PDA

View Full Version : SOME PACKERS EXPECT TO GET “OUR QUARTERBACK” BACK

Pacopete4
07-08-2008, 02:17 PM
SOME PACKERS EXPECT TO GET “OUR QUARTERBACK” BACK
Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2008, 2:04 p.m. EDT

With reports of Brett Favre planning to send a letter within the next week or so seeking to be placed on the Packers’ active roster, there has been much discussion and speculation about whether Favre wants to play for the team he has quarterbacked since 1992, and vice-versa.

One factor that has been omitted is whether Favre’s teammates would welcome him back.

Based on information we’ve picked up via our network of sources, the answer is a resounding “hell yes.”

Players already are referring privately to the notion of getting “our quarterback” back. There’s also a feeling within the locker room that the Packers can’t trade or release Favre without subjecting G.M. Ted Thompson to genuine concerns that he would be the target of some type of physical retaliation from one or more fans.

We’re also told that the players have yet to warm up to Aaron Rodgers, the man who is slated to become the next starting quarterback in Green Bay, if Favre stays retired or if he goes elsewhere.

Rodgers has been generally indifferent regarding his relationships with teammates. Also, there’s a belief among some of the players that Rodgers’ “get on board or shut up” remarks from last week to Sports Illustrated, which comments were obscured by the news of Favre’s possible return, reflect that Rodgers doesn’t understand the unique relationship between Packers players and the citizens of Green Bay.

So if Favre returns to the Packers, what will happen with Rodgers? He is signed through 2009 at manageable salaries of $680,000 and $800,000 over the next two seasons, respectively, under a contract that includes escalators based on playing time.

Our guess is that he’ll demand a trade. Possible suitors (as we see it) would include the Buccaneers, the Seahawks, the 49ers (who considered taking him instead of Alex Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in 2005), and any of the three NFC North rivals whose depth charts at the position would be upgraded instantly with the arrival of Rodgers.

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I have few doubts that to a man, every single guy on the roster wants Favre back. They want to win a title...they could care less about 2010 or 2015.

So, for all the people scared about how bringing Favre back would divide the locker room...you are reaching for straws IMO. In terms of the locker room...they want Favre back.

Gotta be a little scared if the "our QB" term is being thrown around...as if Rodgers is Thompson's little pet who the players aren't fond of.

Guiness
07-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Our guess is that he’ll demand a trade. Possible suitors (as we see it) would include the Buccaneers, the Seahawks, the 49ers (who considered taking him instead of Alex Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in 2005),

Ok, this is getting WAY ahead of things, but Rodgers to the 49ers? That's hilarious = and would require quite a lot of eating of crow on their part!!!

Is the feeling really that they've given up on Alex Smith?

The Shadow
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
1. I have few doubts that to a man, every single guy on the roster wants Favre back. 2.They want to win a title...they could care less about 2010 or 2015.

So, for all the people scared about how bringing Favre back would divide the locker room...you are reaching for straws IMO. In terms of the locker room...they want Favre back.

Gotta be a little scared if the "our QB" term is being thrown around...as if Rodgers is Thompson's little pet who the players aren't fond of.

1. Projecting one's own viewpoint on 53 other people is a bit presumptive, no?
2. It was all there in front of them LAST season. Why would it be different this year?

cheesner
07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I have few doubts that to a man, every single guy on the roster wants Favre back. They want to win a title...they could care less about 2010 or 2015.

I can think of one, Aaron Rodgers.

As far as this report goes, I have heard nothing but positive things for Rodgers from his teammates. I know they won't bash the guy in the media if they don't like him, but they seem to go out of their way to comment on how well he gets along with his teammates. Like the story about how he was hosting parties at his house on a weekly basis - doesn't sound to me like a guy who 'We’re also told that the players have yet to warm up to Aaron Rodgers,'

The Leaper
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Sure it is presumptive...but that hardly is evidence that my presumption is wrong.

2. It was all there in front of them LAST season. Why would it be different this year?

Um...because Aaron Rodgers has about as much experience leading an NFL team as I do. His recent bonehead comments pretty much confirm as much.

