View Full Version : Peter King SI expects Favre to unretire within 10 days

motife
07-07-2008, 11:17 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/07/07/favre/index.html

Nightmare in Green Bay: The saga of Brett Favre is far from over
Keeping, trading, releasing Favre all bad options for Packers
Vikings and Bears make most sense as landing spots for Favre
Relationship between Packers management, Favre is deteriorating

Brett Favre is putting the Packers in a tough position by waffling on his decision to retire.

We are early in what I can guarantee will be a very tumultuous month in the recurring Brett Favre will-he-or-won't-he saga, and what I can tell you for sure is this: No. 4 wants to play football again, and the Green Bay Packers desperately do not want him to.

Will he play? I don't know. I don't think he knows. He has, however, told coach Mike McCarthy he wants to return.

The issue is going to be pressed soon. I fully expect Favre's agent to send a letter to the Packers within the next 10 days, stating that Favre, 38, wants to be taken off the National Football League's reserve/retired list. At that point, the team will have no choice but to re-admit the league's most accomplished statistical quarterback ever back to football, and general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy will have a decision to make that you can be sure is keeping them up nights. They can take Favre and his $12.8-million cap number back onto the team and give him his starting job back, they can trade him or they can release him.

Every one of those options makes the Packers wretch. I've been told an edgy McCarthy told Favre, in their most recent phone conversation a couple of weeks ago, the legendary quarterback would put the Packers in a tough spot by reneging on his March 6 retirement. Favre understands. But I don't think it's going to stop him from doing what his body tells him to do -- play football again.

In the past few years, Favre has begun to prepare for training camp by throwing to high-school receivers at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss., and when he's done that in the past month, his arm has felt pain-free and strong. That, plus the fact he hasn't found anything else to do in retirement other than the chores on his 465 acres in Hattiesburg, is making him think he wants to play football again.

And one other thing: I believe as Favre looks back on his decision to retire, he thinks part of the reason he made it was he felt it would have been easier to retire and return if he changed his mind than to blindly say he was going to keep playing -- only to find out in mid-August his heart was not in it. When he made the decision a month after the Super Bowl, he announced it with certainty. But the further he's gotten from the season, the more he realizes he still wants to play. The 2007 season was one of his three or four best as a pro. This wouldn't be a broken-down Johnny Unitas slinking back for an 18th year in San Diego. This would be Favre, in his 18th season, coming off a year when he set personal records for completion percentage (.665) and yards-per-pass-attempt (7.8).

McCarthy has also told Favre he worries about him tarnishing his legacy. The one thing I don't believe Favre understands yet is the tumult which will greet his return to the Packers, or to another NFL team. There are Packer fans who have moved on, and wish he would do the same. He doesn't realize fully -- yet -- that Brett Favre returning to the Packers would bug a slew of Packerphiles who wish he'd make a decision and stick with it and ride off into the sunset with his glory intact. Because he insulates himself from much of the football world in Mississippi, I'm sure he doesn't realize the impact that playing for another team would have on his bleed-Packer-green fandom. Playing for any old NFL team would be crime enough to many of his faithful, but playing for a rival like Minnesota or Chicago would be like Johnny Damon spurning the Red Sox for the Yankees. Times five.

All of this scares the living tar out of McCarthy and Thompson. They've happily proceeded through the off-season preparing the 24-year-old successor to Favre, Aaron Rodgers, to take his place, and they don't want their grand plan interrupted now. It's quite understandable. Rodgers has shown promise, and the Packers have him signed through the end of the 2009 season. Can you imagine what Rodgers would think if McCarthy came to him this week and said, "I know you've been working hard getting ready to start for us, and we've promised you the starting job, but we're going to bring Brett back for one year. Or two. Or three.'' If I were Rodgers, and I'd already waited through three years without starting a game, and Favre returned, I know what I'd tell McCarthy. That's fine, Mike. But I will never sign another contract with the Packers. After 2009, whatever happens, I'm gone.

That's not the only reason why McCarthy and Thompson are scared. There are two more, actually.

One: Say they accept Favre back, then try to trade him. They're going to get, what, a third-round pick from Tampa Bay or the New York Jets or Washington for him? They'll forever be known as the men who sent the greatest Packer packing. And there's no guarantee Favre would agree to go to just any team if he chooses to come back. Don't put it past him and agent Bus Cook to refuse to report to a team Favre doesn't want to play for.

