PDA

View Full Version : Milwkee Jrnl : Preseason Conventional Wisdom

motife
06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
It's June and Green Bay just can't lose
Posted: June 7, 2006
Richard Pufall

Forget dairy products, June is Optimism Month here in the land of milk, cheese and Packers.

And if you can work up a positive lather about those incredible smackers - the Green Bay Packers - after that dismal 4-12 season of 2005, then you are indeed a full-fledged, loyal, somewhat blind but charming follower of all things Green and Gold.

The Packers are hoping that losing seasons are gone with the same wind that blew Mike Sherman out of town and down to Houston.

Mike McCarthy, Sherman's replacement as head coach, seems to have his sights set on a winning season, not just five victories to upstage Sherman's four.

No matter how bad a team seems on paper, everyone in the NFL is undefeated in June. In fact, it will be a full three months before anyone has a chance to lose a game that matters.

The Packers, on that paper, right now look a lot better than a 4-12 team.

And several factors indicate that they will, indeed, be better.

1. Brett Favre is back: Some people think this is a bad thing. And, of course, some people are wrong. Favre is coming back for reasons beyond his $10 million annual salary, although he's still smart enough to cash those checks. He is a winner, not a 4-12 quarterback. He is coming back to win and erase the taste of 2005.

McCarthy will help Favre in that quest. Returning to Green Bay is Mike Holmgren's old version of the West Coast offense, which McCarthy has reinstalled. Favre's bullets, for the most part, will be traveling shorter distances to wide receivers and tight ends, with more dump-offs to running backs.

Favre will not throw 29 interceptions in 2006. The offense will shift into drive, not reverse.

He will turn 37 on Oct. 10, but Favre still gives Green Bay its best chance to win.

2. Javon Walker is gone: Some people think this is a bad thing. And, of course, some people are wrong.

It's time for reasonable folks to stop thinking of Walker as the second coming of Don Hutson or James Lofton. He's not. He's a one-season wonder who has not produced anything of consequence since 2004. Walker missed 15 games in 2005 and his gimpy, surgically repaired knee makes him look very good in a Denver Broncos uniform.

But even if Walker returns to All-Pro form, the Packers are better off without him. An unhappy player, who wants to be somewhere else, does your team no good. Walker would have been more distraction than distinction had he returned to Green Bay, or pouted and sat out the entire season as he had threatened.

Donald Driver is the No. 1 wide receiver. He does not have Walker's pre-injury physical tools but while Walker sat out, Driver put up big numbers on a consistent basis.

Favre has always made wide receivers look better than they are. Walker will find this out in Denver now that Jake Plummer is on the other end of the passes.

To be sure, Green Bay missed Walker last season, but what hurt the Packers offense the most were season-ending injuries to running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport and the mess that was the interior line.

3. The offensive line: Some people think this is a bad thing. And, of course, some people are wrong.

Enough about Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Those guards are long gone. General manager Ted Thompson knows he failed when he let Wahle go and didn't find quality replacements at guard.

But Thompson has been working on the problem. A partial solution came in the draft when Thompson picked Daryn Colledge from Boise State in the second round. Colledge looks like he could step in and be a solid starter at left guard.

And Thompson drafted guard Jason Spitz from Louisville in Round 3. Then there's Junius Coston, who appears ready to start at right guard.

OK, we're not talking Jerry Kramer/Fuzzy Thurston here, but the prospects at guard look much better than they did a year ago.

At center, Scott Wells has to be the answer for aging, oft-injured Mike Flanagan, who has followed Sherman to Houston.

McCarthy has installed a zone-blocking scheme which should better fit Green Bay's personnel and rekindle the fire in the team's running game.

It's a work in progress, and Thompson isn't done addressing the problem.

4. The defense: Some people think this is a good thing. And, of course, some people are right.

Signing Charles Woodson to play cornerback and putting Ahmad Carroll on the bench is a very good thing. Woodson, with Al Harris, should give Green Bay one of the better cornerback tandems in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Carroll can stand on the sideline and hold his own jersey.

Signing free agent Marquand Manuel gives Green Bay a solid starter opposite Nick Collins at safety and should light the fire of competition under Mark Roman. If Roman embraces the challenge, the safety position will be one of strength for the Packers.

But the greatest excitement and improvement should come at linebacker. No. 1 draft choice A.J. Hawk from Ohio State and third-rounder Abdul Hodge of Iowa are a couple of hitting machines who will fly to the football as does veteran Nick Barnett.

There is no reason new coordinator Bob Sanders shouldn't improve a defense that was revived a year ago by the brilliant work of Jim Bates.

Sanders will employ the same defensive scheme that was installed by Bates. Logically, better players should make for a better defense.

5. Greg Jennings: This wide receiver is only a rookie. He's only 5-foot-11 and 197 pounds. But the second-round draft pick from Western Michigan has caught the ball and piled up yardage wherever he's played. The NFL should be no different.

Jennings has talent, and Favre knows how to use his wide receivers. This could get interesting.

Walker is out. Jennings is in. Wide receiver will not be a weakness for this team.

Clearly, the Packers find themselves in a can't-lose situation. It's called June.

Send e-mail to dpufall@journalsentinel

Harlan Huckleby
06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
OK, we're not talking Jerry Kramer/Fuzzy Thurston here, but the prospects at guard look much better than they did a year ago.

Umm, no. If you roll the clock back a year, there was much talk of how athletic Adrian Klemm was, and how he was underrated because of past injury, and looked Mike Wahle-like. Lots of good candidates at right guard - O'Dwyer, Ruegamer.