Brett Favre is clearly still one of the best 5 QBs in the NFL...his performance last year spoke for itself. To suggest that Aaron Rodgers is anywhere close to Favre is ridiculous. Rodgers remains a vast mystery that none of us really have any clue about yet. We are HOPING he pans out...but there is precious little evidence to confirm that he will.

Favre has a ring. He has 3 MVP awards. He has every passing record imaginable. I'm guessing he's got a little more evidence on his side, but maybe I'm wrong.

Favre gives Green Bay the best chance to win a title in 2008. That is a bona fide FACT, Shadow. I know it. You know it. The players know it. That is why they will almost unanimously support Favre's return.

LL2
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
If Favre submits papers to the Packers saying he wants off the retired list they have to either reinstate him or release him. If they do not take him back they have to let him go. So, Favre could force their hand real soon here.

Deputy Nutz
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Why not just give A. Rodgers an extension say three years, for 25 million dollars with 8 million of it guaranteed? That would shut him up for a little while.

falco
07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Why not just give A. Rodgers an extension say three years, for 25 million dollars with 8 million of it guaranteed? That would shut him up for a little while.

yeah but when you count that with the $20 million we have to pay brett favre and jason taylor this year we'll only have like $35 million left to sign our rookies and extend our core players

The Shadow
07-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Sure it is presumptive...but that hardly is evidence that my presumption is wrong.

Um...because Aaron Rodgers has about as much experience leading an NFL team as I do. 1. His recent bonehead comments pretty much confirm as much.

Brett Favre is clearly still one of the best 5 QBs in the NFL...his performance last year spoke for itself. To suggest that Aaron Rodgers is anywhere close to Favre is ridiculous. 2. Rodgers remains a vast mystery that none of us really have any clue about yet. We are HOPING he pans out...but there is precious little evidence to confirm that he will.

Favre has a ring. He has 3 MVP awards. 3.He has every passing record imaginable. I'm guessing he's got a little more evidence on his side, but maybe I'm wrong.

4.Favre gives Green Bay the best chance to win a title in 2008. 5. That is a bona fide FACT, Shadow. I know it. You know it. The players know it. That is why they will almost unanimously support Favre's return.

1. I believe that is also one of the Favre records that would be hard to eclipse.
2. So, at one time, was Tom Brady (6th round?). So was Bart Starr (17th round??).
Johnny Unitas????!!!
3. The (FIG) or Foolish Interception Game-ender record is the one that really worries me - and it reared it's ugly head yet again last season to derail another shot at a championship.
At 38, that particular horrible tendency is not likely to change, especially when remembering the troubling "I am not going to change my game" comment from a few years back.
4. Quite possibly, since Rodgers is, as you quite correctly point out, a somewhat unknown factor at this point. But last season was yet another illustration of Favre's inability to complete the ultimate job.
In all fairness, you must admit that the ONLY Super Bowl win under his helm came when Ron Wolf assembled easily the best team talent in the NFL around him. (And, with virtually the same team the next year, it was inexcusable to lose to the Broncos).
I do think he was great in helping the team come along from Point A to Point B - or further. But I don't think he - unless Ted Thompson suddenly acquires 5 more All Pros - is going to take the Packers to a Super Bowl.
5. A fact? Where is your evidence? In truth, no one knows. Aaron Rodgers might be the next Jay Fiedler - or the next Steve Young.
But I do know that you don't move forward by moving backwards.
Finally, I think team chemistry is HUGE. The message you send, the standards you set, and the belief that the team is bigger than any individual player, is an integral part of building a champion.
Favre was a vastly entertaining player with a unique skill set. He should cease eroding his legacy by gracefully leave the stage, and not claw at the curtains on his way offstage.
Just my opinion (I can't suggest the entire 53 man roster unanimously agrees with it....)

BF4MVP
07-08-2008, 06:30 PM

I can think of one, Aaron Rodgers.

As far as this report goes, I have heard nothing but positive things for Rodgers from his teammates. I know they won't bash the guy in the media if they don't like him, but they seem to go out of their way to comment on how well he gets along with his teammates. Like the story about how he was hosting parties at his house on a weekly basis - doesn't sound to me like a guy who 'We’re also told that the players have yet to warm up to Aaron Rodgers,'
Yeah, and the get-togethers at his house sure don't make him seem "generally indifferent regarding his relationships with teammates" either..

