PDA

View Full Version : Favre wanting to come back is not a problem.

RashanGary
07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Aaron Rodgers was given the reigns but he would be a real hard headed numb skull if he couldn't understand why the Packers would consider taking Favre back. Favre did have a great year last year and appears to have another similar year left in him.

The biggest reason I think Favre is the best fit right now is the Oline. They have a bunch of athletic guys who are built for moving protections and stretch zone runs but they have two immobile tackles. It makes it hard to have the mvoing pockets and stretch runs that seem to be staples of the zone teams with Tauch and Cliffy still holding down their spots. Favre is best when standing in the pocket at this point in his career and I"d have to think he's better at it that Rodgers will ever be. The interior line was a weak link last year, but they should be physically stronger and that will allow the Packers to focus more on the inside zone runs and traditional drop back pockets that suite Favre so well right now.

I, personally, do not really like Brett Favre because I think he's a selfish diva and a below average teammate at this point in his career but he is a very good player and once TC starts he does commit everything to football and the team. I'll be glad when he's finially retired, but I don't think now has to be the time for Favre or the Packers. If he were to come back, I'd want him to tell McCarthy he is ready to fully commit. Not 85% because he already had his 15% break this off season. He'd have to be the first one there and the last one to leave all season and leave it all on the field. He still has more than enough, but he has to keep that mental edge like he had last year because his body isn't cashing the checks it did 10 years ago and with all of this trouble, he needs to make sure it's worth everyones time.

The bottom line is that I think the Packers could still use Favre and if Favre still wants to play this is still the obvious best spot for him considering the success last year and the improvements from all of the young players. I don't see why it can't happen and like Thompson says "this is a big boy league", Rodgers will have to adjust. He's still going to be walking into a fantastic situation next season (maybe even better than this season if they can get an athletic OT or two to play to Rodgers strengths and with the improvements from Nelson/Jones/Jennings/Jackson/Finley/K. Hall/Interior line). If Rodgers wants to leave, he's really just leaving a great door wide open for Brohm. I wouldn't want to leave if I were Rodgers. Things are too good here right now and while he might be licking his chops to take over thsi team right now, he'd have to realize it's going to be harder anywhere else he goes.

GoPackGo
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I, personally, do not really like Brett Favre because I think he's a selfish diva and a below average teammate at this point in his career

come on dude :bs2:

texaspackerbacker
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I would stop way short of calling Favre a "selfish diva" and "bad teammate" for the same reason that I discount the likelihood of this whole misadventure.

NOTHING that we know for a fact about Favre's attitude, motivation, behavior, etc. gives any indication of ANY of the crap--not pushing to come back, not making trouble, none of it.

It's ALL the shit put out by the God damned media bastards.

Carolina_Packer
07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
1) We know Brett has a hard time saying goodbye, so this turn of events is not surprising to me.

2) The only thing he really did was hold a press conference and say he was retiring (tears included)

3) A-Rod has been handed the keys, but is not as worthy of trust as Brett. So, would you take the unknown commodity that might not be able to stay healthy for a season or a proven winner who still has something left in the tank? I say if he wants to come back, we have a better chance of winning now than we do with A-Rod. Winning is the goal, and winning now is an important consideration.

4) What will TT and the front office do regarding Favre? Are they even considering him as a viable option right now to help the Packers win (the ultimate goal of course). Are they fed up dealing with the will he, wont't he play situation? I think they should put their frustration on the back-burner and see what Favre has left and decide whether he can still do it and help the Packers win. The players would welcome Favre back, except perhaps A-Rod.

5) Who has really been hurt by Favre's situation? If you don't get your underwear in a bunch and just look at chance to win vs. the unknown player waiting in the wings, which way do you go? I say, if he wants to play, we are better off getting another year out of Favre and taking our chances with him, and A-Rod can always play if Favre loses it or gets hurt.

