PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson gives back to small town, Oregon

oregonpackfan
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Find attached a great article showing Cleveland Browns Quarterback Derek Anderson leading a 4 day football camp in his home town of Scappoose, Oregon, population 5,900.

To assist the camp being affordable for the young boys, he charged just $40 a kid for the entire camp. Other camps offered by NFL stars can cost as much as $800 for a week.

Anderson, who played for Oregon State, persuaded former Beaver teammates Steven Jackson, now a tailback for the St. Louis Rams, and Mike Hass, a WR for the Chicago Bears to help run the camp.

I personally saw Anderson play high school ball when he led his undefeated Scappoose team into my home town. At the time, our local school was also undefeated. Both schools were ranked in the top 5 in the state for 3A football.

Anderson just shredded our secondary with all types of short, medium, and long-range passes. No matter what type of coverage or blitzes our coach threw at him, Anderson completely dominated the game. I can't remember the final score but Scappoose won by at least 20 points.

As you can see from reading the article, Anderson is a very grounded, all-American type of young man.

http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1215658512190120.xml&coll=7

Fosco33
07-10-2008, 07:13 PM
That's a sweet deal for a kid - and a nice gesture by a 'good' guy...

And what a change from just reading about BF rumors all day 8-)

Tarlam!
07-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Excellent stuff OPF and what I found particularly encouraging was the site has the scoreboard of the GB-Seattle game still posted.

You sure know how to to pick 'em! 8-)