Just more crap from PFT..I hate that website..

The Shadow
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Rodgers will be fine, with coaches, teammates, and himself.

Carolina_Packer
07-08-2008, 08:58 PM
If the Packer don't value Favre enough to overlook the un-retirement (should it come to pass) and let him come back to compete for the starting job, and if A-Rod gets hurt and Brett has moved on to another team and is succeeding, not only will the fans be upset that the management rolled the dice, but that they didn't see what Favre had left to contribute, and could not get over themselves and make the best winning football decision for the organization.

VegasPackFan
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Carolina, you just stated what I deem to be the very worst scenario possible. If Favre is playing with another team this season, and Rodgers ends up hurt and missing considerable time, it will be really bad for Packers management. They will look terrible in hindsight.

I dont think they should risk that.

Pacopete4
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
With almost any other QB they could risk it.. but not with Brett.. because of what he's done for GB, Wisconsin, the Packers and for what he's done for the game... all the records matter, and more importantly never missing a game for the Green Bay Packers! There is no way you can let a guy go that has NEVER missed a game for you.. its just absolutely insane to think like that

Carolina_Packer
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Carolina, you just stated what I deem to be the very worst scenario possible. If Favre is playing with another team this season, and Rodgers ends up hurt and missing considerable time, it will be really bad for Packers management. They will look terrible in hindsight.

I dont think they should risk that.

I agree totally. If they bring Brett back and he's lost it, you can always bench him. If he gets hurt, you can bring in A-Rod and Favre finally rides off into the sunset once and for all. Erring on the side of seeing what your proven vet and beloved franchise great can do coming back is a more prudent move than trading him or releasing him. If you are TT, do you want that to be your legacy? Again, look at it this way. Should Favre come back and be the starting QB and they go 6-2 at the midway point, then it looks like a good decision. If they are 2-6, and Favre is not playing well, you can go with A-Rod and hope to salvage your season and Favre will probably retire once and for all. Why not see if Favre has one more run in him? It's worth the risk.

swede
07-08-2008, 10:09 PM
The Shadow knows. I like his thoughts. Some of the rest of you are having a hard time with the paradigmatic shift brought about by Brett being almost six in dog years.

I'd love to trade Favre for a few draft picks.

It's one last favor he could do for us.

Which is weirder? Hanging out at a Trekkie site arguing over what would have happened if Picard had violated the Prime Directive in episode 127, or hanging out at PackerRats continually wondering what will happen if Brett decides to unretire?

I'm not going to poke fun at Trekkies for a while. That would be like an Arcruvian plasma miner calling out a Cardassian veck merchant.

Bretsky
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
The Shadow knows. I like his thoughts. Some of the rest of you are having a hard time with the paradigmatic shift brought about by Brett being almost six in dog years.

it's a pipe dream to get anything more than a 3rd round pick IMO
It should be interesting.

TT should go with whoever things he will go the furthest with in 08; play for now
It's possible by the time AROD develops we'll be losing several of our best players that are at a very high level right now. Maybe he's ready for a SB run now and maybe TT thinks Favre is not as good as AROD. Then you move him for whatever pick you can.

swede
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM

TT should go with whoever things he will go the furthest with in 08; play for now
It's possible by the time AROD develops we'll be losing several of our best players that are at a very high level right now. Maybe he's ready for a SB run now and maybe TT thinks Favre is not as good as AROD. Then you move him for whatever pick you can.

Ouch! It's all so sordid. Do you think this is going to not go away B?

Bretsky
07-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Ouch! It's all so sordid. Do you think this is going to not go away B?

Not for a while; I'm perfectly fine with bringing BF back; he gives us the best chance to win this year IMO. Who knows when the play of cagy veterans like Harris, Woodsen, Clifton, Tauscher...will drop off. The time is now. They should bring in whoever gives them the best chance to win it all.

It sure doesn't appear they are in any rush to bring him back though

digitaldean
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Which is weirder? Hanging out at a Trekkie site arguing over what would have happened if Picard had violated the Prime Directive in episode 127, or hanging out at PackerRats continually wondering what will happen if Brett decides to unretire?

