PDA

View Full Version : What should the Packers do if Favre returns?

motife
07-03-2008, 06:42 PM
If they trade him, Tampa Bay might be the most likely prospect, with Jon Gruden there.

Brando19
07-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Don't trade him, don't release him....play him! Trade A-Rod to Miami for Taylor and go for the Super Bowl for 2 or 3 years. Then...begin the Brohm era. Besides...I have his autograph so I'm banking on Brohm to be a Packer star. 8-)

Scott Campbell
07-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Don't trade him, don't release him....play him! Trade A-Rod to Miami for Taylor and go for the Super Bowl for 2 or 3 years. Then...begin the Brohm era. Besides...I have his autograph so I'm banking on Brohm to be a Packer star. 8-)

Yikes. A-Rod for Taylor is WAYYYYY too much to give up.

Lately it's like everyone in here has been infected with George Allen disease.

Brando19
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Yeah...I typed without thinking. You're right, Scott. Taylor will only play for another year, MAYBE two. Maybe trade Rodgers for a pick, maybe a 1 or a 2, and trade for Taylor by offering a 3. Hmmm...KC needs a QB...maybe A-Rod for Larry Johnson? Endless possibilities.

Scott Campbell
07-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Yeah...I typed without thinking. You're right, Scott. Taylor will only play for another year, MAYBE two. Maybe trade Rodgers for a pick, maybe a 1 or a 2, and trade for Taylor by offering a 3. Hmmm...KC needs a QB...maybe A-Rod for Larry Johnson? Endless possibilities.

Or Taylor and a pick. Ted likes picks.

Brando19
07-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Or Taylor and a pick. Ted likes picks.

No doubt. I'm so torn. I was just getting used to Rodgers, now this happens. All of a sudden I'm excited about seeing Brett in a Packer uniform once more, but this would almost definitely mean the end of Rodgers as a Packer, which isn't fair to him, but I don't wanna see Brett in another uniform, and I like Brohm......ahhhh this is aging ME!

MadtownPacker
07-03-2008, 07:04 PM
If they trade him, Tampa Bay might be the most likely prospect, with Jon Gruden there.Thus was the team I think fits best also. Chucky needs a QB, weather is nice and its close to his home, and the team runs a WCO.

twoseven
07-03-2008, 07:17 PM
If they trade him, Tampa Bay might be the most likely prospect, with Jon Gruden there.Thus was the team I think fits best also. Chucky needs a QB, weather is nice and its close to his home, and the team runs a WCO.Surpised there isn't a thread for this, apologies if there is:

COOK PRIVATELY SAYS FAVRE WANTS TO BE A PANTHER
Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2008, 3:07 p.m.
Agent Bus Cook has been yapping a lot over the past several months regarding the future of his star client, Brett Favre.

Most recently, we heard that Cook had been telling people that Brett still wants to play. (Two days later, it was widely reported that Brett is telling people that Brett still wants to play.)

We’re now hearing that Cook is privately saying that Favre wants to play for the . . . . drum roll, please . . . oh, wait, it’s in the headline . . . Carolina Panthers.

We don’t know why Favre is eyeing Carolina. Maybe he thinks that it’s the best place for him to step in as the starter, notwithstanding the presence of Jake Delhomme, and have a chance to win. Or maybe Favre wants to play for a time that’s fairly close to his home in Mississippi — and that will play three division road games in that same general area as well.

Beyond the geography and a roster with the talent to compete in a wide-open NFC, Favre has no strong connections to the coaching staff. Favre never has been in the same organization as head coach John Fox.

That said, the quarterbacks coach, Mike McCoy, was on the Packers’ practice squad in 1995.

Whether Favre plays again and whether he plays for anyone other than the Packers remains to be seen. But if he does play for anyone other than the Packers, his next team could be the Panthers.

If the Panthers want him.
---------------------

I say trade him for Julius Peppers, straight up

MJZiggy
07-03-2008, 07:19 PM
There are enough threads...Cook privately said to whom????

I'll go by what Favre says instead, thanks.

Brando19
07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
If they trade him, Tampa Bay might be the most likely prospect, with Jon Gruden there.Thus was the team I think fits best also. Chucky needs a QB, weather is nice and its close to his home, and the team runs a WCO.Surpised there isn't a thread for this, apologies if there is:

COOK PRIVATELY SAYS FAVRE WANTS TO BE A PANTHER
Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2008, 3:07 p.m.
Agent Bus Cook has been yapping a lot over the past several months regarding the future of his star client, Brett Favre.

