PDA

View Full Version : Would it REALLY bother you, who BF plays for?

Patler
07-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Assuming Favre is not back with the Packers, apart from not wanting to lose to them, do you really care if Favre plays for the Vikings or Bears?

I don't. If you do, why?

Partial
07-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I'd be mad for the Vikings because they'd be my Superbowl favorite.

HarveyWallbangers
07-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Assuming Favre is not back with the Packers, apart from not wanting to lose to them, do you really care if Favre plays for the Vikings or Bears?

I don't. If you do, why?

Yes. Of course. Why? Are you kidding me? If you are a fan of the Packers and Favre, the reason is pretty obvious. The Bears and Vikings are our big rivals. Why would I want perhaps the most popular player in franchise history helping our biggest rivals?

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 01:02 AM
it would break my heart if he ended up working for Mexicans. I know an expansion to Mexico City has been discussed.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 01:03 AM

I don't. If you do, why?

EVen a trouble maker like myself wouldn't want to see FAvre on the Bears or Vikings. That would be too much. I'm fine with him playing anywhere else.

Patler
07-08-2008, 01:18 AM

I don't. If you do, why?

EVen a trouble maker like myself wouldn't want to see FAvre on the Bears or Vikings. That would be too much. I'm fine with him playing anywhere else.

Does it bother you that Sharper and Longwell are with the Vikings? Just curious.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 01:21 AM
no, i don't care about Sharper and Longwell. That's just a black guy and a kicker. only kidding.

I am not as sentimental about Favre as most people. But seeing him on the Vikings or Bears would be awful.

mmmdk
07-08-2008, 03:02 AM
Favre with the Bears or Vikings would feel very, very wrong and could possibly tarnish his legacy forever but it is strange that I/one should feel this way - but I would.

Stay on yer tractor and enjoy life, Brett.

Tarlam!
07-08-2008, 03:55 AM
With all the players I've seen leave in FA (and there haven't been many) I've been OK. Think Wahle, Ahman Green even Sharper/Longwell. No issue, wish them the best. I hoped McKenzie and Walker would fail miserably, Only because they treated my club the way that they did.

But with this Favre fellow, it is different. I started following and being an ardent fan, only because the company I worked for at the time is based in Racine, WI. I had no idea of #4.

But, I firmly believe my passion wouldn't have ignited to the point it did if it weren't for him. Oh, I would have still been a fan due to the other fans and the club tradition. But, he made me passionate enough to spend 4.5 k just to see a single game last year (I know I coulda flown cheaper and stayed in a tiny little room and saved about 3 k. That's not the point).

If Brett plays in another uniform I will be heartbroken, but I would wish him a winning season and continued health. It would break my heart, though.

Despite that, I am a passionate Packer fan. And, if my Packers defense lines up against him, I hope they fuckin' crush him. Figuratively speaking.

RashanGary
07-08-2008, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't mind. I have less of a conection to Favre than Green. Green acctually showed up and worked his ass off every off season. When the Packers got a new coach and new offense Favre still spent his off seasons sitting on his tractor. It helped get A-rod ready and Favre had the power to pull that stuff. Now, I'm just ready to see him gone. I'll care less with Favre than I did with Green.

sheepshead
07-08-2008, 07:29 AM
YES

Scott Campbell
07-08-2008, 07:42 AM

I don't. If you do, why?

Is this some kind of trick question?

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Because putting Favre on the Bears or Vikings will make it very difficult for Green Bay to go to the playoffs in 2008. You are bettering a division rival at the expense of your own team.

If you are truly a Packer fan, why would you not care about your team's playoff chances next season?

Spaulding
07-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Yes, it's pretty much a lose-lose situation. If he goes to another team (not the Bears or Vikings) and produces we wonder what if he was still leading the Pack. If he flops in my eyes it hurts his legacy. Granted he had a phenominal career but most often remember the last thing a player does and not necessarily the body of their work.

If he goes to the Vikes or Bears the above gets magnified as well as hurts our chances for the playoffs. Plus seeing him help either team sends me into instant gag reflex.

mission
07-08-2008, 08:36 AM
patler i hope you're just stirring the pot instead of being a complete dumbass but either way, i guess the motivating factor for this thread is of no worry to me.

i really wouldnt mind it too much if he played for an AFC team... it has fun story potential down the road (overkill im sure) but the vikings or bears? are you kidding? no fucking way.

that said, favre's diva-isms make me think he'd LOVE to take out rodgers (or try to) as close to "home" as possible.

but yeah it would bother me.

just cuz my ex, honey mae, pulled a butcher knife on me in my sleep and that was that... four years down the drain cuz im not trying to risk losing my dick in midsleep. I woke up and grabbed that shit last minute (she cant be so slow!) ....

im over her. completely. it's no big deal.

but if one of my boys is trying to fuck her, then we're gonna have a big problem. i have plenty of other "old girls" that they can have... ill even call them for em... not my girl though.

you dont get to hit that. you dont get to know how good THAT shit feels... i deserved it. not you.

get it?

this no different.