Two: Say the Packers allow Favre his freedom, which I think ultimately is what Favre wants if he doesn't get his starting job back in Green Bay. Overwhelmingly the team that makes the most sense to sign Favre for a couple of years is Minnesota. The Vikings are training Tarvaris Jackson to be their quarterback of the future, but he's an unproven commodity with promise at best. Their offensive coordinator is Darrell Bevell, who was Favre's quarterback coach for three years, from 2003-05. They have a close relationship. Not Steve Mariucci-Favre close, but Favre has a lot of respect for him. Imagine Favre in purple. It's an absolutely vomitous scenario for the Packers, imagining Favre playing for their arch-rivals -- and imagining Favre charging out of the tunnel at Lambeau Field for the opening game of the 2008 season. Lambeau Field, Monday Night Football, the night Favre was supposed to have his number retired for the Packers.

Which is why I believe the Packers, even though they desperately want Favre to stay retired, will take him back if he presses the issue. They'll try to mollify Rodgers somehow, which I think will be difficult. Impossible, maybe. They'll hope Favre changes his mind and goes back into retirement sometime in August ... which, if he shows up for the first day of camp, I will guarantee you he will not do. But they'll grit their teeth and smile for the cameras when he returns, all the while cursing his flip-flopness.

The smartest thing for the Packers to do right now, if Favre continues to charge ahead and insist he wants to play, would be for McCarthy and Thompson to meet with Favre in the next 10 days and try to convince him not to play. I don't think it would work, particularly because I don't sense Favre is feeling all warm and fuzzy about Packer brass right now. But Favre's an emotional sort.

One story that's never been fully told is why Favre returned in 2006, after he was convinced he'd thrown his last pass. A good part of the reason was a visit Thompson made to Hattiesburg, urging Favre to play one more year and to give then-rookie coach McCarthy a chance. The Packers, Thompson told Favre, really needed him. And on that spring day in 2006, Favre decided he'd return. If they can't convince him to stay retired, I believe they'd have a chance -- a chance -- to convince him to accept a trade, which I think would be best for all parties. Favre and Cook could list a slew of teams that would be agreeable to him, and the Packers could tell him, "We're not trading you to a team in the division.''

That seems fair. The Packers want to get on with their lives. What isn't fair to them is for Favre to be able to say he wants to pick up and go play for Minnesota or Chicago, both quarterback-needy teams.

But I don't expect that to happen. I'm told Thompson is not returning Cook's calls -- and what possible benefit would that have, other than Thompson fearing Cook would leak their conversations to favored friends in the media? -- and the Packers recently sent an intermediary to Mississippi to try to talk some sense into him. All that does is alienate Favre from the franchise further.

Final point: I keep hearing Favre was pushed into retirement by the Packers demanding an early decision this off-season, or by Thompson not showing him enough love. He might feel that way, but I think it's nonsense. Favre stood up in front of the world six weeks after he played his last game and said he was finished. If he's not, the Packers are not to blame. He is. He'll have to take the consequences for returning, either in Green Bay (where he shouldn't expect a hug from Rodgers) or elsewhere. But right now, I believe the heart is telling Favre to play, and what the heart wants, the heart usually gets.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
It's an absolutely vomitous scenario for the Packers, imagining Favre playing for their arch-rivals -- and imagining Favre charging out of the tunnel at Lambeau Field for the opening game of the 2008 season. Lambeau Field, Monday Night Football, the night Favre was supposed to have his number retired for the Packers.

A good writer sucks you into the article. In this case, I can almost taste the vomit.

I'd like to personally thank Peter King for the mercy of not using the Bears as an example, as a seizure surely would have followed.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Final point: I keep hearing Favre was pushed into retirement by the Packers demanding an early decision this off-season, or by Thompson not showing him enough love. He might feel that way, but I think it's nonsense.

Well, I guess I'm not completely alone for thinking this.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
One story that's never been fully told is why Favre returned in 2006, after he was convinced he'd thrown his last pass. A good part of the reason was a visit Thompson made to Hattiesburg, urging Favre to play one more year and to give then-rookie coach McCarthy a chance. The Packers, Thompson told Favre, really needed him. And on that spring day in 2006, Favre decided he'd return.