Most recently, we heard that Cook had been telling people that Brett still wants to play. (Two days later, it was widely reported that Brett is telling people that Brett still wants to play.)

We’re now hearing that Cook is privately saying that Favre wants to play for the . . . . drum roll, please . . . oh, wait, it’s in the headline . . . Carolina Panthers.

We don’t know why Favre is eyeing Carolina. Maybe he thinks that it’s the best place for him to step in as the starter, notwithstanding the presence of Jake Delhomme, and have a chance to win. Or maybe Favre wants to play for a time that’s fairly close to his home in Mississippi — and that will play three division road games in that same general area as well.

Beyond the geography and a roster with the talent to compete in a wide-open NFC, Favre has no strong connections to the coaching staff. Favre never has been in the same organization as head coach John Fox.

That said, the quarterbacks coach, Mike McCoy, was on the Packers’ practice squad in 1995.

Whether Favre plays again and whether he plays for anyone other than the Packers remains to be seen. But if he does play for anyone other than the Packers, his next team could be the Panthers.

If the Panthers want him.
---------------------

I say trade him for Julius Peppers, straight up

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

MadtownPacker
07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Carolina makes no sense at all IMO.

Scott Campbell
07-03-2008, 07:27 PM

It'd be kind of fun hucking it up to Steve Smith.

twoseven
07-03-2008, 07:31 PM
FAVRE CAN EASILY PUT PACKERS IN A BIND
Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2008, 6:02 p.m.
Adam Schefter of NFL Network lays out the procedure that quarterback Brett Favre would follow if/when he decides to play football again.

Favre currently is on the reserve/retired list. To be activated from it, Favre only has to send written notice to the Packers and to the league of his desire to play. The Packers would then have 24 hours to reinstate Favre, or to release him.

The other possibility would be to activate Favre and then attempt to trade him, if the Packers don’t want him back on the team. But they would be required to use a roster spot on him until he is traded.

As to whether the Packers want Favre, Schefter reports that there are folks in the organization who go both ways on the issue.

As to whether Favre wants to play, Schefter confirms that Favre is training as if he’s returning.

If he chooses to do so, the Packers have limited options — and there’s a good chance that they like none of them.

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 07:55 PM

YES but this. Aaron Rodgers is TT's starting QB it seems to me .

Well.. Aaron told us that and all NFL fans 'as much'.

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 07:58 PM

:D ... every once in awhile I do get you.

RashanGary
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I'd trade him for wahtever I could get then cut him if nobody offers anything. I'll bet whereever Brett goes, it's not going ot be as good as here and he'll have a whole offense to learn on top of it. Let him tarnish his legacy. The Packers do not need him.

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Let's go to PLAN A ... ** First priority.

** Favre in the G and G for 2008 and starting.... :idea:

OK yes... relieve Aaron of all the pressure he may have instilled for himself and team management last little while... 'burning in Rome'. :)

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I'd trade him for wahtever I could get then cut him if nobody offers anything. I'll bet whereever Brett goes, it's not going ot be as good as here and he'll have a whole offense to learn on top of it. Let him tarnish his legacy. The Packers do not need him.

A strong Favre supporter offers karma. :shock:

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 08:19 PM

What do you think of this ' wild stallion ' Mad? :)

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 08:24 PM

Hunting in Carolina? Turkey? Mike Wahle and Brett and beards.

Brando19
07-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Too bad Mike Wahle's in Seattle now.

I live about 2 1/2 hours from Carolina, so I'd be able to watch him play a few times a year...but I still don't want him going anywhere else.

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Too bad **Mike Wahle's in Seattle now.

I live about 2 1/2 hours from Carolina, so I'd be able to watch him play a few times a year...but I still don't want him going anywhere else.

Thanks. I miss'd ** that.

Brando19
07-03-2008, 08:43 PM

I just remembered that today. When I heard Carolina mentioned as a team he'd be interested in, Wahle's the first guy I thought of.

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 08:56 PM
What should the Packers do if Favre returns?

:hug: and :glug: and :five: and :wave: and

:knll:

woodbuck27
07-03-2008, 08:59 PM

I just remembered that today. When I heard Carolina mentioned as a team he'd be interested in, Wahle's the first guy I thought of.

