PDA

View Full Version : Oddities from Aaron Rodgers article in JSO

Fritz
07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
A couple of things I noticed in the JSO article on Rodgers that I wanted to open up for input and discussion:

1. The article made reference to Trent Dilfer being a very close friend of Rodgers. Does this make anyone else nervous? Somehow I'd be more comfortable if someone like Steve Young or John Elway were his close older mentor/friend. But Trent Dilfer? Hope his quarterbacking skills don't rub off on Rodgers.

2. The article mentioned that Rodgers is working out with Brett Swain and James Jones. Re: Swain - What's the connection? Did Swain go to Cal? And does this give Swain a leg up on the competition? I mean, if the guy drops a lot of balls in training camp and runs lousy routes it won't help that he seems to know Rodgers, but all things being equal, doesn't a late round pick working out with the likely starting QB give the late round pick a leg up?

And as for Jones, I look for a good year. Sure he seemed to tail off, but the guy was strong last year and apparently has spent lots of time in the weight room this offseason. On top of that, he has ioncredible hands. He reminds me of Sterling Sharpe. I see good things from this guy.

What do you all think of these tidbits?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
2. The article mentioned that Rodgers is working out with Brett Swain and James Jones. Re: Swain - What's the connection?

They both play for the Packers. 8-)

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Seriously, I didn't read too much into that. If I'm the new starter, and a receiver trying to make the team asks me to work out with him, I'd say sure. Why not?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
A couple of things I noticed in the JSO article on Rodgers that I wanted to open up for input and discussion:

1. The article made reference to Trent Dilfer being a very close friend of Rodgers. Does this make anyone else nervous? Somehow I'd be more comfortable if someone like Steve Young or John Elway were his close older mentor/friend. But Trent Dilfer? Hope his quarterbacking skills don't rub off on Rodgers.

I've always heard that Dilfer is a great guy. Hard not to like him, unless you just watched him play.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Dilfer's not a dumb guy. He isn't the greatest QB in the world, but he won a Super Bowl. You could pick worse veterans to befriend...like any former (or current) Bear QB.

I'm guessing these guys work out together because they all live in the same general area and play for the Packers...plus QBs and WRs sort of need each other to practice.

ND72
07-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Swain's parents live 35 minutes from Rodgers parents...(NFL Network discussed the same thing, which WR's are working out with Rodgers.)

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Swain's parents live 35 minutes from Rodgers parents...(NFL Network discussed the same thing, which WR's are working out with Rodgers.)

Jones and Swain are both from California--close to where ARod is from. I wouldn't read too much into it.

DonHutson
07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Dilfer's not a dumb guy. He isn't the greatest QB in the world, but he won a Super Bowl. You could pick worse veterans to befriend...like any former (or current) Bear QB.

I'm guessing these guys work out together because they all live in the same general area and play for the Packers...plus QBs and WRs sort of need each other to practice.

Six Degrees of Trent Dilfer:

Aaron Rodgers --> coached by Jeff Tedford at Cal --> Jeff Tedford coached Trent Dilfer at Fresno State

AtlPackFan
07-11-2008, 11:58 AM

Those who can't do, can teach!? :mrgreen: