PDA

View Full Version : Murphy on Favre: 'He's really wavering'

packers11
07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Murphy on Favre: 'He's really wavering'
Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy largely deflected questions about the possibility of Brett Favre coming back during a "Tailgate Tour" stop in Fond du Lac.

Murphy he understood Favre's "wavering" because of his own experience leaving the game, but he echoed Favre's text message that it's "all rumors."

Here's an excerpt from the Q&A with reporters:

Q: Is he coming back?
At this point, and even Brett has said it, it’s really all rumors and speculation, and I think we just have to go back to, in early March, he had a very emotional, heartfelt press conference, and obviously, it was a difficult decision. … I think as a former player, I understand completely what he’s going through. It’s very difficult to leave the game, and sometimes, the longer you play, it makes it even more difficult. I think that he’s really wavering and dealing with that transition. But at this point, it’s really just rumor, and we really can’t react to anything beyond that.

So do you know if we'll see him in a Packers uniform again?
No, I don’t.

Did you get past any fans without being asked today?
We’ve had 5-year-old kids ask us about it. It’s obviously on a lot of people’s minds.

Will the situation be resolved by training camp?
I would certainly hope so.

Are a lot of fans calling you about it?
I’m getting some phone calls, and I think again, it really goes back to — and you look at so many players and not just football, but other sports, it’s not an easy decision and it’s not an easy process to end your career and how you do it, and it never ends the way you want or you would like, and I think that’s what we’re really dealing with here, is just Brett’s really struggling with what’s the right thing to do. … You look at that press conference — I mean, it was so emotional, and obviously he and his wife really struggled with the decision and made a heartfelt decision at that time.

We'll have more online from Murphy and players later tonight. Stay tuned ...

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

mraynrand
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
I wonder if Murphy takes as many direct calls from fans as Bob Harlan used to?

PlantPage55
07-09-2008, 08:22 AM

I wouldn't blame him if he didn't - because I'm sure the same dumb asses that call into 1250 AM every day must call him up with their bullshit.

Zool
07-09-2008, 08:38 AM

I wouldn't blame him if he didn't - because I'm sure the same dumb asses that call into 1250 AM every day must call him up with their bullshit.

Impossible. The guys that call into talk radio are sports experts, just ask them. They are merely waiting for the right GM job in a sport of their choosing.

sheepshead
07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Similar Stuff

Murphy, Harlan try to quell Favre furor
Team president, predecessor don't believe he'll return
By Tom Pelissero • tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com • July 9, 2008

Inside Fond du Lac High School, dozens of No. 4 jerseys — and not a single Aaron Rodgers shirt — dotted the crowd waiting to bid on Favre memorabilia in a charity auction.

Should the will-he-or-won't-he saga of Favre's comeback conundrum meet a messy end in the coming weeks, backlash from fans of the future Hall of Fame quarterback and his longtime team is inevitable.

But while Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy acknowledges the gravity of the outcome, neither he nor the man he replaced as guardian of the Packers' brand is expressing belief that Favre will decide to return for an 18th NFL season.

"It's a very delicate situation, because he has such a special place in Packers history," Murphy said as the crowd dispersed on Tuesday night.

"No player leaves the game gracefully. It's kind of the nature of what makes great players great, is they're competitors and they always want to compete and they want that next challenge, and it's hard to find that next thing that's going to give you that excitement and adrenaline. That's what we're seeing a little bit here."

Shortly after, Chairman Emeritus Bob Harlan added: "What I remember about him is he was ready to retire, and that's how I feel today. I think down deep, that's exactly how he feels."

Hints at a potential return for Favre, who announced his retirement in a tearful media conference March 6, have surfaced several times since.

It happened again a week ago, when ESPN reported and other media outlets, including the Press-Gazette, confirmed Favre had told Packers coach Mike McCarthy he had the "itch" to play again.

The Packers haven't addressed the reports and have no plans to do so unless Favre makes a formal statement. But Murphy, Harlan and the three players they brought on this week's Tailgate Tour — running back Brandon Jackson, receiver James Jones and offensive lineman Jason Spitz — faced repeated questions from fans and the media during their travels through the Fox Valley on Tuesday.

