PDA

View Full Version : Awkwardness at Lambeau

Brando19
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
From PFT:

On Monday, Peter King of SI.com reported that agent Bus Cook will ask the Packers to reinstate quarterback Brett Favre to the active roster in the next ten days.

Coincidentally, and as a reader has pointed out, Favre is scheduled to be at Lambeau Field in eleven days to present center Frank Winters for induction into the Packers Hall of Fame.

Um, awk-ward.

We can’t imagine Favre not following through, given the special bond that a center and a quarterback have, given that, you know, one guy constantly presses the back of his palm into the other guy’s taint.

So between the Hall of Fame ceremonies, which will be held at the Lambeau Field atrium, and the shareholders’ meeting five days later, it could be a very beautiful week in Wisconsin.

Or a very ugly one.

Pacopete4
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
TT- needs to suck up his ego, realize Favre is his answer for this season and maybe next and let him come back to the Pack and finish his business TOGETHER! Then, needs to go to Arod.. tell him he's sorry but its business and Favre gives them their best chance to win one

Favre- needs to tell TT that he f'd up, he wants to be a Packer and that he wants to work with TT TOGETHER and get their super bowl. Then, need to go to Arod (whether he likes him or not) and tell him sorry for all that he put him through and that this has nothing to do with him and that he just needs to finish what he started.

I know people guarantee a lot of things in life, but if this were to happen, I guarantee you that all would be well in Packer land!

]{ilr]3
07-08-2008, 05:45 PM
TT- needs to suck up his ego, realize Favre is his answer for this season and maybe next and let him come back to the Pack and finish his business

I would say Favre is the one who needs to suck up his ego. TT is doing what he is paid to do and thats build a team the way he see's fit. Favre is only thinking about what is best for Favre. I was really disappointed when Favre announced his retirement and I couldn’t understand why the hell he would retire when the team was looking so good. But he did retire and now he is only hurting the team with his latest shenanigans.

Pacopete4
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
[/quote]But he did retire and now he is only hurting the team with his latest shenanigans.[/quote]

How do you figure? He gives em the best chance to win... HE IS THERE BEST OPTION! How do we keep forgetting that. If he is hurting anyone, its ARod, and thats skeptical. There is nothing to say if Brett came back that ARod still doesnt turn out to the QB he is going to be no matter what.

this could be said for how Brett became a legend but it remains the same...
THE GREEN BAY PACKERS NEED BRETT FAVRE, BRETT FAVRE NEEDS THE GREEN BAY PACKERS!

Rastak
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
This is the slowest news period of the NFL calander and Florio is WAY over dramatic on this story. I have a feeling it could get nteresting but he's just tossing stuff out there now.

Here's my take. I believe there is fire....way too much smoke to be otherwise. That's where the speculation ends though, because I have no idea if favre is really at odds with anybody, and I'm really not sure what MM and TT are thinking. Who knows?

In my opinion this could be a giant issue or no issue at all. If MM and TT want nothing to do with Favre then the whole thing could blow up......if GB decides they want him back then this is a big non-controversy story.

I admit watching it play out no matter what should be interesting but PTF.com is going a tad overboard at this point.

digitaldean
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I heard a possible scenario and this seems the most plausible and palatable...

1.) IF (and this is still an IF) Brett comes back, take him off the reserve/retired list and let him play.
2.) If he is back, state to him that this is THE last year no matter what.
3.) Sign Rodgers to a contract extension before the season.

Rodgers may not want to re-sign if #4 comes back. TT and M3 don't want the headache of this situation, but they better deal with it quickly. Lay it out to Brett as for the conditions. If he accepts, great, if not that's OK too, thanks for everything.

Favre is the best chance still for this team. But him coming back can poison the well for the long-term outlook of this team.

Now if you really want to throw a monkey wrench in this, the Packers could bring Favre back if he wants to be here. But they don't HAVE to play him. I know, I know like that'll happen.
:|

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2008, 11:10 PM
{ilr]3]But he did retire and now he is only hurting the team with his latest shenanigans.

how is he hurting the team? He has put TT in a potentially unpleasant situation. But he isn't harming the team. TT can trade Favre or sign him.

HowardRoark
07-08-2008, 11:21 PM

1.) IF (and this is still an IF) Brett comes back, take him off the reserve/retired list and let him play.

Rodgers may not want to re-sign if #4 comes back. TT and M3 don't want the headache of this situation, but they better deal with it quickly. Lay it out to Brett as for the conditions. If he accepts, great, if not that's OK too, thanks for everything.

