PDA

View Full Version : Harry Sydney : enough of Favre's mind games with Packers

motife
07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Sydney Speaks! Enough already!
By Harry Sydney
mybrotherskeeperinc@hotmail.com
Posted Jul 4, 2008

Packer Report's Harry Sydney offers his thoughts on the rumors of Brett Favre's return to football.

As I was working and listening to my favorite sports radio station I heard something that almost made me fall out my seat. At first I thought I was hearing things, but all of a sudden I realized I heard that HE WANTS TO COME BACK!

So my first reaction was basically no reaction. To be honest with you, I actually half expected it because I hadn’t heard his name in a while, but talk about not wanting to be forgotten or replaced.

Sometimes I just wonder if Brett enjoys the off-the-field mind games as much as it appears? I remember time after time I talked about Brett holding this team hostage or I would talk about how everyone wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt even though he seemed to enjoy playing the puppet master time after time, but no one thought it could be possible. What about those of you who thought all Brett thought about was the team?

My question now is if everything reported is true, what do you think of what Brett is doing now? Do you think he is thinking about what is best for this organization or what is best for him? Do you think he thought of the ramifications? If he didn’t, let me try to explain just a few of the effects!

First, Ted Thompson has to decide on whether or not he can allow Brett to come back because the organization started to go in a different direction, so is he supposed to put on the brakes? How does he talk about being committed to Aaron Rodgers? Mike McCarthy already gave him the keys and said to him, “This is now your team, Aaron.” Now because Brett Favre decided he’s bored everything has to change?

How would this be Ted’s team if he lets Favre come back? Then again, what’s he supposed to say to Brett? Is Ted going to say, “Look, Brett, you are one of the greatest. You put us back on the map and you are a first ballot Hall of Famer, but I can’t let you come back.”

Ted can’t tell him to stay away or he would have years ago when Brett first started the “What am I going to do?” soap opera. Now let’s pretend that Ted does what he needs to and tells Brett, “Sorry, this is Aaron’s team.” Then what? Do the Packers try to trade him and look like fools if Brett has a great year and Aaron Rodgers struggles? What if Brett comes back and Aaron decides that he has had enough and needs a change of scenery and demands a trade and is granted one? Or when his contract is up just leaves? This organization would look like fools.

Speaking of Aaron Rodgers maybe what he said in Sports Illustrated had more meaning then any of us really knew. Maybe he is tired of putting his career on hold, especially since Brett seems to never go away. What about the other players? Aren’t they going to be forced to have to pick a side? That isn’t good for any team.

Could Ted Thompson release Brett? How could he just let Brett Favre walk away without getting something for him? Then what can you really get from him and who are you going to trade with?

These are all things that I really don’t think that Ted or Mike expected to have to deal with this summer. They had to be looking forward to a new era starting, but instead they have to be saying, “Here we go again.”

I remember seeing that press conference and I saw a man that said he had nothing left. I remember him saying all the right things. I bought it. I saw a man that appeared to have been satisfied with life and I will admit it I was truly touched just as many of you were. Today I am sad because I’m seeing another great one not get it. Sometimes it’s hard for all of us to understand when it’s time to say enough, but when one’s actions keep over-shadowing an organization’s then it’s time.

Brett needs to stop because I want to remember my old teammate and respect him for what he brought to the game. So I guess there is a reason those retirement papers never were sent to the league office, but, then again, ENOUGH ALREADY!

Harry Sydney is a former fullback and assistant

vince
07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Well said Harry.

bobblehead
07-04-2008, 12:16 PM
BF to the phins for Jayson Taylor. 2 guys with one season left, the phins get a veteran QB to mentor a young QB and teach him how to throw 29 picks on a bad team.

vince
07-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't think Brett would play for the Dolphins. In fact, Brett could simply threaten to pull a Jake Plumber and effectively eliminate the trade market for his services altogether. If he said that he'll stay retired if traded, then no one would give up anything for his rights.