Jones was most direct, telling reporters, "I don't think he's coming back." Asked later by a youngster in a Favre jersey how badly he wanted the NFL's all-time leading passer to return, Jones smiled and said, "Aaron Rodgers is the guy, OK? It was great playing with Brett Favre. … He got out at a great time, he had a great career, and it's Aaron Rodgers' time now."

Not once during their time with the media or fans did any of the five answer a question as though Favre would play this season. It's a logical stance, given the indications the team wants no part of a Favre comeback, and should remain the party line throughout the tour, which moves on to Janesville and Stevens Point before wrapping Friday night at Marinette High School.

"We've had 5-year-old kids ask us about it," Murphy said. "It's obviously on a lot of people's minds."

Even if Favre remains silent, the issue likely will come to the forefront at least twice more before training camp opens July 28. Favre is scheduled to present former teammate Frank Winters at the Packers Hall of Fame banquet on July 19, and Murphy and General Manager Ted Thompson will face Packers shareholders at their annual meeting on July 24.

Murphy did say any decision on Favre's status with the team, should he request to be reinstated from the reserve/retired list, would be left up to the football side of the operation, headed by Thompson. However, Murphy did not present it as a likely scenario.

"I keep going back to his retirement announcement and how sincere and heartfelt that was," Murphy said. "I think it's pretty reasonable that, as an organization, we're going to move on."

Neither Murphy nor Harlan has spoken with Favre since the latest round of speculation began, but they have discussed the situation. The closest thing the team will come to an official statement made its position clear:

Despite the media frenzy, the Packers do not believe Favre's mind is made up.

"It's tough to any competitor to walk away," Harlan said. "Whether you talk (golfer) Jack Nicklaus or no matter who it is, when you've been at the top, it's tough to turn your back on it, so I'm not surprised at all. I think you'd almost be more surprised if it were the other way."

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Well, if the guy is WORKING OUT, then I'm guessing his mind is made up. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to figure out whether or not Favre has been working out.

GrnBay007
07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
But while Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy acknowledges the gravity of the outcome, neither he nor the man he replaced as guardian of the Packers' brand is expressing belief that Favre will decide to return for an 18th NFL season.

No disrespect to Mr. Murphy, but he called it wrong when he predicted Favre would return (before the retirement announcement). Not sure his predictions on this subject hold anymore weight than anyone on this forum at this time.

sharpe1027
07-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Well, if the guy is WORKING OUT, then I'm guessing his mind is made up. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to figure out whether or not Favre has been working out.

I worked out the other day, they better make room for me. I also saw Dan Marino was on a new training program to get into better shape, I wonder if the Dolphins are as worked up as we are. :D

Working out leaves the door open, not working out doesn't. I'm guessing that NOT working out shows his mind is made up. Working out may mean 1) he is at least considering it, even if he's not sure, 2) he likes to throw the ball around to high school kids or 3)he doesn't want to balloon up like Marino.

We'll see I guess.

LL2
07-09-2008, 10:18 AM
The one positive thing about this is that it is keeping the Packers in the news locally and nationaly everyday. It's better than hearing about Dallas or the Patriots. Keeping the Packers in the minds of the sports public is a good thing.

GrnBay007
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Who knows if this was posted in one of the other 16 Favre threads, but oh well :D

No way out for Packers
Johy Clayton Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What an amazing transition for Brett Favre. In 2007, he's the king of Wisconsin again, coming off one of his best seasons. Now, he's like that unpopular relative who always threatened to show up at your house for the summer and then plops himself on the couch.

(Too funny! :lol: )

General manager Ted Thompson isn't returning Favre's text messages. The current and former president of the team -- Mark Murphy and Bob Harlan -- spoke out Tuesday and sounded quite content with the idea of Favre staying retired.

