PDA

View Full Version : Murphy : ..as an organization.. we're going to move on..

motife
07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
the following is being touted as Murphy closing the door on Favre's return :

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-94/Packers-CEO-downplays-Favre--itch-.html

Packers CEO downplays Favre 'itch'
July 9, 2008 10:56 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

Whether intentional or otherwise, a group of caravanning Green Bay Packers spent part of Tuesday painting quarterback Brett Favre as a retired player who misses the game -- and not one who is trying to get back into it.

Mark Murphy, the Packers' new president and CEO, told the Green Bay Press-Gazette that "no player leaves the game gracefully." During a promotional visit to Fond du Lac High School, Murphy added, "It's kind of the nature of what makes great players great, is they're competitors and they always want to compete and they want that next challenge, and it's hard to find that next thing that's going to give you that excitement and adrenaline. That's what we're seeing a little bit here."

Later, Murphy said, "I keep going back to his retirement announcement and how sincere and heartfelt that was. I think it's pretty reasonable that, as an organization, we're going to move on."
Murphy's sentiments -- echoed by Bob Harlan, his predecessor -- may well represent the Packers' true interpretation of Favre's situation. But it also positions the organization for the moment when -- and if -- Favre publicly announces his plans to play. (Or, at least, formally requests the Packers remove him from their reserve/retired list.)

The Packers know their least painful scenario is for Favre to remain retired. They also know how difficult it will be to win the public-relations battle if Favre presses the issue at a time when the organization, in Murphy's words, is moving on.

Murphy's response reminds the public that four months ago, a teary Favre said on national television that he didn't want to play any longer. The Packers took Favre at his word, installed Aaron Rodgers as their starter and began the journey into a new era. Eventually, the Packers will consider the issue a matter of Favre keeping his word.

Bretsky
07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
TT should be the one saying this if it is true; but then again didn't Murphy also flap off on how he expects a decision by end of week on Favre's retirement when the reality was he was not ready to decide ?

Regardless I'm still of the view that the Packers brass does not want to deal with this. If they get the letter, I hope they move fast in meeting with Favre, and granting him his release. I'd be fine with a trade as well; I'm just ready for it to all go away and if they are forced to make a decision they will be judged by it.

motife
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
TT should be the one saying this if it is true; but then again didn't Murphy also flap off on how he expects a decision by end of week on Favre's retirement when the reality was he was not ready to decide ?

This may be a backdoor campaign to mollify the fans and take the heat off Thompson.Here's Bob Harlan also from yesterday :

“(Favre) left at such a great time. It was a great season, he had a wonderful year. It was a good time to go. you always hate to see somebody come back and try to do something maybe when their best times are past. I felt badly when (Hall of Fame defensive end) Reggie (White) came back and played in Carolina in 2000 because he wasn’t the same person. You want to remember somebody when they’re at the top of their game, and Brett certainly was last year.”

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports//295309

packers11
07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
haha Harlan makes it sound like Favre has been out of the game for 2-3 years... He has only been retired for a couple of months and missed NO FOOTBALL...

He is comparing Reggie Whites comeback to Brett Favres :?: :roll:

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm kind of surprised they commented. I guess they finally got tired of taking darts....

Bretsky
07-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm kind of surprised they commented. I guess they finally got tired of taking darts....

Yes, part of me says they should be above that
and
The other part of me says the game was started elsewhere so they should be able to play too

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 09:07 PM

and
The other part of me says the game was started elsewhere so they should be able to play too

Kind of sneaky keeping Ted out of it. But it's rather ingenious just referring back to what Brett said a couple of months ago.

Excellent find motife.

Bretsky
07-10-2008, 09:12 PM

and

Kind of sneaky keeping Ted out of it. But it's rather ingenious just referring back to what Brett said a couple of months ago.

It really is genius like; Bob Harlan is adored. Murphy...not really sure any comments from him help one bit. Actually he should probably keep quiet and let Harlan do the dirty work.

But they take the onus off of TT some; who is getting whipped by the national media on the talk radio shows.