Given that the Packers silence speaks louder than words that they are committed to moving on without him (and I think the time is right to do that), this is a bad situation that could get worse for the Packers.

They essentially would have to ask a favor of a team with whom they have a good relationship and trade his rights to that team (with an assurance that they won't turn around and release him) for someone who won't make either squad - thereby forcing his retirement and maintaining the status quo.

But if Brett decided to come back and play for that team, it would essentially be like releasing him since the Packers would get nothing for him, but they could control the situation and ensure that he doesn't go to the Vikings or Bears...

Whatever happens, unless Brett comes out and says he has decided to stay retired or unless the team decides to go back on its commitment to moving forward with Rodgers (after Brett refused to make a commitment to the team by putting in what it takes to maximize the chances of success and after the team spent two draft picks on replacing his spot), the team has a PR nightmare on its hands, a quarterback that will be bigtime on the defensive and a team whose otherwise great chemistry now has the potential to be fractured.

Thanks Brett. I've been as big a fan of yours as any, but you sure are screwing the team over bigtime this offseason with your continued waffling. Clear up the situation now by publicly announcing that you're adhering to your commitment to being retired.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Brett needs to stop because I want to remember my old teammate and respect him for what he brought to the game.

I find it assinine that so many people think they can dictate what Favre must do. So he changed his mind and wants to play some more. Big Crime. The selfish ones are those who put their own fantasies about how things need to play-out ahead of FAvre's right to make choices about his own life.

Tarlam!
07-05-2008, 04:17 AM
Brett needs to stop because I want to remember my old teammate and respect him for what he brought to the game.

I find it assinine that so many people think they can dictate what Favre must do. So he changed his mind and wants to play some more. Big Crime. The selfish ones are those who put their own fantasies about how things need to play-out ahead of FAvre's right to make choices about his own life.

Coupla comments. Firstly, the fans pay the bills around the NFL, so it's never asinine for a fan of a ball club to have an opinion.

Secondly, the story/rumor is having an effect on our ball club. As far as I can gather so far, it is a negative effect and it is at least dividing fans. Maybe even the players, but that is just speculation.

The facts today aren't really known to us. But if Brett decides to come out of retirement, it is hardly a choice that affects "his own life" only. It affects us all.

Patler
07-05-2008, 05:36 AM

Coupla comments. Firstly, the fans pay the bills around the NFL, so it's never asinine for a fan of a ball club to have an opinion.

Secondly, the story/rumor is having an effect on our ball club. As far as I can gather so far, it is a negative effect and it is at least dividing fans. Maybe even the players, but that is just speculation.

The facts today aren't really known to us. But if Brett decides to come out of retirement, it is hardly a choice that affects "his own life" only. It affects us all.

In a way, I agree with both HH's and Tarlam's remarks. No, it is not up to anyone to dictate Favre's decision, it is his to make. But yes, his decision does impact a lot of other people who have the right to express their opinions. However, Harry Sidney's rights as a former teammate are now no different than any other fan's rights. He has no "right" to remember Favre any specific way, and it is not Favre's responsibility to ensure that he does.

It really is no longer that big of a deal, in my opinion. Favre can do whatever he wants, and the Packers will do whatever they want to in response. If Favre wants to play, he can. But just like any other player under contract to the Packers, the Packers will decide if he plays for Green Bay. Favre will not decide that. If having him back is too much of a distraction to the team, the plans already made for the season, the plans made for the future or the roster for 2008; the Packers will move him off their roster one way or another. Sure, some fans will be very upset by that, but they will get over it, especially if the Packers' planning for the future has been good.

Colt fans never expected to see Unitas in another uniform. 49er fans never expected to see Montana or Rice in other uniforms. They got over it, and Packer fans will too if Favre plays for another team. There are many similar examples in all sports. This happens somewhat regularly when a team's succession plan and a veteran's retirement plan do not match perfectly.