I'm not going to poke fun at Trekkies for a while. That would be like an Arcruvian plasma miner calling out a Cardassian veck merchant.

Actually, it's trying to figure out how 7 of 9 fit into that outfit....
http://bp0.blogger.com/_svPQ_U3jni8/RxGrMnLXKxI/AAAAAAAAALo/URC0ZF7FvP4/s400/7.jpg

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM

If your idea of moving forward is dumping a HOF caliber QB coming off an MVP caliber season, I guess I don't agree with your idea of moving forward.

Going from Favre to Rodgers is a huge step BACKWARD in 2008. Sure, it potentially COULD be a step or two forward 2-3 years from now...but we don't know that with any certainty.

The only certainty at this point is that going from Favre to Rodgers is a huge step backward.

The Shadow
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM

If your idea of moving forward is dumping a HOF caliber QB coming off an MVP caliber season, I guess I don't agree with your idea of moving forward.

Going from Favre to Rodgers is a huge step BACKWARD in 2008. Sure, it potentially COULD be a step or two forward 2-3 years from now...but we don't know that with any certainty.

The only certainty at this point is that going from Favre to Rodgers is a huge step backward.

Mmmm...going with the 38 year old keeps the future qb from developing and sends the message that the individual's ego is more important than the team's welfare?
Sorry, don't buy it as a good thing.

Gunakor
07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I understand it from both sides. Both make very valid points. Favre was great last year, and likely would be great again this year, so for 2008 specifically it would be wise to welcome him back. But bringing him back would stunt the development of the future QB, and I for one am not as willing to put the future on hold for one last hurrah (we think it would be, but no guarantees) for a 38 year old legend. I wish Favre would just ride of into retirment gracefully, but it appears that he isn't willing to do so. But I don't want to put the future on hold any longer. Let's get this new show on the road and see what we have. My bet is that we have a pretty good cast even without Favre in the spotlight, and spectators will still get thier money's worth.

I don't get how people can say Rodgers WON'T lead us to the playoffs this year, as if it weren't even possible for him to do so. For the same reasons people doubt Rodgers - the fact that he hasn't played alot - people should remain optimistic. He hasn't shown us that he's a failure yet either. I wish everyone would stop labelling him as such.

You know, until this whole Favre story surfaced early this month, I would have thought most of us were on board with Rodgers. So is Rodgers now incapable of leading this team solely because Favre wants to come back? That is to say, if Favre had just maintained that he was retired and would stay retired - and no stories of his return had been reported in every media outlet in the United States - would this team still be as fucked this year as many now claim it would be with Rodgers as the starter? Is it not even a possibility that the best WR corps in the NFL would continue to lead the league in YAC whether it be Favre or Rodgers at QB?

Agree with me or not, those WR's were the stars of our offense last year IMO. Those same WR's that would continually make guys miss and turn 5 yard slants and crossing patterns into 20 yard gains are coming back this year regardless who is throwing the ball to them. Whether it's Favre throwing that slant or Rodgers, the yards will continue to pile up. The offense will continue to move the ball. Life goes on. There will still be football being played at Lambeau in January 2009, regardless who the QB is. This is a phenomonal football team, even with Rodgers as the starter.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 12:35 PM
So is Rodgers now incapable of leading this team solely because Favre wants to come back?

I don't think that's it. He might be capable, but his performance carries a greater degree of uncertainty. We know what we've got with Favre.

Gunakor
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
So is Rodgers now incapable of leading this team solely because Favre wants to come back?

I don't think that's it. He might be capable, but his performance carries a greater degree of uncertainty. We know what we've got with Favre.

I see your point. But wouldn't bringing Favre back this year make for an even greater degree of uncertainty going forward? Either way we are going to have to deal with this. Putting it off another year isn't going to make it go away, and will probably make that feeling of uncertainty even worse. Especially if Rodgers bolts after the 2009 season.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I think I see both sides. But make no mistake - Favre's actions divided the Packer nation and possibly the team into 2 sides.

