PDA

View Full Version : From the MN perspective

mngolf19
07-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Here is a blog from the Vikes beat writer about the Favre situation.

The Favre situation
July 8th, 2008 – 1:28 PM by Judd Zulgad
I know, I know. You are Vikings fans and you don’t want to hear another word about Brett Favre being retired, not retired or whatever else ESPN, Peter King or anyone else is saying about him these days.

Sorry, but I can’t help myself. This Favre story isn’t going to go away — did anyone really think this guy was going to ride his tractor off into the sunset? – and thus I feel obligated to look at it from this perspective: What type of impact does this have on the Vikings?

Despite the fact many have speculated Minnesota would be an ideal landing place for Favre, the Packers aren’t going to let that happen. The only way Favre ends up with the Vikings or Bears — two clubs that would seem like pretty good fits — is if the Packers release him. No matter how much Green Bay General Manager Ted Thompson wants Favre to go away, he isn’t going to simply let Favre walk. It would be too dangerous because he knows that Favre might sign with one of the Packers’ arch-rivals because he’s, well, Favre.

But even if the Vikings have no chance at Favre, the guess here is that they are feeling pretty good about what’s going on in Green Bay. That’s because if Favre does want to un-retire he has put the Packers in a terrible situation only weeks before training camp opens. Favre might have some good football left in him but Thompson now faces what appears to be a no-win situation.

The Packers trade Favre: they get second-guessed to no end and Aaron Rodgers sees his stats put up next to Favre’s for 16 weeks. The Packers keep Favre: they look like a franchise that is being run not by management but one player. Vikings coach Brad Childress always talks about “controlling the message” when it comes to his team. So if the Packers give in and take Favre back what is the message they are sending to their players: Everyone should listen to Mike McCarthy but Favre can do pretty much whatever he wants.

This might have been true before but now the whole world will know it and that’s pretty hard to respect if you’re a player. The Packers have spent the offseason focusing on Rodgers taking over as their quarterback and entering a new era. That could all be put on hold and if that happens there will be some ticked off people in Green Bay.

Chemistry in sports can be overrated but it’s a mistake to dismiss it. The circus that could follow this Favre situation has the ability to throw a big-time curveball into the Packers’ chemistry and if that happens the Vikings should be thrilled.

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1687#more-1687

3irty1
07-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I'd say this most affects the Vikings because they can get embarrassed on National TV in a couple different ways.

texaspackerbacker
07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I think the guy made some valid points.

The Packer leadership doesn't really want Favre back, but no way they release him and have him go to the Vikings or Bears.

This AGAIN pre-supposes the extremely shaky assumption that Favre even wants to come back to a degree that he would take any steps to make it happen.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I think it was a pretty objective article. Interesting read, and hard to argue.

SMACKTALKIE
07-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I'd say this most affects the Vikings because they can get embarrassed on National TV in a couple different ways.

Do any of those ways include retiring the number of the QB the pack would be facing Monday night?

WHO CARES!?? It' not going to happen. No way Favre will be a Viking or a Bear or a Lion.

From a MN perspective I feel sorry for GB fans right now having to deal with all this BS. I can't wait to just enjoy some football being played.

Zool
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I can't wait to just enjoy some football being played.

Best thing I've read in a week.