Favre is the best chance still for this team. But him coming back can poison the well for the long-term outlook of this team.

Now if you really want to throw a monkey wrench in this, the Packers could bring Favre back if he wants to be here. But they don't HAVE to play him. I know, I know like that'll happen.

TT's job is to do what is best for the team. I think all fans assumed Favre would be back, and would have been very happy to see him back. He played as well as ever. I thought for sure he would be around for a few more years. I still think he wants Jim Marshall's record.

My humble opinion:

1. TT and Favre have a joint press conference; he says he will play for AT LEAST two more years. Furthermore, after apologizing to all of the fans for acting like a chick for the past five years, he takes a vow of silence. Part of his new contract stipulates that if he EVER talks to the media about anything other than either the previous game or the next game, he will be IMMEDIATELY released from the team and forced to sign his “Retirement From the NFL papers.” On to the next phase of his career; a seat next to Hasselback on The View.

2. Trade Aaron Rodgers. Get as much for him as possible. Rogers is most likely sick of the whole soap opera, so the Packers need to be looking for the next guy anyway. We could probably get a lot for him.

3. Get one of these new guys ready. Oh, another thing, Favre has to be a MENTOR to these new guys without any of his B.S.

I think the only risk in this is that Favre gets injured this year. Then the whole thing falls apart. Other than that, it only has upside.

One other caveat, albeit an important one. If MM doesn’t think it’s a good idea, give Favre his walking papers. If this screws up the locker room for the next 10 years, forget it.

swede
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM

TT's job is to do what is best for the team. I think all fans assumed Favre would be back, and would have been very happy to see him back. He played as well as ever. I thought for sure he would be around for a few more years. I still think he wants Jim Marshall's record.

My humble opinion:

1. TT and Favre have a joint press conference; he says he will play for AT LEAST two more years. Furthermore, after apologizing to all of the fans for acting like a chick for the past five years, he takes a vow of silence. Part of his new contract stipulates that if he EVER talks to the media about anything other than either the previous game or the next game, he will be IMMEDIATELY released from the team and forced to sign his “Retirement From the NFL papers.” On to the next phase of his career; a seat next to Hasselback on The View.

2. Trade Aaron Rodgers. Get as much for him as possible. Rogers is most likely sick of the whole soap opera, so the Packers need to be looking for the next guy anyway. We could probably get a lot for him.

3. Get one of these new guys ready. Oh, another thing, Favre has to be a MENTOR to these new guys without any of his B.S.

I think the only risk in this is that Favre gets injured this year. Then the whole thing falls apart. Other than that, it only has upside.

One other caveat, albeit an important one. If MM doesn’t think it’s a good idea, give Favre his walking papers. If this screws up the locker room for the next 10 years, forget it.

Welcome.

Interesting post.

Brett should be forced to sit in a room and listen to his retirement speech for eighteen straight hours. If he still wants to play, let him.

]{ilr]3
07-09-2008, 06:32 AM
{ilr]3]But he did retire and now he is only hurting the team with his latest shenanigans.

how is he hurting the team? He has put TT in a potentially unpleasant situation. But he isn't harming the team. TT can trade Favre or sign him.

If we lose A-Rod over this and have to start all over grooming a QB the packers will be even further behind after Favre finally retires

ND72
07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
{ilr]3]
TT- needs to suck up his ego, realize Favre is his answer for this season and maybe next and let him come back to the Pack and finish his business

I would say Favre is the one who needs to suck up his ego. TT is doing what he is paid to do and thats build a team the way he see's fit. Favre is only thinking about what is best for Favre. I was really disappointed when Favre announced his retirement and I couldn’t understand why the hell he would retire when the team was looking so good. But he did retire and now he is only hurting the team with his latest shenanigans.

1000000000000% agreed.

Spaulding
07-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Seems all too many people on the board assume Brett gives us the best chance to win now (my personal belief is that without a doubt he does). They also assume that Thompson has a man crush on Rodgers and has been scheming since day one to get rid of Favre (I think that's pure BS as his job depends on winning and what better way to get canned than pushing a hall of famer out the door, he took Rodgers as insurance in case Favre did call it quits at then end of 2005 and because his MO is to take the best player available on the board, also then why did he take Brohm so high if he was adamant on Rodgers being the man).

The questions I want answers to are:

Do the experts (Thompson and McCarthy) feel Favre or Rodgers gives us the best chance to make the Superbowl this year. Most assume it's Favre but what if TT/MM see something in Rodgers that suggests he can achieve the same level as Favre last year and also not throw critical interceptions?