Dang, I wish I was in the car all day lately; Packer talk is everywhere... ESPN is going nuts with their story...Mike and Mike, Colin Cower, Turico and his guest, Van Pelt...etc..... the majority of their analysts have not been kind to our GM.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
..... the majority of their analysts have not been kind to our GM.

Makes sense. Favre is an institution. Ted isn't.

Joemailman
07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
..... the majority of their analysts have not been kind to our GM.

Makes sense. Favre is an institution. Ted isn't.

The media has never really given Ted the much credit for the team he has built. Ted won't get his due until the Packers win without Favre.

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Eventually, the Packers will consider the issue a matter of Favre keeping his word.

This is a lame perspective. If a player decides to come out of retirement, they haven't broken their word.

I'm a little tired of the spin that the Packers are damaged by Favre wanting to return to football. It simply gives them more choices. The only "damage" is that TT could look bad if he makes a choice that ends up being less successful than other options might have been. So what.

Bretsky
07-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Eventually, the Packers will consider the issue a matter of Favre keeping his word.

This is a lame perspective. If a player decides to come out of retirement, they haven't broken their word.

I'm a little tired of the spin that the Packers are damaged by Favre wanting to return to football. It simply gives them more choices. The only "damage" is that TT could look bad if he makes a choice that ends up being less successful than other options might have been. So what.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Guiness
07-10-2008, 11:05 PM

Holy shit! HH said something deep, intuitive and insightful. And didn't follow it up with a comment about La Leche League or a backhanded crack about the Nutz/Murphy/MTP love triangle! Hell hath indeed frozen over!

Anyways, fully agree. Favre returning in and of itself SHOULD NOT hurt the Packers. If they allow it to fracture the dressing room, or something of the sort, that's on them (MM and TT) not Favre.

I also don't get all this crap about Favre coming back after he's done. There's an article about it at Sportsline, comparing him to some other stars that went back out when they shouldn't have, like Reggie, Deon (his return with Baltimore), Rice (in Seattle) or Bruce Smith - but those guys stuck around after they were struggling to earn a roster spot. Favre is still easily top ten, arguably top 5 at his position.

bobblehead
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM

Holy shit! HH said something deep, intuitive and insightful. And didn't follow it up with a comment about La Leche League or a backhanded crack about the Nutz/Murphy/MTP love triangle! Hell hath indeed frozen over!

Anyways, fully agree. Favre returning in and of itself SHOULD NOT hurt the Packers. If they allow it to fracture the dressing room, or something of the sort, that's on them (MM and TT) not Favre.

I also don't get all this crap about Favre coming back after he's done. There's an article about it at Sportsline, comparing him to some other stars that went back out when they shouldn't have, like Reggie, Deon (his return with Baltimore), Rice (in Seattle) or Bruce Smith - but those guys stuck around after they were struggling to earn a roster spot. Favre is still easily top ten, arguably top 5 at his position.

Favre returning to the packers will indeed hurt the team now. MM has staked his control and command of this team on all veterans participating in mini's and OTA's unless they are injured. If he lets favre do an end around his law and reinstitutes him as a starter what message is sent to woodson and harris who have come around and capitulated to MM's demands?? How about the rookies who have bought into his message of being 100% dedicated to the team and winning.

If they let favre come back in and hand him the starters job it sends a horrendous message. One thing that makes great coaches great is having complete control of a football team.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:03 AM

The damage is all the speculation and uncertainty, not that Brett wants to return to football. Brett seems to be in no hurry to clear up the mystery. Brett needs to simply tell the team what he's doing, so the franchise can figure out what its going to do. The team doesn't have any choices until Brett finally gets around to revealing what his intentions are. Everybody is waiting on him.

Play. Or Retire. I don't really care which. But make up your fucking mind already.

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 12:10 AM

Favre returning to the packers will indeed hurt the team now. MM has staked his control and command of this team on all veterans participating in mini's and OTA's unless they are injured. If he lets favre do an end around his law and reinstitutes him as a starter what message is sent to woodson and harris who have come around and capitulated to MM's demands?? How about the rookies who have bought into his message of being 100% dedicated to the team and winning.