Regardless of what top management in Green Bay thinks, it's going to be pretty hard to say no to Favre if he does want to come out of retirement. Cutting him isn't an option because he could potentially end up in the NFC North. Trading him won't be easy. Plus, who wants to officially be the person who will go down in history as the front office person who chased away Favre. If Favre wants to return, the Packers have no choice but to take him.

mraynrand
07-09-2008, 10:42 AM

I worked out the other day, they better make room for me. I also saw Dan Marino was on a new training program to get into better shape, I wonder if the Dolphins are as worked up as we are. :D

I think that if you're on the Nutrisystem(TM) diet, your return to the NFL is a lead pipe lock certainty.

packers11
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Although the Packers won't address reports until Brett Favre makes an official statement, it's clear that the team is trying to pressure him to stay retired.

Said Packers Chairman Emeritus Bob Harlan: "What I remember about him is he was ready to retire, and that's how I feel today." President and CEO Mark Murphy acknowledges the gravity of the situation, but added he thinks it's pretty reasonable that the organization is moving on. Receiver James Jones emphasized that Aaron Rodgers "is the guy, OK? It was great playing with Brett Favre . . . [but] it's Aaron Rodgers' time now." The ball is now in Favre's court to come out and make an official statement.

GrnBay007
07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
The ball is now in Favre's court to come out and make an official statement.

JUST DO IT BRETT!! :D

Tarlam!
07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Now players i.e. Harris and Jones have taken public views - and they are opposite.

This is not what is needed. 31 other teams and their fans are laughuíng at the Green Bay Packers. I hate being this vulnerable to fans of lesser teams.

mission
07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Now players i.e. Harris and Jones have taken public views - and they are opposite.

This is not what is needed. 31 other teams and their fans are laughuíng at the Green Bay Packers. I hate being this vulnerable to fans of lesser teams.

maybe germany is um... strange ? ... but i personally dont feel vulnerable at all... it's not like these are articles about how somehow the packers found a way to lose 17 games instead of 16 last year.

you're really being a drama queen on this one :lol:

vulnerable?

no one outside of us knows about little articles like harris and jones... no one is laughing. i got falcon fans just asking me what i would want personally and saying it's a tough situation for our GM....

they arent exactly laughing hysterically.

Tarlam!
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Tony. I will be able to sleep tonight.

Do me a favour, though. Stop the name calling.

texaspackerbacker
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
No, Harris and Jones do NOT have opposite views regarding Favre.

Harris said he thought Favre had an "itch" to still play--when asked a leading question. That's a far cry from acting on that "itch". It's natural for any player to feel something the first time training camp rolls around after they retire, especially if they retire still having a degree of ability to play. Unretiring is quite another matter--something that hardly ever happens.

Jones clearly stated that Favre retired at a good time, and that Rodgers is the man now. That could just be an off-the-cuff opinion, but more likely, it's the inside info coming from the team officials.

In any case, there is no contradiction between the two statements.

GBRulz
07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Actually, Al said he would welcome Favre back with open arms. That's quite the opposite of Jones saying it's Rodgers time now.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I hate being this vulnerable to fans of lesser teams.

Why are we vulnerable? We have the potential to have two capable QBs when most teams don't even have one. Why exactly is this such a massive problem that threatens to undo the team? I just think way too many Packer fans are overstating this situation.

The locker room would be very strongly behind Favre if he comes out publically and says that he is committed to returning and playing another season. Until Favre makes his intentions known publically, attempting to figure out the vibe among the players based on comments will be quite unreliable.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Actually, Al said he would welcome Favre back with open arms. That's quite the opposite of Jones saying it's Rodgers time now.

True...although was James asked the question in the context of KNOWING that Favre wished to return?

What Jones said is absolutely true AT THIS MOMENT. Rodgers is the man. Favre has not told the team to activate him, nor has he publically stated that he is 100% certain that he wants to return.

If Favre does admit that he wants to return, what would Jones think then? I'm not sure his comments were based on that scenario.

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Murphy's back!?

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
General manager Ted Thompson isn't returning Favre's text messages.

Text messages?

I can think of better ways to demonstrate my comittment to coming out of retirement and playing professional football for the paltry sum of $13M than:

hi ted - this is brettf.

?4u. arm feels gr8. can i come back?

bff,

brettf

p.s. If yes, pls send somebody down to get my locker. thx.

