PDA

View Full Version : Wimbeldon

BallHawk
07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Anybody watch the match? Best tennis I've ever seen in my life. Wanted Federer to win but Nadal played fantastic. Back and forth the 3rd set onward.

Almost got tickets to go and I really wish I had. The atmosphere looked fantastic.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Why would any good, normal american care about two euro weenies?

Charles Woodson
07-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Anybody watch the match? Best tennis I've ever seen in my life. Wanted Federer to win but Nadal played fantastic. Back and forth the 3rd set onward.

Almost got tickets to go and I really wish I had. The atmosphere looked fantastic.
I agree, fantastic match. Had to admit i wanted Nadal to win. He plays older than his age.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-06-2008, 05:30 PM

I agree, fantastic match. Had to admit i wanted Nadal to win. He plays older than his age.

How so? His career is in the middle. Has been playing pro since he was 15.

More so, his game is all about power ground strokes...heavy, powerful topspin forehands which gives him a large margin of error.

And, defense..which he scores many points from...and from his athletic ability.

His game is not one of cunning, guile or anything to do with being older. But, to be fair...not many players are these days.

BallHawk
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM

BallHawk is a euro weenie.

BallHawk is also an american weenie.

BallHawk has dual citizenship. :D

Deputy Nutz
07-06-2008, 07:11 PM

BallHawk is a euro weenie.

BallHawk is also an american weenie.

BallHawk has dual citizenship. :D

You have dual citizenship in that other country. In the USA you are only considered an American.

Partial
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM

More so, his game is all about power ground strokes...heavy, powerful topspin forehands which gives him a large margin of error.

His game is not one of cunning, guile or anything to do with being older. But, to be fair...not many players are these days.

I actually agree. There is nothing old about Nadal. In my opinion, half his appeal is his wild "spanish" flavor if you will. He's really entertaining to watch.

That said, I have the match on the DVR downstairs. I'm pretty excited to get to watch it.

Is Federer past his prime? One could argue that this symbolizes a noticeable decline.

Charles Woodson
07-06-2008, 09:39 PM

I actually agree. There is nothing old about Nadal. In my opinion, half his appeal is his wild "spanish" flavor if you will. He's really entertaining to watch.

That said, I have the match on the DVR downstairs. I'm pretty excited to get to watch it.

Is Federer past his prime? One could argue that this symbolizes a noticeable decline.
I had this conversation earlier, about what the prime age is for tennis. For basketball, football, and soccer it tends to be around 26-30
I dont think Federer is past his prime though.
Lets take Pete Sampras real quick
Turned pro when he was 17 and played 14 years.
Retired at 31, Won his first title at 19, and his last at 31
Looking at his grandslam titles, although i never watched him, and like i said im just looking at stats, i think he hit his ""prime"" at 23 and ended his prime at 27. In each of those years he won at least 2 GS titles, except at 26, Although he won other ones (97,98,99,00,02) Although this is just one example, i still think that Nadal hasnt hit his ""prime"" but, he along with Federer are way beyond anyone else in the Tennis world.

Partial
07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
4-5 years ago Federer was simply unreal and pretty much untouchable. Either Nadal is that good, or Federer is slowing down.

He definitely has changed his game. He started out as more of a net player who was aggressive, but had solid groundstrokes when necessary. Now he is less aggressive I would say.

Charles Woodson
07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
4-5 years ago Federer was simply unreal and pretty much untouchable. Either Nadal is that good, or Federer is slowing down.

He definitely has changed his game. He started out as more of a net player who was aggressive, but had solid groundstrokes when necessary. Now he is less aggressive I would say.

I think its a little of both. What struck me while i was watching the match is there were a lot of points that Federer just gave up, unforced errors.

texaspackerbacker
07-06-2008, 11:45 PM

AMEN to that.

Nevertheless, I watched it. I was rooting for the clean cut normal looking Euro-wimp instead of the long-haired weirdo looking guy, but Oh Well. It was a good match to watch anyway.

At least we've got the Williams sisters, and they kicked the ass of all the Commie girls.

mraynrand
07-07-2008, 07:43 AM

AMEN to that.

Agreed. Yet curiously, Tyrone knows that Nidal's game " is all about power ground strokes...heavy, powerful topspin forehands which gives him a large margin of error. " So Tyrone must care about the 'Euro weenies after all - and/or is not a 'good, normal 'a'merican'.

LL2
07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I actually watched this tennis match and it was the first one in a long time and I was rooting for Nadal. It's been a while since I watched tennis, and been a while since the U.S. had good players (Agassi, Chang, Sampras). Andy Roddick is the only good U.S. tennis player that I know of.

texaspackerbacker
07-07-2008, 04:08 PM
LL2, you're ignoring half of the world of tennis.

Viva Venus and a big Salute to Serena!

Tyrone Bigguns
07-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I think its a little of both. What struck me while i was watching the match is there were a lot of points that Federer just gave up, unforced errors.

That was really the point. Federer made i think twice as many unforced errors as Nadal...it was ridiculous.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-07-2008, 05:59 PM

AMEN to that.

Agreed. Yet curiously, Tyrone knows that Nidal's game " is all about power ground strokes...heavy, powerful topspin forehands which gives him a large margin of error. " So Tyrone must care about the 'Euro weenies after all - and/or is not a 'good, normal 'a'merican'.

Both.