Scott Campbell
07-08-2008, 08:47 AM
just cuz my ex, honey mae, pulled a butcher knife on me in my sleep and that was that... four years down the drain cuz im not trying to risk losing my dick in midsleep. I woke up and grabbed that shit last minute (she cant be so slow!) ....

but if one of my boys is trying to fuck her, then we're gonna have a big problem. i have plenty of other "old girls" that they can have... ill even call them for em... not my girl though.

you dont get to hit that. you dont get to know how good THAT shit feels... i deserved it. not you.

get it?

This looks like a letter penned by OJ to Ron Goldman.

Yeah, I get it. She's still your possession.

mission
07-08-2008, 08:53 AM

get it?

This looks like a letter penned by OJ to Ron Goldman.

Yeah, I get it. She's still your possession.

ok, good. i wasnt sure anyone would get it.

it's a really crazy and difficult concept to grasp.

just like favre retired a packer. that's that.

stfu now brett.

god damn.

if you didnt look annoyed to be playing the giants and nonchalantly throwing interceptions into the overtime air then maybe i wouldnt be being such an asshole about all this but as far as im concerned, you dont have my favorite fucking team as your best interest.

im a PACKERS fan.

if you aint on my team... well, yalready know!

retailguy
07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Yes Patler. It would trouble me deeply. I wasn't even a 49er fan and it troubled me seeing Joe Montana in a Chiefs uni.... Some things just ain't right. :?

AV David
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
It would bother me if he played for the Vikings. It would bother me less if he played for the Bears. It wouldn't bother me at all if he played for Detroit.
He is becoming a cancer for the team. I am most of all a Packer fan. Trade him for the best offer, except to Chicago or Minnesota.

That being said, I think Minnesota is his most likely destination if he is released. MM and Brad Childress run essentially the same offense. So does Philadelphia, where Childress came from. Philadelphia doesn't need him. You cannot become proficient in a new/different offense in training camp. It pretty much takes a full year. When you consider the need to become familiar with the new RBs and WRs, I don't think #4 can be that successful in the first year with a new team. The Vikings are liley to give it a try because the threshold , with Jackson as their QB, is so low. Even a struggling Brett Farve is better than what they have now.

My guess is they trade him to an AFC team if he insists upon unretiring. I hope he stays retired for the sake of the team and for the sake of his legacy. He is making himself look like a self centered, insecure brat. The last straw was having is mother act as his surrogate. that was pathetic.

Fritz
07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm on the opposite side - if Favre came back and played for da Bears or the Queens, I wouldn't be terribly bothered because that would mean that TT snookered the team he traded Favre to. You know TT isn't going to let Favre go to a division rival, but if he did the team he traded with would have to basically pull a Herschel Walker.

So I wouldn't mind seeing Favre in one of those uniforms because it'd mean that TT got a boatload of high picks.

Secondly, I'm surprised so many people assume that if Favre were with the Queens they'd automatically be better than the Pack. My reasoning is simple: there have been many threads about Favre needing receivers he felt "comfortable" with - he goes to the same wells over and over (Freeman, Walker, Driver) baecause he's established a working relationship, a "feel" for guys he's played with. So if he goes to Minny, what makes people think he's going to instantly bond with Bernard Berrien.

Oh, wait, I forgot: they have Fergie. Oh no!

Ultimately, though, if Favre comes back I don't see TT letting him go to an NFC team, much less a division rival.

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Secondly, I'm surprised so many people assume that if Favre were with the Queens they'd automatically be better than the Pack.

I'm assuming the Vikes are roughly equal with the Packers with Rodgers and Jackson as the respective QBs.

While Favre will face obstacles if he moves to any team other than Green Bay, the bottom line is that he is a hell of a lot better than Jackson as a QB...and just the THREAT of Favre makes Adrian Peterson that much more scary. Sure, he can be contained if you keep 8 in the box...but you can't keep 8 in the box against Favre, regardless of who the receivers are.

Bossman641
07-08-2008, 12:05 PM
If Favre went to the Vikings or the Bears I would be disappointed. Other than that, it wouldn't really matter to me. I'd prefer him to stay retired, but if he really has the itch send him to the AFC preferably.

mngolf19
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm on the opposite side - if Favre came back and played for da Bears or the Queens, I wouldn't be terribly bothered because that would mean that TT snookered the team he traded Favre to. You know TT isn't going to let Favre go to a division rival, but if he did the team he traded with would have to basically pull a Herschel Walker.

