PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers speaks

RashanGary
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
More from Rodgers
As noted in the previous post, Aaron Rodgers didn't comment on the Brett Favre comeback talk during a conference call with reporters this morning in advance of the American Century Championship celebrity golf tournament.

Here's what he did have to say ...

How do you feel about the rumors?
As the organization has commented, I’m going to keep it pretty much the same. I’m not really going to speculate about any rumors that are out there.

Thoughts on the way the media is reacting ...
The media has a job to do, so they’re reporting the information they get. But other than, I’m not really going to speculate on any rumors that are out there at the moment.

Bothered by the chatter?
I’ve been up in the mountains hanging out with my family, so I’ve been pretty immune to any media reports out there. So, that’s basically what I’m doing. I’m up here in Tahoe playing the American Century Championship, and that’s kind of my focus the next four or five days.

Enjoying being away during all of this?
It’s been a good offseason. I’ve been spending time in San Diego. James Jones came out to throw and work out with me. Brett Swain has been down here since the (rookie) symposium. I feel like I’m in real good shape right now. Took a little bit of time to spend with the family up in the mountains with no cell service, so that was nice, and now I’m enjoying the best week of the summer, which is being here in Tahoe.

Preparations change?
As usual, I’m coming back more than a week early for training camp, just to get my body accustomed to the Midwest time again and get a couple workouts in with Rock (Gullickson, the Packers’ strength and conditioning coach) before we start. So, nothing’s changed. I’ll be right on schedule and looking forward to a good training camp.

Have the Packers reached out in the past week?
I am in constant contact in the offseason with coach (Mike) McCarthy and (quarterbacks coach) Tom Clements, so nothing’s changed as far as that goes.

Had any recent conversation with Favre?
Me and Brett got along real well in Green Bay, became good friends, but I have not talked to him recently about his future plans.

Able to completely focus on taking over, or is media distraction taking away from that?
Well, I’m in the offseason right now, so I’ve been away from most of it for the most part. I’ve been down in San Diego and up in Chico (Calif.) with my family, working out with the trainer in Chico and working out down in southern California with a few of my receivers, and some other pro athletes down there. So, I’ve been pretty focused on what I’ve got to do to get ready for training camp.

How excited about team?
I’m extremely excited. We’ve got a great, young team coming back, a lot of talent at a lot of different positions, and it’s been a great offseason. We’ve had nearly 100 percent attendance for most of the offseason and a lot of guys working hard and a lot of guys excited about the direction we’re going. So, it’s exciting being a part of that.

Any aspect of game focused on in offseason?
I think it’s still mental. Our quarterback school that we went through in the offseason is a big mental challenge for us as we go through the entire offense, read and diagnose defenses. We watch a lot of hours of film each day, and that’s been the most important thing for me is mentally, totally understanding our scheme, what we’re trying to do, and trying to figure out what the other side of the ball is doing as well.

In your mind, is there any possibility that Brett is still a teammate in 2008?
Like I said … I’m not going to speculate on any rumor that might be out there. I’m just excited about the season and the opportunity that’s in front of the Packers right now.

How handle next three weeks? Try to detach from all this, or check in on daily basis to see what developments are?
I’m not going to change anything. I’m going to be here this week, I’m going to be down in L.A. next week, and I’ll be in Green Bay after that. So, that’s kind of the schedule and I’m sticking to it.

That's it for football questions. (I'm not going to type up all his golf answers right now. Demovsky's our golf reporter and he's on vacation.) We'll have more on Rodgers in Thursday's Press-Gazette. And if you missed it, check out what Mark Murphy and Bob Harlan had to say on the whole Favre bit last night.

However, receiver James Jones on Tuesday said he was working out with Rodgers in San Diego last week, when the most recent speculation began. According to Jones, his low-key teammate was “filled up” after previous comeback speculation and shrugged off the latest round.

“My phone was blowing up, so I’m like, I know he’s going to be hearing it,” said Jones, who has stated he doesn’t expect Favre to come back. “The next day, we worked out, and he was just like, ‘Hey, shoot, another thing to do every day.’”

Rodgers said he has been in regular contact with Packers coach Mike McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements, but no more than usual. He said he has not spoken recently with Favre, who also was supposed to play in the golf tournament but pulled out.

Rodgers has spent time in San Diego throwing to Jones and rookie receiver Brett Swain, as well as working out with a personal trainer near his Chico, Calif., home, and feels he’s in “real good shape.” After the golf tournament ends on Sunday, Rodgers said he’ll spend a week in Los Angeles and then return to Green Bay a week before training camp opens on July 28 to work out with strength and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson and get adjusted to Central time.

No distractions, Rodgers said, will disturb his routine.

“He’s a calm dude, man,” Jones said. “(Favre speculation) happened before — maybe not this late, but it happened before, so he’s just taking it day by day. If something happens, something happens.”

For more from Rodgers’ conference call, check out the Insiders Blog.

RashanGary
07-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Jones and Rodgers both seem to be working really hard. It will be interesting to see how their chemistry carrys over to the season. Jones is a physically tough dude. He's explosive. He's got great hands. His speed is so/so, but it's definitly good enough.

I love the Nelson pick but it's asking an awfull lot to get a rookie WR to put up big numbers. I'd rather see him learn the offense, contribute maybe 20 or 30 catches this season and then have a great off season and start chipping away at Drivers snaps next year. For right now, I just can't see him passing a very talented James Jones with Jones having such a big leg up with the full offseason of gains in the weight room and the time in the offense.

Favre talk aside, this team seems to be as hard working and focused as any Packer team I can remember. On top of that, they appear to be the most talented Packer team in a long time. They were very young last year and should see a lot of physical and mental gains from a slew of important core players. Favre or no Favre, I look forward to a good season.