Does McCarthy (who is supposed to often have his finger on the heartbeat of the team) feel that since most of the players on the roster were drafted or assembled in 2005 and after have more of a connection with Rodgers who is also more social than a Favre at this point that he actually provides better overall team chemistry?

Again my thoughts and hope is that Favre comes back for one more season (as he never should have retired with the team in such a strong position and I'd love to think of him leaving like Elway - on top) but I've become open to the thoughts that maybe, just maybe Rodgers can do great things in 2008 and beyond based on short glimpses in 2007 and reports from mini camp this year.

ND72
07-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Seems all too many people on the board assume Brett gives us the best chance to win now (my personal belief is that without a doubt he does). They also assume that Thompson has a man crush on Rodgers and has been scheming since day one to get rid of Favre (I think that's pure BS as his job depends on winning and what better way to get canned than pushing a hall of famer out the door, he took Rodgers as insurance in case Favre did call it quits at then end of 2005 and because his MO is to take the best player available on the board, also then why did he take Brohm so high if he was adamant on Rodgers being the man).

The questions I want answers to are:

Do the experts (Thompson and McCarthy) feel Favre or Rodgers gives us the best chance to make the Superbowl this year. Most assume it's Favre but what if TT/MM see something in Rodgers that suggests he can achieve the same level as Favre last year and also not throw critical interceptions?

Does McCarthy (who is supposed to often have his finger on the heartbeat of the team) feel that since most of the players on the roster were drafted or assembled in 2005 and after have more of a connection with Rodgers who is also more social than a Favre at this point that he actually provides better overall team chemistry?

Again my thoughts and hope is that Favre comes back for one more season (as he never should have retired with the team in such a strong position and I'd love to think of him leaving like Elway - on top) but I've become open to the thoughts that maybe, just maybe Rodgers can do great things in 2008 and beyond based on short glimpses in 2007 and reports from mini camp this year.

I don't know if Thompson has a man crush on Rodgers, or if he does want to start his own legacy, but truthfully, Thompson is not stupid, and will not do anythign that #1, tarnishes him, #2, tarnishes Brett, & #3, ticks off the fans. Thompson is in a really tough spot, and too many people are ready to throw blame at him. Brett retired...McCarthy AND Thompson told him days before his decision to wait it out and think it over and lean to making his decision more towards summer time...but he didn't listen.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Everyone agrees...Favre is a moron when it comes to dealing with his retirement. I don't see how that should eliminate his RIGHT to continue playing football...that he should somehow be FORCED to remain retired because he held a press conference and cried for 30 minutes.

texaspackerbacker
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Some people will believe any damn thing. Who the hell is this asshole, King, anyway? The guy is talking out of his ass, and SOME, at least, of you people believe him. Sheesh!

Zool
07-09-2008, 12:16 PM
He has a right to play football? Which amendment was that again?

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
{ilr]3]

If we lose A-Rod over this and have to start all over grooming a QB the packers will be even further behind after Favre finally retires

That's TT's choice. There is no reason the team has to lose A-Rod.

It has just forced TT to make tough decisions, which has the potential to make him look foolish, that's the only harm. They haven't actually lost anything.

swede
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Everyone agrees...Favre is a moron when it comes to dealing with his retirement. I don't see how that should eliminate his RIGHT to continue playing football...that he should somehow be FORCED to remain retired because he held a press conference and cried for 30 minutes.

I agree Leaper.

Now I don't get how Brett--being 38 and all--could search his feelings and decide to retire and then search his feelings again and decide to unretire in just a few months time.

But just because I don't get it and just because I'm annoyed doesn't mean that he doesn't have a right to unretire. In fact I encourage him to come back if he wants to try to play football again.

I'll tell you why I'm annoyed, and I will admit that this reason is very personal and very shallow, and this reason stands well aside from the obvious issues regarding the possible disruption of the team's very serious preparations for a new season and a new era.

But I think I am not alone in wanting the Brett Favre story to end well. If you invest six hours in reading a good book and are really enjoying it and then the ending is disappointing you always feel a little bit cheated. I invested 17 years in the Brett Favre story and I thought that I had come to the ending.

This is like Brett mailing me another ending where he cheats on his wife and sets fire to the barn. I liked the other ending better.

I can only hope that he mails me another chapter yet in which something really cool happens. Maybe he backs up Aaron Rodgers quietly until injury ruins Aaron's promising season and Brett leads the team to another Super Bowl.

