PDA

View Full Version : Are Brett Favre and Joe Paterno being selfish?

oregonpackfan
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
The writer of the attached article is accusing Brett Favre and Penn State coach of being selfish in not letting go of their respective positions.

Why do you think of this article?

Indecision for Favre, Paterno Proving Selfish
By Vito Forlenza
Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:05:33 GMT
Are we doing this to them? Or are they doing it to themselves?

Two football legends, one a player and one a coach, appear to be ripping apart the legacies they created by refusing to confront the future. Brett Favre and Joe Paterno, names that will rank among the all-time greats in football history, each deciding to remain indecisive about life after football.

Ever since Favre’s retirement press conference last winter, speculation persisted that he will be back under center at Lambeau Field this coming season. And ever since Paterno signed a four-year contract before the 2005 season, rumors swirled that JoePa would personally pick a successor to walk the Beaver Stadium sidelines in ’09.

Those prickly issues popped up again this week, with “sources” telling ESPN.com that Favre has spoken to the Packers about playing again this season and a recruit revealing to the Altoona Mirror that Paterno promised him Penn State’s next coach is already on the Nittany Lions’ staff.

Neither Favre nor Paterno can stop people from talking, from playing the guessing game, from creating news. But both have put themselves in this situation—Favre by making comments earlier this offseason that his career might not actually be over; Paterno by claiming during spring practice that he’ll just coach without a contract if Penn State doesn’t give him one.

I’m not overly concerned about their legacies. I’m sure they aren’t concerned either—they’re too close to it. So if they want to brush aside history’s hospitality by remaining in the game too long, that’s their call.

Still, they must understand that it’s not all about them—other people are affected by their incertitude. It’s time for Favre and Paterno to finally figure out what the near future holds for them.

In Favre’s case, he must decide now if he’s playing this season. That’s it.

Brett, either you’re in or you’re out. If you’re in, we’ll see you at camp. If you’re out, end all communication with the Packers until the season begins. That’s the only way to stop rumors of your return—assuming, of course, that you want them to stop.

Because, again, you are the one who’s fueling them. You haven’t filed your retirement paperwork yet and you keep giving interviews that hint your playing days are still in the present, not the past. It’s not fair to the team and it’s definitely not fair to would-be starter Aaron Rogers for you to be abusing your power by threatening to strut into camp and steal his position.

In JoePa’s case, he must outline a succession plan and then throw an asterisk next to it.

Joe, we know you want to coach forever, but you can’t. No one can. Decide now how many more years you want to coach. And stick to that number. At the same time, name the person you'd prefer to replace you and how you’d like your staff to look when you’re watching from the luxury box. Then, explain that this is only a recommendation and that the university should go outside the program for a new coach if it sees fit.

Saying that you want to coach 10 more years, even if you’re joking, displays a lack of respect for the university to which you gave international acclaim. Moreover, it shows a lack of regard for longtime assistants Tom Bradley and Larry Johnson—both of whom have people pressing them regularly on their chances of being the Lions’ next coach. If you and your staff have agreed on a plan, it’s time to make it public.

Favre and Paterno might not believe that it’s fair to force them to make such decisions. But they have to remember that other people are involved—people who were forever good to them, who protected them, who moved mountains for them because they loved them, admired them, and respected them.

It’s time for Favre and Paterno to return the favor and make up their minds.

Should Favre and Paterno be forced to make a decision? Click here to comment.

Message Edited by Vito_Forlenza on 07-03-2008 10:22 AM

The Leaper
07-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Neither are being selfish. If their teams don't want them anymore, they could release/fire them at any time.

Gunakor
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
The Packers don't have to fire Favre. He quit remember? March 6th, when he said very clearly that he didn't want to do it anymore. And the team moved on without him since then. Nothing selfish there.

Now Favre is asking to come back, nullifying lots and lots of work done by TT and countless other members of the Packers franchise since March. Making this years draft look kinda silly on TT's part as well, seeing as how he drafted 2 new QB's and all. And totally crushing Aaron Rodgers, who has been waiting his entire life for this opportunity and has been promised the starting job this fall. That's a bit selfish, isn't it?

MJZiggy
07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Dear Vito,

YES, YOU ARE DOING THIS TO THEM!!!

Respectfully (or not)
MJZiggy

Harlan Huckleby
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Now Favre is asking to come back, nullifying lots and lots of work done by TT and countless other members of the Packers franchise since March. Making this years draft look kinda silly on TT's part as well, seeing as how he drafted 2 new QB's and all. And totally crushing Aaron Rodgers, who has been waiting his entire life for this opportunity and has been promised the starting job this fall. That's a bit selfish, isn't it?

Huh? The Packers are under no obligation to play Favre. They can trade him and pick up a decent draft pick. No blood, no foul.

Bretsky
07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
ripping apart legacies ? That's junk. And Favre can decide when he wants to return; Green Bay has every right to let him back, or let him go elsewhere

Gunakor
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Huh? The Packers are under no obligation to play Favre. They can trade him and pick up a decent draft pick. No blood, no foul.

I suppose you are right. I just don't see Favre being traded. I heard that such a trade was inconcievable straight from the horses mouth. I don't see him being release outright either, since the teams that could best use his services this season all play in the NFC North. I would imagine the only way he plays in the NFL anymore is in a Packers jersey. And if he plays in a Packers jersey this year it would be unfair to many people who have worked very hard this offseason preparing to move forward without him and still be successful. But if he were traded to a team that isn't on our schedule and won't have a huge impact on our chances to reach the playoffs then you are absolutely right, there is no problem at all with that. It would just be a little strange, that's all.