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
It seems like only yesterday that the Packers were talking about "doing something special" with Favre's vacated locker. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember McCarthy's comment about having it fumigated?

The story really is high comedy, not high drama. First they are gonna make a shrine out of an athletes locker, then they aren't returning text messages.

sheepshead
07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm hearing Murphy and Harlan being quoted on sports radio down here as gospel. (Bears fans dont want to see #4 in Green and Gold again)

texaspackerbacker
07-09-2008, 01:02 PM

True...although was James asked the question in the context of KNOWING that Favre wished to return?

What Jones said is absolutely true AT THIS MOMENT. Rodgers is the man. Favre has not told the team to activate him, nor has he publically stated that he is 100% certain that he wants to return.

If Favre does admit that he wants to return, what would Jones think then? I'm not sure his comments were based on that scenario.

If Favre actually came back, virtually everybody would switch to positive.

That wouldn't make "virtually everybody" right, though.

The bottom line is what is most likely to make the team win it all next season. That's pretty debateable, but I think the answer is Rodgers. But if Favre does end up as the starting QB, then HE becomes the best hope.

BTW, Harris's "open arms" and Jones's "good time to retire" are NOT contradictory. Harris didn't comment one way or the other on whether Favre SHOULD unretire, and Jones didn't say he would be unhappy if Favre came back.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
The bottom line is what is most likely to make the team win it all next season. That's pretty debateable, but I think the answer is Rodgers.

Favre took essentially the same team (with less experience and having Grant only half a year) to a 13-3 record and within an eyelash of the Super Bowl last year.

Thinking that Aaron Rodgers, who has never started an NFL game in his life, will provide the Packers a better option is a tremendous stretch.

Listen, if you want to argue that getting Rodgers in there now helps us have a better chance in 2-3 years...great. I can see that logic.

Arguing that putting Rodgers in now is the best choice for winning in 2008? That can get you locked up in the looney bin.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Thinking that Aaron Rodgers, who has never started an NFL game in his life, will provide the Packers a better option is a tremendous stretch.

Unless you believe what you saw in the Dallas game.

Before you get all defensive, I think Brett gives us a better chance of winning this year. But I understand the other side of the argument too. It ain't that crazy.

GrnBay007
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
31 other teams and their fans are laughuíng at the Green Bay Packers. I hate being this vulnerable to fans of lesser teams.

The only reason they would be laughing IF Favre wants to return is IF the Packers are stupid enough NOT to allow him back.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
31 other teams and their fans are laughuíng at the Green Bay Packers. I hate being this vulnerable to fans of lesser teams.

The only reason they would be laughing IF Favre wants to return is IF the Packers are stupid enough NOT to allow him back.

Oh, they're laughing. It doesn't matter what's true. It doesn't matter what is not true. Our foes love any source of GB turmoil. It's inbred into them.

cpk1994
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Who knows if this was posted in one of the other 16 Favre threads, but oh well :D

No way out for Packers
Johy Clayton Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What an amazing transition for Brett Favre. In 2007, he's the king of Wisconsin again, coming off one of his best seasons. Now, he's like that unpopular relative who always threatened to show up at your house for the summer and then plops himself on the couch.

(Too funny! :lol: )

General manager Ted Thompson isn't returning Favre's text messages. The current and former president of the team -- Mark Murphy and Bob Harlan -- spoke out Tuesday and sounded quite content with the idea of Favre staying retired.

Regardless of what top management in Green Bay thinks, it's going to be pretty hard to say no to Favre if he does want to come out of retirement. Cutting him isn't an option because he could potentially end up in the NFC North. Trading him won't be easy. Plus, who wants to officially be the person who will go down in history as the front office person who chased away Favre. If Favre wants to return, the Packers have no choice but to take him.Talk about taking something completly out of conext. John Clayton is really reaching when he claims the Packers are content with Favre staying retired. What a clown.

The Leaper
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Unless you believe what you saw in the Dallas game.

