PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy : Veil of Secrecy?

motife
06-07-2006, 08:30 PM
McCarthy's new 'culture' cloaked in secrecy
Posted: June 7, 2006
Rick Braun

Green Bay - For just a fleeting moment, the thought arose that the Green Bay Packers could be a bit better in 2006 than all the experts are projecting.

With the drafting of linebacker A.J. Hawk and the signings of defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, cornerback Charles Woodson and safety Marquand Manuel, the potential exists for a very strong defensive unit.

Then something happens that makes you wonder.

When the Packers opened up their series of organized team activities last Wednesday, new coach Mike McCarthy met with reporters on the side of the Clark Hinkle field after the practice, as is the custom.

And what he said made one wonder if he has a grasp on this thing at all.

When asked about the numerous absences, McCarthy had this to say:

"We're in the process of changing a culture as far as how off-seasons have gone here in the past."

Well, they sure are. The question is whether it's a positive changing of the culture.

Among the absent from the opening practice were seven players who are strongly written in as starters and one more who is expected to compete strongly for a starting job.

The seven were: Cornerbacks Al Harris and Woodson; safety Nick Collins; Hawk; Pickett; wide receiver Donald Driver; and tight end Bubba Franks. The one player not yet written in as a starter, but expected to compete for a starting job was defensive tackle Corey Williams.

Hawk is not allowed to attend the camp until classes are finished at Ohio State. There's nothing the Packers can do about that. It's a National Football League rule.

But where were the others?

Harris is absent in an apparent gesture of unhappiness over his contract. McCarthy said Woodson was out of the country. Williams was stranded when his flight out of Little Rock, Ark., was cancelled on Tuesday evening. And how about this one: Driver apparently misread his schedule and thought the camp started Thursday. With the fact that the remaining weeks of the OTAs include off days on Wednesday, we can cut Driver some slack. He's never been a problem man before and he was on the field and ready to go on Thursday.

But the rest of the absentees - Pickett, Collins and Franks - were what McCarthy described as "guys missing with personal matters."

With Harris and Woodson not in camp, third-year cornerback Ahmad Carroll would have gotten a lot of work. Problem is, he didn't arrive until Thursday and was gone by Friday. He wasn't back in camp on Monday, either.

McCarthy has scheduled the 14 organized team activities over 3½ weeks. To have perfect attendance for voluntary workouts from all his veterans over such a prolonged portion of the off-season simply isn't realistic. With training camp opening up in the last week of July, June is the one month players - especially players with kids of school age - can schedule such things as family vacations, charity events and the like.

Wide receiver Rod Gardner made his first appearance on Monday after having to miss the first three workouts while he completed the closing on the sale of 39 property lots.

Safety Mark Roman also made his first appearance on Monday, saying he made a commitment for the end of last week before the 2005 season had even ended.

Simply put, it's difficult to believe that all is well when so many players are in and out. McCarthy talked about changing a culture. But recall that two years ago it was a big deal when one player - Cletidus Hunt - wasn't in attendance.

Then there was the curious case of quarterback Brett Favre.

On Friday McCarthy said Favre would be at the workouts all of the following week. But there was no sign of Favre on Monday. He wasn't on the field, he wasn't in the locker room. He was said to be somewhere in the Lambeau Field complex, but no one was saying for sure.

McCarthy was not scheduled to meet with reporters after the Monday practice. When reporters requested that McCarthy at least address where Favre was on Monday, McCarthy eventually sent word that he would address the situation after the Tuesday morning practice.

Finally, late in the day the Packers informed the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Todd Rosiak that Favre spent the morning in a weight-room workout and was excused from practice. But why did getting that simple nugget of information take such pulling of teeth?

It's not like there was some strategic advantage to holding back such a simple bit of information.

Something seems amiss. And until the veil of unnecessary secrecy is lifted, it will be hard to convince anyone that all is well.

Green Bud Packer
06-07-2006, 08:38 PM
this story is geting old and overblown.

woodbuck27
06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
" Something seems amiss. And until the veil of unnecessary secrecy is lifted, it will be hard to convince anyone that all is well."

Something amiss? The veil of unnecessary secrecy?

Sounds very intriguing but really. . . .

Isn't it really wonderful to be a Packer fan.

Plain n' simple we have a malcontent, and a couple of slack ass's on OUR team. Because they are penciled in starters, they can and are getting away with it and getting it thrown at the overall progress of the OTA'a and all Packer personnel and fans.

This should be viewed as the time when those few rotten apples don't spoil the whole barrell.

