PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Brett Favre asks Packers for his release

Pages : 1 [2]

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Says who? Joe Montana was not Joe Montana till he became Joe Montana.

Nevermind.

Partial
07-11-2008, 05:04 PM
A-Rod is not Steve Young.

Well Steve Young wasn't Steve Young either, until after he took over and established himself.

Not true. Like Favre, Steve Young was a young, talented back-up that a team traded for. A-Rod is "lottery" pick leftovers.

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 05:04 PM

Well Steve Young wasn't Steve Young either, until after he took over and established himself.

'xactly

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Not true. Like Favre, Steve Young was a young, talented back-up that a team traded for. A-Rod is "lottery" pick leftovers.

Favre wasnt backing up anybody--he was on the bench period.

and thats the rub here..TT and MM obviously see something in ARod we could never see. (because contrary to some posters on here-he hasnt played any footballl yet) either did Favre. But Wolf saw something in him. TT has his job on the line with ARod just like Wolf did in 1992

Zool
07-11-2008, 05:06 PM
JSO says the Packers won't release Favre and they won't trade him to an NFC North team. Also, "A client of Cook's recently told a friend that Miami and Carolina were the teams that were Favre's most likely landing place".

Wonder what we'll get for him? This could be a win-win situation.

Don't forget the San Francisco 49ers received a player and a first-round pick from the Kansas City Chiefs for Joe Montana and a third-round pick when the legendary quarterback was dealt near the end of his career. Favre has more value now than Montana - who was coming off a back injury -- did then, and the Packers could find themselves receiving interest from a number of teams.

Why don't they deal A-Rod for a one?!? You don't deal a legendary quarterback unless you think you have a very, very good player behind him. It could be 100 years before we see another playmaker at quarterback.

yeah you do, when he never knows if he wants to play another year, and only has 1-2 years left. Rodgers has 10+ years left

A-Rod hasn't shown to be anything but a dissapointment.

He hasn't been able to stay healthy at all.

He didn't show any promise until last year.

I highly doubt he'll be a ten year starter in the NFL.

This is the stupidest post on here yet-The guy hasnt played any NFL football yet. WTF>?

I take that as a personal challenge. I will post something way dumber before the day is out. Well maybe not way dumber, but I will surpass the bar that has been set.

Zool
07-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Favre wasnt backing up anybody--he was on the bench period.

Not true, he was backing up Billy Joe Tolliver.....who was backing up Chris Miller.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I take that as a personal challenge. I will post something way dumber before the day is out. Well maybe not way dumber, but I will surpass the bar that has been set.

Breaking News:

Brett Favre's shit DOES in fact smell - like shit. Previously reported to smell more like fresh cut daisy or red roses.
More to come at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 o'clock episodes of FAVRESPN.

chain_gang
07-11-2008, 05:09 PM

I thought young was deemed a complete bust in Tampa, that's why two years after they selected him Tampa had to take good ol' Vinny Testaverde. If I remember right, Young's record in two years as a starting QB, in Tampa, he only won 2 or 3 games, and had twice as many Int's thrown as TD's thrown.

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Unless they can trade him for something, and control where he ends up. Yeah, yeah, I know - he's the Favre. But it's still a business.

No team will trade for Favre unless he OKs the deal.

I'm guessing that Favre is relatively pissed at Thompson for not letting him return to Green Bay...so helping Thompson out in that regard isn't likely to happen.

If Favre wants to play that game, Thompson can just activate him and let him sit on the bench. Hopefully, something amicable will come. I'd guess that Favre and the Packers will agree upon some teams to deal with, and Cook can then work out contract terms with one of those teams.

Favre is not sitting on a Packer bench backing up a QB he's most likely better than now. TT is already walking a tight rope; ending his consecutive game playing streak by listing him as a backup would be silly. TT does not want him; I'm fine with a peaceful release.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Unless they can trade him for something, and control where he ends up. Yeah, yeah, I know - he's the Favre. But it's still a business.

No team will trade for Favre unless he OKs the deal.

I'm guessing that Favre is relatively pissed at Thompson for not letting him return to Green Bay...so helping Thompson out in that regard isn't likely to happen.

If Favre wants to play that game, Thompson can just activate him and let him sit on the bench. Hopefully, something amicable will come. I'd guess that Favre and the Packers will agree upon some teams to deal with, and Cook can then work out contract terms with one of those teams.

Favre is not sitting on a Packer bench backing up a QB he's most likely better than now. TT is already walking a tight rope; ending his consecutive game playing streak by listing him as a backup would be silly. TT does not want him; I'm fine with a peaceful release.Brett won't get that, I promise you.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm fine with a peaceful release.

How bout at the end of camp? With Brett having no opportunity to practice with his new team?

Brando19
07-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Geesh...i always look so forward to Madden coming out on Playstation...especially this year with Favre...but now it's gonna be weird if he's wearing another jersey but still in a Packers jersey on the game. DAMN!

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 05:16 PM
The Packers could also just activate him, sit on this and make Brett stew. Then they could let the league know that anyone contacting Brett, or Bus about Brett playing for them would be considered tampering - a major no no with players under contract. Let him pout on the end of the bench until the end of training camp, and then release him before you have to start writing the big checks. It'd be a little late for teams to work him into their offense by that point.

Those of you saying the Packers have no leverage aren't thinking through all the possible scenarios. Now the Packers may decide not to screw with him. But they could screw with him.

Only if they want a PR nightmare

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:17 PM
The Packers could also just activate him, sit on this and make Brett stew. Then they could let the league know that anyone contacting Brett, or Bus about Brett playing for them would be considered tampering - a major no no with players under contract. Let him pout on the end of the bench until the end of training camp, and then release him before you have to start writing the big checks. It'd be a little late for teams to work him into their offense by that point.

Those of you saying the Packers have no leverage aren't thinking through all the possible scenarios. Now the Packers may decide not to screw with him. But they could screw with him.

Only if they want a PR nightmareConsidering they already have a PR nightmare, that wouldn't matter.

Charles Woodson
07-11-2008, 05:19 PM

Only if they want a PR nightmareConsidering they already have a PR nightmare, that wouldn't matter.
True, but it would really put the packers brass in a bad light if they did that

bbbffl66
07-11-2008, 05:19 PM
A PR nightmare, and a bad move to mess with Favre. Players in the league talk, and if you show disrespect like that, what will possible free agents think?

packers11
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
the madden curse strikes early!!! :evil:

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
but his entire legacy could be tarnished over this situation

I think his entire legacy will come down to this situation.

If he screws up here, his career in Green Bay won't last long. If he decides to throw Favre to the curb and Rodgers doesn't pan out, Thompson might be out of the NFL before Favre is.

Give the guy credit for being bold. Keeping Brett is the safer move, and would placate the majority of Packer nation. It's definitely the path of least resistance.I'm on record as saying TT should be fired if Brett ends up Minnesota, Detriot, or Chicago.

I've always considered you an extreme pro TT guy; never thought I'd see the words TT and fired in the same consideration.

Brando19
07-11-2008, 05:21 PM
More from Scott Favre....
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/11/scott-favre-quot-packers-have-moved-on-so-why-wouldn-t-he-quot.aspx

cpk1994

True, but it would really put the packers brass in a bad light if they did thatIF they decided to do this, they would have already decided their nuts are in a vice and are in pain enough to realize that 2 or 3 more turns won't change it.

Fosco33

Breaking News:

Brett Favre's shit DOES in fact smell - like shit. Previously reported to smell more like fresh cut daisy or red roses.

Or this one then...

Breaking News:
Fans and collectors across the country are in process of filing the largest class action lawsuit - EVER. Citing gross overpayment of Favre memorabilia and constant wavering leading to speculative losses on 'investments'.

:P

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM

If he screws up here, his career in Green Bay won't last long. If he decides to throw Favre to the curb and Rodgers doesn't pan out, Thompson might be out of the NFL before Favre is.

Give the guy credit for being bold. Keeping Brett is the safer move, and would placate the majority of Packer nation. It's definitely the path of least resistance.I'm on record as saying TT should be fired if Brett ends up Minnesota, Detriot, or Chicago.

I've always considered you an extreme pro TT guy; never thought I'd see the words TT and fired in the same consideration.JH is the extreme pro-TT guy. I support TT, but will hold his nuts to the fire if I feel it is warranted, and in that case it absolutely would.

Charles Woodson
07-11-2008, 05:25 PM

I've always considered you an extreme pro TT guy; never thought I'd see the words TT and fired in the same consideration.JH is the extreme pro-TT guy. I support TT, but will hold his nuts to the fire if I feel it is warranted, and in that case it absolutely would.
Thanks for clarifying that actually, im with B, i thought you were attached at the hip to TT

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2008, 05:25 PM

It isn't enough that you are stupid, but now you have to be factually wrong?

Young played seasons in the USFL.

YOung played 2 years with the Bucs...and couldn't even start all the games for a club that went 4 and 28 in his years there. Young was 3-16, 11 TDs and 21 interceptions..with fewer than 55% completion rate.

He was traded because he was viewed as BUST. You draft Testaverde cause you think you have a young and talented player.

He was 26/27 when he came to the Niners..hardly young and didn't really play until he was THIRTY.

Partial
07-11-2008, 05:26 PM

I've always considered you an extreme pro TT guy; never thought I'd see the words TT and fired in the same consideration.

That if is not enough. If the Packers do not obtain equal or greater success he should be. He is taking a HUGE risk making his bed with A-Rod instead of Favre. What a poor decision.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Sports radio in WI is saying Minny is offering a trade and would sign Brett for 2 years.

No way in hell should/could TT make this move.

You go from PR nightmare to angry drunken mob of Packer fans. Pitchforks, looting cars - the whole 9 yards.

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Someone tell Bretsky that Odell Thurman is wanted by the police again. Only after he laughs at himself for rooting for an Odell Packer draft pick can you tell him about Favre. He deserves to go out remembering how to laugh.

Profanity was heard at the bank today when a customer walked into my office, noted the Packer Pic and the Favre pick, chuckled, and told me it's pretty official that Favre wants back, GB does not want him, and Favre asked for his release.

BRING BACK ODELL, and BRING BACK FAVRE :lol:

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Sports radio in WI is saying Minny is offering a trade and would sign Brett for 2 years.

You go from PR nightmare to angry drunken mob of Packer fans. Pitchforks, looting cars - the whole 9 yards.That sounds like made up BS in order to get listeners.

Freak Out
07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Is the Jay Glazer story about #4 un-retiring once before this offseason only to tell TT and M3 a few days later he had changed his mind again true? Did I miss this sometime earlier? According to the guy they had welcomed him back and had said they would sit Rodgers another year but after he called back they went ahead and drafted Brohm and Flynn.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Someone tell Bretsky that Odell Thurman is wanted by the police again. Only after he laughs at himself for rooting for an Odell Packer draft pick can you tell him about Favre. He deserves to go out remembering how to laugh.