6) Is A-Rod entitled to the job as starting QB, or should Brett have a shot at his old job, despite his hemming and hawing? I don't think Brett's hesitation should be a factor in whether he comes back or not. I don't think A-Rod should feel entitled to the job, but if he can outplay Favre in training camp, so be it.

7) What does bringing Favre back do to A-Rod's phyche? Should the Packers care? I think he'd be upset, but I think the Packers biggest concern should be winning football games and deciding what gives them the best chance to do that, not coddle a players feelings. They don't even need to coddle Brett, just realize whether he can play winning football like he did last year.

Bretsky
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
A good thread and a lot of very good points by JH

I was listening to the ESPN national media for much of today while traveling in the car. On a national level, most of the people leading the talk shows thinks GB is insane for considering letting Favre walk. I would say I enjoy listening to Colin Cower (he's entertaining) and Mike Turico (he's good).

I've been torn about this Brewer trade and now the Packers considerations with Favre have similarities. I've flip flopped my view on the Brewer deal to become more consistent with what Green Bay should do.

It will surprise nobody that my view with each situation is

WIN NOW

Seize the moment.

The last time the Brewers were in the playoffs ET was in the movie Theatre

It's been over 10 years now since Green Bay has been in the Super Bowl
We were close last year. Time to go for the gusto.

Most of us work our ass off...some at jobs we hate...for the future
We get married and have kids....looking towards the future
401K's are for the future

SPORTS is fun
SPORTS is all about now

We know what we have with Brett Favre, and we IMO are Super Bowl contenders

We don't know what we have with AROD; even I am high on him now but it's an opinion without a lot enough evidence. It's my view with AROD we are playoff contenders

Seize the moment; Green Bay should bring whatever QB allows us to win now
If the Packer brass can look themselves in the mirror and say that is AROD then that should be their decision. If it's Favre, bring him back.

If they are faced with a decision, I'm sure it will be nitpicked regardless of what it is so I hope they make the right choice.

RashanGary
07-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Seize the moment; Green Bay should bring whatever QB allows us to win now
If the Packer brass can look themselves in the mirror and say that is AROD then that should be their decision. If it's Favre, bring him back.

If they are faced with a decision, I'm sure it will be nitpicked regardless of what it is so I hope they make the right choice.

I agree. If they think Favre gives them the best chance they should take him back. They have him on a year to year deal and although it's a lot of money, it's not too bad with the way the cap has gone up and it's very short term, not some long strapping deal. There is very little downside to bringing Favre back. Aaron might be upset, but he'd be stupid to go elsewhere. Even if he doesn't get his chance till next year, this is still the best open situation for a QB in the league. He should be happy no matter what.

ND72
07-09-2008, 07:42 AM
[b]

WIN NOW

The only problem with that, is that this team is not really built to win now, they are built to be consistantly good and the possibility to win often today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. Does Brett give us a chance to win now? Sure, as long as we don't have to play in the cold where Brett was the biggest pussy on the field in the Chicago and New York games. Does Brett coming back help us in the future, hell no. It just pushes back Aaron's development, and possibly damage that opportunity.

I'm hoping this is all BS and he stays retired for the good of our franchise, NOT just for today.

Partial
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
[b]

WIN NOW

The only problem with that, is that this team is not really built to win now, they are built to be consistantly good and the possibility to win often today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. Does Brett give us a chance to win now? Sure, as long as we don't have to play in the cold where Brett was the biggest pussy on the field in the Chicago and New York games. Does Brett coming back help us in the future, hell no. It just pushes back Aaron's development, and possibly damage that opportunity.

I'm hoping this is all BS and he stays retired for the good of our franchise, NOT just for today.

What are you smoking? They've got another two years with the young, excellent fleet of young players before salaries will explode for the team. TT has done a great job at drafting and as a result many of our players are some of the best values (see Harveys thread). Will this team be able to compete when Jennings, Bigby, Williams, Lee, Grant, etc all want big bucks?

