PDA

View Full Version : anyone here have an mba, cpa, accounting or finance degree?

Partial
06-07-2006, 11:24 PM
if so, can you pm me? I am thinking about changing my major and have a few questions about the whole thing if its not too much trouble.

Thanks! Please don't respond in this thread. I'll bump it up when necessary.

edit - left some words out

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2006, 12:10 AM
I've heard that a lot of accounting work is being off-shored, much like computer programming.

but then again, what's NOT being off-shored?

Bossman641
06-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Partial,

I'm finishing up my bachelor's in accounting right now. Be done in August.

Bossman641
06-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks! Please don't respond in this thread. I'll bump it up when necessary.

Oops sorry, I PM'ed you

GBRulz
06-08-2006, 09:12 AM
well since bossman already bumped it up...I'm just gonna reply here, lol...

I have my A.A. in Accounting. am doing absolutely nothing in my field of work that relates to it though. shocker, I know.

My advice, if you are going for accounting, to really have it pay off, get your masters and be a CPA...that's where the $$$$ is. and possibly a little less boredom...although i can't confirm that :wink:

Partial
06-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Mods can you lock this topic?

oregonpackfan
06-11-2006, 12:47 PM
well since bossman already bumped it up...I'm just gonna reply here, lol...

I have my A.A. in Accounting. am doing absolutely nothing in my field of work that relates to it though. shocker, I know.

My advice, if you are going for accounting, to really have it pay off, get your masters and be a CPA...that's where the $$$$ is. and possibly a little less boredom...although i can't confirm that :wink:

Though I am not in the field of finance, I have heard the sound advice offered by GBMichele echoed by many knowledgable others--get your masters and your CPA.

Oregonpackfan

Tarlam!
06-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Mods can you lock this topic?

Working on my EMBA as I type....

The Leaper
06-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I have a bachelor in accounting and finance. I never bothered to go for my CPA...it is a real chore to achieve and really doesn't help you that much unless you want to remain in public accounting your entire life. The coin is great as a CPA...after you spend 15 years as a auditing grunt. Most people I've known haven't been able to hold out for much more than 5 years in public accounting.

If you get an degree in accounting/finance, skip the CPA and work on gaining real-world experience. I think an MBA actually offers more versatility for down-the-road career advancement.

Bossman641
06-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I have a bachelor in accounting and finance. I never bothered to go for my CPA...it is a real chore to achieve and really doesn't help you that much unless you want to remain in public accounting your entire life. The coin is great as a CPA...after you spend 15 years as a auditing grunt. Most people I've known haven't been able to hold out for much more than 5 years in public accounting.

If you get an degree in accounting/finance, skip the CPA and work on gaining real-world experience. I think an MBA actually offers more versatility for down-the-road career advancement.

Really Leaper? Most of my advisors here at school have strongly suggested going for CPA. Of course, that could be them just pimpin for the school.