So Peter King doesn't believe in the conspiracy theory. He says "on that spring day in 2006" like a prominent national sports journalist that independently confirmed his original source. IMO.

swede
07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
"And one other thing: I believe as Favre looks back on his decision to retire, he thinks part of the reason he made it was he felt it would have been easier to retire and return if he changed his mind than to blindly say he was going to keep playing..."

This is either stupid reasoning or a stupid assumption about someone else's reasoning.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 12:05 PM
"And one other thing: I believe as Favre looks back on his decision to retire, he thinks part of the reason he made it was he felt it would have been easier to retire and return if he changed his mind than to blindly say he was going to keep playing..."

This is either stupid reasoning or a stupid assumption about someone else's reasoning.

Agreed.

packers11
07-07-2008, 12:06 PM
K so lets do a countdown : ... today is day 10... :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
K so lets do a countdown : ... today is day 10... :lol:

I agree with the 10 days. Everyone involved will eventually get tired of the frenzy, and take the next steps to move on.

retailguy
07-07-2008, 12:13 PM
So, reading all this drivel over the past few days leaves me pondering one point, and really only one point.

What does Brett Favre really think about Mark Murphy, Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and the rest of the Packers organization?

Does he like them, want to play for them, or does he despise them, not respect their decision making, or their ability to run a team?

I have no idea. :?:

But I agree with the "where there is smoke, there is fire" perspective. Something is happening, and I think figuring out where that smoke is coming from requires answering my question.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 12:28 PM
What does Brett Favre really think about Mark Murphy, Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and the rest of the Packers organization?

Does he like them, want to play for them, or does he despise them, not respect their decision making, or their ability to run a team?

Funny you should ask that RG. Brett recently wrote a song about this very question. It's called "Ode To Retirement Decisiveness"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ag8J2NMYmc

swede
07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
So, reading all this drivel over the past few days leaves me pondering one point, and really only one point.

I have no idea. :?:

But I agree with the "where there is smoke, there is fire" perspective. Something is happening, and I think figuring out where that smoke is coming from requires answering my question.

RG, I've forgotten where you stand on the worship/despise TT continuum, but you raise a really good point. If, as all speculation and unnamed sources now indicate, Brett is hell-bent on unretiring it may truly mean that TT and MM through actions and lack of communication created an unstable situation with Brett. Such a thing is entirely possible.

It is also possible that Brett is the source of the poor communication and poor decision-making that has led to this craziness.

If he can come back and play and everyone is fine with that then I'm fine with that.

I just don't think it's gonna be that easy.

ND72
07-07-2008, 12:33 PM
It's an absolutely vomitous scenario for the Packers, imagining Favre playing for their arch-rivals -- and imagining Favre charging out of the tunnel at Lambeau Field for the opening game of the 2008 season. Lambeau Field, Monday Night Football, the night Favre was supposed to have his number retired for the Packers.

A good writer sucks you into the article. In this case, I can almost taste the vomit.

I'd like to personally thank Peter King for the mercy of not using the Bears as an example, as a seizure surely would have followed.

what a great and truthful story.

Harlan Huckleby
07-07-2008, 12:35 PM
put the Packers in a tough spot by reneging on his March 6 retirement.

Changing your mind is "reneging"!? What BS. Its his life, if he wants to play football, so what? I know it is uncomfortable for the Packers, but they are hardly going to suffer.

Harlan Huckleby
07-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Brett is hell-bent on unretiring it may truly mean that TT and MM through actions and lack of communication created an unstable situation with Brett. Such a thing is entirely possible.

It is also possible that Brett is the source of the poor communication and poor decision-making that has led to this craziness.

I think these negative theories are completely unfounded. The most likely explanation is that Favre simply changed his mind about wanting to play football. There is no incompetence, or treachery, or craziness, or poor communication.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Ok, I'm gonna need some help with these lyrics. Here's what I got so far:

Ode To Retirement Decisiveness

By Brett Favre
Scott Campbell - Ghost Writer

Ted, you've got to let me know.......

Should I play or should I go.........

A-Rod's career is on the bubble........

The gals really like my stubble........

