PDA

View Full Version : UGLY ARTICLE- BF Welcome in Chicago

Bretsky
07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080703-brett-favre-bears-packers-morrissey,1,2339731.column
Brett Favre might be welcome in Chicago

Rick Morrissey

Chicago-area residents have been forced to watch recent TV ads promoting Lambeau Field in Green Bay as a wonderful place to visit.
On the other hand, what if he came out of retirement to play for the Bears? More than a few of you would change your names to Curly Lambeau for that, right?

Favre, the future Hall of Famer, apparently is struggling with his March retirement announcement, specifically the part of the announcement in which he said he was, you know, retiring. Sources have told ESPN.com that Favre is feeling the urge to play again and has told coach Mike McCarthy of his "itch" for competition.

One gets the distinct feeling the Packers would prefer Favre deal with the problem by visiting a dermatologist's office, not team headquarters.

We in Chicago don't understand this, for the simple reason the Bears have been without a quarterback since 1794 B.C.

If the Packers decide they no longer need a 36-year-old quarterback who led them to the NFC championship game last season, the Bears might want to take a gander at this Favre fellow. They might want to put together a caravan of Jerry Angelo, Lovie Smith and Brian Urlacher and head for Mississippi. They might want to tell Favre how much fun it would be to finish his career in Chicago. He might just appreciate being appreciated.

The Packers have sent Favre negative vibes, his family members say.

"He has felt like that for the last couple of years, that the Packers didn't really want him back," his mother, Bonita Favre, told a Milwaukee TV station. "But nothing has been said. You know it has just been bits and pieces throughout the last couple of years, things that would come up, and it just didn't seem like they went out of their way to keep him. It was kind of like, 'You're done.' "

And maybe Favre, because of that reception, is enjoying the thought of general manager Ted Thompson squirming right now.

As I pointed out when Favre announced his retirement, the guy would be quintessential Chicago if it weren't for the green-and-gold jersey. He's tough and talented, hardworking and hard-living. When I wrote that column, it was meant as a eulogy for a brilliant quarterback. It wasn't meant as a sales pitch.

This is.

Hey, Brett, if the Packers don't love you, maybe the Bears will. They faced you 32 times and lost 22 of them. Familiarity breeds respect.

The hardest part in sports isn't saying goodbye. It's saying goodbye and staying away.

There's not always a crystal-clear, right time for retirement. Players always say they will know when it's time to go, but the truth is that they're rarely offered an epiphany. And Favre still can play at a high level.

At what point does he start looking self-centered? Or did he pass that point miles ago? With the idea that they had to plan for a post-Favre future, the Packers used a first-round pick in 2005 to select quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Less than two months after Favre announced his retirement, the Packers took two quarterbacks in the 2008 draft—Louisville's Brian Brohm and LSU's Matt Flynn.

OK, that looks bad now. Favre should have thought it through better. But it's OK for him to change his mind.

Football's different than a lot of sports. Plans are made and implemented with military-like rigidity. When Michael Jordan told the world "I'm back," the Bulls greeted him with open arms. When Favre wavers, the Packers seem to be put off by it. They had a plan in place, for goodness' sake!

A Packers spokesman said the team had no reaction to the news of Favre's apparent waffling. But you have to figure some serious eye-rolling commenced. The Packers are in an awkward position. Their starting quarterback of the last 16 years, a huge fan favorite, might want to play again. They apparently would like to move on.

Favre could help a lot of teams.

The Bears, for example. Or the Packers, if they came to their senses. Here's hoping they don't.

If Favre signals his intention to play in 2008, the Packers can put him on their roster or release him. He has three years left on his contract and is due to make $12 million in the upcoming season. That's a lot of money. He's still a lot of quarterback compared with what the Bears have.

If the Bears believe they're a quarterback away from competing for the division title, they should do it.

If the Packers are crazy enough to let Favre go, let them. And let Favre enjoy extracting his revenge. Now what city would offer the most in the way of payback

MJZiggy
07-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I wonder if he'd feel the same if he knew Favre was 38...?

oregonpackfan
07-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I wonder if he'd feel the same if he knew Favre was 38...?

...and soon to be 39 in October...

retailguy
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I think I'm going to be sick... :o

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 11:00 PM
They might want to put together a caravan of Jerry Angelo, Lovie Smith and Brian Urlacher and head for Mississippi.

They better hope Brett doesn't greet them like Joe Horn greets Columbians.

Scott Campbell
07-07-2008, 11:04 PM
As I pointed out when Favre announced his retirement, the guy would be quintessential Chicago if it weren't for the green-and-gold jersey.

Yeah, when I think of Chicago, I think of fishin, and huntin and Southern drawls. :bs:

This writer sucks. He's lazy, and a moron - not a good combination.

SMACKTALKIE
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
If you think that article is ugly try this one.

I for one really like the idea :wink: .......but highly doubt it will happen.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_9781992?source=most_viewed

TOM POWERS: Minnesota Vikings and Brett Favre could be a great fit
If he wants to play for a Super Bowl title, he could do worse than join the Vikings if Green Bay releases him.

Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 07/04/2008 12:45:35 AM CDT

Let's summarize all the reports and rumors flying around: Brett Favre "itching" to play. Packers cool to the idea. Favre talks to head coach about possible return. Packers cool to the idea. Favre asks for release. Packers cool to the idea.

