

Maybe Aaron is a little rough around Scott's nether region?

The Leaper
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Wrong. The idea is to win football games now AND years from now. If we go to the SB and fuck up the whole team in the process and lose for the following 6 years you'll still be calling for M3 and TT's heads.

That fine Zig.

I'm just wonder how welcoming Favre back for 2008 or going to the Super Bowl is going to fuck the whole team up for 2009 and beyond?

Zool
07-03-2008, 01:46 PM

That fine Zig.

I'm just wonder how welcoming Favre back for 2008 is going to fuck the whole team up for 2009?

Scenario 1) Rodgers throws a hissy and gets dealt to another team. He becomes a good QB and takes the new team to the playoffs yearly. Brian Brohm sucks eggs and goes the way of Randy Wright.

Scenario 2) Rodgers' confidence is destroyed and never comes back. Brian Brohm sucks eggs and goes the way of Randy Wright.

Scenario 3) Favre coming back divides the locker room and the team is torn apart from within.

I'm not saying I agree with any of it or even think that its likely, but its possible.

Why didn't he say he was coming back in March then say he changed his mind if he didn't want to play now? Wouldn't that have been a much better scenario than anything going on right now?

Chester Marcol
07-03-2008, 02:19 PM

That fine Zig.

I'm just wonder how welcoming Favre back for 2008 is going to fuck the whole team up for 2009?

Scenario 1) Rodgers throws a hissy and gets dealt to another team. He becomes a good QB and takes the new team to the playoffs yearly. Brian Brohm sucks eggs and goes the way of Randy Wright.

Scenario 2) Rodgers' confidence is destroyed and never comes back. Brian Brohm sucks eggs and goes the way of Randy Wright.

Scenario 3) Favre coming back divides the locker room and the team is torn apart from within.

I'm not saying I agree with any of it or even think that its likely, but its possible.

Why didn't he say he was coming back in March then say he changed his mind if he didn't want to play now? Wouldn't that have been a much better scenario than anything going on right now?

What about the scenario of Favre playing for another team. I think that will impact the Packers a good deal as well. Not many press conferences would go by without a Favre question, especially if he's leading the Vikings to the top of the NFC North.

Gunakor
07-03-2008, 03:47 PM

That fine Zig.

What about the scenario of Favre playing for another team. I think that will impact the Packers a good deal as well. Not many press conferences would go by without a Favre question, especially if he's leading the Vikings to the top of the NFC North.

Favre will never be a Viking. I can guarantee that 100%. In order for Favre to become a Viking that means TT would have to trade him to Minnesota. Mark my words here, TT would never under any circumstances trade Favre to a division rival. Won't happen. My guess is that if he is traded it is to an AFC team that is not on our schedule this year. I don't see a trade affecting Green Bay unless we were to meet each other in the Super Bowl. And that would just take all the fun out of it, so I hope it doesn't happen.

Deputy Nutz
07-03-2008, 03:52 PM

Sorry the NFL is win now mentality league. You take your chance at the Super Bowl when you can. If Favre is the answer at QB in 2008 to make that run then I go with Favre. How exactly will Favre coming back damage the team for years to come? How damaged are we now with Favre retiring?

Seems like every player that has commented on Favre coming back is for it. Weird.

Gunakor
07-03-2008, 04:01 PM

That fine Zig.

I'm just wonder how welcoming Favre back for 2008 or going to the Super Bowl is going to fuck the whole team up for 2009 and beyond?

Rodgers gets a full season working with the first string offense in 2008. His timing is better in 2009 and 2010, and he operates the offense much more efficiently.

Or....

Favre gets another full season working with the first string offense in 2008. Rodgers development is pushed back yet another year. Rodgers gets upset and maybe demands a trade - as he very well should after being promised the starting job already. Favre may or may not take us to a SB this year. Then he retires (again) after 2008. Enter Rodgers in 2009 (if he's even still here) but he doesn't have the camaradarie with the first string offense that he'd have if he were the starter in 2008. What he does have is one less year in his football career, as do Jennings and Nelson and Grant and everyone else that Rodgers is being asked to lead to a SB. One less year for them to work together to master this offense and own this league.

The future starts now. I loved watching Brett play but it's time to move on. This is A-Rod's team now.

The Leaper
07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
What he does have is one less year in his football career, as do Jennings and Nelson and Grant and everyone else that Rodgers is being asked to lead to a SB. One less year for them to work together to master this offense and own this league.

OK. One less year...because you are using that year to gun for a Super Bowl trip with a HOF caliber QB. Sounds like a reasonable tradeoff.

So, again...how does that fuck everything up? Instead of a bunch of 24 and 25 year olds, we'll have 25 and 26 year olds. God forbid!!!

Gunakor
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
What he does have is one less year in his football career, as do Jennings and Nelson and Grant and everyone else that Rodgers is being asked to lead to a SB. One less year for them to work together to master this offense and own this league.

OK. One less year...because you are using that year to gun for a Super Bowl trip with a HOF caliber QB. Sounds like a reasonable tradeoff.

So, again...how does that fuck everything up? Instead of a bunch of 24 and 25 year olds, we'll have 25 and 26 year olds. God forbid!!!

Maybe he'll lead us to the SB. Maybe not. There's no guarantees. If not, what happens when he pulls this stunt again next summer?

Look, I don't blame him specifically for the loss in the NFC Championship game. But the truth is if he wanted to win that game bad enough, and he had brought his A game with him that day, it would have been more than enough to make up for Ryan Grant not getting it going or Al Harris getting toasted by Plax. He had his shot. So as I just typed in my last post:

The future starts now. I loved watching Brett play but it's time to move on. This is A-Rod's team now.

Gunakor
07-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Besides that, what if Rodgers demands a trade because he was lied to about starting this year? Then come next year we have no Favre and we have no Rodgers. We'd have Brohm, but he'd be 2 years behind learning this offense and the defenses he'll be facing. We'd be absolutely screwed at QB next year unless we could rent a washed up veteran FA like Daunte Culpepper. That's another very believable outcome to bringing Favre back this year...

Bretsky
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Ah we know where you stand Zig; regardless you agree with TT. He could bring TJ Rubley back and you'd find a way to justify that :lol:

Bretsky
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM

That fine Zig.

It's the conspiracy theory Leap........lol

BTW, I completely agree with you. The team would welcome Favre back.

TT IMO will not though.

MJZiggy
07-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Ah we know where you stand Zig; regardless you agree with TT. He could bring TJ Rubley back and you'd find a way to justify that :lol:

I'm not for TT. I'm for the Packers. There's a difference. What TT has done so far has been good for the Packers. That you couldn't see it last year is does not mean I'm for TT. He fucks up my team, he's toast in my book. I simply trust at this point that he won't do that.