Favre and Packer fans really have nothing to criticize the Packers for if they decide to move on without Favre, even if he wants to continue playing. He forced them to look for, bring in and groom a successor by appearing to be on the verge of retirement four years ago. Sure, any player can retire at anytime, but Favre fostered a feeling that his retirement was imminent. It would have been negligent for the Packer management not to take definitive steps to have a successor, especially when Favre made it very clear that he was strongly considering retirement at any time. If that plan has now bypassed Favre, he brought it on himself.

The Packers will make a business decision based on what they believe is in the best interest of the Packers, and that is exactly what they are obligated to do. Fans sometimes forget that for the players football is a job, and for coaches and GMs its a business to be run by making sound business decisions, not emotional ones.

An interesting aspect to this is that by "retiring" and coming back, Favre will have facilitated his release, if that is what happens. It will be easier for the Packers to release him in the present circumstances than if he had never announced his retirement in the first place.

Harlan Huckleby
07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
The one person who I have a little sympathy for in this saga is Aaron Rodgers. He is screwed any which way. Imagine the pressure on him if Favre is starting on another team?

But I won't cry any tears for AR. Maybe a little sniffle.

The least likely scenario is that Favre sits at home next fall. If he's been working out, he wants to play ball.

Patler
07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
The one person who I have a little sympathy for in this saga is Aaron Rodgers. He is screwed any which way. Imagine the pressure on him if Favre is starting on another team?

But I won't cry any tears for AR. Maybe a little sniffle.

The least likely scenario is that Favre sits at home next fall. If he's been working out, he wants to play ball.

Ya, the only way for Rodgers to come out OK with Favre on another team is if Rodgers has a very solid year, and the 24 interception/year version of Favre returns.

Scott Campbell
07-05-2008, 12:43 PM

In a way, I agree with both HH's and Tarlam's remarks. No, it is not up to anyone to dictate Favre's decision, it is his to make. But yes, his decision does impact a lot of other people who have the right to express their opinions. However, Harry Sidney's rights as a former teammate are now no different than any other fan's rights. He has no "right" to remember Favre any specific way, and it is not Favre's responsibility to ensure that he does.

It really is no longer that big of a deal, in my opinion. Favre can do whatever he wants, and the Packers will do whatever they want to in response. If Favre wants to play, he can. But just like any other player under contract to the Packers, the Packers will decide if he plays for Green Bay. Favre will not decide that. If having him back is too much of a distraction to the team, the plans already made for the season, the plans made for the future or the roster for 2008; the Packers will move him off their roster one way or another. Sure, some fans will be very upset by that, but they will get over it, especially if the Packers' planning for the future has been good.

Colt fans never expected to see Unitas in another uniform. 49er fans never expected to see Montana or Rice in other uniforms. They got over it, and Packer fans will too if Favre plays for another team. There are many similar examples in all sports. This happens somewhat regularly when a team's succession plan and a veteran's retirement plan do not match perfectly.

Favre and Packer fans really have nothing to criticize the Packers for if they decide to move on without Favre, even if he wants to continue playing. He forced them to look for, bring in and groom a successor by appearing to be on the verge of retirement four years ago. Sure, any player can retire at anytime, but Favre fostered a feeling that his retirement was imminent. It would have been negligent for the Packer management not to take definitive steps to have a successor, especially when Favre made it very clear that he was strongly considering retirement at any time. If that plan has now bypassed Favre, he brought it on himself.

The Packers will make a business decision based on what they believe is in the best interest of the Packers, and that is exactly what they are obligated to do. Fans sometimes forget that for the players football is a job, and for coaches and GMs its a business to be run by making sound business decisions, not emotional ones.

An interesting aspect to this is that by "retiring" and coming back, Favre will have facilitated his release, if that is what happens. It will be easier for the Packers to release him in the present circumstances than if he had never announced his retirement in the first place.

Excellent post.

Scott Campbell
07-05-2008, 12:52 PM
The one person who I have a little sympathy for in this saga is Aaron Rodgers.

I feel bad for the organization. They might not have drafted 2 QB's this year if Brett wouldn't have retired.