Some of the reactions around here are nuts. Stunt Rodgers development? So what? Does anyone really think that cake boy is the long term answer?

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 08:25 AM
I agree with much of Justin's post...many good thoughts.

ND72...this team is not built to win now??? How the hell did they go 13-3 last year then? How the hell did they reach the NFCC game and push the eventual Super Bowl champs into overtime?

Some of you Rodgers supporters really look like pathetic ignorant fools. This team IS built to win now. We have a tremendous mix of talent...both veteran and young. Key guys like Clifton, Tauscher, Harris, Woodson and Driver don't have many years left.

This team has the talent to be a title contender when you put an experienced QB in charge. You can sit here and yap all you want about Favre's game ending INTs...but he's the one who carried the team to that point in the first place.

With Rodgers, there will be no game ending INT in the NFCC game...because you ain't gonna be in the NFCC game.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Some of you Rodgers supporters really look like pathetic ignorant fools.

Just remember what Brett said:

"I'm much more aware of how hard it is to win in this league and to play at a high level. I'm not up to the challenge anymore."

People didn't just start doubting Brett all by themselves. Brett put that doubt there.

Zool
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
With Rodgers, there will be no game ending INT in the NFCC game...because you ain't gonna be in the NFCC game.

Just to let you know, you're supposed to be a Packer fan not a Favre fan. Statements like this make you look really.....well not smart.

Bretsky
07-09-2008, 08:56 AM

Just to let you know, you're supposed to be a Packer fan not a Favre fan. Statements like this make you look really.....well not smart.

Completely disagree; it shows he's analyzing the whole season with the data given to him. Favre was probably the third best QB in the NFL last year in the regular season....for sure top 5. I don't think it's ignorant at all to argue we don't get to the NFC Title Game without Favre leading the team last year.

I also think it's good to point out that we have some aging vets still playing at a very high level.......Harris, Clifton, Tauscher, Woodson, Driver....as obvious examples. Playing for down the road....we don't know if the replacements are going to be as good or better.

If you want to argue AROD gives us the best chance to win right away I'm fine with going with him; but I don't see many or any arguing that. In sports, I still think you play for now rather than 2, 3, or 4 years later. Because you just don't know what will occur.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM

Packnut
07-09-2008, 09:00 AM

ND72...this team is not built to win now??? How the hell did they go 13-3 last year then? How the hell did they reach the NFCC game and push the eventual Super Bowl champs into overtime?

Some of you Rodgers supporters really look like pathetic ignorant fools. This team IS built to win now. We have a tremendous mix of talent...both veteran and young. Key guys like Clifton, Tauscher, Harris, Woodson and Driver don't have many years left.

This team has the talent to be a title contender when you put an experienced QB in charge. You can sit here and yap all you want about Favre's game ending INTs...but he's the one who carried the team to that point in the first place.

Ya gotta consider the source. ND is the same guy who said Favre was done BEFORE last season and should retire. In one of our more spirited debates, he stated Favre was hurting the team by not retiring and had nothing left. How did that opinion work out for him? Could he have been any more wrong? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Favre bitch slapped his moronic opinions right upside his head last season so it's only natural that his anti-Favre BS would increase. No one likes to be proven ignorant. ND ended up with HUGE egg on the face............... :roll:

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I think ND is a solid poster and has a reputation here of treating others with respect.

ND72
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM

So you guys totally didn't read the post with a sane point of view. Yes, I did say the team isn't really built to win now, but last year they were NOT expected to do this well, so in truth, THIS should be the year we had last year. But as I said this team is built to win today, tomorrow, etc......I was refering ONLY to Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, NOT the entire team. I don't know about some of the crack-brett's, but I'd rather win for the next 10 years than just next year. A QB's window of opporutnity is small, with Brett and someone like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady being the exceptions (today at least). No matter what, in everyone's hopeful minds, Aaron Rodgers will be a failure and will hope Brohm passes him by. Do I want Favre to retire for good...yes I do. Do I think he could help next year, sure. Do I think Aaron Rodgers could lead the team with as good of a chance to make it to the super bowl, yes I do...but only based on the fact that he will be surrounded by tons of talent.

