PDA

View Full Version : Favre Official Website puts heat on Thompson

motife
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/

"FAVRE SITE PUTS HEAT ON THOMPSON
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 10, 2008, 2:43 p.m.
Our friends at Packergeeks pointed out to us that the official Brett Favre web site is currently featuring an article that puts some heat on Packers General Manager Ted Thompson for Thompson’s stance on Favre’s possible comeback.

The Favre site re-posts a story by Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette under the headline, “Thompson takes heat for Favre retirement.” The story features one quote after another from people close to Favre, all criticizing Thompson.

Among the quotes are Favre’s mother, Bonita Favre, saying, “He has felt like that for the last couple of years, that the Packers didn’t really want him back,” and Biloxi Sun Herald reporter Al Jones, a friend of Favre’s, saying, “It all comes down to Ted Thompson. The main thing is the man has shown no respect to perhaps the greatest quarterback in their franchise history. Brett’s a little disappointed. He feels like he can still play. He knows he can still play.”

We don’t know if Favre actually has anything to do with the official Brett Favre web site, but the site comes across as though it’s intended to give fans a piece of Favre’s mind. So posting that Vandermause story, with all those quotes critical of Thompson, speaks volumes."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/10/favre-site-puts-heat-on-thompson/

This is a little reminiscent of his Javon Walker, Sterling Sharpe activity. It's an unnecessary "stirring of the pot". Like the heat needs to be turned up even more??

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Among the quotes are Favre’s mother, Bonita Favre, saying, “He has felt like that for the last couple of years, that the Packers didn’t really want him back,”
she sounds like a little league mom. What was thompson supposed to do to make Favre feel more welcome? Not groom a replacement when Favre was constantly talking about retirement? Completely ridiculous.

"He feels like he can still play. He knows he can still play."
That's fine, but he retired.

sheepshead
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I want to cut Thompson's nuts off.

Signed,

Bonita Favre

GoPackGo
07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/Pictures/Jokes/Applause.gif

Lurker64
07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
It's odd that this is "putting heat on Thompson" when the article on the Favre site included the following:

“I never understood that, quite frankly,” Thompson said. “We went about this offseason the way we have the last several, making sure Brett knew that Mike (McCarthy) and I both felt he’s still a good player, can still play the game, can still win and that our team was going to be in a position to win. I think that’s what a veteran looks for: Do we have a chance to win? And can I still play?

“Other than that, it’s not my place to try to convince someone that they’re making a bad decision or a good decision. It’s my place to say, these are the facts as I see them, now it’s up to you and Deanna to make your choice.”

That suggests Thompson would have welcomed Favre back. Thus, it’s puzzling that Bonita Favre and Jones are so critical of the Packers’ general manager.

Was Thompson supposed to get down on his knees in March and beg Brett to return? That would be a ridiculous expectation.

Since when does a superstar quarterback need to be coddled? If Brett wanted to play but perceived he wasn’t wanted, he should have drawn on his competitive nature to prove Thompson and the organization wrong.

It should be noted Favre went out of his way at his retirement press conference on March 6 to thank Thompson and absolve the Packers organization of playing a role in his departure.

Now *IF* Thompson is telling the truth about how he handled this, and *IF* Brett actually wanted people to beg him on bended knee in order to get him to come back, Thompson is in the right and Favre needs to grow up/unswell his head.

motife
07-10-2008, 03:46 PM
the headline of the article on Favre's website is :

"Thompson takes heat for Favre's retirement"

This is not exactly a "feel good" headline for a fan website by a player, even though it is the real title of the article.

3irty1
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't think there is anything new here. I wouldn't be surprised if Favre never even read this himself.

Deputy Nutz
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I want to cut Thompson's nuts off.

Signed,

Bonita Favre

Where are your quotation marks? If this is letter form, where is the proper greeting?

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Isn't it just showing an article published about Favre and aren't there others? If I remember the website, they post a lot of stories that have to do with Favre. I doubt Brett is picking and choosing which stories to post. Much ado about nothing.

MJZiggy
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Exactly, Harv. They routinely use articles from JS and Press Gazette. And they use the article and headline as originally published.

FavreChild
07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a hard time believing BF is proficient at text messaging, let alone updating a web site. Maybe his daughters taught him basic HTML. :mrgreen:

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a hard time believing BF is proficient at text messaging, let alone updating a web site. Maybe his daughters taught him basic HTML. :mrgreen:

Wasn't there an article within the last couple of years where Brett joked about his cell phone being 10 years old? If that's true, he can't text.

motife
07-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Favre is a proven text messager. So he knows that at least. Probably has to answer them from his daughters.

They may have posted the article because Farve's mother is quoted in it. (bashing Thompson.)

GBRulz
07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
OBF is a place to buy merchandise from Fan 4-Ever located in Sun Prairie. That is its #1 purpose. To draw more visitors, it added a message forum and has an RSS-like news feed, which links almost any Packer article having to do with Favre.

Talk about a misleading headline though. I guess packergeeks isn't just a clever name.