If they let favre come back in and hand him the starters job it sends a horrendous message. One thing that makes great coaches great is having complete control of a football team.

It says somebody can retire and change his mind.

As Harlan correctly noted Green Bay can elect to not take him back if they choose. To if the brass is overwhelmingly concerned with any message it sends they have the option to trade him for little or release him so he can choose his new home.

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM

The damage is all the speculation and uncertainty, not that Brett wants to return to football. Brett seems to be in no hurry to clear up the mystery. Brett needs to simply tell the team what he's doing, so the franchise can figure out what its going to do. Everybody is waiting on him.

Play. Or Retire. I don't really care which. But make up your fucking mind already.

Agree

NFL Live had the GB reporter interviewed tonight. Mike Vandermouse....something like that. He had a pretty strong opinion that the Packers are trying pretty hard behind the scenes to convince Brett Favre to stay retired. Probably in their best interests.....but if Favre wants to play I too wish it'd get over with too.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:14 AM

As Harlan correctly noted Green Bay can elect to not take him back if they choose. To if the brass is overwhelmingly concerned with any message it sends they have the option to trade him for little or release him so he can choose his new home.

I agree, he can change his mind. Why not?

But the team can't do squat until he stops leaking info about unreturned text messages, and playing silly media games with Bus Cook and his mom, and actually tells us what he's going to do.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Agree

NFL Live had the GB reporter interviewed tonight. Mike Vandermouse....something like that. He had a pretty strong opinion that the Packers are trying pretty hard behind the scenes to convince Brett Favre to stay retired. Probably in their best interests.....but if Favre wants to play I too wish it'd get over with too.

I think it's horse shit if the Packers are trying to convince him to stay retired. If they didn't try and tell a grown man whether to play football or hang it up before his retirement, why butt in now?

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 12:17 AM

I agree, he can change his mind. Why not?

But the team can't do squat until he stops leaking info about unreturned text messages, and playing silly media games with Bus Cook and his mom, and actually tells us what he's going to do.

We can only theorize what's going on now. My guess is it's all behind the scenes.

Should be interesting to see how this unfolds. If there is open communication they are probably talking. If not, Green Bay might receive a letter stating I want back and then they will have to deal with it one way or the other.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:19 AM
We can only theorize what's going on now. My guess is it's all behind the scenes.

The entire thing should have been played out behind the scenes. This shows a lack of respect for both parties involved.

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Agree

I think it's horse shit if the Packers are trying to convince him to stay retired. If they didn't try and tell a grown man whether to play football or hang it up before his retirement, why butt in now?

Just curious if you have watched the recent interviews with Bob Harlan and Mark Murphy. The overwhelming tone was he had a great run, made a hard decision, it's natural to have second thoughts, and we're all moving forward.
Maybe I analyze too much; but it wasn't hard to read the message.

And if they don't want him, it probably makes it easier on the management if Favre does not come back. They'd rather have him stay retired than release him or trade him for a mid to late round pick and deal with the controversy

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Agree

Just curious if you have watched the recent interviews with Bob Harlan and Mark Murphy. The overwhelming tone was he had a great run, made a hard decision, it's natural to have second thoughts, and we're all moving forward.
Maybe I analyze too much; but it wasn't hard to read the message.

And if they don't want him, it probably makes it easier on the management if Favre does not come back. They'd rather have him stay retired than release him or trade him for a mid to late round pick and deal with the controversy

I didn't see it, but read the quotes. Not too subtle, and a little inappropriate if the organization really prides itself on helping the guy make an informed decision, but ultimately his own decision.

As Karl Malone used to say "Brett gotta do, what Brett gotta do".

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 12:24 AM

The entire thing should have been played out behind the scenes. This shows a lack of respect for both parties involved.

You are certainly right; if only we knew how it all unfolded. So many hypotheticals. What if...etc.....it's seems that Favre for whatever reason, was not comfortable dealing with it the right way.

Maybe he did make the call and was given an impression they don't want him back....maybe not. The whole thing is one messed up situation.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:27 AM

If I were Ted, I'd go public with this message. "Brett, we love ya. Call us and tell us if you want to play, or want to hang it up. Then we can help you work it out. Until then, were kind of stuck. So just let us know. Soon please."