Profanity was heard at the bank today when a customer walked into my office, noted the Packer Pic and the Favre pick, chuckled, and told me it's pretty official that Favre wants back, GB does not want him, and Favre asked for his release.

Shouldn't that be FREE ODELL? :lol:

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Is the Jay Glazer story about #4 un-retiring once before this offseason only to tell TT and M3 a few days later he had changed his mind again true? Did I miss this sometime earlier? According to the guy they had welcomed him back and had said they would sit Rodgers another year but after he called back they went ahead and drafted Brohm and Flynn.Basically the gist was they were ready to welcome Favre back then two days later Favre called to say he was retiring. SO, the Packers moved on and drafted 2 QB's.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 05:33 PM

You go from PR nightmare to angry drunken mob of Packer fans. Pitchforks, looting cars - the whole 9 yards.That sounds like made up BS in order to get listeners.

Yeah - and it works. Wonder what productivity in WI looks like right now... it's costing the entire state economy with this BS.

All I get in SoCal is - so what - he's old, blah blah blah. At this point, I'm sick of the whole thing, too.

Trade him to a southern, dome or warm weather AFC team and get on with life. He'll have a Reggie White like-year and tarnish his post Packer life image. Too bad for him - but I'd wish him the best and will still watch all his games (TiVO).

FritzDontBlitz
07-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Breaking News:

Or this one then...

Breaking News:
Fans and collectors across the country are in process of filing the largest class action lawsuit - EVER. Citing gross overpayment of Favre memorabilia and constant wavering leading to speculative losses on 'investments'.

They're gonna sue the guy for changing his mind. Priceless.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Breaking News:

Or this one then...

Breaking News:

I guess my jokes are worse than I thought... not all 'breaking news' is created equal - and this was chaulked full of my own personal BS. 8-)

FritzDontBlitz
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM

Breaking News:

Or this one then...

Breaking News:

I guess my jokes are worse than I thought... not all 'breaking news' is created equal - and this was chaulked full of my own personal BS. 8-)

Thanks for the lulz then. I'm a little blown away by the news, I completely missed it.

I am seriously pessimistic about the season right now.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Kind of a tangent, but Im suprised Bearman hasn't been on here spewing garbage about Favre coming to the Bears to lead them to the SB.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Bob Marley says it best, "everything's gonna be alright, yeah - everything's gonna be alright."

Far worse things in life - you know?

Heck, teams with TERRIBLE QBs have won many, many championships with a solid Defense and average Offense.

I always felt Favre gave them the possibility of winning every game - but only gave us about 2 'extra' wins a year. With ARod - we're 9-7 and maybe a wild card. With Favre - maybe 11-5.

Charles Woodson
07-11-2008, 05:57 PM
What would you guys think of this:
If the packers told Brett that first, he would have to out play A-rod in TC, then if he won the starting job or whatever he would have to ether commit for 2 years, if they trade arod.

bobblehead
07-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm with scott. Activate him and try and trade him to the AFC. If you can't swing a deal, cut him in the last cuts.

Partial
07-11-2008, 06:14 PM
What would you guys think of this:
If the packers told Brett that first, he would have to out play A-rod in TC, then if he won the starting job or whatever he would have to ether commit for 2 years, if they trade arod.

I'd be jumping for joy. I'd imagine most people would be.

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm with scott. Activate him and try and trade him to the AFC. If you can't swing a deal, cut him in the last cuts.

I agree with this.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Ditto. There should be a separate thread on how to deal with this. I had to read though 15 pages and this was the only issue I was really concerned with. Where is Patler? I'm curious when, exactly, is the date that a player must be released to not have to take up their salary. If it's before the first game like SC says then Favre and the Packers will have to work together to get this done because Favre will be screwed entering a new offense with no chance to learn the ropes. Like I said, if this is true then SC and Harlan were right in saying the Packers really do have a lot of leverage.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 06:16 PM

I agree with this.

Except Scott said that he'd install Brett back as the starter. I said the Packers could cut him at the last minute. I didn't say I'd do it.

Partial
07-11-2008, 06:17 PM

I agree with this.

Except Scott said that he'd install Brett back as the starter. I said the Packers could cut him at the last minute. I didn't say I'd do it.

Good. Wise man.

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I wish Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker would weigh in on this issue.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Like I said, if this is true then SC and Harlan were right in saying the Packers really do have a lot of leverage.

Well, you know Harlan and I like to confer over a couple of cold ones at our favorite hangout before committing to a position. Right Harlan?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Where is Patler? I'm curious when, exactly, is the date that a player must be released to not have to take up their salary.

I thought it was gametime - week 1. But I wouldn't bet my house on it without checking with Patler.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Me too. Those two always have important, incisive comments.

motife
07-11-2008, 06:25 PM
may have already been mentioned...

Packer sources say they will never grant Favre a release.

Favre's preferences appear to be Carolina or Miami and there is speculation Cook's already talked to them.

Rastak
07-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Bob Marley says it best, "everything's gonna be alright, yeah - everything's gonna be alright."

Far worse things in life - you know?

Heck, teams with TERRIBLE QBs have won many, many championships with a solid Defense and average Offense.

I always felt Favre gave them the possibility of winning every game - but only gave us about 2 'extra' wins a year. With ARod - we're 9-7 and maybe a wild card. With Favre - maybe 11-5.

Off topic but that's an outstanding tune. Three Little Birds.....

Bretsky
07-11-2008, 06:31 PM

I doubt Scott would hack him in the last set of cuts; that would be heartless and a classless thing to do knowing he's good enough to be a NFL player

DonHutson
07-11-2008, 06:31 PM

Ditto. There should be a separate thread on how to deal with this. I had to read though 15 pages and this was the only issue I was really concerned with. Where is Patler? I'm curious when, exactly, is the date that a player must be released to not have to take up their salary.

Typically it's pay as you go. If you cut someone three weeks in then you've paid them 3/17ths of their salary and that's what counts against the cap. However, I read something that Favre's salary is guaranteed and if he's on the roster for week one of the regular season, he gets it all and it all counts against the cap.

If it comes down to it, Ted needs to at least bluff that he would keep Favre on the roster until the trade deadline. If a team wants him now instead of later they can pay up. If Brett wants to get started sooner than later he can agree on it. If the Packers don't want this to be a distraction they can arrange a trade to a team Brett prefers. Everyone can be happy if they stop taking things personally. Hopefully that happens.

Kiwon
07-11-2008, 06:34 PM

And besides that they always have good things to say. :mrgreen:

pbmax
07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Eligible veterans (you need X years of service) on the roster for game one are due the entire salary. You have it right JH.

Ditto. There should be a separate thread on how to deal with this. I had to read though 15 pages and this was the only issue I was really concerned with. Where is Patler? I'm curious when, exactly, is the date that a player must be released to not have to take up their salary. If it's before the first game like SC says then Favre and the Packers will have to work together to get this done because Favre will be screwed entering a new offense with no chance to learn the ropes. Like I said, if this is true then SC and Harlan were right in saying the Packers really do have a lot of leverage.

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 06:36 PM

And besides that they always have good things to say. :mrgreen:

I would just like to hear their thoughts on keeping one's word and honoring a commitment that they made.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks,

I did start a new thread on this. I just think it's too interesting and too relevant to be lost in 15 pages of other stuff.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Pete Dougherty was on local radio and his close-to-Favre source said he didn't remember that Favre was unretiring in late May[should be March, not May-pb] as per Glazer's story, he remember that Thompson and Favre were going to meet for an "exit interview" type thing. Seems kind of late for an exit interview, since his press conference (which was several days after new broke) was on March 5.

Either the story is bogus or Dougherty is confused, because by the nature of the explanation, it sounded like a complete dodge of the question.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Good to see you still kicking. I think the only thing to say about this is that it rarely ends good. Or it wouldn't end at all.

motife
07-11-2008, 06:48 PM
In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting, Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL’s all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre’s reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April’s draft, Louisville’s Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU’s Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that “itch” again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Pete Dougherty was on local radio and his close-to-Favre source said he didn't remember that Favre was unretiring in late May as per Glazer's story, he remember that Thompson and Favre were going to meet for an "exit interview" type thing. Seems kind of late for an exit interview, since his press conference (which was several days after new broke) was on March 5.

Either the story is bogus or Dougherty is confused, because by the nature of the explanation, it sounded like a complete dodge of the question.

The Favre camp trusts Mortenson to put out Favre friendly coverage. They have a little gentlemans agreement that "you give me the scoop" and "I'll return the favor" type thing. Hence, Mortensons team damaging, Favre friendly report.

Glazer appears to be working a similar agreement with the Packers. It's really turning quite ugly with the Favre camp saying everything they can to put pressure on the Packers so the Packers opened up to Glazer to return the favor. This is what Havel said on the radio anyway. Now Glazer gets some very inside information that never comes out of Green Bay because the Packers are done playing games. If they are going to absorb punches, they are going to throw them as well. This is how dirty friendships are spawned and reporters made.

Clearly Murphy, Harlan and the gang is on board with this because this is too calculated for TT to think up on his own. I think TT may be a brilliant GM but I really don't see an ounce of interpersonal communication aptitude. It really seems the Packers have bonded to fight this fight against Favre. All sides seem to be pulling all stops. This is a good old fashioned white collar brawl. It's really quite impresive and supremely entertaining.

mmmdk
07-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Phew, just read most of this thread. What a debacle.

I've always been Packers team first, players second but this is weird. I actually don't want Favre in another NFL jersey even though I'm dissapointed in Favre or rather his history of wavering between retiring or not. I'm a wee bit surprised by my feelings myself.

motife
07-11-2008, 06:52 PM
The Glazer report was a leak direct from the Packers.

It was intended to illustrate Favre's fickleness, and penchant to jerk the Packer's around.

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Pete Dougherty was on local radio and his close-to-Favre source said he didn't remember that Favre was unretiring in late May[should be March, not May-pb] as per Glazer's story, he remember that Thompson and Favre were going to meet for an "exit interview" type thing. Seems kind of late for an exit interview, since his press conference (which was several days after new broke) was on March 5.

Who the hell is Pete Dougherty? And why would we take his word over the Pack press release?

pbmax
07-11-2008, 06:58 PM
motife has the correction too, but I also corrected my Pete D post. He was speaking to his source about the aborted March return, not about anything in May. I just cannot keep the dates straight on my keyboard.

I wasn't aware of the Glazer-Packer connection, but clearly his article is from a Packer friendly source. I think the Packers have allowed the personnel guys (I have always imagined it to be either McKenzie, Dorsey or Schneider) to leak some info, but on the big items they are usually leak proof. This is a change of tactics for them.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Dougherty is a reporter/columnist for the Green Bay Press Gazette. And I am not saying you should take his word over anybody's.