SD GB fan
06-07-2006, 08:58 PM
haha this is funny. its as if GB is now an evil regime or something. its also interesting that the absent players are starters. good time if not the only time for some young players to step up and play.

pbmax
06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Its too bad this isn't a serious review, because the question he raises is a good one. If he is changing how offseason's are run, can this approach be successful with 14 OTAs in June?

Do players really schedule themselves for family time in June?

Sherman was reported to have 8 OTA, at least 4 of which were in June. Was this a better approach?

Was the schedule late, and how late was it compared to last year?

Instead of cluck clucking about a culture of secrecy, he could have tackled these legitimate issues head on instead of just mentioning them in passing.

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Was the schedule late, and how late was it compared to last year?

Several of the players said they got the schedule late, and varied quite a bit from previous years. KGB said he didn't remember ever missing a practice, but that he had something scheduled for this time.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2006, 12:25 AM
this story is geting old and overblown.

you can say that again.

"And the morning sun is yet to cross my hood ornament." Neil Young

Willard
06-08-2006, 12:55 AM
It seems to be getting worse. I heard nobody showed up on Wednesday!!

MadtownPacker
06-08-2006, 01:44 AM
Welcome to PR Willard.

Well M3 sure a bad guy for not telling all these reporters everything he is doing and everything his players tell him. M3 is a real jerk if you ask me. He should let them know everything that it going on, good or bad (but they will only print the bad), so that they can stay employed.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2006, 08:04 AM
hey, Willard was a rat before it was cool to be a rat!

Pack0514
06-08-2006, 08:09 AM
I agree, this whole thing about who is showing up and who is not showing up is starting to annoy me. Yes I sucks that everyone is not there but these things are NOT MANDITORY. How many of you out there would show up and work on the weekends for free if you did not have to?

And before you say that if you were getting paid 5 million dollars per year you would.... you should think about this.....

I am guessing that 5-10 years ago you were making less money than you are now. 5-10 years ago you were probably saying to yourself that if you got $10,000 more a year you would be willing to do more for the company. Well now you might be getting that $10,000 more per year but are you really more willing to do more?

Rastak
06-08-2006, 08:15 AM
I agree, this whole thing about who is showing up and who is not showing up is starting to annoy me. Yes I sucks that everyone is not there but these things are NOT MANDITORY. How many of you out there would show up and work on the weekends for free if you did not have to?

And before you say that if you were getting paid 5 million dollars per year you would.... you should think about this.....

I am guessing that 5-10 years ago you were making less money than you are now. 5-10 years ago you were probably saying to yourself that if you got $10,000 more a year you would be willing to do more for the company. Well now you might be getting that $10,000 more per year but are you really more willing to do more?

Well if my boss implied I would not be getting promoted anytime soon if I didn't show up you'd see me there. As to your last point, different people will answer that question differently. Some people are driven and do care about their company while others just do enough to get by. I HAVE seen both, they both do exist.

Pack0514
06-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Well if my boss implied I would not be getting promoted anytime soon if I didn't show up you'd see me there. As to your last point, different people will answer that question differently. Some people are driven and do care about their company while others just do enough to get by. I HAVE seen both, they both do exist.

I agree, I happen to be of the driven type but that is beside the point..... Like you said, both exist and that why some people are at OTAs and some people are not. Do we (not you) need to continue the bitch about it? I realize at this point there isnt much else to talk about but it is getting old.

I would love to have everyone there but I'm sure guys like Al Harris and Charles Woodson will be up to speed in no time. They are vets and understand the game. What are they going to be taught that they havnt already seen. I know some people out there are going to say they need to gel together and I agree but it will come. Lets face it, we are not a playoff team..... THIS YEAR!

Deputy Nutz
06-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Are OTAs new this year? Or has the mass sports media decided to report on them this year and create swirling news about the players that don't show up for these OTAs and treat it like they were holding out in training camp. This crap is all way overblown. Here is an idea for these so called sports writers, write a story on the Brewers, or the World Cup for that matter and stop blowing smoke up our ass.

Tony Oday
06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Well the sports world actually kinda sucks for the writers right now.

NHL: Without Rolle the Oilers have no chance nothing to write about
NBA: Shaq and the Heat Vs a team without a center? Ya done
MLB: THe Roid thing has wound down and Barry Beat Ruth already
World Cup: hasnt started yet and isnt HUGE in the US like the rest of the world.

Face it football is on the top and now everything will be reported from the guys that miss these OTA's to Brett Favre is using a different kind of athletic tape.