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Right at the top: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 12:56 PM

I believe it would fall squarely under the "pursuit of happiness" that is identified in our Declaration of Indepenence as an unalienable right granted to all human beings.

Zool
07-09-2008, 12:59 PM

I believe it would fall squarely under the "pursuit of happiness" that is identified in our Declaration of Indepenence as an unalienable right granted to all human beings.

Fuck it, sign me up too then. Tell the Packer management I've decided to forgo the draft and head straight to the team.

I'm coming Ted, and M3 better damned well find a position for me.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/w/images/waterboy-poster-0.jpg

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Geez. All this time I wasted dreaming about playing QB for the Packers, and all I had to do was hire Johnny Cochran.

Zool
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Scooter pie, I laughed more at your post than I did through that movie.

Packers4Ever
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I keep wondering what in the world is TT thinking. As I understand it, Brett
sent him a text when? Last Saturday or earlier?
TT finally responded, telling Brett basically that he was on vacation and
would see to things when he got back.

TT's ignoring the message for a number of days sets a lot of people to thinking 'what's with this man?' He's the GM of one of the hottest NFL teams going, he has a star QB, AND yes, a VERY gifted team, and he's ignoring a significant problem, Who has the ego here? I always thought it was a GM's duty to put the best team on the field that he could.

I would be sorry for ARod having waited all this time, but it wasn't a waste, he's told us how much he learned from MM, Brett and the team - he's only 24 and someone is bound to snap him up fast if it's his choice to leave.

Hope TT is ready to hear lots of booing if he muffs this one.... :roll:

Zool
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I know I generally just txt my boss when I have something major to talk about with him.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Fuck it, sign me up too then. Tell the Packer management I've decided to forgo the draft and head straight to the team.

I didn't realize you had an MVP caliber year last year as an NFL QB and the talent necessary to attain numerous NFL passing records and MVP awards.

Favre still has a contract with the Packers, and has every right to show up to camp and continue playing if he wants to. The Packers have the right to keep him, trade him or cut him as well.

No amount of your sarcasm changes that.

HowardRoark
07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I know I generally just txt my boss when I have something major to talk about with him.

Packer management has been jumping through Favre’s hoops for years. Finally some push back. I think TT is merely showing Favre (and everyone else too) that he now controls the hoops.

Probably not a bad move regardless the outcome of this little drama.

Let Brett fly up and get TT off of his lawnmower this time.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Until Favre is ready to speak his mind, I wouldn't bother talking to him either if I were Thompson. Text messages aren't a way to speak your mind effectively.

Packerarcher
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
From PFT:

On Monday, Peter King of SI.com reported that agent Bus Cook will ask the Packers to reinstate quarterback Brett Favre to the active roster in the next ten days.

Coincidentally, and as a reader has pointed out, Favre is scheduled to be at Lambeau Field in eleven days to present center Frank Winters for induction into the Packers Hall of Fame.

Um, awk-ward.

We can’t imagine Favre not following through, given the special bond that a center and a quarterback have, given that, you know, one guy constantly presses the back of his palm into the other guy’s taint.

So between the Hall of Fame ceremonies, which will be held at the Lambeau Field atrium, and the shareholders’ meeting five days later, it could be a very beautiful week in Wisconsin.

Or a very ugly one.

First of all dudes have a Chode,chicks have a Taint. Now that I got that staightened out all I have to say is what I usally do Favre starting for the Pack in 08 = winning. Rodgers starting in 08 =the good old days of where the pack sucked so bad that even though I still cheered them on I was drunk by halftime as I knew there was nothing to miss. Problem is I don't drink anymore.

MJZiggy
07-09-2008, 06:23 PM

TT's ignoring the message for a number of days sets a lot of people to thinking 'what's with this man?' He's the GM of one of the hottest NFL teams going, he has a star QB, AND yes, a VERY gifted team, and he's ignoring a significant problem, Who has the ego here? I always thought it was a GM's duty to put the best team on the field that he could.

I would be sorry for ARod having waited all this time, but it wasn't a waste, he's told us how much he learned from MM, Brett and the team - he's only 24 and someone is bound to snap him up fast if it's his choice to leave.

If I retired and then sent my boss a text while he was on vacation, how long do you think I'd be waiting for a response? Is it even getting chilly in hell yet?

The Shadow
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Packer management has been jumping through Favre’s hoops for years. Finally some push back. I think TT is merely showing Favre (and everyone else too) that he now controls the hoops.

well put!