What does this tell us, other than the Packers are really cool? It says a hall of fame quarterback could be seeking short-term employment on the open market.

Let's say that, somehow, Favre secures his release. It isn't a stretch to say he would look to sign with a team just a veteran quarterback away from the Super Bowl.

Hmmmm, know any teams like that? Anybody come to mind? Wait a minute, wait a minute! It's coming to me ...

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and snort. But think about it. Your very own Minnesota Vikings are the perfect fit for Brett Favre, who would want to win immediately. No other team comes close, except the Packers, and they don't want him.

Imagine, the Vikings really would be Super Bowl favorites. Plus, Tarvaris Jackson could learn from the best for a year or two. And Zygi Wilf could rev up the bulldozers. He would be the area's man of the year for working so diligently toward bringing a championship to Minnesota.

I've mentioned the possibility of Favre ending up with the Vikings to several people. The response is unequivocal. "Never happen." Why? "It just won't." OK, but why?

That's when the listener disgustedly waves his hand in the air and turns to walk away.

Favre may have sniffled and wiped his eyes, but he never fully committed to retirement. Now it appears he wants to play again, despite his tepid denial Wednesday. Yet the Packers finally turned the page and are committed to Aaron Rodgers.

Earlier this year, Favre said he might come out of retirement if Rodgers were injured. Now, he's apparently ready to play whether Rodgers is healthy or not. Obviously, the Packers' front office is in a tricky situation. There could be a fan mutiny if they let Favre go.

Favre wouldn't return as a backup. Even if he would, his roughly $12 million salary — which again would count toward the cap if he un-retires — makes him a rather expensive backup. That $12 million wouldn't be a sticking point with potential suitors. If Favre is released, the two sides could negotiate an amount both are comfortable with. That's probably much less than $12 million. I don't think Favre would be coming back for the money, anyway. If he comes back, it's to win.

I know, I know — never happen. That's like Field Marshal Rommel defecting to the Allies during World War II. Yet former Packer Darren Sharper is here with the Vikings, and the world continues to spin on its axis.

Why would Favre sign here?

1) A chance to win another title.

2) Familiarity with the division.

3) After years of being the King of the Bad Weather, he probably wouldn't mind an ice-free environment inside the Dome in his old age.

4) One last challenge.

Why would the Vikings sign him?

1) A great chance to win their first title.

2) They'd create an incredible buzz by pulling off the biggest blockbuster since the Jared Allen trade.

3) A jump-start to stadium talks. After all, what more could an owner do after bringing in Allen and Favre?

4) Ummm, they need a proven quarterback.

What could go wrong?

1) First and foremost, the Packers could be unwilling to take the public relations hit.

2) The organization could release him with the stipulation that he signs with a team in the other conference.

3) The Packers could keep him and shove Rodgers to the bench again.

4) The 38-year-old quarterback pulls a groin while walking the dog, ending all comeback hopes.

Favre says this is all just a rumor. However, whenever enough people are chattering about something, it usually means there is some truth to it. There's probably all sorts of stuff going on behind the scenes.

The Packers should do the right thing and give the kindly old gentleman what he wants: his release. I know of another team that could really use him.

Tom Powers can be reached at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 01:13 AM
why are so many people convinced that Favre has no trade value?

Lurker64
07-08-2008, 02:50 AM
I'm not sure why Favre would want to come back if it wasn't to play for the Packers. I mean, a year or to away from (or a few months past) retirement, would you really want to go to a new team and learn a new system and develop chemistry with a whole new group of players? As good a player as he is, a lot of Favre's recent success has been due to the chemistry he's had with his receivers. He's had big completions by changing the play just by sending significant glances to Driver who runs the changed route. I don't think he'll be able to do that after spending just a training camp with somebody. Especially since Favre has been with one team for the past 16 years and never really got settled with his first team. It's not like he has much in the way of experience moving to a new team in a new city with a whole new group of players.

I'm still thinking the outcome of this is that if Favre feels that he's welcome and appreciated by the Packers he'll be playing in Green and Gold next year. If he's not, he'll miss football but stay on the tractor. At the very least, if the Packers made it clear to him that he would be traded or released if he reports, it would make the most sense for him to stay home no matter how severe the "itch" is.

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 07:47 AM

Because he's almost 40?

Sure, we could trade him...but we aren't going to get a bunch for him. I would venture to guess that the most we could expect would be a 5th round pick...or another 34+ year old that only has a couple years left.

The only good thing about trading him would be ensuring that he doesn't go to the Vikings or Bears.

Scott Campbell
07-08-2008, 07:50 AM

I for one really like the idea :wink:

It is kind of ironic that Viking fans think that a life long Packer is their ticket to finally winning a Lombardi trophy.

mraynrand
07-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Because Dan Devine died six years ago.

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 10:29 AM

Because Dan Devine died six years ago.

:D

SMACKTALKIE
07-08-2008, 11:46 AM

It is kind of ironic that Viking fans think that a life long Packer is their ticket to finally winning a Lombardi trophy.

Hey dude you said it not me. I said I like the idea and doubt it will happen, nothing more.

mngolf19
07-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Hey dude you said it not me. I said I like the idea and doubt it will happen, nothing more.

I don't think he is that ticket, but I also think he could improve the team in the short run.

I also don't see it happening but probably for a different reason. I don't think Chilly would want to sit Jackson for another year. Whether a good decision or not.