Didn't he and Brett hunt around Green Bay?

Brando19
07-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure they did. I believe Brett would hunt with anyone that would go with him...even that pussy Ryan Longwell.

oregonpackfan
07-03-2008, 09:14 PM
For the record, I predict that Favre will NOT be coming back! Yes, I may be dead wrong, but that is my prediction.

Bretsky
07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Patler is the only prediction that counts around here.

He's playing with the PatlerVoodoo Doll now

He predicted the Giants would beat the Packers
then
He predicted that Brett Favre would retire

We all await Patler; he is the only one who KNOWS

Carolina_Packer
07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm hearing about and reading about the supposed bad blood that might be brewing between Favre and management. Hmm...how does anyone really know what the Packers intent is as far as Favre is concerned? He's earned the right with his emeritus status as a Packer to go out on his terms or come back if he so desires. If he can still play effectively, why not welcome him back? IF management is trying to keep the door closed to him and decides to let him go or trade his rights, I think it would be a blunder. They would basically be saying we think we can get more out of Rodgers at this point. Sure, Rodgers might be itching to have his starting career start right now, but the object is still to win, and if your best chance at that is Favre and he wants to come back, let him. They can always bench Favre if he shows signs of having lost it. Judging by his performance last season overall, I don't see how he could just lose it in one year. I sincerely hope management handles this situation (if there is one) in the best way possible. Brett may be indecisive, sure, and fans/management want to know if he's staying or going, but it must be a tough decision to make at Favre's stage of his career.

NewsBruin
07-03-2008, 11:59 PM
He's earned the right with his emeritus status as a Packer to go out on his terms or come back if he so desires.

He DID go out on his own terms.

I love Brett, everything he's given to the Packers, and how he's transformed my team. However, I can't wrap my brain around this. Brett coming back takes whatever offensive planning Mike McCarthy's been working on and chucks it out the window. It makes Aaron Rogers' contract completely worthless. It puts one guy ahead of the team.

The Packers are obligated to honor his contract or release him, and I don't want to see Brett benched and collecting checks. However, I really think that playing him justs burns a season in the NFL and puts us one year back from where we should be.

I don't want to say I don't want to see Brett back, but I just think I don't, based on what it would do to the future of the team.

twoseven
07-04-2008, 04:06 AM
but the object is still to win, and if your best chance at that is Favre and he wants to come back, let him.
The object should be to win AND make sure that trend continues the year after, and the next, etc. If throwing Brett back in there means AR is alienated even further to the point that he'll wave bye bye to GB when he's a FA in a couple years, what did we gain be hanging on with Favre? A trip to the SB would justify the gamble, or a 100% from AR that he's ok to sit on the bench for yet another season. The odds of those? Is it worth the damage it could cause for 09', 10' 11'?

Patler
07-04-2008, 05:51 AM

then

Come on now, give me FULL credit!
I also predict NCAA Hockey Championships for both the UW men and women.
I predicted Atlas Herrion would ....(wait, forget that one!)

My only prediction now for Favre is that he will not play for the Packers. If he insists on continuing his career, it will be with another team either by trade or outright release. There are many, many examples of teams choosing to go different directions when future Hall of Famers no longer fit in their plans but insist on continuing to play. I think the Packers are there.

Old athletes are hard to predict. I can name a long list of players who I thought would never play for other teams, but did. The Favre "camp" is starting to sound like Reggie White's after he retired from GB. White wasn't as iconic in GB as Favre is, but you never know.....

I could see GB giving Favre his outright release. In some ways for PR purposes it could be made to sound pretty good, "We respect and cherish all he has meant to the Packers...blah, blah, blah. When Brett first talked about retirement four years ago, we had to face the reality that at some time he would not be the Packers QB. When Brett announced that he would retire, we very reluctantly had to move forward with our plan. We can not now go back. If Brett wants to continue to play a few more years, for all that he has meant to the Packers, he deserves to end his career with a team of his own choosing. For that reason we have decided to grant him his outright release, so that he can find a situation that is best for him and his family."

Bretsky
07-04-2008, 11:08 PM

then

Come on now, give me FULL credit!
I also predict NCAA Hockey Championships for both the UW men and women.
I predicted Atlas Herrion would ....(wait, forget that one!)

