PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS’ ATTITUDE ON FAVRE: IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, SHOW UP

packers11
07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
pft.com

PACKERS’ ATTITUDE ON FAVRE: IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, SHOW UP

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2008, 2:37 p.m.
Despite reports that the Green Bay Packers have rebuffed apparent interest on the part of quarterback Brett Favre to resume wearing the yellow helmet with the squished “G”, a league source tells us that the team’s attitude regarding Favre is simple.

If you want to play, show up.

In other words, the team isn’t going to smooch Brett’s butt (or any other body parts) in an effort to get him to play for them.

The suspicion in some circles is that Favre and/or his agent, Bus Cook, are trying to finagle an impasse between the Packers and Favre, so that Favre can play for another team.

And Favre, as we hear it, has one team in mind.

Who is the other team? Stay tuned. (It’s a slow week, so we need to milk these a bit.)

sheepshead
07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Shit

vince
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Now that's an interesting twist in this media-maddened soap opera. Bears or Vikes would be about the only ones completely off the table... Way too much fan emotion associated with that.

Chester Marcol
07-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Now that's an interesting twist in this soap opera. Bears or Vikes would be about the only ones completely off the table... Way too much fan emotion associated with that.

I disagree. There's only one team in the NFC that is legitimately a QB away from being really dangerous and that's the Vikings. And who better to play for if Brett really feels that TT didn't want him at or wanted to run him off the big ranch we call Lambeau. And all the buzz about how the Vikings will most likely, barring some freak weather, not play in cold temperatures this season. Also, what other team doesn't mind blowing dough on free agents?

Otherwise you look to the AFC, and who is a QB away on that side?

vince
07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Now that's an interesting twist in this soap opera. Bears or Vikes would be about the only ones completely off the table... Way too much fan emotion associated with that.

I disagree. There's only one team in the NFC that is legitimately a QB away from being really dangerous and that's the Vikings. And who better to play for if Brett really feels that TT didn't want him at or wanted to run him off the big ranch we call Lambeau. And all the buzz about how the Vikings will most likely, barring some freak weather, not play in cold temperatures this season. Also, what other team doesn't mind blowing dough on free agents?

Otherwise you look to the AFC, and who is a QB away on that side? That was poor writing on my part. Sorry Chester. I was referring to who the TEAM would absolutely not allow him to play for under any circumstances. Not who Favre wouldn't want to play for. Too quick to the submit button.

IMO, the team will not release him under any circumstances. They may trade him to a team that fits both their and his criteria.

Guiness
07-03-2008, 02:21 PM

I'd say San Diego - it Phillip Rivers really all that? He'd put them over the top.

Wow though. Anything like this would be incredibly shitty.

Bossman641
07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
If Favre even considered playing for the Vikings I would be disappointed in him, TT, and the situation as a whole.

packers11
07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
COOKS PRIVATELY SAYS FAVRE WANTS TO BE A PANTHER

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2008, 3:07 p.m.
Agent Bus Cook has been yapping a lot over the past several months regarding the future of his star client, Brett Favre.

Most recently, we heard that Cook had been telling people that Brett still wants to play. (Two days later, it was widely reported that Brett is telling people that Brett still wants to play.)

We’re now hearing that Cook is privately saying that Favre wants to play for the . . . . drum roll, please . . . oh, wait, it’s in the headline . . . Carolina Panthers.

We don’t know why Favre is eyeing Carolina. Maybe he thinks that it’s the best place for him to step in as the starter, notwithstanding the presence of Jake Delhomme, and have a chance to win. Or maybe Favre wants to play for a time that’s fairly close to his home in Mississippi — and that will play three division road games in that same general area as well.

Beyond the geography and a roster with the talent to compete in a wide-open NFC, Favre has no strong connections to the coaching staff. Favre never has been in the same organization as head coach John Fox.

That said, the quarterbacks coach, Mike McCoy, was on the Packers’ practice squad in 1995.

Whether Favre plays again and whether he plays for anyone other than the Packers remains to be seen. But if he does play for anyone other than the Packers, his next team could be the Panthers.

If the Panthers want him.

vince
07-03-2008, 02:25 PM
There could be a number of teams that think of themselves as being a world-class QB away from contention.

Ravens?
Texans?
Chiefs?

edit: or Panthers? :P

sharpe1027
07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
There could be a number of teams that think of themselves as being a world-class QB away from contention.

Ravens?
Texans?
Chiefs?

Packers?

falco
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM
this shit is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, as shit is wont to do

Chester Marcol
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Ravens?
Texans?
Chiefs?

Damn the quote feature. I noticed that part disapeared after I posted.

Ravents might be interesting. Not sure the Texans will ever win even if Jesus came out of retirement to QB the team.

vince
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Ravens?
Texans?
Chiefs?