But he was not contradicting the Packers press release, he was saying he couldn't confirm Jay Glazer's FoxSports.com story and in fact had received a different version of the event in question. But his source was not 100% confident of the memory. That's what made it seem like a dodge to me.

Who the hell is Pete Dougherty? And why would we take his word over the Pack press release?

3irty1
07-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Pete Dougherty was on local radio and his close-to-Favre source said he didn't remember that Favre was unretiring in late May as per Glazer's story, he remember that Thompson and Favre were going to meet for an "exit interview" type thing. Seems kind of late for an exit interview, since his press conference (which was several days after new broke) was on March 5.

The Favre camp trusts Mortenson to put out Favre friendly coverage. They have a little gentlemans agreement that "you give me the scoop" and "I'll return the favor" type thing. Hence, Mortensons team damaging, Favre friendly report.

Glazer appears to be working a similar agreement with the Packers. It's really turning quite ugly with the Favre camp saying everything they can to put pressure on the Packers so the Packers opened up to Glazer to return the favor. This is what Havel said on the radio anyway. Now Glazer gets some very inside information that never comes out of Green Bay because the Packers are done playing games. If they are going to absorb punches, they are going to throw them as well. This is how dirty friendships are spawned and reporters made.

Clearly Murphy, Harlan and the gang is on board with this because this is too calculated for TT to think up on his own. I think TT may be a brilliant GM but I really don't see an ounce of interpersonal communication aptitude. It really seems the Packers have bonded to fight this fight against Favre. All sides seem to be pulling all stops. This is a good old fashioned white collar brawl. It's really quite impresive and supremely entertaining.

The stuff I heard Mortenson say on ESPN wasn't team damaging.

packers11
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I personally think that once Favre sends his letter that the packers will end up keeping him...
He will be starting in week 1 with the packers. Book it...

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 07:06 PM
The stuff I heard Mortenson say on ESPN wasn't team damaging.

Reporting half of the story without including the whole "he had another chance to come back" part is pretty one sided. It sounds much more team friendly to tell the whole story. The Packers clearly felt they should take the liberty to let the rest of it out. The Favre camp released the part they wanted. IT is what it is.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 07:07 PM

I doubt Scott would hack him in the last set of cuts; that would be heartless and a classless thing to do knowing he's good enough to be a NFL player

I might do it if Brett really pissed me off. That's why you don't want me as your GM.

:lol:

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 07:08 PM

There's nothing wrong with waiting. Just ask Favre. Nothing is really effected by missing practice with that guy. It's jsut about as classy as never making up a retirment decision to miss off season workouts, right?

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Rather like hanging your team and fans out to dry after they took you at your word and planned accordingly?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Heartless and classless? Sounds like scott to me.

Rastak
07-11-2008, 07:16 PM

When I think heartless and classless and moron for that matter , YOU come to mind. Jokes about people with cancer? Enter fucking idiot of the first class.....YOU.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
No chance in hell I'd release him. I couldn't care less what he's done in the past. He's gotten adoration from millions of fans and made a shitload of money for that. He's a commodity to the Packers. They should do the right thing, and trade him to a team both sides can agree upon.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 07:19 PM

When I think heartless and classless and moron for that matter , YOU come to mind. Jokes about people with cancer? Enter fucking idiot of the first class.....YOU.

I think Ty's a lil angry with me. :lol:

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 07:20 PM
"Please release me, let me go,
For I don't love you...anymore.
To live a lie would be a sin,
So...release me and let me.... love again."

Packerarcher
07-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Now the Packers may decide not to screw with him. But they could.

Pissing Favre off more probably isn't a good thing. It also would be an extremely poor showing to the rest of the players around the league...i.e. a great way to make Green Bay the "Siberia of the NFL" again.

Sure, Thompson could do it...but it would be unprofessional and childish. Favre has every right to change his mind and want to continue his career.

Very good points a pissed of Favre WILL come back and kick some ass. Also if TT fucks this up,it will be like the pre-Reggie White era as far as getting big names to want to play in Green Bay. Sure Egomanic TT is not big on free agency,but thier will be a time when he needs it. But if he relies on Rodgers for the future the pack will start to get better draft picks. I will say it again,fucking this up would be a HUGE mistake for TT.

texaspackerbacker
07-11-2008, 07:21 PM
What would you do, Tyrone? Just up and release him?

Some have said Favre holds all the cards. If his goal is getting his $10 million salary, that is true. However, the Packers could activate him and retain him as a backup to Rodgers. They certainly are enough under the cap to survive that way.

They should hold out for something decent in a trade--1st round pick, 2nd at the lowest, or maybe 3rd rounder with another pick. If nothing decent comes along, keep him as insurance against Rodgers getting hurt.

3irty1
07-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Why on Earth is the solution to ship Favre? How is this a tough decision???

If Rodgers is in the way deal HIM. We've done it before with guys like Hasselback and Bulger. A-Rod's stock has never been higher after an offseason worth of praise and some impressive action against the Cowboys last year. Cash in on A-Rod and suddenly we could be super bowl favorites THIS YEAR.

The presence of Brian Brohm in GB is a sign that this is supposed to happen. We already have a top drawer QB of the future prospect once Rodgers is gone.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 07:23 PM
No chance in hell I'd release him. I couldn't care less what he's done in the past. He's gotten adoration from millions of fans and made a shitload of money for that. He's a commodity to the Packers. They should do the right thing, and trade him to a team both sides can agree upon.

Exactly. Both sides are going to have to get together and work something out. I don't think it would be right to force Favre to wait till the last day but at the same time I don't think the Packers would be sane to release him outright within a very strong divsion with teams that just need a QB to put them over the top.

Peter King made a very strong case on ESPN radio for Tampa Bay. Shadow and others here have made that same point. It really does make sense. I would take a 2nd rounder from Tampa and Brett really would have a chance to win there.

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 07:23 PM

Some have said Favre holds all the cards. If his goal is getting his $10 million salary, that is true. However, the Packers could activate him and retain him as a backup to Rodgers. They certainly are enough under the cap to survive that way.

They should hold out for something decent in a trade--1st round pick, 2nd at the lowest, or maybe 3rd rounder with another pick. If nothing decent comes along, keep him as insurance against Rodgers getting hurt.

What if he decides to get the old "Mike McKenzie hammy injury"?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I think Ty's a lil angry with me. :lol:

Angry...nah. C'mon..you wouldn't have resisted that shot. It was way to wide open.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 07:24 PM
The Packers are doing everything they can to get Favre to remain in retirement...but I don't think it will work.

Having Favre come to camp is the only way for the Packers to play hardball with Favre...but that also creates a monstrous distraction for Aaron Rodgers.

Regardless, the Packers choice to put Rodgers ahead of Favre has placed enormous pressure on Rodgers to perform at a high level this season.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Cancer? Refresh my memory.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2008, 07:29 PM

First, i would blame the media like you did...no matter how evidence contrary..i would continue to blame them and their pernicious ways even as brett starts for us, sits on the bench for us, plays for another team or sits on his snapper.

When in doubt..blame the media.

Ty believes that the Packers are a business. Favre is one of their assets. Favre holds no cards. Ty would never release him. Ty would sit him on the bench...or pay him and let him stay at his house before ever releasing him.

Ty would trade him if he doesn't want to play for us. Ty isn't sure what value he has on the open market, and isn't prepared to pretend what draft choices we could get.

But, if we don't get acceptable picks for him....Ty woud blame the media.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh shut up Ty. You are a bad person. I know because I'm a good person and I know hot to spot bad people :)

bobblehead
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM

If Rodgers is in the way deal HIM. We've done it before with guys like Hasselback and Bulger. A-Rod's stock has never been higher after an offseason worth of praise and some impressive action against the Cowboys last year. Cash in on A-Rod and suddenly we could be super bowl favorites THIS YEAR.

The presence of Brian Brohm in GB is a sign that this is supposed to happen. We already have a top drawer QB of the future prospect once Rodgers is gone.

This is true, we did it with hasselbeck. BTW, my memory is bad. Who has been to a superbowl more recently, favre or hasselbeck?

3irty1
07-11-2008, 07:32 PM

This is true, we did it with hasselbeck. BTW, my memory is bad. Who has been to a superbowl more recently, favre or hasselbeck?

Rex Grossman.

motife
07-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Packer sources say they may trade Favre, but will NEVER release him, period.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh shut up Ty. You are a bad person. I know because I'm a good person and I know hot to spot bad people :)

Cause you are a liberal.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 07:39 PM

Cause you are a liberal.

Fuckin' A

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 07:40 PM
"I voted FOR retirement before I voted AGAINST retirement."
Is Favre secretly a Democrat?

pbmax
07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
And if Favre retires in mid-August? Gets hurt (OK, that's a longshot)?

Or what if he simply retires next year? Under the operating definition of this thread, we would be Siberia again. Without a groomed heir to Favre. Do you like Brohm in a year over three year vet Rodgers?

FritzDontBlitz
07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
"I voted FOR retirement before I voted AGAINST retirement."
Is Favre secretly a Democrat?

Actually that would make him John McCain, but I digress.

The PR nightmare from this alone is going to destroy the season if they don't get a handle on it immediately. Instead of each side trying to blame the other, they need to sit down and figure this out like men.

Yeah, that'll happen.

Packerarcher
07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
The Packers are doing everything they can to get Favre to remain in retirement...but I don't think it will work.

Having Favre come to camp is the only way for the Packers to play hardball with Favre...but that also creates a monstrous distraction for Aaron Rodgers.

Regardless, the Packers choice to put Rodgers ahead of Favre has placed enormous pressure on Rodgers to perform at a high level this season.

What would happen if Brett DID report to camp and Rodgers got hurt in camp or during pre-season. Do you think they would play him? Would he want to? I think if indeed TT is being an asshole on this deal in favor of Rodgers and this scenario went down,it would be great if Brett said fuck you Ted I am going back into retirement.

3irty1
07-11-2008, 07:53 PM

Or what if he simply retires next year? Under the operating definition of this thread, we would be Siberia again. Without a groomed heir to Favre. Do you like Brohm in a year over three year vet Rodgers?

I like having the best in place to win this year and Brohm next year doesn't worry me. Everything we've read suggests that he's been an exceptional learner and is on the fast track to being an NFL starter. If Favre gets hurt we're in the same situation we'd be in if A-Rod gets hurt.

Charles Woodson
07-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I think more importantly, is how akward would the jersey retirement ceremony be if brett was a vike :shock:

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 07:57 PM
The PR nightmare from this alone is going to destroy the season if they don't get a handle on it immediately. Instead of each side trying to blame the other, they need to sit down and figure this out like men.

Yeah, that'll happen.

This is like trying to get Washington D.C. to address Social Security or Energy Independence. You can't get anyone to stand up and give an honest answer on anything.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 07:59 PM
C'mon..you wouldn't have resisted that shot. It was way to wide open.