MJZiggy
07-05-2008, 02:43 PM

Hornung to the Saints...

Bretsky
07-05-2008, 03:12 PM
The one person who I have a little sympathy for in this saga is Aaron Rodgers.

I feel bad for the organization. They might not have drafted 2 QB's this year if Brett wouldn't have retired.

I actually think they still might have. They had in clear intention of going a QB in round 7; but they felt like one fell to them. They still might have grabbed him for PS development. Through six rounds nobody else wanted him.

Patler
07-05-2008, 03:47 PM

Hornung to the Saints...

Thankfully, we never had to see Hornung in a Saints uniform. After being selected in the expansion draft, he retired because of his neck injury.

Seeing Taylor play for the Saints and Forrest Gregg for Dallas was bad enough, especially Gregg in Dallas!

MJZiggy
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Maybe we didn't have to see him play, but there was enough gnashing of teeth and rendering of garments nonetheless

Patler
07-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Maybe we didn't have to see him play, but there was enough gnashing of teeth and rendering of garments nonetheless

.."rendering of garments"??? That's one I don't completely understand!??

MJZiggy
07-05-2008, 05:06 PM
'scuse me, typo. I meant rending as in tearing, not drawing... :oops:

TravisWilliams23
07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I remember Herb Adderly playing for Dallas and getting a royal screwing from Tom Landry. Landry's defense philosophy of playing your assigned area ONLY even if it meant the other team was successful on a play was a total contradiction of everything Adderly had been taught by Lombardi and Bengston about playing TEAM defense. Landry just finally told Adderly he wasn't going to play him and Tom didn't care if he showed up or not. Nice, very nice.

MJZiggy
07-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I just find that so odd because Lombardi and Landry ran the Giants together before they each went on to head coaching jobs.

TravisWilliams23
07-06-2008, 05:51 PM
MJ, there are some very good books about Lombardi and Landry on this subject. Vince ran the offense for the Giants and Landry ran the defense. During the 1950's Head coach Jim Lee Howell acted as a diplomat between the feuding Lombardi and Landry. Both men were HOF head coaches and deservedly so. Whenever the Packers and Cowboys met, it was always a prize for the winning coach. During those 1966 & 1967 championship games, there were 2 very crucial plays that went Green Bay's way. The players to a man say it was the way Lombardi prepared them for such occasions that enabled the Packers to prevail. Good Lord I'm getting old because I remember watching those games as a kid!

Patler
07-06-2008, 05:58 PM
MJ, there are some very good books about Lombardi and Landry on this subject. Vince ran the offense for the Giants and Landry ran the defense. During the 1950's Head coach Jim Lee Howell acted as a diplomat between the feuding Lombardi and Landry. Both men were HOF head coaches and deservedly so. Whenever the Packers and Cowboys met, it was always a prize for the winning coach. During those 1966 & 1967 championship games, there were 2 very crucial plays that went Green Bay's way. The players to a man say it was the way Lombardi prepared them for such occasions that enabled the Packers to prevail. Good Lord I'm getting old because I remember watching those games as a kid!

Some of us remember, and weren't kids at the time, if that makes you feel any better!

MJZiggy
07-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I actually only remember these details at the moment because I just finished Lombardi and Me. Very good read by the way. At the end, Hornung put in the text of some of Lombardi's more famous speeches and you may see bits of those coming to a sig near you...

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM

I disagree. I think that is the most likely scenario.

If Favre could name his team, then I would agree with you. However, he doesn't have that ability...nor do I see the Packers giving him that opportunity.

When Favre realizes that the only avenue he has to face regarding a return to the field is to show up at camp against the wishes of the Packer organization and force their hand at dealing with him, I hope he'll think better of it and stay home.