So I wouldn't mind seeing Favre in one of those uniforms because it'd mean that TT got a boatload of high picks.

Absolutely no chance the Vikes trade with Pack. None. He only goes there if released. And it's possible that Favre would try to force that release.

Gunakor
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM

I don't. If you do, why?

Does it bother you that Sharper and Longwell are with the Vikings? Just curious.

Sharper and Longwell have never been Packers icons. They've never had nearly as strong a bond with Packer Nation as Favre has. And on top of all of that, Sharper sux and Longwell couldn't hit a 50+ yard FG in the clutch for Green Bay if his life depended on it. I am fine with those two players dressing in purple. Favre is a whole 'nother story.

Freak Out
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
It would drive me crazy if old #4 was playing for any other team than the Packers.

Carolina_Packer
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Mike and Mike went through the entire league and speculated who might be interested in Favre and who Favre might be interested in going to (with the assumption the team is not a long ways away from contending) and here is the list as I recall it:

AFC
Buffalo Bills
Houston Texans

NFC
Washington Redskins
Chicago Bears (although I don't see them as contenders in the short-term)
Minnesota Vikings (the Darrell Bevel connnection)
Carolina Panthers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (the Gruden connection)

The other teams you can name either have an established QB (whether or not they are a winning team, ala Oakland, Tennessee, etc. and are not going to bring in a guy like Brett and sit their high-priced guy) or are not near contention.

If all the people worked up by this (including the Packer management) can step back from the cliff for a moment and settle down you can reasonable say, all Brett did was hold a press conference to say he was going to hang it up. Granted, nobody likes to be jerked around, and the team would love to know the future with certainty. If you think the A-Rod gives us a better chance to win this year (and every team/fan should live year to year when there is a chance to win) than Brett, then you are entitled to your opinion. I happen to feel that Brett gives us a better chance to win now. Oh, but it might hurt A-Rod's development and he might want out of Green Bay. So what? He's earned little respect to date because he's had little opportunity. Let's not give A-Rod a sense of entitlement just because he was given a chance for a few months to think he's going to be the man. If you read statements made by him when reporters asked what it was like to finally be the man during off-season minis and OTA's, he pretty much downplayed it, saying this is what it was like during his first few years because...Brett was often excused and he was the one taking the majority of the snaps with the first team. So, what has really changed to date? Brett had a press conference, cried for all to see and then (possibly) changed his mind? Big deal. My bottom line...can he win more than A-Rod this year? I think he can. Hell, if he finally gets hurt or loses it, you can always put A-Rod in. They are both well-paid and paid by the team, so they ultimately have to do what the team wants, which hopefully is to find a way to win games and not stroke either of their egos. It's not a give up and a stroking of Brett's ego to have him back as a starter over A-Rod. It's making a statement that this is the guy who gives us the best chance to win this year. Again, when you have a good team built up like the Packers do, do you want to hand the keys to A-Rod and take your chances or do you want the man to be someone who has done it before and likely can still do it? I'll take Favre over A-Rod and we are better off with him, even with the soap opera. All is forgiven if we are staring at the playoffs again. A small price to pay for what Favre has meant to Green Bay and could mean this year again. A-Rod, you just have to learn more patience if the Pack brings Brett back and stop feeling entitled to anything other than a backup's paycheck (and a nice one at that).

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
If the Packers traded Favre to, say, Houston, what would prevent Houston from just moving him to the Vikings if they offered a higher draft pick?

(I doubt a trade that specifies a player can't be retraded would be legal.)

I just wonder if this is something TT has to be concerned about.

sharpe1027
07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
While it is fun to speciulate, if Favre comes back, I say he plays for Green Bay. I don't see any other outcome as likely. The fans, the players and the bean counters are generally all for Favre coming back. We also know that MM is a fan of Favre and has to feel more comfortable with his job if Favre is at the helm (same probably could be said for TT who will be judged on the Packer's record and playoff results).

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
While it is fun to speciulate, if Favre comes back, I say he plays for Green Bay. I don't see any other outcome as likely. The fans, the players and the bean counters are generally all for Favre coming back. We also know that MM is a fan of Favre and has to feel more comfortable with his job if Favre is at the helm (same probably could be said for TT who will be judged on the Packer's record and playoff results).

you might be right. I don't see it this way, i think TT has replanned the finances and team around Rodgers and wants to move on. But really, there are good arguments both ways, guess that;s why they call it a dilemma.

sharpe1027
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
you might be right. I don't see it this way, i think TT has replanned the finances and team around Rodgers and wants to move on. But really, there are good arguments both ways, guess that;s why they call it a dilemma.

Could be. My question is what has been done by TT, financially and planning wise, that makes you think this? I guess the only thing I see is the drafting of two QBs, but they could have used one of them even if Favre hadn't retired.