Now you're my spokeswoman?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 08:00 PM

pbmax
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Quite illogical, if you are M3 or T2, one and done doesn't get it done. They want another contract. And I can't believe you would be so sanguine next year with Brohm when the prospect of Rodgers (who was drafted higher and has more experience) this year leaves you unsure. You haven't even seen Brohm practice, much less in preseason or a game.

I like having the best in place to win this year and Brohm next year doesn't worry me. Everything we've read suggests that he's been an exceptional learner and is on the fast track to being an NFL starter. If Favre gets hurt we're in the same situation we'd be in if A-Rod gets hurt.

Charles Woodson
07-11-2008, 08:03 PM
C'mon..you wouldn't have resisted that shot. It was way to wide open.

Now you're my spokeswoman?

lol :lol:

digitaldean
07-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I am thankful for all the times Brett has toughed it out when hurt, led a team to victory with little or no supporting cast talentwise and for the sheer joy he exudes in playing football.

Today's events and what Glazer was reporting (about Brett changing his mind in March, the team wanting him back then before they come down to get the ball rolling, he changes his mind and wants to stay retired) sickens me.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Packers-won't-release-Favre

The last two years he has had a ego the size of Lake Michigan. Will he retire, won't he retire.

I say, don't release him. If he seeks reinstatement, he comes back to the Packers. From a contract standpoint, the Packers have all the leverage. He can come back or agree to be traded to an AFC team. If he doesn't want to go to an AFC team, too bad. Sit on the bench or contend for a starting job. If you win out, which he easily should, great, he starts.

I, for one am so sick and tired of this bullsh*t that I want to scream. Yes, he's a great QB, a first ballot HOF'er. But, for crying out loud, stop this ego-driven bullcrap. And stop using your frickin' mom, brother, agent and all the other surrogates to do your dirty work. Suck it up, be a man, and tell everyone directly.

Thompson and McCarthy have gone out of their way to want to have him back when he had a change of heart in March. I want Brett back, but if he says I don't want to play for any other team other than the Packers, he shouldn't pull the crap that he has over the last few months.

digitaldean
I am thankful for all the times Brett has toughed it out when hurt, led a team to victory with little or no supporting cast talentwise and for the sheer joy he exudes in playing football.

Today's events and what Glazer was reporting (about Brett changing his mind in March, the team wanting him back then before they come down to get the ball rolling, he changes his mind and wants to stay retired) sickens me.

The last two years he has had a ego the size of Lake Michigan. Will he retire, won't he retire.

I say, don't release him. If he seeks reinstatement, he comes back to the Packers. From a contract standpoint, the Packers have all the leverage. He can come back or agree to be traded to an AFC team. If he doesn't want to go to an AFC team, too bad. Sit on the bench or contend for a starting job. If you win out, which he easily should, great, he starts.

I, for one am so sick and tired of this bullsh*t that I want to scream. Yes, he's a great QB, a first ballot HOF'er. But, for crying out loud, stop this ego-driven bullcrap. And stop using your frickin' mom, brother, agent and all the other surrogates to do your dirty work. Suck it up, be a man, and tell everyone directly.

Thompson and McCarthy have gone out of their way to want to have him back when he had a change of heart in March. I want Brett back, but if he says I don't want to play for any other team other than the Packers, he shouldn't pull the crap that he has over the last few months.

digitaldean

Brando19
07-11-2008, 08:07 PM

Rex Grossman.

HAHAHA....freakin' great point!

GBRulz
07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
I cannot believe what I am hearing today. With all these rumors going around lately, I didn't know what to believe, but deep down I wanted Brett to just stay retired. NOT because I don't want to see him lead our team this year, but because of all the drama that is going to follow us through the entire season. Would have been much easier for him to just stay retired...and now, I really don't see any kind of resolution that will make everyone happy.

I can see it now, when Favre is with another team and the Packers are struggling with Rodgers. People will want TT's head on a platter. Every damn game, we'll have to listen to how it was a mistake to let Favre go, blah blah blah.

On the other hand...Favre comes back and struggles with his new team, tarnishing his legacy somewhat and we'll constantly hear how "he should have stayed retired" etc. What Favre is doing will completely overshadow any success the Packers will be having. (by media standards)

I could go on with different scenarios but I think you get my point. There just doesn't seem to be a happy ending here. The thought of seeing him in another uniform makes me sick.

While I absolutely love Favre, I also want what is best for the Packers. Even I have been growing tired of the "will he or won't be come back" drama over the past four years. This year, he said he was retiring. Shocked the hell out of us, but most of us adjusted and moved on.

I will always support Favre and whatever team he lands on will probably be my temporary 2nd fav team (Bears and Queens don't count). I love everything he has given to us, but it's time to move on. I just don't want to risk having Favre play for us for one more year and possibly jeopardizing ARod's future with us, either. We have a very young team and I'm excited about the upcoming years.

At this point, I would hope that the Packers and Brett can come to some kind of amicable resolution very soon. Take the high road and trade him elsewhere, don't let him sit until the past day of cuts. The guy can still play, so let him catch on elsewhere.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I could go on with different scenarios but I think you get my point. There just doesn't seem to be a happy ending here. The thought of seeing him in another uniform makes me sick.

I'm hoping for this:

Packers win the Super Bowl... beating the Favre-led Ravens. Packers get a 3rd round pick next year, and they draft a future Pro Bowl OG with that pick.
:D

PackerBlues
07-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Today of all days, I have to use 56k dial-up to read the forums. :roll: :(

Took a while to go completely through the posts on this thread, while I do not agree 100% with Red, my thoughts are along the same line as his

i'm under the impression that TT has been trying to push favre out the door for 2 or 3 years now. since the day he got to GB some of us have been thinking he wants his team. with favre on the tean it will always be favre's packers. without favre it will be TT's packers

i think TT did enough behind the scenes to drive out favre, but favre knows he still has enough left, and still wants to play. he knows TT doesn't want him. so he played this game. either TT goes, or every packer fans worse nightmare comes true. Brett Favre ends his career in another uniform

TT supposedly not responding to text messages or saying that the team has moved on. or just not wanting him back, is clean proof to me that they wanted him gone in the first place

now, if favre does go and play for another team, i don't know how TT could weather the storm that will hit him from millions of very pissed off packer fans.

i hope he doesn't own any pets

I also have to ask, since Brett never did turn in his retirement papers, why does he have to apply for re-instatement with Goodell?

I also have to agree that according to the talk from Favre's relatives, that Favre and Thompson have been butting heads for a while, and what we have seen and heard today are the end results of all of that head butting.

Can anyone think of better set of circumstances for Brett to leave GB? Considering how people butt heads about their differing opinions in these forums, its not hard to imagine Favre and Thompson being two guys with differing opinions butting heads. But I am also open to another view point, whereas a conversation may have taken place between Favre and the Packers big wigs shortly before Favre's retirement announcement that may have gone something like this:

Favre to Thompson: I really did not perform well in the cold during the playoffs this year. You have Rogers ready to go as my replacement, what do you say about letting me go to a warm weather team, I really want to play a couple more years, but I just dont think that my playing in the cold is good for me or the team.

Thompson to Favre: Are you fucking nuts? If I realease or trade you, I will be tarred and feathered and riddin out of town on a rail!

M3 with a brilliant thought of his own pipes in with: What if Brett retires before the draft, we draft two QB's to show that we are moving on without Brett, and then Favre comes out of retirement before the start of the season.

Thompson: That might work, if we can show that we are ready to move on with Rogers, and that Favre coming back to GB would potentially hurt the organization. We might be able to pull it off.

Favre: Great guys, thanks for working with me, I will prepare to announce my retirement then.

Who knows, I say let him go to a team of his choosing with whatever works for both parties, GB and Favre. Its time to put a close to all of this.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Good post Michele. I agree - it's sad, and likely to end badly one way or the other.

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM

This is true. But there was already a ton of pressure on him. What's the difference between one ton of pressure or two tons? (Don't say it.)

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 09:52 PM
On the other hand...Favre comes back and struggles with his new team, tarnishing his legacy somewhat and we'll constantly hear how "he should have stayed retired" etc. What Favre is doing will completely overshadow any success the Packers will be having. (by media standards) .

I don't think his legacy will be tarnished one bit. Nobody remembers Johnny Unitas in San Diego, or wherever he played.

And I really doubt Favre is gonna stink it up.

I think it will just be an interesting side story if Farve is on another team, and following the PAck will still be JUST as exciting for fans.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I would be happy with this scenario obviously, but any combination of the Packers doing well and Favre having personal success is OK by me. It would be best if the Packers outperform Favre's new team, but if they make the playoffs, it would be hard to hold that against Rodgers.

I'm hoping for this:

Packers win the Super Bowl... beating the Favre-led Ravens. Packers get a 3rd round pick next year, and they draft a future Pro Bowl OG with that pick.
:D

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Nobody remembers Johnny Unitas in San Diego, or wherever he played.

I think he played for the COLTS, Harlan. HA HA, Johnny U in San Diego! FUnny one! That will be the day!

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 10:06 PM
It's tough. Favre could take or leave football at this point in his career. It's even a big decision to play for 12 million dollars with a great team and a city that loves him. I guess it's hard for me to get all stoked up for a guy who isn't even stoked up to play.

Rodgers on the other hand is giving his heart and sole to be the very best he can be. He mgiht never be as good as Brett Favre, but man, it's hard not to root for a guy who gives his everythind and genuinely loves the game (enough to play JR college when he thought he had little chance at ever making money at it and would probably still play it for fun if he was a Chiropractor or dentist). Some guys have to get paid to show up and others just love to show up and payment is the icing on the cake. There was a time when Favre loved the game but that time seems to be passed. Above all, I think it's the right thing to move forward with the guys who respect each other enough to show up and love the game enough to commit to it (even in the off season when it might seem inconvenient).

pbmax
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Red's case doesn't hold water as Favre himself dispelled it in his retirement press conference. It has also been revealed by Favre friendly journalists that T2 DID himself persuade our reluctant hero to come back for McCarthy's first term. That throws two big monkey sized wrenches into Red and Woody's theory.

Now if Brett requires more persuasion than a 13-3 team, a berth in the NFC Championship Game and $12 million, what exactly could that be?