My only prediction now for Favre is that he will not play for the Packers. If he insists on continuing his career, it will be with another team either by trade or outright release. There are many, many examples of teams choosing to go different directions when future Hall of Famers no longer fit in their plans but insist on continuing to play. I think the Packers are there.

Old athletes are hard to predict. I can name a long list of players who I thought would never play for other teams, but did. The Favre "camp" is starting to sound like Reggie White's after he retired from GB. White wasn't as iconic in GB as Favre is, but you never know.....

I could see GB giving Favre his outright release. In some ways for PR purposes it could be made to sound pretty good, "We respect and cherish all he has meant to the Packers...blah, blah, blah. When Brett first talked about retirement four years ago, we had to face the reality that at some time he would not be the Packers QB. When Brett announced that he would retire, we very reluctantly had to move forward with our plan. We can not now go back. If Brett wants to continue to play a few more years, for all that he has meant to the Packers, he deserves to end his career with a team of his own choosing. For that reason we have decided to grant him his outright release, so that he can find a situation that is best for him and his family."

There you have it; no needs to get any hopes up

Patler has spoken; Favre is done in GB

DonHutson
07-05-2008, 12:52 PM
FAVRE CAN EASILY PUT PACKERS IN A BIND
Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2008, 6:02 p.m.

Favre currently is on the reserve/retired list. To be activated from it, Favre only has to send written notice to the Packers and to the league of his desire to play. The Packers would then have 24 hours to reinstate Favre, or to release him.

The other possibility would be to activate Favre and then attempt to trade him, if the Packers don’t want him back on the team. But they would be required to use a roster spot on him until he is traded.

So for 7/17ths of Favre's salary and a roster spot you could hold on to Favre's rights all the way to the trade deadline. If the Packers show a willingness to do that, that lights a fire under Favre and other teams to make a deal sooner rather than later. Obviously a team won't want to wait until the season is almost half over before they bring in their new starting QB if they can help it.

Point being, contrary to the headline the Packers can put Favre in a bind as well. So if Favre wants out, the Packers want to trade him, and some teams are interested - I don't see why a deal can't be made without a lot of screwing around.

DonHutson
07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I could see GB giving Favre his outright release. In some ways for PR purposes it could be made to sound pretty good, "We respect and cherish all he has meant to the Packers...blah, blah, blah.

I think it's more likely the company line would be "For all Brett has done for the Packers we will work with him to trade him to a team that will be a better situation for him and his family... yadda, yadda."

I don't see any reason to just give him away.

Scott Campbell
07-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I could see GB giving Favre his outright release. In some ways for PR purposes it could be made to sound pretty good, "We respect and cherish all he has meant to the Packers...blah, blah, blah.

I think it's more likely the company line would be "For all Brett has done for the Packers we will work with him to trade him to a team that will be a better situation for him and his family... yadda, yadda."

I don't see any reason to just give him away.

I think they could do that without looking bad, if that's what they wanted.

Patler
07-05-2008, 04:01 PM
...and the team hand selected by Favre, who knows the Packers don't want him, would be willing to give up any significant compensation, why????

That would just drag things out as "adequate" compensation is determined. The Packers would be the team that "gave up Brett Favre for a 7th round pick (or whatever)". "After 16 years, all he was worth to them was a ______ round pick." Etc., etc., etc. A low pick compensation would also be a little embarrassing to Favre. No need for any of that. The Packers are not losing anything they thought they would have. They don't need to be compensated.

If it comes to it, I think they will want to make the situation go way as quickly as possible. They can do it and look like they are presenting absolutely no obstacle to Favre continuing his career by granting him his outright release. Total freedom.

TT has said as much with William Henderson, Koren Robinson and others. He has said they owed that much to veterans. He should with Favre, too.

Scott Campbell
07-05-2008, 04:12 PM
TT has said as much with William Henderson, Koren Robinson and others. He has said they owed that much to veterans. He should with Favre, too.

That might have been a little bit easier with those guys, as they had no trade value anyway.

Bretsky
07-05-2008, 04:17 PM

That might have been a little bit easier with those guys, as they had no trade value anyway.

On the other hand, if the GM's know that TT does not want Fave in Green Bay, they will get lowballed anyways

DonHutson
07-05-2008, 04:52 PM
...and the team hand selected by Favre, who knows the Packers don't want him, would be willing to give up any significant compensation, why????