Packers?
My opinion is that the Packers are in contention with or without him. I believe Mike McCarthy knows what he has in Aaron Rodgers - even though we don't - and that he likes what he's seen in him over the last two years quite a bit. If Favre comes back this year for the Pack, you then are looking at needing to make a decision on extending Rodgers without playing significantly on Sundays or risk letting him walk too after next year. Obviously, no one can predict who might get hurt and who might falter, but it's best for the team to turn the page now, IMO.

Pacopete4
07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
This is turning into one of the worst situations there could be... they both should save face, return him as the packer qb like its supposed to be

Merlin
07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Favre should probably come out and publically address this issue because there is a lot of bad blood being created by all of this. Personally, I don't care what he does. He has given us all a lot of great memories. If he comes back to any other team then Green Bay, then I am not so sure that is on Favre as much as it is on Green Bay, more specifically Ted Thompson. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there was tension there from the beginning. I can't fathom Favre in another jersey, it would suck, but I would still watch him. If he comes back to play for Green Bay, he must earn the starting spot back. he will of course, and I couldn't care less what Aaron Rodgers "feels" about it after his wise-ass comments in SI. He thinks he is all-world, good, now beat out Favre for the starting role or shut the hell up.

BallHawk
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
the Panthers? Does he fancy himself as Reggie White or something? Why them?

Chester Marcol
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I guess I might be able to warm up to Favre playing for the Vikings because I could watch him play live at least 8 times this season.

Pacopete4
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I could warm up to TT if he just lets him be the Packers QB and puts this project QB on hold for at least one more season..

Freak Out
07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
the Panthers? Does he fancy himself as Reggie White or something? Why them?

Are they a QB away? I don't think so....

If he comes back and plays anywhere else but GB it is going to be a WARM WEATHER team.....especially after what happened in the championship game.

PackerTimer
07-03-2008, 03:20 PM
You guys need to wake up. This isn't on TT. He didn't retire nor did he force Favre to retire. And spare me the team didn't make him feel loved act. This is the NFL not friggin pee wee football. He was under contract nobody forced him out. If you want to play, do as the article says, show up and play. Otherwise enjoy your retirement. Don't send family, friends, and good ole Bus out to every media outlet.

sheepshead
07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
You guys need to wake up. This isn't on TT. He didn't retire nor did he force Favre to retire. And spare me the team didn't make him feel loved act. This is the NFL not friggin pee wee football. He was under contract nobody forced him out. If you want to play, do as the article says, show up and play. Otherwise enjoy your retirement. Don't send family, friends, and good ole Bus out to every media outlet.

Amen my Packer Brother.

Pacopete4
07-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Amen my Packer Brother.

Totally agree but what if TT really does say no, sorry Brett we're trading you.. to me thats not right either... I think both sides, if Brett wants to play, should come together discuss this situation and if he is 100% in, then let him play.. otherwise Let the Arod Era begin

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 03:53 PM

If this latest rumor out of PFT.com holds water. My guess would be 'the Vikings' as the team he'd move to.

We're (maybe) soon going to see if there's been 'a standoff ', or existing ill feelings bet. Favre and team management. MM certainly appears off the hook.

If I was TT I'd decide between welcoming Favre back and 'the all's clear', and imprving the team as he may. There is a nice plum out there in the talent of Jason Taylor with normal considerations, of course.

or...

Go to the status quo, amid all rumors, and acting with pure integrity. Release Favre outright. This would hold no blemish on the GB Packer Organization.

Also, why go that route?

1.To get away from 'the heat'. Plenty of that now with a 'judged wrong' decision.

2. This option places the ball firmly in Favre's court. He's retired as a Packer and can play whereever he can make his deal. If indeed he desires to play in 2008 till when....

3. This option doesn't shed any real light or truth. That TT was in place to shelve Brett Favre since he arrived.

4. This move speaks mountains for TT standing tall behind Aaron Rodgers and his other draft picks at the QB position.

Anyone see this mess ensueing? I certainly didn't imagine it unfolding as it certainly appears today. I'm torn as 'a long time' Packer fan. I really love Brett Favre like some others here at Packerrats. I know who you are with Favre, your loyality to all he's been and could be.

So this and Packer fans I've always claimed it's really about us Packer fans - ' the fans '...so:

5. I try to respect others points of view here, that say 'no' to Brett Favre, but the argument deepens there. Things could get a lot hotter here except for the fine health and spirit of Packerrats . Most of us have one certain view in common. Packer fortunes... 'the teams immediate' and long term honor.

I slept on it last night. I just hope it goes away and.....

Brett Favre stays retired.

PACKERS FOREVER.