PackerBlues
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
It wouldn't bother me a bit to see Favre playing for another team. As long as that is what Favre wants.

All along, people have been saying that Thompson has just been doing whats right for the team. I still say bullshit. Thompsons actions have shown all along, that he has from day one, looked forward to the departure of Brett Favre.

If Brett is now making Thompsons life/job difficult for him right now, then I applaud him, because Thompson had it coming.

privatepacker
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
The problem with favre coming back is that this year's offense has been tweked to A-Rod's strength. May not sound like a big deal but the time already spent in OTA and mini-camps would be negated and put us back at square one for training camps. I think the reason Favre isn't welcomed anymore has to do with his reluctance to study and go through the nuances of the gameplan that has been established. He gets by on skill and nerve. Last year he put a lot of extra work into the program and it showed. I don't think he was willing this year. A-Rod is ready to do it and I bet TT and MM like their chances better with him at full dedication vs. Favre's skill and nerve on game days.

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
A-Rod is ready to do it and I bet TT and MM like their chances better with him at full dedication vs. Favre's skill and nerve on game days.

Then they are both dumbasses. To think Rodgers can make up for Favre's 16 years of experience under center as a starter by going through a few OTAs and a month long training camp is foolishness.

I'm sure McCarthy has developed some wrinkles to use with Rodgers...but to suggest that the team will be hopelessly lost because Favre wasn't at OTAs (where he never did anything of substance the last 6-8 years anyway) is also foolishness. It is called ADJUSTING...and that is something every NFL team needs to be able to do.

Besides, having a good working plan for Rodgers is necessary...he should see more playing time in a reserve role to keep Favre fresh and healthy, and you never know when injuries can occur. What has been done to this point should not be viewed as a lost cause IMO. To me, Rodgers should be a key part of the plan this year whether or not Favre returns.

The Shadow
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
If we could get a 3rd round pick for Favre, it wouldn't matter to me where he winds up.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
FAvre is going to be 39 this fall, right?

At some point, Rodgers is going to surpass Favre. Maybe TT thinks that crossing point is likely here.

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
If we could get a 3rd round pick for Favre, it wouldn't matter to me where he winds up.

I would agree. We ain't gonna get a 3rd round pick for him though.

privatepacker
07-08-2008, 03:42 PM

I would agree. We ain't gonna get a 3rd round pick for him though.

If people are willing to give a 2nd. for Taylor then a 2nd for Favre would be worth it. I'm in the camp of let him go and let's move on to the next era and get what we can from him.

oregonpackfan
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, it would bother me to see Favre starting for division rivals Bears or Vikings. I just don't think TT would let that situation happen.

I just feel bad for Favre wanting to come back at age 39(in October). He supposedly retired after having a great season and leading the Packers to a near win in the NFC Championship game. Take pride in virtually going out "On Top."

Bretsky
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
I would like Favre to return to GB; but if he plays for the Bears or Vikes I can still live with that. It would mean we had our chance and chose for him not to return. As long as the brass is willing to live with that decision then on my end where he goes does not matter that much.

Bretsky
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Yes, it would bother me to see Favre starting for division rivals Bears or Vikings. I just don't think TT would let that situation happen.

I just feel bad for Favre wanting to come back at age 39(in October). He supposedly retired after having a great season and leading the Packers to a near win in the NFC Championship game. Take pride in virtually going out "On Top."

If you enjoy the game, and want to keep playing, he should return. There is only one way to go out on top; part of me was a bit surprised Favre would allow himself to go out with that final toss

Carolina_Packer
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
The problem with favre coming back is that this year's offense has been tweked to A-Rod's strength. May not sound like a big deal but the time already spent in OTA and mini-camps would be negated and put us back at square one for training camps. I think the reason Favre isn't welcomed anymore has to do with his reluctance to study and go through the nuances of the gameplan that has been established. He gets by on skill and nerve. Last year he put a lot of extra work into the program and it showed. I don't think he was willing this year. A-Rod is ready to do it and I bet TT and MM like their chances better with him at full dedication vs. Favre's skill and nerve on game days.

TT may want to move on, and may have excellent reasons for wanting to do that that some could get behind, however, if you shake off the annoyance of his indecision, you still have to admire his passion and desire to play and then judge whether he still has the ability to play, and play winning football and lead the team. I see no reason why he can't. Should they not do it because it might irk A-Rod? No. He's not yet running the team, so he should feel no entitlement. The team should still do what they think will produce the best results. If Brett had announced he was coming back late last year, or early into the off-season, would most be OK? I think so. Then the only difference is he held a press conference and then did a 180 and changed his mind. That fact does not change whether he can still do it, and produce wins, which should be the ultimate measurement. The hemming and hawing is annoying and inconvenient, but losing games or having a fragile QB would be even more annoying to the team/fans.