I still think Brett gives the team the best shot to win this year. Though I'm not nearly as informed as McCarthy, and haven't been there first hand to watch him develop in practice for the last 3 years.

The Leaper
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't buy the notion that Favre's indecision is threatening to tear the team apart. If our locker room is that fragile, we don't stand a chance of winning shit anytime soon.

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't buy the notion that Favre's indecision is threatening to tear the team apart. If our locker room is that fragile, we don't stand a chance of winning shit anytime soon.

I agree. The players are probably a bit confused by it all, like us, but they will be ready to play when training camp opens in a few weeks. And I expect decisions will be made by then. If Favre is gonna play, it only makes sense if he is a camp somewhere this summer.

Gunakor
07-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Favre's decision has torn the fan base in two. The team is not split. They are all 100% committed to winning regardless who the QB is. They understand that either one of them gives them a helluva shot at the playoffs this year. I understand that as well. My feelings on this one are based on the presumption that Rodgers will feel taken advantage of, wish his career would take him elsewhere, and depart after 2009 if we bring Favre back this year. I truly believe that Rodgers is the future QB of this franchise and do not want to risk anything that could potentially drive him away. Even if that means finally closing the door on Favre.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM

True. But the media going through the roster and asking guys to pick one or the other isn't exactly the conventional recipe for team cohesiveness. The team doesn't need this crap. Chemistry plays a major role in team sports.

RashanGary
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM

True. But the media going through the roster and asking guys to pick one or the other isn't exactly the conventional recipe for team cohesiveness. The team doesn't need this crap. Chemistry plays a major role in team sports.

Right, and Aaron Rodgers has a lot of friends in the lockerroom. He gets his hopes up every year to have them let down. Why? Because that stupid Diva can't make up his mind whether or not he will play a game that Rodgers and many others would probably play for free (and did when they signed up at JR colleged with little to no chance at ever making it to the NFL). Let Favre go. Even if he does play well, he's just not worth it with his piss poor, selfish, ignorant act.

Bretsky
07-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Favre's decision has torn the fan base in two. The team is not split. They are all 100% committed to winning regardless who the QB is. They understand that either one of them gives them a helluva shot at the playoffs this year. I understand that as well. My feelings on this one are based on the presumption that Rodgers will feel taken advantage of, wish his career would take him elsewhere, and depart after 2009 if we bring Favre back this year. I truly believe that Rodgers is the future QB of this franchise and do not want to risk anything that could potentially drive him away. Even if that means finally closing the door on Favre.

I certainly understand and respect this view; just don't agree

I assume you also disliked the Brewer trade then ? They in essense potentially sacrificed the future for the present.

woodbuck27
07-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Um...because Aaron Rodgers has about as much experience leading an NFL team as I do. 1. His recent bonehead comments pretty much confirm as much.

Brett Favre is clearly still one of the best 5 QBs in the NFL...his performance last year spoke for itself. To suggest that Aaron Rodgers is anywhere close to Favre is ridiculous. 2. Rodgers remains a vast mystery that none of us really have any clue about yet. We are HOPING he pans out...but there is precious little evidence to confirm that he will.

Favre has a ring. He has 3 MVP awards. 3.He has every passing record imaginable. I'm guessing he's got a little more evidence on his side, but maybe I'm wrong.

4.Favre gives Green Bay the best chance to win a title in 2008. 5. That is a bona fide FACT, Shadow. I know it. You know it. The players know it. That is why they will almost unanimously support Favre's return.