Rodgers did play well in the Dallas game...but let's not get crazy here. Rodgers was not the guy the Cowboys gameplanned for. The whole dynamic changes when Rodgers has all the pressure on his shoulders and every defensive coordinator plotting how to ruin him specifically. Teams would take away the shorter routes and force Rodgers to beat them deep.

I'm not saying Rodgers sucks. I think he is a capable QB...although his inexperience would cost the team quite a bit in 2008. That is just how it works in the NFL. It takes young QBs time to get adjusted and for the game to slow down around them. It also takes time for the team to develop chemistry and confidence in the QB.

Those are factors that aren't hurdles with Favre...which is why he makes far more sense as the starting QB in 2008 if he is fully committed to a return. The question revolves around his level of commitment and focus...and we don't have an answer on that yet.

LL2
07-09-2008, 05:07 PM

Text messages?

I can think of better ways to demonstrate my comittment to coming out of retirement and playing professional football for the paltry sum of $13M than:

hi ted - this is brettf.

bff,

brettf

Favre probably wants a new locker and keep old one at his house. That way he can get another shipped to his house when he retires again.

Joemailman
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Jones' comment was very similar to What Mark Tauscher said back when Brett suggested he could possibly come back if Rodgers was hurt:

"It's tough when you're getting a lot of questions. I'm sure he loves playing, he's made his decision and we as a football team are ready to move forward. We're not going to worry about all those speculations. We respect Brett. He was a great teammate. But this is Aaron Rodgers' team right now."

This statement doesn't necessarily mean that Tauscher wouldn't want Favre back. I think it was a statement of support for Aaron Rodgers. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of players tired of the media's obsession with everything Favre.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Text messages?

hi ted - this is brettf.

bff,

brettf

Favre probably wants a new locker and keep old one at his house. That way he can get another shipped to his house when he retires again.

If he keeps it up, he'd be able to equip the local highschool with a new pro style locker room by the year 2050. But it's going to take a lot of text messages.

texaspackerbacker
07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
The bottom line is what is most likely to make the team win it all next season. That's pretty debateable, but I think the answer is Rodgers.

Favre took essentially the same team (with less experience and having Grant only half a year) to a 13-3 record and within an eyelash of the Super Bowl last year.

Listen, if you want to argue that getting Rodgers in there now helps us have a better chance in 2-3 years...great. I can see that logic.

Arguing that putting Rodgers in now is the best choice for winning in 2008? That can get you locked up in the looney bin.

That's exactly what I've been "loony" enough to argue in about seven threads now. What you aren't taking into consideration, Nutz, is the supreme effort at preparation Favre made last year after basically playing like crap in '06. Now, he supposedly wants to scale down to 80% of the effort of last year--which spells something like '06 or worse.

Contrast that with Rodgers, who has looked pretty solid, has had three seasons to develop and learn, and who would be playing with the same supremely talented bunch that, arguably, carried Favre to such great success last season.

As for those fans of "31 other teams", how many of them foresaw the great resurgence of the Packers last year like at least some of us are on record as predicting?

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Bombs away with Rodgers!

There are risks going with either guy, I'm ready to move on. Rodgers is young, ready and rested.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
As for those fans of "31 other teams", how many of them foresaw the great resurgence of the Packers last year like at least some of us are on record as predicting?

Ok, wait a minute - you predict the same thing every year. Including the 4-12 year!!! I bet you nailed it right on the head in 66, 67 and 96.

Bretsky
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM

That's exactly what I've been "loony" enough to argue in about seven threads now. What you aren't taking into consideration, Nutz, is the supreme effort at preparation Favre made last year after basically playing like crap in '06. Now, he supposedly wants to scale down to 80% of the effort of last year--which spells something like '06 or worse.

Contrast that with Rodgers, who has looked pretty solid, has had three seasons to develop and learn, and who would be playing with the same supremely talented bunch that, arguably, carried Favre to such great success last season.

Not many of us predicted 13-3 the last time we went 4-12 either :wink: :lol:

bobblehead
07-09-2008, 09:51 PM

Text messages?

hi ted - this is brettf.

bff,

brettf

I'm not as hip as I used to be....bff...that means brett favre forever right?