As for PackBlues theory of the cold weather factor, I think that could be an issue. But you would have to believe Favre is pretty twisted to go through all this just to arrange a ticket out of town due to his status as a snowbird.

mngolf19
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
if favre does go to the vikings we will have to ban rastak and mngolf :)

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 10:40 PM
It's tough. Favre could take or leave football at this point in his career. It's even a big decision to play for 12 million dollars with a great team and a city that loves him. I guess it's hard for me to get all stoked up for a guy who isn't even stoked up to play.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit. Like he wouldn't be stoked up to play. Favre busted his ass last year, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do it again this year. Why the hell can't people in general gave some consideration for a guy that's played every damn game for the past decade and a half? Is it really a bad idea to give Favre a bit of special treatment or just consider him 'just one of the guys' - The answer is obvious - no matter what the Packers or any other team thinks, he'll never be JUST ONE OF THE GUYS. Favre spent more time in preparation last year than the rest of the team - and there was no reason to think he wouldn't do it this year too. This crazy dismissal of Favre by the Packr organization makes NO SENSE. NONE.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM

What a bunch of fucking bullshit. Like he wouldn't be stoked up to play. Favre busted his ass last year, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do it again this year. Why the hell can't people in general gave some consideration for a guy that's played every damn game for the past decade and a half? Is it really a bad idea to give Favre a bit of special treatment or just consider him 'just one of the guys' - The answer is obvious - no matter what the Packers or any other team thinks, he'll never be JUST ONE OF THE GUYS. Favre spent more time in preparation last year than the rest of the team - and there was no reason to think he wouldn't do it this year too. This crazy dismissal of Favre by the Packr organization makes NO SENSE. NONE.

One of the reasons I won't yet rule out a change of heart.

MJZiggy
07-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Favre spent more time in preparation last year than the rest of the team - and there was no reason to think he wouldn't do it this year too. This crazy dismissal of Favre by the Packr organization makes NO SENSE. NONE.

That's probably part of the problem. Favre burnt himself out doing that. He was a mental train wreck by the time the season was done.

falco
07-11-2008, 11:06 PM
if favre does play for another team this year, i would prefer he suck.

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Favre spent more time in preparation last year than the rest of the team - and there was no reason to think he wouldn't do it this year too. This crazy dismissal of Favre by the Packr organization makes NO SENSE. NONE.

That's probably part of the problem. Favre burnt himself out doing that. He was a mental train wreck by the time the season was done.

ya, i think this is probably true. Takes a lot more effort to play at a high level at his age.

bobblehead
07-11-2008, 11:07 PM
On the other hand...Favre comes back and struggles with his new team, tarnishing his legacy somewhat and we'll constantly hear how "he should have stayed retired" etc. What Favre is doing will completely overshadow any success the Packers will be having. (by media standards) .

I don't think his legacy will be tarnished one bit. Nobody remembers Johnny Unitas in San Diego, or wherever he played.

And I really doubt Favre is gonna stink it up.

I think it will just be an interesting side story if Favre is on another team, and following the PAck will still be JUST as exciting for fans.

Am I the only one who envisions BF with the ravens leading them to 4-12 while throwing 29 picks?

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:10 PM
mraynmand, what does your name mean? I've failed to piece it togther.

As far as Favre, it's just hard to get excited about a guy who doesn't even really know if he wants to play other than a June itch. The kids who love the game and give everything they have to make it each year are a lot easier for me to pull for now. Favre is still a very good player, but football just seems like a chore for him now. That's really too bad. The Packers clearly feel strongly about Rodgers. They were obvously willing to put up with the waiting game in the past. Now they are ready to move on. There's nothing wrong with moving forward. It's nothing to be angry about and none of us really know how it would turn out.

Who among us thought the Walker trade would work out?
Who thought the Ahman Green trade woudl work out?

You never know how these things are going to be looked back on. You're not as informed as Ted Thompson. You really don't have enough information to be all angry and beligerent right now.

Partial
07-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I am really F'in sick of people acting like they're either A) Brett Favre, B) Know what Brett Favre thinks/was thinking, or C) That Favre was just an average player on the team last year.

Favre WAS the team last year. I predict 6-10 this year without BF at the helm, and 11-5 with him.

The Chicago Bulls played half a season when a then retired MJ changed his mind, despite not playing basketball and being in the best shape. That starting shooting guard had to suck it up, sit on the bench, bow to his airness, and take it like a man. The people of Chicago weren't bitching about the inferior backups feelings? Why? Because he's Aaron Rodgers. A nobody. An average joe. A joker.

Why is Rodgers getting the baby treatment? Why is a starting quarterback declared already? Is Favre better today? Yes. Should Favre play over Aaron? Yes. Does Favre deserve to play over Aaron? Yes. Does it hurt the long term future of the club? Not at all. Stop thinking so long term. Our team will likely not have our 6 best players in three years. Think about that one, and how many teams have consistently been able to compete without a star quarterback?!?

Maybe if Aaron would have worked a little harder, etc, he might be a little bit closer in talent to Favre. But he's not even in the same ball park. Aaron's up in the mountains relaxing with his family while the country boy is out playing ball. He has a better arm, he's twice the man, his cock is at least 2 inches longer and thicker, and he is Brett F'in Favre.

When did the dude become an enemy overnight?!?

If I'm TT, I'm on my knees doing whatever it takes to get Favre back. But the dudes ego is out of control and he'd rather go 8-8 with his own team than go 19-0 with Wolf's.

Collins, you have said more dumb shit today than all other days combined. Not want to play? Your fagbag A-Rod is prancing around the mountains with his rich cake boy family while Favre is out practicing. You're a real jagoff sometimes, ya know.

I am going to really jealous over the team Favre takes to the playoffs meanwhile we're bored and depressed anxiously awaiting the pro bowl to see Aaron Kampman.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 11:15 PM
The kids who love the game and give everything they have to make it each year are a lot easier for me to pull for now.

I agree. For all three of them.

Mr. Ayn Rand: In the past generation, women would get married to say Bob Smith, and then they would say: "I'm Mrs. Bob Smith" My mom would say this and I would tell her, "For God's sake, you're not 'Mrs. Bob' - You're 'Betty' Use your real name. So I figured with a tough as balls lady like Ayn Rand, her Husband would go as "Mr. Ayn Rand" completely burying his identity into that of Ayn Rand. Got That? It's totally insane, I know. That's the kind of crap my mind comes up with after 2 AM.

falco
07-11-2008, 11:18 PM
I am really F'in sick of people acting like they're either A) Brett Favre, B) Know what Brett Favre thinks/was thinking, or C) That Favre was just an average player on the team last year.

Favre WAS the team last year. I predict 6-10 this year without BF at the helm, and 11-5 with him.

The Chicago Bulls played half a season when a then retired MJ changed his mind, despite not playing basketball and being in the best shape. That starting shooting guard had to suck it up, sit on the bench, bow to his airness, and take it like a man.

Why is Rodgers getting the baby treatment? Why is a starting quarterback declared already? Is Favre better today? Yes. Should Favre play over Aaron? Yes. Does Favre deserve to play over Aaron? Yes. Does it hurt the long term future of the club? Not at all. Stop thinking so long term. Our team will likely not have our 6 best players in three years. Think about that one, and how many teams have consistently been able to compete without a star quarterback?!?

Maybe if Aaron would have worked a little harder, etc, he might be a little bit closer in talent to Favre. But he's not even in the same ball park. Aaron's up in the mountains relaxing with his family while the country boy is out playing ball. He has a better arm, he's twice the man, his cock is at least 2 inches longer and thicker, and he is Brett F'in Favre.

When did the dude become an enemy overnight?!?

If I'm TT, I'm on my knees doing whatever it takes to get Favre back. But the dudes ego is out of control and he'd rather go 8-8 with his own team than go 19-0 with Wolf's.

Collins, you have said more dumb shit today than all other days combined. Not want to play? Your fagbag A-Rod is prancing around the mountains with his rich cake boy family while Favre is out practicing. You're a real jagoff sometimes, ya know.

no decision is going to be validated until the season is over - no point in crucifying anyone now

bobblehead
07-11-2008, 11:19 PM
mraynmand, what does your name mean? I've failed to piece it togther.

As far as Favre, it's just hard to get excited about a guy who doesn't even really know if he wants to play other than a June itch. The kids who love the game and give everything they have to make it each year are a lot easier for me to pull for now. Favre is still a very good player, but football just seems like a chore for him now. That's really too bad. The Packers clearly feel strongly about Rodgers. They were obvously willing to put up with the waiting game in the past. Now they are ready to move on. There's nothing wrong with moving forward. It's nothing to be angry about and none of us really know how it would turn out.

Who among us thought the Walker trade would work out?
Who thought the Ahman Green trade woudl work out?

You never know how these things are going to be looked back on. You're not as informed as Ted Thompson. You really don't have enough information to be all angry and beligerent right now.

go read atlas shrugged, You'll realize jesus was wrong.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Let's place a little wager on this years team, Partial. I will take $200 straight up on 7 or more wins for the Packers. You said in another thread they would be lucky to in 6. I'll be happy to pay you if I lose, I do have somewhat of a reputation to uphold here and not owning up would be a problem for me.

Will you put your big mouth is or can't you cash those checks? If not, maybe you should consider toning it down. You're really personifying that little dicked nerd that talks big to overcome his deficiancies that Harlan made you out to be.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Interesting name, Mraynrand.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 11:28 PM
You really don't have enough information to be all angry and beligerent right now.

I think I do. I'm ticked that a guy who played an MVP level season for the Packers last year, is a living legend, is the face of the Packers franchise, is one of the best 5 QBs to EVER play the game, is a hell of a lot of fun to watch, etc. appears, to me, to be being forced out in favor of a guy that hasn't started ONE DAMN GAME. To me that's INSANE.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 11:28 PM
That's the kind of crap my mind comes up with after 2 AM.

Prior to 2, you might have come up with something like GreenDay.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 11:29 PM

'GreenDay?' That's pretty lame shit.

falco
07-11-2008, 11:30 PM
wait a minute! mraynwhatever is greenday???

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Your fagbag A-Rod is prancing around the mountains with his rich cake boy family while Favre is out practicing. You're a real jagoff sometimes, ya know.

Jesus Christ Partial, Rodgers hasn't done anything wrong. I can understand being pissed at Ted, but A-Rod? What the hell did he do?

Partial
07-11-2008, 11:32 PM
You really don't have enough information to be all angry and beligerent right now.

I think I do. I'm ticked that a guy who played an MVP level season for the Packers last year, is a living legend, is the face of the Packers franchise, is one of the best 5 QBs to EVER play the game, is a hell of a lot of fun to watch, etc. appears, to me, to be being forced out in favor of a guy that hasn't started ONE DAMN GAME. To me that's INSANE.

Yep.

Partial
07-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Your fagbag A-Rod is prancing around the mountains with his rich cake boy family while Favre is out practicing. You're a real jagoff sometimes, ya know.

Jesus Christ Partial, Rodgers hasn't done anything wrong. I can understand being pissed at Ted, but A-Rod? What the hell did he do?

I hate him so much for not being a man and saying" I will step down for a legend who is 10000x the man and quarterback that I could ever be. Without Favre as a mentor and friend, I would have been like every other tedford quarterback and suck balls".