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
You are certainly right; if only we knew how it all unfolded.

All I know is that every piece of the early info seemed to be leaked from Brett's camp, not the Packers.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Maybe he did make the call and was given an impression they don't want him back....maybe not.

It could be the Packers weren't convinced that he was completely serious. He's not exactly known for his decisiveness on the matter.

falco
07-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Maybe he did make the call and was given an impression they don't want him back....maybe not.

It could be the Packers weren't convinced that he was completely serious. He's not exactly known for his decisiveness on the matter.

agreed - perhaps the entire packers front office and coaching staff is a bit uncomfortable hanging their careers on someone who is having a hell of a time committing to playing

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 07:25 AM
There were a couple good main points here.

1. I also thought the way Harlan and Murphy approached this was brilliant. They delicately but inmistakably put it back on Favre. Although that is where the blame lies there are only so many ways you can say that, that will hit home to an uneducated, over-emotional, half the time drunk midwest fanbase. They did it. Bravo.

2. I agree that Football-wise the Packers are not in a bad situation. They have another choice. The PR part is a headache but all of that goes away as long as Ted makes the winning decision.

I do also think the organization is in a bit of a bind though. Releasing Brett Favre, while maybe the best for our organization, may have a ripple effect that helps an enemy. Their QB's are awfull. We may want to move on but we may not want to allow a rival to pick up a good QB when none of them have been able to get one on their own. Favre certainly has put the team in uncomfortable situations each year starting way back with Sherman when I think he pressured MS to make moves desperately and now rather than taking advantage of opportuties as they arose.

Iron Mike
07-11-2008, 07:29 AM
During a promotional visit to Fond du Lac High School

How the hell did I miss this??? :evil:

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 07:32 AM
I think the bottom line is that if the Packers want to move forward with their team the very best thing that could possibly happen is Brett Favre retires. He has a rabid, emotional fan base that wants to always point the finger at someone else (INT's, Indecision, etc. . ). It's really never Brett.

TT comes in and he does the right things but they're not things that people can understand. They scratch their heads and wonder how but at they end of the day they just have to say "well it works". The problem is before it happens nobody knows and the initial reaction of an idiot is to throw a fit. Up until last years phenominal season many of these idiots really had no clue. All they knew is Brett was being pushed out by Thompson. Now, after the great season, they give TT some support but now, again, TT is pushing Brett out the door. Again, the fear of the unknown is the overriding emotion. These idiots think there is no way we can do it without Favre and TT is again driving the team into the ground. Eventually results will calm their irrational emotion but for now it's just a big pouting match by people who don't have any clue what will acctually happen in the era after Favre.

Ted's doing the right things. He's building a team the right way. No matter what happens in this situation I think he is going to come out looking like a hero to Green Bay as I think he will build a winner without Favre. Remember, in 17 years the team was only a winner one time with Favre and he wasn't even the best player on his team. It's not like winning one is some impossible task. In the minds of many though, it was much more than that. Reality though? That's all it was. One big win in 17 years and he needed the NFL's best defense and ST's to do it.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Remember, in 17 years the team was only a winner one time with Favre and he wasn't even the best player on his team.

Really?

So the guy who was the MVP of the entire league wasn't the best player on his team?

You really don't have an ounce of sense.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 08:10 AM
KIRWAN SEES 80-PERCENT CHANCE OF FAVRE RETURN
Posted by Mike Florio on July 11, 2008, 8:54 a.m.

As the Favre watch continues to dominate the NFL news and rumors, Pat Kirwan of NFL.com offers up an informed estimate of the chances that the former Packers quarterback will return in 2008.

“I have talked with a few people close enough to Favre that I now feel comfortable that an 80 percent chance may be a conservative estimate,” Kirwan writes. “He’s throwing footballs, working out and it’s more than an itch to play.”

Really, most league insiders are now presuming that Favre will play in 2008. The only question is where. And if it’s not in Green Bay, Kirwan sums up the situation perfectly: “If Favre throws for 4,000 yards and takes a team deep into the playoffs while the Packers struggle, it could destroy careers for those who made the decision to cut him loose.”