Deputy Nutz
07-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Favre should probably come out and publically address this issue because there is a lot of bad blood being created by all of this. Personally, I don't care what he does. He has given us all a lot of great memories. If he comes back to any other team then Green Bay, then I am not so sure that is on Favre as much as it is on Green Bay, more specifically Ted Thompson. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there was tension there from the beginning. I can't fathom Favre in another jersey, it would suck, but I would still watch him. If he comes back to play for Green Bay, he must earn the starting spot back. he will of course, and I couldn't care less what Aaron Rodgers "feels" about it after his wise-ass comments in SI. He thinks he is all-world, good, now beat out Favre for the starting role or shut the hell up.

Fuck, I agree 100% with Merlin.

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM

I agree with most of it except I can understand the media non savvy of a young man such as AR. Yes what he said was stupid for many reasons, but I give him credit for bluntness as he's hungry. :D

Tension... Favre and TT? Certainly yes. There is but one way for TT to see that go away and he's only acting for his boss.

Freak Out
07-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Old #4 should come out and say one way or another if any of this is true and if he is actually planning on coming back or not. Everyone would understand if he said I made a mistake and have to play again.

mission
07-03-2008, 04:22 PM
wow a panther...

we would beat the shit out of them in the playoffs. no doubt.

i hate how this is turning out and i really dont have an answer. i was stoked on rodgers, how i feel he fits our system a bit better (not as talented, but maybe a better fit) and now all this shit.

i dont even know what to say. i normally say too much. but this is just ... i dunno ... strange.

surreal?

DonHutson
07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
No way he ends up in Minnesota. I'd keep him on the 53 man roster and pay him his $12M (whether he shows up and participates or not) before I let him go to the Vikings.

If he wants to play closer to home, on a team that has playoff potential, where there isn't an established QB Carolina does make the most sense. Houston could be another option, depending on what they think of Schaub's chances.

Now if that's what he wants, why can't he just say that? If he said "I still want to play, I don't want to disrupt the Packers, and I'd like to play close to Mississippi" I wouldn't feel betrayed or upset by that. Disappointed that he won't go out as a Packer, sure, but I'd have no problem accomodating that.

packinpatland
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I found these stats interesting......
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=seifert_kevin&id=3472447

Tyrone Bigguns
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM

If this latest rumor out of PFT.com holds water. My guess would be 'the Vikings' as the team he'd move to.

We're (maybe) soon going to see if there's been 'a standoff ', or existing ill feelings bet. Favre and team management. MM certainly appears off the hook.

If I was TT I'd decide between welcoming Favre back and 'the all's clear', and imprving the team as he may. There is a nice plum out there in the talent of Jason Taylor with normal considerations, of course.

or...

Go to the status quo, amid all rumors, and acting with pure integrity. Release Favre outright. This would hold no blemish on the GB Packer Organization.

Also, why go that route?

1.To get away from 'the heat'. Plenty of that now with a 'judged wrong' decision.

2. This option places the ball firmly in Favre's court. He's retired as a Packer and can play whereever he can make his deal. If indeed he desires to play in 2008 till when....

3. This option doesn't shed any real light or truth. That TT was in place to shelve Brett Favre since he arrived.

4. This move speaks mountains for TT standing tall behind Aaron Rodgers and his other draft picks at the QB position.

Anyone see this mess ensueing? I certainly didn't imagine it unfolding as it certainly appears today. I'm torn as 'a long time' Packer fan. I really love Brett Favre like some others here at Packerrats. I know who you are with Favre, your loyality to all he's been and could be.

So this and Packer fans I've always claimed it's really about us Packer fans - ' the fans '...so:

5. I try to respect others points of view here, that say 'no' to Brett Favre, but the argument deepens there. Things could get a lot hotter here except for the fine health and spirit of Packerrats . Most of us have one certain view in common. Packer fortunes... 'the teams immediate' and long term honor.

I slept on it last night. I just hope it goes away and.....

Brett Favre stays retired.

PACKERS FOREVER.

If the packers release him that is a blemish on the organization.

Any company that doesn't utilize an asset to its advantage is blemished.

Thank god you aren't running the team.

sheepshead
07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I can't imagine Brett goes to any NFC north team, he loves us too much!!

:-/

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Old #4 should come out and say one way or another if any of this is true and if he is actually planning on coming back or not. Everyone would understand if he said I made a mistake and have to play again.

Simple... almost perfect.

The Shadow
07-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Amen.

Him8123
07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/03/cooks-privately-says-favre-wants-to-be-a-panther/

from these rumors it says the other team is the panthers

FritzDontBlitz
07-04-2008, 12:34 AM
this shit is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, as shit is wont to do

That there's some excellent sarcasm, son.

FritzDontBlitz
07-04-2008, 12:36 AM

Dammit! I do too.

Hold me?