PDA

View Full Version : AT&T U-Verse opinions

digitaldean
07-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Hey, fellow Rats!

AT&T is offering UVerse in the Fox Valley, WI area. Anyone have it?

If so, what are your thoughts (plus and minus) about it?

I am looking for a cheaper alternative to TimeWarner. But the thought of trying to decipher an AT&T bill for internet, phone and TV may increase my alcohol (hic) intake.

Also, do they meter your broadband usage?? Thanks in advance, all, have a safe and happy Fourth!!

GBRulz
07-04-2008, 08:52 AM
You must have received the same mailing that I did last week about U Verse now being available here!

I have thought about it, but I've read a lot of reviews and it just seems like too many headaches for me. I'll wait until it's been out a while and then maybe I'll give it a shot.

Yes, they do meter your usage. I have a friend in Milwaukee that has this and he said that they can't watch 3 TV's and be on the internet at the same time. Someone has to give up their TV. Now, I will never be watching three TV's at once at my house, for those that have a family that is probably normal.

He also told me that if you have a wireless printer (I do) or do file sharing, that it will not work with their modem. I guess he had to buy a bluetooth device from them that is hardwired and then he could connect wirelessly for printing through that. Again, sounds like too many headaches for me.

I agree about AT&T's billing though, it's like each month presents a new challenge on how to figure it out and whether or not they've billed u correctly.

Deputy Nutz
07-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey, fellow Rats!

I am looking for a cheaper alternative to TimeWarner. But the thought of trying to decipher an AT&T bill for internet, phone and TV may increase my alcohol (hic) intake.

Also, do they meter your broadband usage?? Thanks in advance, all, have a safe and happy Fourth!!

I have it, wonderful. Few glitches here and there but over all it is a great value, bigten network. and nfl network. good wireless access on the computer. easy to operate.

swede
07-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey, fellow Rats!

I have it, wonderful. Few glitches here and there but over all it is a great value, bigten network. and nfl network. good wireless access on the computer. easy to operate.

I have it. They threw in wireless internet for a total of 74 bucks a month for the U-300 plan. I love the DVR!

I had trouble with their billing almost immediately but when I threatened to cancel they caved and gave me a credit and its been good since. I feel very good about the product. A little latency sometimes when using the remote control, but I've had less trouble with their signal than I did with cable.

I don't have HD so I can't comment on that.

bobblehead
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm gonna have to check into it since I have at&t cell anyway.

I hate the phone companies...I hate the cable companies....but I have to tolerate one of them for internet. I gotta look into this.

LL2
07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd like to get this service and you would think it would be available in every Chicago suburb, but not in mine. I use AT&T for cell phone service and comcast for HD cable and internet. I want to combine all 3 into one bill.

GoPackGo
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I'd like to get this service and you would think it would be available in every Chicago suburb, but not in mine. I use AT&T for cell phone service and comcast for HD cable and internet. I want to combine all 3 into one bill.

Switch to AT&T DSL and Direct TV + your AT&T cell. It will all come on one bill

LL2
07-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Switch to AT&T DSL and Direct TV + your AT&T cell. It will all come on one bill

Tried that but we have so many full grown frickin trees that the dish can't pick up the HD signal. If we want the regular signal we'd be fine, but I have to watch Packer football in HD. So, I'm stuck with Comcast and AT&T. The annoying part is that if I live two miles south I can get the U-verse.

GBRulz
10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
After talking to a few neighbors that have had U-Verse installed, I went ahead and ordered it. I've heard nothing but good things about it from them (other than the installation taking 6+ hrs) so we'll see. Install date is the 2nd week in Nov, that's how far out they are.

digitaldean
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks GBR!

STILL waiting for it to be available in Kimberly. :x

It's avaiable in nearby cities of Menasha and parts of Appleton.

Did an online chat with an AT&T rep. I'd save approx. $20/month for MORE channels and almost same broadband speeds. The channel selection for U-100 alone is better than the TW lineup I have now. U-200 has NFLN -- :pack:

Though I'd love HD, the finances can't justify the extra HD cost per TV per month.