Harlan Huckleby
07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
When Favre realizes that the only avenue he has to face regarding a return to the field is to show up at camp against the wishes of the Packer organization and force their hand at dealing with him, I hope he'll think better of it and stay home.

nonsense. you are saying that Favre is doing something wrong by wanting to play, and will see the error of his ways. BS. You are letting your own feelings about the matter decide what is right or wrong. FAvre wants to play football, nothing wrong with that. Maybe the Packers don't want him, nothing wrong with that either. He will find a team, he's a very good QB in a league short of quality QBs.

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
nonsense. you are saying that Favre is doing something wrong by wanting to play, and will see the error of his ways. BS. You are letting your own feelings about the matter decide what is right or wrong.

Huck...I'm on your side here. I want Favre to return...I just doubt Thompson is going to let it happen.

I'm merely saying that I think Favre would back down if he saw that Thompson simply was not going to allow him to play for Green Bay in 2008...which I think is a real possibility given Thompson's past history in being a grade A hardballer.

I'm not convinced Favre wants to play for any contending team. He wants to play for the Packers IMO...and any talk from his camp on "trades" or "releases" are designed to pressure Thompson into letting Favre return.

Harlan Huckleby
07-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Huck...I'm on your side here. I want Favre to return...I just doubt Thompson is going to let it happen.

oh no. I'm the good guy, you're the bastard. Lets get that straight and keep it straight.

Chester Marcol
07-07-2008, 02:55 PM
These are all things that I really don’t think that Ted or Mike expected to have to deal with this summer.

If this is so, then TT is an idiot. Until whatever had to happen to finally be the nail in the coffin of Favre's career then there was always going to be a chance for this.

I remember seeing that press conference and I saw a man that said he had nothing left. I remember him saying all the right things. I bought it. I saw a man that appeared to have been satisfied with life and I will admit it I was truly touched just as many of you were. Today I am sad because I’m seeing another great one not get it. Sometimes it’s hard for all of us to understand when it’s time to say enough, but when one’s actions keep over-shadowing an organization’s then it’s time.

I also heard Favre say that he still can play and all evidence of the past season showed that as well. Anyone that heard that and didn't have doubts that this retirement would stick missed a big hint there.

I'm not arguing whether he should be brought back, traded, or released but I guess my point is more this shouldn't have been a surprise and perhaps should have had a plan in place for this very moment. Who knows. Maybe the plan was just what they seem to be doing. Ignore him so he'll go away.

If TT wants Favre to go away, just win him a Super Bowl. I bet he'd retire a winner in a heart beat.

Rastak - Is there a waiting list to get Vikings season tickets? I just might have to consider that if it pans out that way.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Rastak - Is there a waiting list to get Vikings season tickets?

Yes - 2.5 seconds. Get em while they're hot, because they'll cost you $3/game once the season starts.

woodbuck27
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM

If Favre could name his team, then I would agree with you. However, he doesn't have that ability...nor do I see the Packers giving him that opportunity.

The Packers won't trade Favre.

The Packers will wait and Favre has to merely show up and play. He'll have to compete with Aaron Rodgers for the strarting role. Here is where the TT factor comes in.

TT is a man that looks very carefully at the Cap money. If he see's that Aaron Rodgers will not cause us any liability a week or so into TC then he'll push for AR to be our number one and he's not going to payout $12.5 million dollars for Favre the back-up.

So Favre gets released because a trade is out of the question.

Favre then may sign with 'the vikings' or retire.

Gunakor
07-07-2008, 03:40 PM

The Packers won't trade Favre.

The Packers will wait and Favre has to merely show up and play. He'll have to compete with Aaron Rodgers for the strarting role. Here is where the TT factor comes in.

TT is a man that looks very carefully at the Cap money. If he see's that Aaron Rodgers will not cause us any liability a week or so into TC then he'll push for AR to be our number one and he's not going to payout $12.5 million dollars for Favre the back-up.

So Favre gets released because a trade is out of the question.

Favre then may sign with 'the vikings' or retire.

TT would trade him for a bag of peanuts to a team that won't hurt the Packers chances of reaching a SB before he releases him outright and allows Favre to sign with a divison rival. There is no way Favre is a Viking next year.