I don't care what anyone says, but all of your "savior" in Brett Favre (along with Al "slower than Tim" Harris) cost us the chance at the super bowl. Eli Manning came out and looked sharp, while the "golden child" looked frostbiten.

Time to move on and find out if Rodgers can carry us or not. Enough with the Brett Favre Soap Opera. Go ride the tractor.

ND72
07-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Ya gotta consider the source. ND is the same guy who said Favre was done BEFORE last season and should retire. In one of our more spirited debates, he stated Favre was hurting the team by not retiring and had nothing left. How did that opinion work out for him? Could he have been any more wrong? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Favre bitch slapped his moronic opinions right upside his head last season so it's only natural that his anti-Favre BS would increase. No one likes to be proven ignorant. ND ended up with HUGE egg on the face............... :roll:

FYI, I never said he was done...I simply said he should be done :lol: And I don't have egg on my face. You guys can attack, I don't really give a shit. Did I think Brett should have retired last year, yes I did. Was I shocked by the season he had? You can't honestly tell me you EXPECTED him to come out and play like he did this year, cause that would be the largest pile of bullshit around.

Zool
07-09-2008, 09:15 AM

Completely disagree; it shows he's analyzing the whole season with the data given to him. Favre was probably the third best QB in the NFL last year in the regular season....for sure top 5. I don't think it's ignorant at all to argue we don't get to the NFC Title Game without Favre leading the team last year.

I also think it's good to point out that we have some aging vets still playing at a very high level.......Harris, Clifton, Tauscher, Woodson, Driver....as obvious examples. Playing for down the road....we don't know if the replacements are going to be as good or better.

If you want to argue AROD gives us the best chance to win right away I'm fine with going with him; but I don't see many or any arguing that. In sports, I still think you play for now rather than 2, 3, or 4 years later. Because you just don't know what will occur.

Ahh but you said we. He often says we, but all the sudden he says you? That's BS completely and its this attitude that gets me.

If Favre is the QB, get on the fuckin bus. If Rodgers is the QB, get on the fuckin bus. I'm not talking about anything but that. You're either a Packer fan or you're not.

I'll never understand the mentality that someone would rather be right on their feelings about a player then have the Packers win games, just so they can say "I told you so". Weak sauce.

ND72
07-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Just wanted to add this as well. I'd love Brett to come back, personally. I'm just sick of his soap opera's, and especially pretty sick of his mommy and brother coming out and saying it's the Packers fault that Brett retired, and so on. Brett's a big boy, time to stick to some decisions, and NOT make yourself bigger than the organization, especially since he does that time and time again. It's getting old, and so is he.

ND72
07-09-2008, 09:25 AM

I love how we all KNOW that. I remember, only because I have it on video...Monday, September 12th, the day after Brett came in to replace Majik man, 3 sports reporters on a Monday night Tailgate party, "Brett is a fill in guy, he's not a starter in this league, and will only be here long enough to be our backup"....who has egg on who's face?

Larry McCaren will even admit that he thought Brett would only be here a couple years and then released, never seeing what he had in him.

But we're all experts right? We all know what Rodgers can and can't do cause he's played so much, and has the opportunity to play. Should probably just cut him now.

Tarlam!
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
It seems a given now, that Brett wants in on next season.

Personally, if I am TT, I subject Brett to a secret ballot by the team's players.

Why? Because the last the the Club can afford is players thinking badly over this and not being fully committed as a result. 80 players worked their arses off in OTA's and mini camps. Now, Brett just slides in and takes over?

My bet is that if TT actually let them vote, Brett would be sent packing by his own team mates.

MadtownPacker
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM

Personally, if I am TT, I subject Brett to a secret ballot by the team's players.