Ted, you've got to let me know.........

Should I play or should I go........

Bus Cook says please, please, please......

He's right back down upon his knees......

Four percent is all he got.........

Repping McNair don't pay squat........

That's as far as I got. I know, I know. I suck.

Packnut
07-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Uh Peter, if Rodgers can't deal with Favre coming back, BB will be waiting in the wings. Rodger's "feelings" are the least of my concerns at the moment.........

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Rodger's "feelings" are the least of my concerns at the moment.........

I agree. I may feel sorry for Aaron's current situation, but in terms of putting the best team on the field in 2008 there is no doubt in my mind who I want the starting QB to be. However, I would like Aaron's role to be expanded even if Favre does return...because I feel it is best for the team, not Rodgers specifically.

LL2
07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I wish all this Favre un-retiring crap would just go away. Why doesn't Favre just go live on Sportscenter and say if he's playing or not. If he wants to un-retire he really put the Packers in a bad position. I wouldn't want to be M3 or TT right now. Favre is getting annoying and is being a media whore for stirring this shit up!

Harlan Huckleby
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I wish all this Favre un-retiring crap would just go away. Why doesn't Favre just go live on Sportscenter and say if he's playing or not. If he wants to un-retire he really put the Packers in a bad position. I wouldn't want to be M3 or TT right now. Favre is getting annoying and is being a media whore for stirring this shit up!

lets assume he wants to play, that seems likely. What's he supposed to do, have a press conference and announce he's available to date again? What if nobody calls? How humiliating. He is probably working behind the scenes to find a team. Anybody would do the same.

Packnut
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Rodger's "feelings" are the least of my concerns at the moment.........

I agree. I may feel sorry for Aaron's current situation, but in terms of putting the best team on the field in 2008 there is no doubt in my mind who I want the starting QB to be. However, I would like Aaron's role to be expanded even if Favre does return...because I feel it is best for the team, not Rodgers specifically.

Hell, I feel sorry for him also, but like you I just wanna win and win now. I think when it's all said and done that BB will end up being a better NFL QB anyway-just a hunch.

Packnut
07-07-2008, 12:58 PM

lets assume he wants to play, that seems likely. What's he supposed to do, have a press conference and announce he's available to date again? What if nobody calls? How humiliating. He is probably working behind the scenes to find a team. Anybody would do the same.

Yep, the last thing Favre can do is go public now without anything settled in GB.

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
I wish all this Favre un-retiring crap would just go away.

Why? Is it causing your personal income to decrease? Is it causing physical harm to your body? Is it injuring someone you love?

People act like this Favre deal is akin to watching someone torture a loved one. Get over yourself...if you don't like it, stop reading about it and stop visiting this website and it will all "just go away".

See how fucking easy that was?

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Wow. Pay the receptionist on your way out.

Thank you Dr. Leaper.

:lol:

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Thank you Dr. Leaper.

That's OK...no need to pay me.

I'm a volunteer worker, which is what allows me to berate some of you jackasses properly. If I had to stay within the context of some kind of legal arrangement, I'd be screwed.

retailguy
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
RG, I've forgotten where you stand on the worship/despise TT continuum, but you raise a really good point.

Ted? Well, I'm not a fan. However, I must say that I do respect the job he's done in the last year. He's amassed some good talent, and I was looking forward to seeing if that translated to success without a HOF QB. I truly didn't know what would happen under those circumstances.

Now, I'm hopelessly confused as to who starts in training camp, much less on opening day.

If, as all speculation and unnamed sources now indicate, Brett is hell-bent on unretiring it may truly mean that TT and MM through actions and lack of communication created an unstable situation with Brett. Such a thing is entirely possible.

I think it may be simpler than this. It's also plausible that Ted & Mike "assumed" that he'd come back, and therefore, no coddling or prodding was necessary.

Then when he didn't decide to come back, they moved on...

It could be that simple.

Brett is definitely guilty of indecisiveness and worse, failure to stop speculation 5 years ago, by stating definitively that he was going to continue for "x years", or even "indefinitely".

Brett is way too willing to talk about how he "feels". Unfortunately for all of us, how we feel changes frequently. Feelings aren't something to base important life changing decisions upon. I'm sure Brett is figuring that one out now. He should have figured that out 5 years ago, but I guess the next best time is today.