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/PKR01/807110637/1058

Tom Pelissero column: What isn't true about the Favre fuss

July 11, 2008

Brett Favre's "itch" has developed into a full-blown media rash over the past week-and-a-half.

It also has generated some lively — if, at times, misguided — debate about the future of the Green Bay Packers and their retired quarterback.

Here are five misconceptions among some fans that warrant clarification.

Aaron Rodgers doesn't respect Packers fans

Just before the speculation started anew, Sports Illustrated quoted Favre's successor as saying, "I don't feel I need to sell myself to the fans. … They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut." Some are using the excerpt as proof Rodgers doesn't "get it." Knowing Rodgers, though, all he meant was that people who don't believe in him ought to wait until he gets his chance before writing him off. He could have said it more tactfully, but is it an unrealistic request?

Everyone in the Packers' locker room is praying Favre returns

It would be foolish for anyone to say publicly he doesn't want Favre back, but there is a substantial faction of younger players who are eager to play with Rodgers. Favre is at least a decade older than all but six guys on the roster. He dressed in his own locker room. He had minimal social interaction with teammates. Rodgers is one of the guys, and plenty of them are pulling for him.

If Favre stays retired or ends up playing elsewhere, it's Ted Thompson's fault

Favre's emotional retirement media conference on March 6 — during which he absolved the Packers' general manager of blame — convinced the organization and most observers he was really, truly done. That's why Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy felt comfortable moving forward with their plan for the post-Favre era. Things would be different had Favre said four months ago he wanted to play. He didn't, and that choice was his.

This whole thing is a media-driven rumor

Favre has inquired about returning to the Packers. That's a story. No, he has not made a public statement, other than texting a semi-denial to a Mississippi reporter. No, the Packers have not commented. Both sides have logical reasons to (officially) keep quiet. That doesn't mean it's some grand conspiracy.

The Packers would sacrifice this season by not embracing a Favre return

Favre had one of his best seasons in 2007. Rodgers has everything to prove. But the Packers are a young, gifted team that was a field goal away from the Super Bowl last season, and Favre, for all his talents, was only one part of that. The Packers believe Rodgers can play effectively enough to put the team in position again. Could they be wrong? Absolutely. But opting to sever ties with Favre — if it comes to that — would not be tantamount to waving a white flag toward 2008.

Tom Pelissero is assistant sports editor of the Press-Gazette. E-mail him at tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Excellent column.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Knowing Rodgers, though, all he meant was that people who don't believe in him ought to wait until he gets his chance before writing him off. He could have said it more tactfully, but is it an unrealistic request?

May not be unrealistic...but that isn't the point. Favre received far more criticism than Rodgers has to this point early on in Green Bay, and not ONCE did he openly give the fans a verbal middle finger.

If Rodgers can't handle some moderate criticism now...which certainly is for the most part unwarranted...without blowing up in the press, WTF is he going to do when actual struggles on the field flare up (they will) and he hears some REAL criticism? THAT is the point.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
..........he (Rodgers) openly give the fans a verbal middle finger.

Well that was one of the misconceptions the author was hoping to clear up. You've based your entire take on Aaron's attitude on one tiny excerpt. It seems pretty harsh to me.

GBRulz
07-11-2008, 09:03 AM
One big win in 17 years and he needed the NFL's best defense and ST's to do it.

The same defense that kept him from having a 2nd ring, you mean? Give me a break, the last time I checked, it was a team sport.

woodbuck27
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM

If I were Ted, I'd go public with this message. "Brett, we love ya. Call us and tell us if you want to play, or want to hang it up. Then we can help you work it out. Until then, were kind of stuck. So just let us know. Soon please."

What do you do when your workng for 'the MAN'?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
One big win in 17 years and he needed the NFL's best defense and ST's to do it.

The same defense that kept him from having a 2nd ring, you mean? Give me a break, the last time I checked, it was a team sport.