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Do you really care if they win 13 or 9 games that much? I'm really at a point where I just want to see guys play that want to be there. For some reason I enjoy the whole team aspect more than just the result of the game. I really grew tired of watching someone who was half in it and completely burnt out by a game that others love playing. To me it was sort of an insult to the guys that gave their everything just to be there.

Also, I have a really good feeling about this team. It's 53 guys, not 1. They'll give all of the credit to the QB (in this case Rodgers) but it's really the team. Remember, Chicago had a pretty great team and they just kept plugging in shitty QB after shitty QB and winning games all of the way to the SB. It really has a lot more to do with the other 52 than just that one. I know you'll see it some day. YOu're a smart guy.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 11:35 PM

'GreenDay?' That's pretty lame shit.

Harlan told me Cleft Crusty came up with it.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 11:35 PM
I hate him so much for not being a man and saying" I will step down for a legend who is 10000x the man and quarterback that I could ever be. Without Favre as a mentor and friend, I would have been like every other tedford quarterback and suck balls".

You've been drinking.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:37 PM

You've been drinking.

No. No, he probably hasn't.

Partial
07-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Do you really care if they win 13 or 9 games that much? I'm really at a point where I just want to see guys play that want to be there. For some reason I enjoy the whole team aspect more than just the result of the game. I really grew tired of watching someone who was half in it and completely burnt out by a game that others love playing. To me it was sort of an insult to the guys that gave their everything just to be there.

Also, I have a really good feeling about this team. It's 53 guys, not 1. I think everyone will see that soon enough. They'll give all of the credit to the QB (in this case Rodgers) but it's really the team.

Yes, I do care whether they win. You're a dumbass, Favre plays harder than anyone I have ever seen. If A-Rod has half the passion of Favre he'll be moderately successful from his drive alone.

9 wins and they are not in the playoffs. That would be a good first year for A-Rod and a dissapointing year for Favre.

The next year you'll probably see Al gone, then the year after that Chad and Chuck. Chad, Chuck and Favre are their three best players. The next year wave goodbye to Donald. Their window is closing and they have the talent to win now and still be competitive to tomorrow, yet TTs ego is to big to do it.

Partial
07-11-2008, 11:38 PM

You've been drinking.

A pint full of rage.

Partial
07-11-2008, 11:38 PM

You've been drinking.

No. No, he probably hasn't.

Oh fuck off. Go jock sniff your homeboy and "1st wideout taken guaranteed stud" James Hardy cakeboy. Let the people who actually understand the importance of the position discuss it.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:40 PM
ooohhh oohhh. . . .

Another bet? ? ?

Partial, I love when people talk really big. It's all fun and games but rarely do these big mouths have any conviction. Let's make a couple bets. The first will be on one season and the 2nd can be on the next 5 seasons. I'll put my money on Ted and the Packers winning more than 6 games next year (like you said they would not) and another bet on them making the playoffs at least 2 of the next 5 years.

You're awfully big when you're calling somebody stupid but you're awfully cowardice when you have to stand behind your words.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:51 PM

You've been drinking.

A pint full of rage.

You mean a pint full of fugazi rage to make you look like yoru penis isn't tiny. You're a coward, Partial.

mission
07-11-2008, 11:51 PM
partial you must have long bangs and wear skin tight jeans cuz ...

you're sure acting like a little emo faggot

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Partial, you sound like such an idiot tossing around your dopey little slang. You're a coward, a pussy and an idiot. I'm fully convinced of that and I ddin't even code it to make my dick look bigger or my words seem more acceptable to other poeple. I'll put my opinions up against yours any day of the week and I'll put my money where my mouth is. You're are a tiny dicked coward, nothing more.

Freak Out
07-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Ha ha....this is great shit you fuckers. Best Favre thread of the bunch. Could be the first time Fugazi was ever mentioned on PackerRats.

Zool
07-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Ha ha....this is great shit you fuckers. Best Favre thread of the bunch. Could be the first time Fugazi was ever mentioned on PackerRats.

Haha...thats what I was thinking too. Next make a Face2Face reference.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I really grew tired of watching someone who was half in it and completely burnt out by a game that others love playing. To me it was sort of an insult to the guys that gave their everything just to be there.

This really can't be how you think of Favre, can it? REALLY?

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/graphics/2008/04/16/scitennis116.jpg

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 12:28 AM
. I guess it's hard for me to get all stoked up for a guy who isn't even stoked up to play.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit. Like he wouldn't be stoked up to play. Favre busted his ass last year, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do it again this year. .

I can't agree more with this and it's getting sick to read. I can understand those that don't want Favre back for the right reasons but I think the lack of committment theory is bullshit.

Favre has busted his balls when he's been willing to commit under MM; I think he more than displayed that last year. He'll be committed if he comes back; he missed a OTA so far. He changed his mind.
He'll be committed to the team he ends up getting shipped off to.

BobDobbs
07-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Wow. I just got home from the bar, thought I might check the Brewer's score and Blam. I'm just spinning and it's not from the beer.
I usually stay away from football during the offseason, because there isn't any actual football playing so it gets kind of circular. But this is massive, this is a decade and a half of ups and downs that had a pat storyline finish. The Grizzled Vet hands off the torch to Young Pup. Will he rise from the shadow to glory?
But that's all gone, now there's nothing but hard choices. Who wants to be Ted Thompson right now? I had prepared myself to see the team move on. I was surprised that Favre retired after last year. I thought that he would do it the year before, but everything seemed set for a title run this year. Why not go for it?
I have real concerns about this team's ability to be a championship team and whether Favre still has it is one of those concerns. But, I can never question his effort, his sacrifice, or that he is a better bet to be a superior player to Rodgers next year.
I do think that if the organization doesn't want to play him each party has a responsibility to the other. Favre has a responsibility to try to work with them to find a trade partner that he can accept, and the team has a responsibility to release him early on in training camp unconditionally if a trade can't be worked out.
And lastly, he has a responsibility to us Packer fans to never play for the Bears or the Vikings, because that would be an unforgivable offense.

BobDobbs
07-12-2008, 03:12 AM
I thought I should add that one angle I really wonder about is how the players are going to react to this. This will be a HUGE distraction throughout the preseason and the season.

I mean do they want him back? If TT pushes Favre out does it rip the heart out of the locker room. Are some players sick of the soap opera? Do they just want to move on to a defensively anchored team with a fresh identity.

Well, they probably want to make millions of dollars and win the Super Bowl. Maybe in that order, maybe vice versa. We probably won't know, because any Packer player that speaks his mind to the media about this is crazy and Sam Cassell doesn't play for the Packers.

As a final note I want to say that anyone who absolutely believes that Brett Favre will never play for the Green Bay Packers again also believes that Chad Johson doesn't play for the Bengals and Lance Briggs doesn't play for the Bears. The Counterpoint is that I've seen Jerry Rice in a Raiders Jersey on a Sunday. So, I'm not saying its not true; I'm just saying it's not over.

"It won't be over till that big girl from Decatur sang."

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 08:05 AM
We probably won't know, because any Packer player that speaks his mind to the media about this is crazy and Sam Cassell doesn't play for the Packers.

Funny. But I bet a lot of people talkas 'SOURCES' - then they can pretty much say what they want without having to accept responsibility. "NFL sources say Favre waffled" "Glazers sources confirmed the NFL sources." Buncha candyassed pansies.

3irty1
07-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Quite illogical, if you are M3 or T2, one and done doesn't get it done. They want another contract. And I can't believe you would be so sanguine next year with Brohm when the prospect of Rodgers (who was drafted higher and has more experience) this year leaves you unsure. You haven't even seen Brohm practice, much less in preseason or a game.

Rodgers has more experience? Not by much at all. Brohm is just as good of a prospect as Rodgers and there is no reason he can't be ready to be a starter next year or the year after. Much rawer guys see action much earlier. Hell, the fact that they think highly enough of him to let him back up A-Rod as a rookie says it all. What is illogical is turning what should be a blessing into a nightmare. The Packers are soon going to have a mini-rebuild where they will need to replace multiple pro bowl starters (our only pro bowlers actually). The time to win is this year.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Is there still a chance Favre is a Packer come September?

NO !! :idea:

sheepshead
07-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Sure there is.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Sure there is.

i think its very conceivable yet that Favre and the packers work something out for this year... all depends on how TT weighs his options

but the more that comes out, the more bad taste i get in my mouth about all of it, and don't have much of a problem with the two parting ways

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Did you get a new Moose avatar, Woody? That thing looks pissed off today :)

Fritz
07-12-2008, 09:44 AM
We probably won't know, because any Packer player that speaks his mind to the media about this is crazy and Sam Cassell doesn't play for the Packers.

Funny. But I bet a lot of people talkas 'SOURCES' - then they can pretty much say what they want without having to accept responsibility. "NFL sources say Favre waffled" "Glazers sources confirmed the NFL sources." Buncha candyassed pansies.

Favre used this line of thinking when he texted Al Jones and wrote that "it's all rumor." Turns out Favre was lying - yes, lying - and the "candyassed pansies" the sources - were right.

pbmax
07-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Really? Dragging the decision into June is commitment? Working out with a high school team is commitment? Missing QB camp is commitment? Missing minicamp is commitment?

Not participating in the offseason conditioning is commitment? Partial attendance at OTAs in the past is commitment? Openly grousing about meetings, minicamps and OTAs is commitment?

Remind me never to book you for a motivational speech Bretsky :lol:

Everyone on this board has been told you cannot just turn on the competitive instinct and compete at the highest level. Favre is as clearly bored with preparing to play as he is of riding the tractor, hunting or golf. This is the textbook definition of lack of commitment.

. I guess it's hard for me to get all stoked up for a guy who isn't even stoked up to play.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit. Like he wouldn't be stoked up to play. Favre busted his ass last year, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do it again this year. .

I can't agree more with this and it's getting sick to read. I can understand those that don't want Favre back for the right reasons but I think the lack of committment theory is bullshit.

Favre has busted his balls when he's been willing to commit under MM; I think he more than displayed that last year. He'll be committed if he comes back; he missed a OTA so far. He changed his mind.

pbmax
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Rodgers has three years of experience, Brohm has none. I think thats a large difference.

Rodgers has more experience? Not by much at all. Brohm is just as good of a prospect as Rodgers and there is no reason he can't be ready to be a starter next year or the year after. Much rawer guys see action much earlier. Hell, the fact that they think highly enough of him to let him back up A-Rod as a rookie says it all. What is illogical is turning what should be a blessing into a nightmare. The Packers are soon going to have a mini-rebuild where they will need to replace multiple pro bowl starters (our only pro bowlers actually). The time to win is this year.

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Screw this do not release him or trade him. If he wants to play he plays in the Green and Gold. We can just have a REAL expensive third stringer ;)

I realize you might be joking around, however, if anyone thinks this is a viable option, think of what it might do to the lockerroom, plus, you'd still have to pay him big bucks to ride the pine. Awkward to say the least.