Harlan Huckleby
07-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I just don't see Favre being traded. I heard that such a trade was inconcievable straight from the horses mouth.

Ya, but that was TT last spring, and he was probably trying to pressure Favre to commit himself to a decision. Now its Independence Day. Camp is right around the corner, and TT has to make the best of the situation. I think putting Rodgers back on the bench is a bad option. A trade outside the NFC would be fine for GB.

motife
07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
what about Bobby Bowden?

Heyden Fry, the Iowa coach said he wouldn't retire until JoePa did. That was 15 years ago.

Badgerinmaine
07-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Honestly, I've got no problem with JoePa here. Penn State played better last year, and he's been perfectly clear about his intentions. The yo-yo game Favre has played "should I stay or should I go?" bothers me more.

Deputy Nutz
07-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Paterno still has no problems with recruiting, and you no one can actually believe that he is the coming up with game plans. He is a figure head.

What I don't understand, is that if Favre is still a better QB than Rodgers and wants to come back and give this team a better QB, why the hesitation on the Packers? Protect Aaron Rodgers feelings? McCarthy needs to sit Rodgers down, tell him he is a very good quarterback, but to face facts, Favre was second in MVP voting at 38, and at 38 he is a better QB than you will ever be, sorry.

MJZiggy
07-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I just don't see Favre being traded. I heard that such a trade was inconcievable straight from the horses mouth.

Ya, but that was TT last spring, and he was probably trying to pressure Favre to commit himself to a decision. Now its Independence Day. Camp is right around the corner, and TT has to make the best of the situation. I think putting Rodgers back on the bench is a bad option. A trade outside the NFC would be fine for GB.

I think Gunakor was referring to Favre saying over the last couple seasons that he wasn't looking to be traded, that he was a Packer and would retire a Packer and that he didn't want to play for any other team or try to learn a new system, etc.

FavreChild
07-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Paterno still has no problems with recruiting, and you no one can actually believe that he is the coming up with game plans. He is a figure head.

That's exactly correct. For the Penn Staters, JoePa = Brett Favre for us. What difference does it make if he's still around? JoePa is still a living legend for them. Not to mention he donates millions to the university - so the "selfish" accusation is unwarranted.

As for Favre, I personally think it would be best for him to stay retired. But you can't hold him at fault for wanting to play. It's going to be a messy situation if he does indeed want to come back, but he has every right to. I don't see it as selfish; it's only the circumstances that pose the problem, with Brett being the legend he is and A-Rod having taken over the helm already. If Jake Plummer wanted to come back and play, he would not be accused of being selfish, would he?

Gunakor
07-04-2008, 10:17 AM

I think Gunakor was referring to Favre saying over the last couple seasons that he wasn't looking to be traded, that he was a Packer and would retire a Packer and that he didn't want to play for any other team or try to learn a new system, etc.

Well, yeah, that too. But I just don't see TT trading him. I don't know of many teams that would need to rent a 38 year old veteran QB for one year, and the ones that would I'd never in a million years trade Favre to in the first place. I can only think of one team that would part with a descent draft pick, and they play in teh NFC North. I heard Tampa thrown out there, but that doesn't make any sense since they have so many veteran QB's on thier roster already. Carolina could use him, maybe, but it doesn't make any sense from Favre's perspective coz they aren't going to the SB even with Favre this year. No AFC team really makes sense from the teams OR Favre's perspective. Baltimore maybe, but that's it. The only team I think that really needs a QB like Favre this season AND gives Favre a legitimate opportunity at a ring is Minnesota. With that offensive line, and Petersen, and a good defense that got better when they signed Jared Allen, they could do it if they ever got a QB. With Favre they are legitimate contenders right away. And that just can't happen. No fucking way TT trades Favre or allows Favre to sign with a division rival. I cringe at the thought. I think if Favre does play again, it will be here in Green Bay. And I've already jumped on the A-Rod bandwagon, so I hope Favre just stays retired.

Deputy Nutz
07-04-2008, 10:24 AM

That's exactly correct. For the Penn Staters, JoePa = Brett Favre for us. What difference does it make if he's still around? JoePa is still a living legend for them. Not to mention he donates millions to the university - so the "selfish" accusation is unwarranted.

As for Favre, I personally think it would be best for him to stay retired. But you can't hold him at fault for wanting to play. It's going to be a messy situation if he does indeed want to come back, but he has every right to. I don't see it as selfish; it's only the circumstances that pose the problem, with Brett being the legend he is and A-Rod having taken over the helm already. If Jake Plummer wanted to come back and play, he would not be accused of being selfish, would he?

I loved watching Favre play, and the only reason I didn't want him to retire is because I knew that he would have a hard time with it know that he can still play at a pro bowl level. I assumed this was going to happen, and that is why I thought it was the wrong time for him to retire. He is football player, and the only way we leave the field for good is when our body breaks down, or there isn't a team in the world that doesn't need us anymore.

mraynrand
07-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Joe, we know you want to coach forever, but you can’t.

LAME. Joe wants to coach until he's physically and mentally debilitated or dead. As long as the team can continue to play and compete, the school would be crazy to dump him. Like any business they can fire him at any point. If that's what they want, they should do it and drag his withered remains off the field. Otherwise, let him coach and shaddup. They're a bunch of wusses because they're afraid to fire him and want him to step aside quietly. I hope Joe stays as long as he can. It would be pure football poetry if he died on the sidelines following a last second victory. Never quit, Joe!