I'm not happy how Brett's handling this, but some of Nick's stuff on Brett goes way, way overboard.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:08 AM

If you're talking about Brett, and that's not entirely clear, he's not working for anybody. He's still retired.

Bossman641
07-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Knowing Rodgers, though, all he meant was that people who don't believe in him ought to wait until he gets his chance before writing him off. He could have said it more tactfully, but is it an unrealistic request?

May not be unrealistic...but that isn't the point. Favre received far more criticism than Rodgers has to this point early on in Green Bay, and not ONCE did he openly give the fans a verbal middle finger.

If Rodgers can't handle some moderate criticism now...which certainly is for the most part unwarranted...without blowing up in the press, WTF is he going to do when actual struggles on the field flare up (they will) and he hears some REAL criticism? THAT is the point.

Are you kidding me? All he has ever heard is that he's not Brett, how the team will be nothing again when Brett is finally gone. Half the fans wanted to run him out of town before he even got a chance, or are still pissed because the Packers drafted a QB in the 1st round. All he's ever heard is how he was such a wasted draft pick. Looking back, the Packers probably could have gone another year without grooming Favre's replacement, but how are they supposed to plan for that when Favre does his yearly retirement song and dance.

All he was really telling the fans was you can keep doubting me, but I will prove you wrong, so I don't care what you say. Could he have worded it more tactfully? Of course. But if I were Rodgers, I would be frustrated too.

Bossman641
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM

One other thing. Just my guess, but I would assume Rodgers would rather be criticized for his actual on field performances then be criticized for not being Brett, or for being "TT's pet", or for what people think he will do this year.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
If I'm Brett, I file my paperwork with the Packers, and call a press conference and say "I'm going to play football. I made a mistake, and might have been a bit hasty. I was tired, but I still have more than enough to get the job done. I love playing, and hope the Packers will have me. That's their choice. If not, we'll work something out. I know my 180 has made things difficult. Sorry for all the commotion. No questions. Thank you."

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Are you kidding me? All he has ever heard is that he's not Brett, how the team will be nothing again when Brett is finally gone.

WAAAHHHHHHHH!

Welcome to the NFL Mr. Rodgers.

This is FUCKING PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL! I am so tired of the whining pansies on here who seem to think the Packers owe Rodgers something. The guy is a millionaire for sitting his ass on the bench for 3 years...I'm not about to feel sorry for him. If he wants to play, then he should prove himself as the best QB on the roster.

But if I were Rodgers, I would be frustrated too.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be frustrated...but he shouldn't allow the pressure to get the best of him so that he snaps at fans in the media. That is a bad sign of how Rodgers handles pressure IMO.

And he ain't seen NOTHING yet in terms of pressure.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
.......but he shouldn't allow the pressure to get the best of him so that he snaps at fans in the media.

Ryan Leaf snapped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMe0Rz1frdE

Jim Mora snapped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3NDiMorX-o

Aaron Rodgers made a quip that's too easily taken out of context. Big deal. I think you're making a federal case out of nothing.

woodbuck27
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM

If you're talking about Brett, and that's not entirely clear, he's not working for anybody. He's still retired.

ahhhh ''If I were Ted, I'd go public with this message...''

Ted ... Scott not Brett.

Are you really stupid or enjoy 'acting stupid' or just a Jack Ass Scott?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Are you really stupid or enjoy 'acting stupid' or just a Jack Ass Scott?

Probably some of all 3, but its not really for me to decide.

Your post isn't very clear. I still can't tell what you're getting at.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
If I'm Brett, I file my paperwork with the Packers, and call a press conference and say "I'm going to play football. I made a mistake, and might have been a bit hasty. I was tired, but I still have more than enough to get the job done. I love playing, and hope the Packers will have me. That's their choice. If not, we'll work something out. I know my 180 has made things difficult. Sorry for all the commotion. No questions. Thank you."

That would be a perfect statement. And if he's not coming back, call in to a national radio show or appear on a national TV show and simply say "Hey, I'm not coming back. It's all rumors. Best of luck to the Packers, including Mike McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers and all my buds there. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Packer Hall of Fame induction and then at the opening game where I'm totally honored to have my number retired. Later guys." Speculation over.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Aaron Rodgers made a quip that's too easily taken out of context. Big deal. I think you're making a federal case out of nothing.