I don't know if the Packer brass will have a sudden change of heart and not want to do the unthinkable and trade/release (releasing less likely) the franchise/HOF-in-waiting/poster child, but my vote would be to calm the waters and would rather deal with him playing for the Packers and giving them the best chance to win now vs. handing the reigns to Rodgers.

falco
07-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Screw this do not release him or trade him. If he wants to play he plays in the Green and Gold. We can just have a REAL expensive third stringer ;)

I realize you might be joking around, however, if anyone thinks this is a viable option, think of what it might do to the lockerroom, plus, you'd still have to pay him big bucks to ride the pine. Awkward to say the least.

I don't know if the Packer brass will have a sudden change of heart and not want to do the unthinkable and trade/release (releasing less likely) the franchise/HOF-in-waiting/poster child, but my vote would be to calm the waters and would rather deal with him playing for the Packers and giving them the best chance to win now vs. handing the reigns to Rodgers.

imagine favre on the sideline with a smug look on his face every time AR throws an interception

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Maybe from another angle. If an NFC Championship caliber team and a $12 million contract isn't enough, just what do you think Brett Favre needed in order to be convinced to play in March?

I think Favre was exhausted. Nothing would have convinced him.

He needed time to rest and relax before he could adequately determine his level of commitment.

I'm not challenging you when I ask this; just wondering how plausible this thought is. Has anyone waited out the post retirement ponderings of a guy like Favre or even close to Favre's ability or status to "leave a spot open for him" if he changed his mind? Is that what a responsible GM/organization does? That's what they would have had to have done in order to make this work, unless they spoke candidly to A-Rod and said, look, Brett just retired and it's your job to lose now, however, if Brett decides to come back, we have to push you back to second string. Would that be an effective way to run an organization? Unless someone can come up with another scenario of how this could have been set up to allow for Favre's possible decision to "un-retire", that is how they would have had to handle this from March 6th until now. Again, I don't have answers to what is most responsible, and this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for the organization.

The team has to decide between poison pills to take at this point. Take the A-Rod pill and ask Favre to come back and be the QB again and make a run at it (and alienate A-Rod in all likelihood), or take the Favre pill and trade/release (less likely to release) Favre and have your legacy be that you were the ones to move Favre from the Packers. Nice choices, huh?

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
If the Foxsports story is true, and Favre jerked them around like that in March, I have to say the team management is correct in moving forward without him.

I am a huge Favre fan, but that is just wrong what he did to them in March (if the story is accurate). They were justified at that point in making a decision to stop screwing around and get this team ready with the players that they know they have.

So, instead of anyone who might just think, poor Brett wasn't wanted anymore by those meanies in the front office, perhaps there is more to the front office's reluctance to just welcome him back with open arms than any fan will ever know. If it was just a random, isolated act of egotism on TT's part to not bring him back and back his own draft pick, then it might be a mistake, not just for possibly this season, but to be viewed in his own legacy as the man who sent Favre packing (no pun intended).

3irty1
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Rodgers has three years of experience, Brohm has none. I think thats a large difference.

Rodgers has three years experience on the sidelines. Both of these guys are highly regarded but also complete question marks. After Brohm has a year to develop he's got the same chance of success as Rodgers. Its not like they're rushing him out there and they already feel comfortable with him backing up Rodgers as a rookie--that speaks volumes.

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM

How bout at the end of camp? With Brett having no opportunity to practice with his new team?

Yeah, nobody would see through that one as an FU to Brett. If you're going to divorce, don't become an asshole in the process, especially since more fans will side with Brett and what he's meant to the organization than they would with TT or MM. That would be a fool's game to do that. Pehaps you were just joking around, as you are want to do (and I laugh often).

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree with this.

I don't. I think his stock goes down the less chance he gets to go to a team and start training camp. If you're going to sell (and I hope they work something out, even if it hurts A-Rod), then sell high. If he attends our training camp and it's a smokescreen, then other organizations might pass because he'd be so behind the learning curve. I'm sure if they are sellers, they are working the phones right now.

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 11:27 AM

I think he played for the COLTS, Harlan. HA HA, Johnny U in San Diego! FUnny one! That will be the day!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/U/UnitJo00.htm Check out 1973. That's what Harlan was talking about. I've heard all the echoes of guys coming back for hanger-on years, like Unitas with the Chargers, Emmit with the Cardinals, OJ with the 49'ers, Namath with the Rams, etc. I don't think any of them were as good at an advanced age as Brett is.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Pehaps you were just joking around, as you are want to do (and I laugh often).

Mostly joking. But I'd use the threat of that leverage as the stick to get Brett to keep his mouth shut and play nice.

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Ya Ayn Rand, you big dummy. Don't you know ANYTHING? :lol: :lol:

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/99/81/22188199.jpg

Fritz
07-12-2008, 11:33 AM

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/U/UnitJo00.htm Check out 1973. That's what Harlan was talking about. I've heard all the echoes of guys coming back for hanger-on years, like Unitas with the Chargers, Emmit with the Cardinals, OJ with the 49'ers, Namath with the Rams, etc. I don't think any of them were as good at an advanced age as Brett is.

I'd have to agree. At the same time, people assume that Favre will just pick up where he left off, and I'm not sure that without the constant heavy training he did the last couple of years that that's necessarily going to happen.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Yeah, nobody would see through that one as an FU to Brett. If you're going to divorce, don't become an asshole in the process, especially since more fans will side with Brett and what he's meant to the organization than they would with TT or MM. That would be a fool's game to do that. Pehaps you were just joking around, as you are want to do (and I laugh often).

And again, I need to clarify my position. I'd play Brett this year. I'd also kick him in the nuts for creating all this trouble.

I come up with these scenarios just to play Devils advocate.

packers11
07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
John Clayton just said the most possible scenario is the he will be the starting QB by week 1...

the least would be if he gets released.

Packers4Ever
07-12-2008, 03:25 PM

Give the guy credit for being bold. Keeping Brett is the safer move, and would placate the majority of Packer nation. It's definitely the path of least resistance.

I've been in Favre's corner all the way. yet I can't help but feel
a bit sorry for TT's plight either.

It sort of spoils his GM of the Year award.
But that was for 2007, wasn't it? You win some, lose some....

Sparkey
07-12-2008, 03:36 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678

Doesn't seem too forced to me....

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM

I can understand this split on our forum because I never will believe that after last season Favre would be the QB of choice for TT and his boss. I believe there is too much evidence built up since Ted Thompson's arrival that didn't support winning and Brett Favre.

A solution to get us to the Super Bowl was treated 'at best' casually by TT last season, and agree with it or not, TT had Randy Moss well in hand and blew it. Today Randy Moss is the top ranked WR in the NFL.

Despite that Favre did double time in his commitment to our team. He busted his ass for us and nearly had a career year. Did he burn out? it's now obvious to many of us 'in fact' he did. Yet he was the QB for a 13-3 record. He was the QB that took us to within one win of that super Bowl appearance. That fact of burn out is a huge factor in his need to take more time to decide on 2008 and his beloved Packer team.

For GOD's sake why can't the Favre slayers here see that? They somehow believe that Aaon Rodgers will get it done better than Brett Favre. They certainly now will see if they are correct.

To slam Brett Favre to get their agenda and total support of Ted Thompson 'to reality', is in my opinion assinine at best. To support determination of what TT has to do, to reduce Favre's dream of another Super Bowl, specifically as to who Brett Favre can or can't suit up with, is wrong. Dead wrong and karma will play a role in determining just how wrong that is. If that agenda unfolds.

Karma can be weighed to the good here. :)

Ted Thompson has to act speedily. He wants Favre back or he doesn't. Ted Thompson can't toss up a smoke screen over this issue. He has to act to protect Packer history one way or the other. Welcome Favre back or release Favre outright and ASAP. No trade and no stall. Brett Favre certainly deserves that much respect. We then have to respect his rights to play for any team that wants him. Under no circumstances given all we know. Brett Favre and a trade isn't right.

I hope Ted Thompson demonstrates some class as this issue stands. I hope Ted Thompson offers Favre's outright release in the next week. That move and only that move best describes 'a win - win situation' for both sides and the Packer Organization. If Ted Thompson and his boss's have decided to move on without Brett Favre. Feel they have the solution without Brett Favre. Then demonstrate that with an outright release. This situation of Brett Favre and Ted Thompson and the Packers, has to end with the class of the Packer Organization foremost and 'in tact'.

A recent quote of Ted Thompson from an interview over Brett Favre and his desire to play as our QB:

“We understand this is a very volatile, sensitive thing,” Thompson said.

“Fans are unbelievably passionate about this team and passionate about Brett Favre. We understand that, and we’re going to try to stay steady, consistent, and try to do the right thing for Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.”

As sad as this has become I can live with that as a Packer fan. Favre's outright release. It's time to say goodbye. It just got this way and it must end.

PACKERS FOREVER >>>> moving forward.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 04:44 PM

And again, I need to clarify my position. I'd play Brett this year. I'd also kick him in the nuts for creating all this trouble.

No Scott Campbell ! I think you came up with your scenario, because you can't rise above YOU. :idea:

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I disagree with you Woody. I hope the Packer brass don't give him his outright release because while that would free up the cap dollars, certainly, it wouldn't allow the Packer brass any leverage and he might sign with a team where Brett could hurt the Packers. If Brett wishes to be gone and there is no salvaging the relationship to bring him back to the active roster to compete for the starters position at QB, then trade him. That would have to be made abundantly clear from Favre's camp. If he's willing to stay on the roster and compete for the starting job, then keep him. It's all on Brett and what he's comfortable with at this point, IMO. First, obviously, he has the be reinstated according to his desire, then he has to work it out with the Packers if he is willing to accept the role they want him to have. With Rodgers being so prone to injury, I would think he'd see a shot with Green Bay as good as any. Also, if the competition is indeed wide open, he has to like his chances to beat out Rodgers, and Rodgers would just have to accept the competition and not feel entitled.

son of a vic
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while, but I see Woody still has a man crush on Teddy. The earth will still rotate on it's axis if Brett's not the QB in GB. This QB of legend is doing his best to sully his legacy by acting like a woman scorned. Get over it y'all, he ain't comin' back, and that wasn't Ted's call. Favre made his decision and now he should sack up and stand by it, instead of ripping apart the team that made him a rich hillbilly.

pbmax
07-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Like Tank's unrequited love for Logan Mankins, it should be abundantly clear that Moss doesn't equal a Super Bowl trip. He hasn't for nearly 10 years and he likely will continue to be overvalued.

Of far greater concern is the defense and its pass rush. That was the case last offseason and continues to be the case this season. For this year, you can add the second CB and Safety position as areas of concern. And it goes without saying that we may have as many as four guards who can play full time, or possibly none.

