PDA

View Full Version : Who leaked and why

sharpe1027
07-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Not getting much attention is the question of where the leak originated and why it was leaked. One of the first leaks was that Favre had phoned McCarthy to talk about possibly coming back. There were two people in that conversation, McCarthy and Favre.

I would guess that it is safe to say that neither of them directly leaked the story, but which side did it come from and was it an intentional leak or an individual acting on their own?

I would guess that MM would have kept it relatively quiet and not told many people. If it was intentionally leaked from someone inside the Packer's organization, was that person acting alone or with direction from the Packers? If it was without direction from the Packers, could they find out who leaked it relatively easily? Wouldn't they want to seal off any future leaks of the same type?

If it was leaked from Favre's side, wouldn't that be a middle-finger to the Packers? If that is the case, I would venture to guess that the Packer organization is a little pissed off at Favre, and with good reason. Rather than working with the organization, they did an end around that makes it difficult for anyone to come out without egg on their face.

Obviously, the media has not reason to push the issue as that would discourage future "leaks". But it is still an interesting question...

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I just leaked. You can blame me.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Very few leaks come from the Packers organization. The Favre family and his agent can stop themselves from leaking information. I guessing Favre's side has leaked most of the information we've read about.

sharpe1027
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Very few leaks come from the Packers organization. The Favre family and his agent can stop themselves from leaking information. I guessing Favre's side has leaked most of the information we've read about.

If that is the case, I am for the first time begining to agree with the people who have called Favre a drama queen and said that he cares more about himself than the team. It seems a pretty underhanded thing to do.

I'm surprised the Packers haven't said something like "We never closed the door to Favre. He called once to talk about possibly coming back and nothing definitive was said. Instead of working with us, they chose to make it a public battle."

I guess maybe they have more respect for Favre than he has for the team.

3irty1
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I'd guess Cook leaked all the first stuff.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I think almost all the leaks were attributed to Bus Cook, Scott Favre, and his mom Bonita. The rest has been media speculation, and questions to teammates.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM

It wouldn't be surprising if Cook orchestrated every one of the leaks.

sharpe1027
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM

It wouldn't be surprising if Cook orchestrated every one of the leaks.

If that his the case, I think Cook is handling it too much like a contract negotiation. Favre and the Packers should have sat down and figured out what the deal was first. They probably would have agreed to make an public announcement that he was coming back, painting it all in a very positive light. They also would have been able to sit down and talk with Rodgers about it before-hand.

If the Packers truly didn't want him back, Favre would have every right to unretire and force their hand and the Packers would have looked bad. As it is, Cook looks like a manipulative jackass, Favre comes off looking self-centered and the Packers are being accused of not wanting Favre back.

What a mess. The only person that stands to gain from doing it this way is Cook who might make some serious cash if Favre gets a contract with a new team (assuming he gets a commission on any new contract).

retailguy
07-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I admit it. It was my dog who leaked first. :oops:

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/14/141133-the-pissing-boy-brussels-belgium.jpg

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Is that Tyrone?