If he can come back and play and everyone is fine with that then I'm fine with that.

I just don't think it's gonna be that easy.

If I were Aaron Rodgers there would be NOTHING anyone could say to ease the pain of this.

It won't be that easy...

PackerTimer
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Final point: I keep hearing Favre was pushed into retirement by the Packers demanding an early decision this off-season, or by Thompson not showing him enough love. He might feel that way, but I think it's nonsense.

Well, I guess I'm not completely alone for thinking this.

You are definetly not the only person who thinks this.

I thought this was a good article. I think it fairly describes the situation the team is in.

LL2
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Thank you Dr. Leaper.

Good one!

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Good one!

Believe me LL2...you don't really want it to go away.

Try being a fan of a team that hasn't had a QB worth a damn in the last 20 years. Try being the fan of a team that is the laughingstock of the league.

I'll take 50 years of "what-ifs" from Favre over 1 day as an Arizona Cardinals fan.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 02:35 PM
I'll take 50 years of "what-ifs" from Favre over 1 day as an Arizona Cardinals fan.

Ahem. What about this particular day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcA-NEhWVfI

Packnut
07-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Good one!

Try being a fan of a team that hasn't had a QB worth a damn in the last 20 years. Try being the fan of a team that is the laughingstock of the league.

The one common thread the Favre haters have is that the great majority of them are young enough to have not lived through the hell of the 70's and 80's. They have been spoiled by the "Favre" years and have no clue what it was like to be the laughing stock of the NFL for 20 freakin years.

Each and every one of the Favre bashers can:

KISS MY MOTHERFUCKING ASS!

I'm done with the stupidity here. See ya when training camp starts.......

(Oh and I'll try not to let the door hit me on the way out)

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM

Harlan just left to buy some Tic Tacs.

Zool
07-07-2008, 02:47 PM

My only questions is....who's mom?

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Hey, I'll give the Cards credit for finish off a Vikings team that had quit around week 8. I cheered for them for a couple minutes.

Their franchise remains pathetic though. I wouldn't wish being a full-time fan of them on anyone.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 02:52 PM

Hey, I'll give the Cards credit for finish off a Vikings team that had quit around week 8. I cheered for them for a couple minutes.

Their franchise remains pathetic though. I wouldn't wish being a full-time fan of them on anyone.

True.

And we need to show Ras that video. :lol:

Lurker64
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I agree. I may feel sorry for Aaron's current situation, but in terms of putting the best team on the field in 2008 there is no doubt in my mind who I want the starting QB to be.

I agree with you, but I have to say that I think that in terms of putting the best team on the field in 2009, 2010, and 2011 it would probably be best that we start the Aaron Rodgers era ASAP.

That's why I'm so conflicted about this whole debacle. I really wish that what Favre was going to do in July was what he said in March, whatever his final decision is.

texaspackerbacker
07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
So yet another media asshole comes out and spews some crap. Who cares! The guy is a God damned know-nothing with an agenda. If that agenda ain't overtly to stir up trouble for the Packers, it is at least to promote himself with no regard for the harm to the Packers.

Screw him and the horse he road in on--and all the rest of the stinking media bastards!

The Leaper
07-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Someone stole Tex's meds...quick, FedEx him a new stash!

gex
07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Everyone who wants to turn the page, start the Rodger's era, etc..etc...
What are the odds that A-Rod can't do it, what if he sucks. 30%,40%, 50%. Then what? Do we go with Brohm? Maybe get a retread free agent QB? I didn't know there was so many gamblers out there.

PackerTimer
07-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Everyone who wants to turn the page, start the Rodger's era, etc..etc...
What are the odds that A-Rod can't do it, what if he sucks. 30%,40%, 50%. Then what? Do we go with Brohm? Maybe get a retread free agent QB? I didn't know there was so many gamblers out there.

The same could be asked if we welcome Favre back. What if he doesn't lead us to the promised land and he decided, for good, that this will be his last year. What do we do? Go with Brohm, get a tired old veteran? You might as well face it, if the team welcomes Favre back they probably kiss AROD goodbye.