To get him into training camp as opposed to waiting until the season started, or later. And that's assuming there's only one acceptable team. If he's that specific then he should just come out with that info. Otherwise, he can put together a list of teams or the Packers can give him a list of teams that they won't trade him to, and figure out something that works.

And yes I realize Favre is 38, but he's also a legend coming off an MVP runner up season. I don't think you're talking about 6th or 7th round picks here. Moss generated a 4th after playing like shit for years. Many here are open to a Jason Taylor trade for a 2nd. Favre should have equal value to Jason Taylor (at least).

As for the arguments about releasing William Henderson or Koren Robinson, well I'm not worried that some team will sign Koren Robinson and he'll lead them deep into the playoffs. Favre could do that, and if the Packers can control where he goes then they should. Patler, you say the Packers aren't losing anything that they expected to have should they release Favre. I would argue that's not true. They expected the main competition in their division to have inadequate starting QB's - something they could definitely lose if Favre signed with Minnesota or Chicago.

Any arguments Favre had about getting released for services rendered and goodwill for all go out the window if he is indeed attempting to strong arm his way back into football. He's attempting to use the leverage he has, and the Packers should use the leverage they have. It shouldn't be business as usual for Favre/Cook and hugs and kisses from the Packers.

Scott Campbell
07-05-2008, 04:55 PM

On the other hand, if the GM's know that TT does not want Fave in Green Bay, they will get lowballed anyways

I don't think that matters, as there would still be more buyers than sellers. If your a GM and badly needed a QB, who would you rather have? Favre, or Culpepper? Its slim pickings out there.

packrulz
07-06-2008, 08:47 AM

To get him into training camp as opposed to waiting until the season started, or later. And that's assuming there's only one acceptable team. If he's that specific then he should just come out with that info. Otherwise, he can put together a list of teams or the Packers can give him a list of teams that they won't trade him to, and figure out something that works.

And yes I realize Favre is 38, but he's also a legend coming off an MVP runner up season. I don't think you're talking about 6th or 7th round picks here. Moss generated a 4th after playing like shit for years. Many here are open to a Jason Taylor trade for a 2nd. Favre should have equal value to Jason Taylor (at least).

As for the arguments about releasing William Henderson or Koren Robinson, well I'm not worried that some team will sign Koren Robinson and he'll lead them deep into the playoffs. Favre could do that, and if the Packers can control where he goes then they should. Patler, you say the Packers aren't losing anything that they expected to have should they release Favre. I would argue that's not true. They expected the main competition in their division to have inadequate starting QB's - something they could definitely lose if Favre signed with Minnesota or Chicago.

Any arguments Favre had about getting released for services rendered and goodwill for all go out the window if he is indeed attempting to strong arm his way back into football. He's attempting to use the leverage he has, and the Packers should use the leverage they have. It shouldn't be business as usual for Favre/Cook and hugs and kisses from the Packers.

If Brett went to an NFC rival fans would be calling fot TT's head on a stick, there's no way he would let that happen. If some team like the Dolphins traded for Favre they would instantly sell out every game and get national exposure, that has monetery value, and TT loves stockpiling picks, I won't be suprised if he got a #1 pick for Favre. ARod will do fine, he looks great so far, he deserves his shot.

texaspackerbacker
07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
I hope nothing at all comes of this.

I wouldn't mind much if Favre came back and played.

I could even live with the idea that we trade him if we get a high enough draft pick.

But I would be EXTREMELY pissed off if the Packers just gave him a release.

The Packers hold all the cards here. If Favre insists on playing by the terms of his contract, fine. Let him come back and be the backup QB. If Rodgers gets hurt or fails miserably, having Favre is a great insurance policy. And with all the cap space, the Packers could pay him his $10 million and not be hurt. I think, though, merely TELLING him that is the way it would be would be enough to discourage any comeback itch.

As others have said, this is a team game. Somebody even said long ago, "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing". Regardless of how much Favre has done for the Packers for so long, you don't just get all sentimental and let him sign with somebody, getting nothing for him.

Joemailman
07-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Not necessarily if you have more than one team interested in acquiring him. The idea is to get the other teams to bid against each other.

I would actually be intrigued with the idea of bringing Favre back and grooming Brohm if you could get decent compensation for ARod. Bringing Favre back and sitting down Rodgers could be divisive though. Several veterans have stated their confidence in Rodgers. You could have pro-Favre and pro-Rodgers factions develop on the team, although the preferences would not be spoken publicly.