Why? Because the last the the Club can afford is players thinking badly over this and not being fully committed as a result. 80 players worked their arses off in OTA's and mini camps. Now, Brett just slides in and takes over?

My bet is that if TT actually let them vote, Brett would be sent packing by his own team mates.If you want to run ARod off this would be the perfect way to do it. Is your mind flushing backwards like an Australian toilet bowl?

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
But we're all experts right? We all know what Rodgers can and can't do cause he's played so much, and has the opportunity to play. Should probably just cut him now.

You are only proving MY point, ND. We don't know what Rodgers can do. He's a huge question mark.

So why would you want to take a talented team that has the pieces necessary to contend in 2008 and put Rodgers in charge if you had the opportunity to put Favre in charge?

Your notion that the team isn't built to win now is a joke. This is a team that went 13-3 last year with the youngest roster in the NFL and was on the verge of a trip to the Super Bowl. If that kind of team isn't capable of winning now, then I fail to see how ANY team is capable of winning now.

Tarlam!
07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Is your mind flushing backwards like an Australian toilet bowl?

Australian toilet bowls do not flush backwards. That is just a myth, but you claiming it to be true tells me more about you than you are ready to know. 8-)

texaspackerbacker
07-09-2008, 12:43 PM

My bet is that if TT actually let them vote, Brett would be sent packing by his own team mates.

Somehow, I don't think it will come down to a vote--even secret ballot. I do agree, though, that if it did, those in the best position to know, the players, probably would and do favor Favre NOT coming back.

All this talk on Page 1 about Rodgers being the unknown quantity and Favre being the better bet in a Win Now scenario, No Way to that. I would agree that we have the talent now, and in 2 or 3 years, Packer vets will get too old and some Packers may be lost as they become prospects for big salaries. However, Rodgers, NOT Favre is the better bet--as I think the players would testify to.

Why? Favre made a supreme effort to play at a high level last season. He has apparently said he wants to only make about an 80% of last season effort at preparation if he comes back. That spells trouble--something like the '06 season, maybe worse. Sorry, but I'll take the now apparently ready for prime time Rodgers.

taylor 31
07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
ND and Tex bring up some really good points here.I think Brett gives us the best chance to win now,but only in ideal weather conditions.Sort of like saying it won't get cold this year in Green Bay,Chicago etc.(ya right!).

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I think Brett gives us the best chance to win now,but only in ideal weather conditions.

1. He was just fine against the Seahawks in a blizzard.

2. It is unlikely the Packers will play in another game as cold as the NFCC game next season.

3. I would hope that the team as a whole would play better in the frigid weather, because they all sucked. Perhaps we should have the entire team retire so we can get some guys capable of playing in 0 degree weather.

4. I would hope the constant harping on Favre as the main culprit for the NFCC loss would end. You can point to how Manning didn't make a mistake all you want...but he had a running game to support him. Favre was carrying the offensive load because our running game was worth shit that night. If you try to win a game in 0 degree weather on the strength of passing alone, you likely will lose. The lack of a running game is hardly Favre's fault.

Bretsky
07-09-2008, 06:03 PM

I'd take that bet for some good change; players want to win now. Favre gives them the best chance.

RashanGary
07-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Favre does give a warm fuzzy feeling that you are going to get good QB play. However, the Favre family has said that the Packers didn't try very hard to keep Brett around. If that's the case, they seem to have a lot of confidence in Aaron Rodgers. Nobody has seen Aaron play and the only time he played meaningfull snaps he outplayed Favre.

If I had to bet money I'd go with the safe bet, Favre. It doesn't mean Rodgers can't out play the 38 year old Favre though. Rodgers might be a probowl QB. It's going to be an interesting year. It will be safer if Favre comes back, but it will be more fun if it's Rodgers just because of the unknown.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Perhaps we should have the entire team retire so we can get some guys capable of playing in 0 degree weather.

Ok, but this kind of suggestion would be far more valuable before the free agency period and the draft.