Joemailman
07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure if the locker room is big enough for Favre and Rodgers now. If they bring Favre back, I think Rodgers has to be traded. Now that they've drafted Brohm, that's not such a far-fetched idea. Plus, given the age difference and salary difference, it might be easier to trade Rodgers than Favre.

Ballboy
07-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Who cares about all this?

Why really are the Packers in a bad spot?

Best think for TT and MM to do is come out next week, remind us all if any OTA's are left and when camp starts. Then its up to Brett....if he shows up, he can play if not, I guess he is retired. Meaning: He comes back under the Packers terms, not Brett. He needs to be here every day.

The cap hit means nothing to the Packers - we all know TT isn't going to use it anyway. Make Brett play all through camp and in preseason games. Ironically, the best thing that could happen to the Packers is Brett gets hurt(not that I'm wishing that).

Drafting Brohm and Flynn would've happend if Brett retired or not. If Rogers says he won't resign, then we are in the same boat like today: We don't really know what Rogers/Brohm/Flynn can do.

RashanGary
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
The Packers are in a good position, not a bad one. They have a choice to bring back one of last years best QB's or go on with the guy that they've groomed. A few weeks ago they didn't have the choice to bring Favre back.

Rodgers will be hurt. He'll get over it, it's buisness.

If Thompson doesn't want Favre back he'll trade him or cut him. He really doesn't care what the fans say or do. Really, he just has an extra option right now and the PR department has a headache to deal with. I hope they do not take Favre back. Let him go somewehre else and learn a new offense. Good luck. People will bitch and complain here, but their voices are meaningless.

The Shadow
07-07-2008, 08:02 PM
"What are they gonna do - cut me?"

Somewhere Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker must certainly be having a chuckle over all this.

retailguy
07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure if the locker room is big enough for Favre and Rodgers now. If they bring Favre back, I think Rodgers has to be traded. Now that they've drafted Brohm, that's not such a far-fetched idea. Plus, given the age difference and salary difference, it might be easier to trade Rodgers than Favre.

Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier today too, Joe. If I were Ted (and thank God I'm not), then what I'd want from Favre is a 2 year commitment, with the added responsibility of training/educating Brohm too.

Having Brohm start in the beginning of year 3, would be just as good as where we are today with Rodgers, and Rodgers probably fetches an as good, if not better, draft pick than Favre does right now.

I might be open to that idea, but, I was looking forward to Rodgers starting, I thought it was time... But, Ted and MM are screwed here if Favre wants to push it. Either way, the downside sucks.

Justin, not so sure your boy has "balls of steel" and doesn't care what the fan base thinks, but we shall see. I also don't think that this is a "clear cut decision" - FOR ANYONE INVOLVED.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
........then what I'd want from Favre is a 2 year commitment, ........

Man, fat chance that'll happen. If we bring back Favre there are no guarantees that we won't be subjected to the same crap next summer. It's probably worth it - even though it's annoying.

retailguy
07-07-2008, 09:35 PM
........then what I'd want from Favre is a 2 year commitment, ........

Man, fat chance that'll happen. If we bring back Favre there are no guarantees that we won't be subjected to the same crap next summer. It's probably worth it - even though it's annoying.

Agree, but thats one reason I'd WANT it, because this drama shit has got to end.

Oh, and the evil thought I just had.....

Suppose for instance that Favre really does dislike Thompson and the current Packers organization. (Disclaimer - I HAVE NO IDEA that this is true, but lets just speculate for a moment, OK?)

Now, suppose that all along what he really wants is OUT of GB and resuming his career somewhere other than GB. Seems to me that his best "odds" of getting out of his contract are to retire in March, and then wait for Rodgers to be annointed the "heir apparent", and then, in July, start talking about a comeback in hopes of just getting released...

Hmm. It would suck if this were the case, but sadly, it's plausible.

And Scott - NO comeback without a 2 year commitment. If not, well, Rodgers needs a good solid backup. He could fill the role Culpepper turned down better than Culpepper could. Although it'd be a bit more expensive. :P :wink:

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Now, suppose that all along what he really wants is OUT of GB and resuming his career somewhere other than GB. Seems to me that his best "odds" of getting out of his contract are to retire in March, and then wait for Rodgers to be annointed the "heir apparent", and then, in July, start talking about a comeback in hopes of just getting released...