Perhaps.

It is true he didn't have a meltdown like Leaf. However, this quote was given BEFORE all the latest Favre stuff started popping up.

I also cringe when he rips into the fans. The QB of an NFL team just can't listen to the fans, because there is almost certainly a segment that is going to hate anything you do. Clearly, Rodgers did listen...which is why he said what he said. He needs to learn not to listen.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
That would be a perfect statement. And if he's not coming back, call in to a national radio show or appear on a national TV show and simply say "Hey, I'm not coming back. It's all rumors. Best of luck to the Packers, including Mike McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers and all my buds there. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Packer Hall of Fame induction and then at the opening game where I'm totally honored to have my number retired. Later guys." Speculation over.

Exactly. It ain't that hard.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I also cringe when he rips into the fans.

If it becomes a pattern of behavior, then we have a problem. Right now I just view it as an isolated quip that's too easily taken out of context. I am not convinced it was malicious.

swede
07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
“If Favre throws for 4,000 yards and takes a team deep into the playoffs while the Packers struggle, it could destroy careers for those who made the decision to cut him loose.”

If the mother ship arrives and beams up all true believers it could destroy careers for those who made the decision not to wear foil hats!

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
“If Favre throws for 4,000 yards and takes a team deep into the playoffs while the Packers struggle, it could destroy careers for those who made the decision to cut him loose.”

If the mother ship arrives and beams up all true believers it could destroy careers for those who made the decision not to wear foil hats!

That's very funny. But is it a good description of the reality surrounding Favre? Look, the guy had a great - GREAT - year last year. If not for Brady basically having the best year for a QB in the history of the NFL, he was the league MVP. Does anyone deny that? Why in hell would anyone think that he couldn't have a decent year with a reasonably talented offensive team this year? And if Favre were to play well for another team, and A Rog struggles, OF COURSE TT and MM would take some major heat. Lotta 'Ifs' there, but there shouldn't be much doubt about Favre's talent one year removed from an MVP season.

packers11
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
If not for Brady basically having the best year for a QB in the history of the NFL, he was the league MVP. Does anyone deny that? Why in hell would anyone think that he couldn't have a decent year with a reasonably talented offensive team this year?

Right on... Couldn't have said it better. :!: Favre was on fire last year, and he made many throws a lot of QB's couldn't have. He also made those piece of shit guards look a lot better than they were. Who was the only other person to receiver that 1 MVP vote... Oh yea I think it was the 38 year old QB with the name of Brett Favre.

And if Favre were to play well for another team, and A Rog struggles, OF COURSE TT and MM would take some major heat. Lotta 'Ifs' there, but there shouldn't be much doubt about Favre's talent one year removed from an MVP season.

So true. IF that scenario did pan out that way, all hell would break loose in Green Bay.

Tarlam!
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Why is it a given that even a Brett Favre can step into a new team and pick up a new offense in the space of a single training camp?

I am far more concerned that if he is released or traded that he might ruin his legacy by NOT having an MVP season.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Why is it a given that even a Brett Favre can step into a new team and pick up a new offense in the space of a single training camp?

I am far more concerned that if he is released or traded that he might ruin his legacy by NOT having an MVP season.

I'd be more concerned about those around him learning his offense. He's not going to play for some team that runs something that he can't handle or isn't familiar with - the whole reason though, that he had such a great season last year, was the massive amounts of extra time he put into study and preparation. And he certainly doesn't have to have an MVP season to prevent tarnishing his legacy. I'd say there's little he could do that would tarnish his legacy any more than his final throws in 2003 and 2007.

swede
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM

That's very funny. But is it a good description of the reality surrounding Favre? Look, the guy had a great - GREAT - year last year. If not for Brady basically having the best year for a QB in the history of the NFL, he was the league MVP. Does anyone deny that? Why in hell would anyone think that he couldn't have a decent year with a reasonably talented offensive team this year? And if Favre were to play well for another team, and A Rog struggles, OF COURSE TT and MM would take some major heat. Lotta 'Ifs' there, but there shouldn't be much doubt about Favre's talent one year removed from an MVP season.