Bretsky
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM

If I retired and then sent my boss a text while he was on vacation, how long do you think I'd be waiting for a response? Is it even getting chilly in hell yet?

Didn't you just start working ? Are you equating your months of service and quality of work to BF's ? :lol:

RashanGary
07-09-2008, 08:32 PM

well put!

Haha, never thought about it, but great point. I'll 3rd this sentiment.

Joemailman
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Maybe we could test this by having Tank TM Mad and see what happens.

Packers4Ever
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Until Favre is ready to speak his mind, I wouldn't bother talking to him either if I were Thompson. Text messages aren't a way to speak your mind effectively.

No,of course text messages might not have been the
route to take, but then TT showed how rude he can be
by not bothering to at least respond to the call. This
is how General Managers conduct business?
:roll:

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 10:38 PM

No,of course text messages might not have been the
route to take, but then TT showed how rude he can be
by not bothering to at least respond to the call. This
is how General Managers conduct business?
:roll:

I don't think anybody really knows exactly how this is going down.

Bretsky
07-09-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2KEF5UsVXc&feature=related

woodbuck27
07-09-2008, 11:48 PM

TT is trying to figure out if he wants a starting QB that passed for over 4000 yards and 28 TD's last year. Tough decision.

Partial
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM

Once you do something like single-handedly revive a a franchise, maker a town, city, and state hundreds of millions of dollars, be the best worker at the most important job in your field ever, then I'm sure he'd respond.

Brando19
07-10-2008, 07:33 AM

Once you do something like single-handedly revive a a franchise, maker a town, city, and state hundreds of millions of dollars, be the best worker at the most important job in your field ever, then I'm sure he'd respond.

True...but don't you think the millions and millions and millions of dollars he made from the organization was payback enough? I love Brett Favre, but he did retire and walk away from the large paycheck. I'd love to see him return, but he did retire. TT has a decision to make. Favre quit...now he wants to come back. If you were an employer, would you take someone back that has threatened to quit time after time, then did quit, then called back wanting his job back?
Sorry for the rambling, but i just didn't like your comment about how his employer would respond if he had done the things Brett had done. Not many people become multi millionaires for playing a freakin' game. I wouldn't compare this to real life, average Joe situations.

RashanGary
07-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Favre might get special treatment by jock sniffing fans but something tells me TT could care less. He'll make the best decision he knows how and emotion (such as jock sniffing man love) will not enter into his decision. Mark Murphy seems to be supporting whatever football decision is made. That's a very good thing for this organization. TT needs complete control and it looks like he hsa it.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Favre might get special treatment by jock sniffing fans but something tells me TT could care less. He'll make the best decision he knows how and emotion (such as jock sniffing man love) will not enter into his decision. Mark Murphy seems to be supporting whatever football decision is made.

If Ted were emotional, he might assign some camp fodder punter #4 in training camp. How funny would that be?

:lol:

Gunakor
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Favre might get special treatment by jock sniffing fans but something tells me TT could care less. He'll make the best decision he knows how and emotion (such as jock sniffing man love) will not enter into his decision. Mark Murphy seems to be supporting whatever football decision is made.

If Ted were emotional, he might assign some camp fodder punter #4 in training camp. How funny would that be?

It would be funny for a non-Packer fan. Being a sincere Packer fan myself, I believe that whether Favre comes back or not his number should be retired. Assigning his number to a punter would be an insult to everything he's done for a decade and a half.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM

It would be funny for a non-Packer fan. Being a sincere Packer fan myself, I believe that whether Favre comes back or not his number should be retired. Assigning his number to a punter would be an insult to everything he's done for a decade and a half.

All true.

But it would also send a message to Brett that he doesn't own the Packers, and that manipulating the media for his own personal gain will not be tolerated.

But again, Ted is not that emotional. That's why you want him running the team instead of Scott. Among other reasons. :lol:

Curly and Vince's statues are right outside the front gate. Maybe Ted could put Brett's right outside the ladies room.

cpk1994
07-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Let Brett fly up and get TT off of his lawnmower this time.Technically it would be TT's lawn service getting off the mower as TT doesn't mow his own lawn.

HowardRoark
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Let Brett fly up and get TT off of his lawnmower this time.Technically it would be TT's lawn service getting off the mower as TT doesn't mow his own lawn.

It's none of my business what he rides, as long as he gets off.

FritzDontBlitz
07-11-2008, 11:43 PM
[quote]If you were an employer, would you take someone back that has threatened to quit time after time, then did quit, then called back wanting his job back?

If he was my best employee and had been there longer than the rest? Yup.