It is wait and see time again, nothing more, nothing less.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-07-2006, 06:31 PM
is the guy who wrote this a pack fan? not one negative comment, but nice to hear.

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Umm, no. If you roll the clock back a year, there was much talk of how athletic Adrian Klemm was, and how he was underrated because of past injury, and looked Mike Wahle-like. Lots of good candidates at right guard - O'Dwyer, Ruegamer.

It is wait and see time again, nothing more, nothing less.

I thought Klemm might work out, but it turns out he's a better OT than OG. I had a bad feeling about O'Dwyer and Ruegy from the outset. I like these OGs better. The interior OL has to be a guaranteed to be improved--considering that Klemm, Whitticker, and an old and injured Flanny gave them about the worse interior OL play they've had since the late 80s. More than anything else though, I think the scheme fits the personnel. That might not make these guys stars, but it's very possible it makes them adequate--and that would be an improvement.

The Leaper
06-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Who the hell said O'Dwyer was any good??? I can't remember too many people who were championing that guy.

We ALL knew he was overhill...and merely a stopgap at best. Most held out hope that Klemm would pan out...but he did not.

woodbuck27
06-07-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm wondering if Adrian Klemm can play both Tackle positions and therefor be a very useful back-up? Anyone ?

packiowa
06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice shot at Carroll, although I'm very excited to see him as nickelback.

I do think the outlook for the Guard position looks better, if only because all three top options have the chance to be long term solutions. Nobody has proven anything, but this team needs to retool after Brett leaves and 3-4 years of cheap, good Guard play is a very nice start. If Spitz can play guard, Colledge could be moved to T in a few years. Granted, we are not deep, but last years option couldn't even beat out Whit.

Bretsky
06-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Who the hell said O'Dwyer was any good??? I can't remember too many people who were championing that guy.

We ALL knew he was overhill...and merely a stopgap at best. Most held out hope that Klemm would pan out...but he did not.

If memory serves me right there was a former mater JS stat technician named Patler who liked O'Dwyer........and there were others.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2006, 12:17 AM
I thought Klemm might work out, but it turns out he's a better OT than OG. I had a bad feeling about O'Dwyer and Ruegy from the outset. I like these OGs better. The interior OL has to be a guaranteed to be improved--considering that Klemm, Whitticker, and an old and injured Flanny gave them about the worse interior OL play they've had since the late 80s. More than anything else though, I think the scheme fits the personnel. That might not make these guys stars, but it's very possible it makes them adequate--and that would be an improvement.

I was optimistic that two good guards would shake out 1 year ago, especially since Ruegamer did well in 2004 duty. Most people in this forum thought they would be OK.

I don't disagree with your optimistic hopes, they are plausible. My point is that they are still just hopes when you have 3 guys inside who haven't played much.

MadtownPacker
06-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Damn this guy must have drank some industrial strength Koolaid. Still nice to read something tha doesnt speak of how bad they will suck this season.

OS PA
06-08-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm not sure why, but last year I was really pulling for O'Dwyer.

I think I remember reading that O'Dwyer, in 2003 or 2004, won the NFL's strongest man competition, and that gave me hope that he would be a mauling road-grater...? Or maybe it was that I just started out last year paying attention to training camps and personell? I thought in the least that O'Dwyer would have made the squad, but alas he didn't pan out.

This year I seem to know a little more about Colledge, such as his scouted strengths and weaknesses, and know that he will be better than what was brought in last year. Colledge's weaknesses are inexperience and strength, and both of those will only get stronger with playing time and nfl workouts.

At the other guard position we see Coston, who, if I remember correctly, last year was to valuable to put on training squad, but not experienced enough at guard to grab the starting spot from Whittaker With another year under Costons belt he should be fine.

Two players i'm intrigued about are Chris White and Wayne Lucier, both seem to be very interesting players and all i've heard about the two are plusses, i'm wondering why bother haven't been given their shots with the 1st stringers. With both being stuck behind Wells i'm pretty certain that Wells is excelling in this zone blocking scheme, which makes me smile, because it means we are set at Center for the next 8-10 years.

I think that the depth added through our two Ted Thompson drafts is really starting to make an impact across the charts! (Sherman never really seemed to understand that the draft is for depth!)

I'm certain that the line-play will be better this year.

red
06-08-2006, 07:11 AM
i was one of them i think last year that thought we would be just fine with klemm and o'dwyer

well i guess you can't be right all the time lol

SkinBasket
06-08-2006, 09:57 AM
is the guy who wrote this a pack fan? not one negative comment, but nice to hear.

It's the flava of the article. It does start with waxing poetic on optimism and includes the following diclaimer:

And if you can work up a positive lather about those incredible smackers - the Green Bay Packers - after that dismal 4-12 season of 2005, then you are indeed a full-fledged, loyal, somewhat blind but charming follower of all things Green and Gold.

As far as our O-line last year, I was solidly uncomfortable with Gray, O'D, and Klemm. I was injecting Willie W's koolaid right into my fucking artery for most the season, and I still don't think he was as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. He was a rookie playing on a patchwork line with 3rd, 4th, and 5th string Rbs running behind him and 4th, 5th, and 6th WRs stumbling around downfield behind defenders. I guess you could say the same for the other OLs who looked like shit, but I still refuse to lump him with those other old and retarded fuckers.

Not that it matters now anyway with Zone Blocking in town, WWs chances of seeing the field anytime soon are fairly low.