You make a defensible statement, couching your argument in terms like "decent" and "reasonable" given good talent on the next team. But Kirwon's statement was silly, spouting huge numbers on the one side and wrecked careers on the other.

Joe Montana played pretty well in Kansas City in his 2nd year there at the age of 38, putting up 3200 yards and 16 touchdowns. But they lost in the first round of the playoffs. His first year with Kansas City was just okay in 11 games, but he did throw 13 td's.

Joe Montana was that kind of man and that kind of quarterback. Brett is not going to walk into somebody else's system and STUDY and ATTEND MEETINGS and FOLLOW the GAME PLAN and throw for 4,000 yards in his determined bid to destroy TT's career.

Edit: And I agree with you about Favre's performance last year. He never should have retired in the first place. Green Bay was the best place for him to make another run at the world championship.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM

It isn't...which is why I've believed all along that Favre has no desire to return to play for another team. He wants to play for the Packers in 2008. All the "release" talk has been leaked to put pressure on the Packers to let Favre return.

If the Packers really have no interest in allowing him to return and state that they plan on trading him, I'm guessing Favre goes back into retirement. Considering his retirement comments regarding workload and mental fatigue, it would make no sense for him to go into an entirely new situation.

Pugger
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Should all this speculation about Brett wanting to return (and who really knows without it coming straight from the horse's mouth?) TT will most likely tell Brett to put in his request in writing to the NFL and the team about being taken off the reserve/retire list and back on the active roster. No way in h3ll will TT just give Brett his unconditional release! The Packers do NOT want Brett to come back and haunt them. And would Brett REALLY want to go to another team and learn a whole new system at this stage of his career? I think not. If he were traded I think Brett would then file his retirement papers. So if Brett wants to come back I believe the Packers will let him return. Lord knows what they'll do about Rodgers, but the NFL is about winning NOW. Next year can wait. They'll probably show Aaron a bunch of money to placate him until 2009...

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
But Kirwon's statement was silly, spouting huge numbers on the one side and wrecked careers on the other.

. Brett is not going to walk into somebody else's system and STUDY and ATTEND MEETINGS and FOLLOW the GAME PLAN and throw for 4,000 yards in his determined bid to destroy TT's career.

I agree that Kirwon's statement was somewhat extreme. I think that's it's a bit misguided on your part to suggest Favre would study, etc. in a bid to destroy TT's career. What seems more likely to me is that should Favre want to come back, and he ends up playing for someone else, that he'd come in and study and repare to be successful, for his own sake.

swede
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
But Kirwon's statement was silly, spouting huge numbers on the one side and wrecked careers on the other.

. Brett is not going to walk into somebody else's system and STUDY and ATTEND MEETINGS and FOLLOW the GAME PLAN and throw for 4,000 yards in his determined bid to destroy TT's career.

I agree that Kirwon's statement was somewhat extreme. I think that's it's a bit misguided on your part to suggest Favre would study, etc. in a bid to destroy TT's career. What seems more likely to me is that should Favre want to come back, and he ends up playing for someone else, that he'd come in and study and repare to be successful, for his own sake.

Again, we're close to understanding each other. It was that Kirwon guy that suggested Brett's success with another team would sink TT, not me.

My other point is that it was not easy for Joe Montana to be successful in KC until his 2nd year. It would be even harder for a QB like Brett to be successful in the first year of a new system with a new team.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Again, we're close to understanding each other. It was that Kirwon guy that suggested Brett's success with another team would sink TT, not me.

My other point is that it was not easy for Joe Montana to be successful in KC until his 2nd year. It would be even harder for a QB like Brett to be successful in the first year of a new system with a new team.

Sorry, didn't want to mis-attribute crap to you. I understand your point about Montana. That's why I suggested that it's more likely that whatever team Favre plays for will adjust to him. Plus, it's possible you may not be giving him enough credit for personal growth - he may end up being just as prepared as Joe Montana for whatever team gets him.