To say failing to land Moss equates with failing to try to win with Favre simply defies all logic of last years team.

My question to those who question Thompson's commitment is this:

Why are you not examining Favre's commitment to the same extent?

Skipping the offseason weight program, OTAs, minicamp, QB camp and practicing with a High School Football team would have gotten Favre shipped to Arizona under Holmgren. Why is this OK today?

A solution to get us to the Super Bowl was treated 'at best' casually by TT last season, and agree with it or not, TT had Randy Moss well in hand and blew it. Today Randy Moss is the top ranked WR in the NFL.

digitaldean
07-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Woody,

There is no way on earth other teams would have handled this situation differently.

I don't hate Favre at all. Over the last few months he has acted like a juvenile. He has to voice his opinion through surrogates. When TT and M3 were going to fly down to Mississippi and go over plans on announcing his return Favre says "oops, sorry, changed my mind".

Even when TT visited Brett's home in April before the draft, Brett never said squat about returning.

Try quitting your job and ask your employer back for it 6 months later. More often than not you're going to be out of luck.

In going over this with the media today, it still appears TT is leaving the door open for Favre to play. But Brett still has to make a move. For once, he needs to man up and address the issue publicly HIMSELF.

Contracts should be lived up to. If the Packers have him under contract for the next 2 or 3 seasons. They are obligated to pay him 12 or 13 MILLION BUCKS a year as long as he wants to play. If Brett wants to play only in Green Bay as he professed last year, then he can let the chips fall where they may here. If he wants out, he has to realize the Packers aren't stupid enough to release him just so he can join the Queens or Bears.

No one player, no matter who it is, is bigger than the team. Skipping workouts, OTA's, having a private dressing room, etc. does not exude being a teammate. Even his comments on mentoring Rodgers showed a lack of professionalism.

I will always cherish the way Favre helped lift this team from the dumpster. But, guess what, he didn't do it himself.

Also, we keep hearing about how little support Favre got from TT. I think that was more true during Wolf's end and Shermy's tenure than now. Randy Moss still didn't get his SB ring yet did he? (even with Tom Brady at QB)

Grant gave him a running game, Jennings and Driver played well last year.

Brett is responsible for most of this mess, not TT.

son of a vic
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
pbmax, you cannot infuse your factual statements into Woody's fictional fantasy. You are better than that!

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I disagree with you Woody. I hope the Packer brass don't give him his outright release because while that would free up the cap dollars, certainly, it wouldn't allow the Packer brass any leverage and he might sign with a team where Brett could hurt the Packers. If Brett wishes to be gone and there is no salvaging the relationship to bring him back to the active roster to compete for the starters position at QB, then trade him. That would have to be made abundantly clear from Favre's camp. If he's willing to stay on the roster and compete for the starting job, then keep him. It's all on Brett and what he's comfortable with at this point, IMO. First, obviously, he has the be reinstated according to his desire, then he has to work it out with the Packers if he is willing to accept the role they want him to have. With Rodgers being so prone to injury, I would think he'd see a shot with Green Bay as good as any. Also, if the competition is indeed wide open, he has to like his chances to beat out Rodgers, and Rodgers would just have to accept the competition and not feel entitled.

It seems to me that your heart is with Favre and being a Packer in 2008. :D Many of us here would clap for that, but the situation has become strained and it's not going to improve.

I want an outright release because it seems clearly to me to be the fair way. I don't want to see Favre forced to the bench, nor in anyway controlled in terms of where he should have the right to play as a starter, which he certainly is.

If TT imagines, desires, or otherwise wants Aaron Rodgers to be our starter. Then simply cut Brett Favre loose so he has a reasonable opportunity to QB another team of his choice. The head games STOP there. This situation is too obviously strained and noone needs it anymore.

I believe Favre's first choice is Green Bay and not as Aaron Rodgers back-up. It's that or TT's plan... that seems to place Favre behind Aaron Rodgers. For all that Brettt Favre has brought to us he deserves the dignity of an outright release, not some false shuffle from team management.

Packer management have been reported as having moved on. If so... then release Brett Favre very soon.

PACKERS FOREVER.

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
I believe Favre's first choice is Green Bay and not as Aaron Rodgers back-up. It's that or TT's plan... that seems to place Favre behind Aaron Rodgers.

I think, per TT, that it has more to do with the fact that Aaron Rodgers is an active player and Favre is a retired player. TT's not committing to ANYTHING (besides refusing to release Favre) until Favre files for reinstatement (because right now, he's retired)

digitaldean
07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
For all that Brettt Favre has brought to us he deserves the dignity of an outright release, not some false shuffle from team management.

And for all the Packers have done for Brett Favre and the Favre family, Brett needs to talk himself about the subject at a press conference to clear this crap up. Not through his surrogates like Mort or Al Jones from Biloxi. Not through his mom or his brother.

He can put a lot of issues to rest if he owns up to all the behind the scenes subterfuge as well.

It's a 2-way street here. Brett was one of the key components to get this team back on top. But he had a team pick him when it looked like he'd be a burnout in ATL. The team stood by him when he had the Vicodin addiction. The team has paid him a HUGE salary and has bent over backwards to try and accommodate him.

They may not have gotten Randy Moss, but TT has one of the best WR corps in the NFL. Plus now they have a RB in Grant that can run like a horse.

Brett's waffling has caused this mess and no one else.

swede
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
For all that Brettt Favre has brought to us he deserves the dignity of an outright release, not some false shuffle from team management. a team pick him when it looked like he'd be a burnout in ATL. The team stood by him when he had the Vicodin addiction. The team has paid him a HUGE salary and has bent over backwards to try and accommodate him.

They may not have gotten Randy Moss, but TT has one of the best WR corps in the NFL. Plus now they have a RB in Grant that can run like a horse.

Yep.

Woody. The Packers don't owe Favre anything that would potentially hurt this team.

My new line of thinking is that Brett comes back and wins the job in a relatively fair competition, Aaron is unhappy but quiet, the team matures and handles the shitstorm with MM's guidance, and we go on to win the division.

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 06:03 PM
My new line of thinking is that Brett comes back and wins the job in a relatively fair competition, Aaron is unhappy but quiet .

A "fair competition" is laughable. You gonna have them throw footballs through a tire?

Farve is Cary Grant in the 1960's. Cary Grant doesn't audition for parts. But now he's getting older, and despite the fact he is the best actor in the world, maybe he's not a leading man anymore. The director just decides whether Cary Grant has still got it, or whether its time to give young upstart Steve McQueen a shot.

I have no idea what I am trying to say. Judy, Judy, Judy

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:05 PM

No Scott Campbell ! I think you came up with your scenario, because you can't rise above YOU. :idea:

Hehehe.........Scott Campbell can still get a rise out of you.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM

Hehehe.........Scott Campbell can still get a rise out of you.

No Scott for I've found that those who shout hate are 'in fact' the haters; and those that act as fools are 'in fact'... fools.

Zool
07-12-2008, 10:12 PM
For all that Brettt Favre has brought to us he deserves the dignity of an outright release, not some false shuffle from team management. a team pick him when it looked like he'd be a burnout in ATL. The team stood by him when he had the Vicodin addiction. The team has paid him a HUGE salary and has bent over backwards to try and accommodate him.

Yep.

Woody. The Packers don't owe Favre anything that would potentially hurt this team.

My new line of thinking is that Brett comes back and wins the job in a relatively fair competition, Aaron is unhappy but quiet, the team matures and handles the shitstorm with MM's guidance, and we go on to win the division.

Well they do owe him $39mil to sit on the bench if he so desires. I'm pretty sure I would sit on the bench for 36 months to make $39mil. Ego be damned.

swede
07-12-2008, 10:20 PM
A "fair competition" is laughable. You gonna have them throw footballs through a tire?

Yes, but Brett gets a really big tire.

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 10:29 PM

It seems to me that your heart is with Favre and being a Packer in 2008. :D Many of us here would clap for that, but the situation has become strained and it's not going to improve.

I want an outright release because it seems clearly to me to be the fair way. I don't want to see Favre forced to the bench, nor in anyway controlled in terms of where he should have the right to play as a starter, which he certainly is.

If TT imagines, desires, or otherwise wants Aaron Rodgers to be our starter. Then simply cut Brett Favre loose so he has a reasonable opportunity to QB another team of his choice. The head games STOP there. This situation is too obviously strained and noone needs it anymore.

I believe Favre's first choice is Green Bay and not as Aaron Rodgers back-up. It's that or TT's plan... that seems to place Favre behind Aaron Rodgers. For all that Brettt Favre has brought to us he deserves the dignity of an outright release, not some false shuffle from team management.

Packer management have been reported as having moved on. If so... then release Brett Favre very soon.

PACKERS FOREVER.

If you read this...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiAybYE_xp2sLT_wi3HsGD85nYcB?slug=ap-packers-favretimeline&prov=ap&type=lgns

you might not conclude that the Packers were playing any kind of games. It seems Brett was hemming and hawing several times and that the Packers were reaching out to him. After reading the link above, the Packers even had it in mind to see if he wanted to come back, Favre agreed to meet to talk about it, and then once again decided to stay retired and not have the Packers down for a visit. As great and beloved as a player is, and Favre is both to me, you still have to conduct yourself in a certain manner and be decisive at some point and not pump fake the team. I don't know if the team got frustrated, but it seems like they were taking Brett at his word the second time he said he wanted to come back and then decided to stay retired. At that point I'm not sure what the team was supposed to do besides wait for Brett to see things with more cetainty as far as a comeback goes. While I agree with their strategy to leave a spot open for him even after he retired on March 6th, I don't know how you can go forward with a player being that uncertain, and the reason why they decided to go forward without him. What choice did they really have without a certain commitment from Brett. I'm not making Brett the villian, nor am I making the front office the villian, but at some point, Brett has to decide something with certainty and the team has to do what is best for the offseason program and moving forward.

Brett had the right to be indecisive on a comeback, even after he retired March 6th, but the Packers had the right to move on when they didn't think he was certain of a comeback. I don't know if there was a whole lot of malice. Frustration certainly, as they probably wish the guy could have been decisive a lot sooner. As for all the talk about Favre not being wanted, I don't see it. Seems like they tried, and people can spin it and say, well they could have said this or done that, but the link above does show they tried.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't think it matters what you show him. He'll still blindly hate Ted.

Packers4Ever
07-13-2008, 08:19 PM

:P LMAO
Sorry, but you are a hoot, Mr. H. :wink:

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 08:28 PM

:P LMAO
Sorry, but you are a hoot, Mr. H. :wink:

Well, he's available.

Harlan Huckleby
07-13-2008, 11:22 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while, but I see Woody still has a man crush on Teddy.

Man, I must be even further out of the loop. I thought Ted and Woody were on the outs. Maybe it is like one of those romantic comedies where two people start out hating each other, but then love wins them over.