1. I believe that is also one of the Favre records that would be hard to eclipse.
2. So, at one time, was Tom Brady (6th round?). So was Bart Starr (17th round??).
Johnny Unitas????!!!
3. The (FIG) or Foolish Interception Game-ender record is the one that really worries me - and it reared it's ugly head yet again last season to derail another shot at a championship.
At 38, that particular horrible tendency is not likely to change, especially when remembering the troubling "I am not going to change my game" comment from a few years back.
4. Quite possibly, since Rodgers is, as you quite correctly point out, a somewhat unknown factor at this point. But last season was yet another illustration of Favre's inability to complete the ultimate job.
In all fairness, you must admit that the ONLY Super Bowl win under his helm came when Ron Wolf assembled easily the best team talent in the NFL around him. (And, with virtually the same team the next year, it was inexcusable to lose to the Broncos).
I do think he was great in helping the team come along from Point A to Point B - or further. But I don't think he - unless Ted Thompson suddenly acquires 5 more All Pros - is going to take the Packers to a Super Bowl.
5. A fact? Where is your evidence? In truth, no one knows. Aaron Rodgers might be the next Jay Fiedler - or the next Steve Young.
Finally, I think team chemistry is HUGE. The message you send, the standards you set, and the belief that the team is bigger than any individual player, is an integral part of building a champion.
Favre was a vastly entertaining player with a unique skill set. He should cease eroding his legacy by gracefully leave the stage, and not claw at the curtains on his way offstage.
Just my opinion (I can't suggest the entire 53 man roster unanimously agrees with it....)

Good post.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.foliomag.com/files/images/andy_rooney.jpg

Don't you hate when people ... no, don't you hate the people who quote giant blocks of text just to add a sentence at the bottom.
And usually these stupid people just add a stupid sentence.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Johnny Unitas????!!!

Good post.

Bad post.

Gunakor
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM

I certainly understand and respect this view; just don't agree

I assume you also disliked the Brewer trade then ? They in essense potentially sacrificed the future for the present.

No they didn't. They gave up LaPorta, but still have a wealth of talent remaining in thier farm system. One single player didn't make the Brewers farm system one of the best in the league. Mat Gamel has a good chance to become as good a big league player as LaPorta. And if the team revenue increases like many hope it will - especially if the Brewers can make the playoffs this year, since that will result in more tickets sold in 2009 - there might just be enough to resign Prince and then we don't need a replacement at 1B for him anyway. I'm not gonna speculate on what the Brewers are going to do in the offseason, but with more money comes better options.

There is a difference between the two that must be understood. MLB does not have a shared revenue system like the NFL does. Team payrolls aren't comparable to one another. So when a small market team like the Brewers have a chance to make a move like this they have to do it. Otherwise the window closes as players bolt to teams with higher payrolls where they can make more money. It takes moves like this to make a small market team competitive with the big boys like New York or Chicago or Boston.

Besides that, the only way to increase our own payroll here in Milwaukee is to increase attendance. What better way to do that then bring in left handed ace CC Sabathia to pair up with right handed ace Ben Sheets? It puts butts in the seats, increasing the team bottom line. That translates into more money to resign Sheets or Sabathia or Fielder, or go after high profile FA's in the offseason. It allows the team the opportunity to remain competitive. Again, I'm not going to speculate on what the Brewers are going to do, but better options are available now.

sharpe1027
07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
No they didn't. They gave up LaPorta, but still have a wealth of talent remaining in thier farm system. One single player didn't make the Brewers farm system one of the best in the league. Mat Gamel has a good chance to become as good a big league player as LaPorta. And if the team revenue increases like many hope it will - especially if the Brewers can make the playoffs this year, since that will result in more tickets sold in 2009 - there might just be enough to resign Prince and then we don't need a replacement at 1B for him anyway. I'm not gonna speculate on what the Brewers are going to do in the offseason, but with more money comes better options.

There is a difference between the two that must be understood. MLB does not have a shared revenue system like the NFL does. Team payrolls aren't comparable to one another. So when a small market team like the Brewers have a chance to make a move like this they have to do it. Otherwise the window closes as players bolt to teams with higher payrolls where they can make more money. It takes moves like this to make a small market team competitive with the big boys like New York or Chicago or Boston.

Besides that, the only way to increase our own payroll here in Milwaukee is to increase attendance. What better way to do that then bring in left handed ace CC Sabathia to pair up with right handed ace Ben Sheets? It puts butts in the seats, increasing the team bottom line. That translates into more money to resign Sheets or Sabathia or Fielder, or go after high profile FA's in the offseason. It allows the team the opportunity to remain competitive. Again, I'm not going to speculate on what the Brewers are going to do, but better options are available now.

Not expressing an opinion on the Favre sitatuion, the Brewers also stand to gain a crapload of first rounder picks to restock their system if Prince and/or CC leave.