Bretsky
07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Good interview; a part of me feels bad for AROD. He was flamed here and there by the media during his first two years when he was learning. I get the feeling based on what I've heard from the Packer beat reporters he feels like he was not treated fairly and given a chance by the media. Now that it appears it's his game.....the media has created a circus you might as well label as the Favre watch. This will be interesting. I'm sure some of the Packers brass will try to talk Favre out of returning. If he wants to play, I just hope they don't stand in his way...whether it be in GB or elsewhere. As long as they do that this should not have to get ugly and GB can live with their decision.

bobblehead
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I agree with you that this team is hard working and focused. They are young and hungry....I also think this is a reflection on the leadership of the organization from TT on down.

DannoMac21
07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Please stay retired Brett.

cpk1994
07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Nice to see that Aaron understands how to use "No comment" in handling the media. Brett sure hasn't.

RashanGary
07-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Nice to see that Aaron understands how to use "No comment" in handling the media. Brett sure hasn't.

That's what I said after his first media mistake. I said it's Rodgers first time getting burned. If he doesn't learn then I'll start tearing into him like I did with the Diva. It's nice to see he's learning.

The Leaper
07-10-2008, 07:59 AM
That's what I said after his first media mistake. I said it's Rodgers first time getting burned. If he doesn't learn then I'll start tearing into him like I did with the Diva. It's nice to see he's learning.

Good to see Rodgers shut his yap.

Personally, I despise the jackass for his rude and ignorant comments about the FANS of Green Bay. You can sit here and label Favre a "diva" all you want, but he never came out and gave the fans of the Packers a verbal middle finger like Rodgers did.

Trust me...this isn't about Rodgers learning. This is about Rodgers getting a royal ass chewing by Packer brass. Rodgers is as much of a "diva" as Favre is...all NFL QBs in today's era are divas.

texaspackerbacker
07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Oh these God damned media types! Even the relatively benign ones are like the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

Way To Go, ARod for not succumbing to the damn divisive questioning from this bastard.

Sometime, I wish one of the Packers would just go off on one of these idiots--not physically--they'd probably get in trouble for that, but tell the little piece of shit what a low and stinking profession the news media is.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh these God damned media types! Even the relatively benign ones are like the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

Way To Go, ARod for not succumbing to the damn divisive questioning from this bastard.

Sometime, I wish one of the Packers would just go off on one of these idiots--not physically--they'd probably get in trouble for that, but tell the little piece of shit what a low and stinking profession the news media is.

Brett could shut them up pretty easily with a 15 minute press conference. If he wanted to.

texaspackerbacker
07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Even that wouldn't shut the idiots up, and it would be giving them respect they don't deserve.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Even that wouldn't shut the idiots up, and it would be giving them respect they don't deserve.

There's no more speculation on what Brett would say once he actually says it. He could end it today. If he wanted to.

texaspackerbacker
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
He already said, "it's all just rumors", and somehow, that wasn't enough. I've said several times, he's too nice a guy to get rude and tell the bastards to shut the fuck up and get outta his face. That might do it, but why should he tarnish his nice guy image just to give the damn media a quote.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
He already said, "it's all just rumors", and somehow, that wasn't enough. I've said several times, he's too nice a guy to get rude and tell the bastards to shut the fuck up and get outta his face. That might do it, but why should he tarnish his nice guy image just to give the damn media a quote.

He allegedly sent a text saying "it's all just rumors". And he'd say that even if he was still thinking about coming back. He doesn't have to be rude about it. Just truthful.

He could do it out of loyalty to the Packers, and take the heat off Ted for allegedly not returning text messages. He could do it out of loyalty to Aaron, so he doesn't get badgered about it over and over again at charity outings. He could do it out loyalty to all the rest of his teammates, so they no longer get asked to pick sides.

Brett has put a lot of people in an awkward and ugly situation. I think he knows exactly what he's doing, and he's acting out of loyalty to himself. With no regard for others.

bobblehead
07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Why should TT drop his vacation and come rushing back because brett sent him a text message. I wouldn't either. I would have hit reply: on vacation, catch me july 18th: send.

texaspackerbacker
07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I really don't think there is any heat on Thompson, Scott. And how exactly has Favre NOT been truthful? The only thing he has said--allegedly, as you point out--is that this mess is all RUMORS.

And who in the hell generated those rumors? The God damned shit-spewing media!

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
And who in the hell generated those rumors? The God damned shit-spewing media!

It depends on whether you believe all of this started completely on its own. All by itself. For no reason at all.

Or, maybe Bus planted a couple of seeds hoping to grow his golden goose.

Gunakor
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM

There's no more speculation on what Brett would say once he actually says it. He could end it today. If he wanted to.

He actually said back in March that he was retired. Did that stop speculation? No. And neither will anything he says today or tomorrow. It's the damned media we're talking about here. They won't let this one go.

cpk1994
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM

He actually said back in March that he was retired. Did that stop speculation? No. And neither will anything he says today or tomorrow. It's the damned media we're talking about here. They won't let this one go.No it didn't stop becuase Favre then went on Letterman and threw gasoline on the fire. Not to mention the fact that his brorther Scot can't seem to shut up.

Joemailman
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM

He actually said back in March that he was retired. Did that stop speculation? No. And neither will anything he says today or tomorrow. It's the damned media we're talking about here. They won't let this one go.

It's not the damned media. It's the God-damned shit-spewing media. What are you? Some sort of atheist?

falco
07-10-2008, 05:41 PM

It's not the damned media. It's the God-damned shit-spewing media. What are you? Some sort of atheist?

and to think, we all thought this media bullshit ended when that fucker tim russert died