I'm paying $103/month for RR 5 Mbps service and the regular non-HD list of channels. I do like the broadband speeds, but for $20 less/month I can handle going down a tad speedwise. The only thing that would be a pain is the install time. A buddy of mine had AT&T come back THREE times to install Uverse in his Menasha, WI home. Their reps couldn't get a connection worked out and finally realized it was something to wrong in the large "refrigerator" boxes the U-Verse system was housed in.

If it came down to it, I'd just get the broadband (due to the freelance web work I do) and buy a high-end HD antenna and pre-amp to get all the HD stations over the air. I'd miss my news and sports channels, but due to hulu.com and other outlets I could live with it.

I am supposed to get an email notice when UVerse is available in Kimberly.

GBRulz
10-18-2008, 09:02 PM
My monthly cost will be $104. With that I get the DSL (3 mbps), HD/DVR receiver on three TV's with the U200 Package and HD service. Yeah, the U200 is nice, it's basically everything except the premiums.

It doesn't hurt that I get $200 cash back, either !

I wonder how many customers that TWC has lost due to this fiasco with Fox 11/LIN-TV. That really sucks, this will be the 3rd week now that TWC customers can't watch the Packer game. As it usually goes, corporate greed = customers get the shaft.

digitaldean
10-18-2008, 09:13 PM
My monthly cost will be $104. With that I get the DSL (3 mbps), HD/DVR receiver on three TV's with the U200 Package and HD service. Yeah, the U200 is nice, it's basically everything except the premiums.

I wonder how many customers that TWC has lost due to this fiasco with Fox 11/LIN-TV. That really sucks, this will be the 3rd week now that TWC customers can't watch the Packer game. As it usually goes, corporate greed = customers get the shaft.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind the U-200. The $200 pays for the extra cost above U-100 for about a year. How'd your install go?

Actually, we're in luck this week. Since it's a home game vs. an AFC foe, we can get the game on CBS (WFRV-Channel 5, 10 on TWC).

From what I've read, LIN TV is playing hardball in Indianapolis, Buffalo and a couple other NFL cities. They are affecting more than just the Packers broadcasts. I do find it curious, though that Charter and other companies don't have the same issue as TWC.

GBRulz
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Dean, my install date isn't until mid November. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. My neighbor had it installed this past week, took them about 5 hours. I guess it all depends on the condition of the existing cabling in your home.

As far as TWC goes, I don't quite understand what the problem is. Cable does not give you an option of whether or not you want to pay for local channels, where satellite does. So, they are already making you pay for something that until now, they weren't getting charged extra for. I'm sure the other stations are watching the situation closely.

It just boggles me that they are giving away free antenna's left and right, losing probably hundreds, if not thousands of customers, but refuse to pay the extra cost to carry the programming. Is it worth it to them? Many of my TWC friends said this was the last straw. First it was the NFLN, now this and they are just sick of it. I haven't had cable in years, but from what I understand, it's like $70 just for basic digital cable now. That's ridiculous.

Partial
10-19-2008, 01:31 AM

Does each TV have its own box or is it one common box for two TVs like Dish Network? I know The default box for UVerse has 4 tuners in it. I know not if they're all HD.

LL2
10-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I stopped in a AT&T store yesterday to see if I can get U-verse. Not yet. They said AT&T was having legal problems in my area, but should have it taken care of by now. They are expecting a big roll-out in Feb. so hopefully it will finally include my neighborhood. I want to get rid of Comcast.

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Does each TV have its own box or is it one common box for two TVs like Dish Network? I know The default box for UVerse has 4 tuners in it. I know not if they're all HD.

Yeah, I have the dual HD tuner with Dish currently, too. However, I was told that with UVerse, each TV must have it's own box. Each has DVR & HD capability. DVR is included, but to enable the HD it's $10 a month for 1 box or 8 boxes. I see pro's and con's to not having the dual receivers. Sure, it's now costing me $5 more a month because I have to pay for an extra box, but even with Dish's dual HD receivers, only 1 TV can get the HD signal. All of my TV's are HD, so yes, this is a big plus for me.

GBRulz
11-09-2008, 10:48 AM
keep your fingers crossed that my install goes well today! They will be there this afternoon and who knows how long I'll be without TV and internet. They said these installs can sometimes take 6-8 hours. ugg