That's exactly what I meant in the Bus Cook thread.

retailguy
07-07-2008, 09:38 PM

That's exactly what I meant in the Bus Cook thread.

We have a Bus Cook thread? How'd I miss that?

Partial
07-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Scary thought. I just can't see it though.

retailguy
07-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Scary thought. I just can't see it though.

Hopefully, you're right. However, you must admit, it's a lot more plausible than some of the crap being spewed out there in the media. In here too, you know?

BTW - Isn't it about time for my good buddy SOV to weigh in on this with a Nascar bookmobile thread?

This one is ripe for his sense of humor.... How about a purple bookmobile? :wink:

Partial
07-07-2008, 11:22 PM
But why would anyone want to leave a team that is A) extremely popular, B) Phenomenal talent as a team, C) Great personal gain from the surrounding talent helping you put up big numbers, etc.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
But why would anyone want to leave a team that is A) extremely popular, B) Phenomenal talent as a team, C) Great personal gain from the surrounding talent helping you put up big numbers, etc.

Could feel slighted - grass is always greener mentality.

retailguy
07-08-2008, 07:52 AM

because he "dislikes" the management? How many people do you know who hate their job because they hate the authority above them?

That's one theory, I'm sure there are others...

mission
07-08-2008, 08:46 AM
If I were Ted (and thank God I'm not),

yeah, thank god!!

because you're ... uh.... errr.... retailguy!!

:whist:

retailguy
07-08-2008, 08:54 AM

yeah, thank god!!

lol - good one. :P

I wouldn't want to deal with this crap that Ted has. He loses in almost every decision he makes....

And who said personality wasn't important? :wink: His aloof nature is kicking his ass right now. People don't feel like they "know" him, so they don't know whether or not they like him. Except for his groupie Justin... :twisted:

cpk1994
07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Good one!

The one common thread the Favre haters have is that the great majority of them are young enough to have not lived through the hell of the 70's and 80's. They have been spoiled by the "Favre" years and have no clue what it was like to be the laughing stock of the NFL for 20 freakin years.

Each and every one of the Favre bashers can:

I'm done with the stupidity here. See ya when training camp starts.......

(Oh and I'll try not to let the door hit me on the way out)I hate to break it to you, but there are those that want Favre to go away(like me) that have been through and know very clearly what it was like in the 20 years before. You argument is a tired one and also BS. Just becuase the Packers sucked at QB for the previous 20 years doesn't give Brett a free pass for acting like an attention starved 12 year old drama queen. I cheer for the GREEN BAY PACKERS. Nowhere in that name is the words "Brett Favre". He needs to STFU and go away.

mission
07-08-2008, 09:44 AM

yeah, thank god!!

lol - good one. :P

I wouldn't want to deal with this crap that Ted has. He loses in almost every decision he makes....

And who said personality wasn't important? :wink: His aloof nature is kicking his ass right now. People don't feel like they "know" him, so they don't know whether or not they like him. Except for his groupie Justin... :twisted:

ya im jus fuckin around...

you're right and this is by far the toughest situation he's been in ... im curious to see the next move

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I cheer for the GREEN BAY PACKERS. Nowhere in that name is the words "Brett Favre". He needs to STFU and go away.

Well, Aaron Rodgers told all of us to STFU and go away...so I can see why you have fallen in love with him.

Zool
07-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I've told quite a few people here that, but they still love me. Its a thick skinned group.

cpk1994
07-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I cheer for the GREEN BAY PACKERS. Nowhere in that name is the words "Brett Favre". He needs to STFU and go away.

Well, Aaron Rodgers told all of us to STFU and go away...so I can see why you have fallen in love with him.I don't care what Aaron Rodgers said to the fans i.e. me. ALso, Im not sold on Rodgers but am willing to give him a chance. This has nothing to do with him. THe Packers could have Peter Tom WIllis or Blair Kiel back there, still doesn't change the fact that I just want Favre to STFU and go away.

Gunakor
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Well, Aaron Rodgers told all of us to STFU and go away...so I can see why you have fallen in love with him.

Actually, Rodgers told the fans to get on board. If the fans can't get on board then they should STFU IMO. For those who ARE on board with Rodgers, don't get your panties in a bunch. He wasn't talking to you anyway.