PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Brett Favre asks Packers for his release

Pages : [1] 2

Brando19
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Chris Mortensen is on ESPN right now saying they were at a meeting and Favre asked TT for his release, saying he still wants to play! CRAP!!!!!!!!!

rbaloha1
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Trade BF for a minimum #1 pick + multiple pics.

It is total BS Favre only wants to play for the Packers.

Thank you BF. Much success. Hope we meet again.

cheesner
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Chris Mortensen is on ESPN right now saying they were at a meeting and Favre asked TT for his release, saying he still wants to play! CRAP!!!!!!!!!
Chris Mortensen was at the meeting?

Who is 'They'?

Partial
07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
How about they cut A-Rod instead?!?

Brando19
07-11-2008, 02:41 PM

Who is 'They'?

I'm not sure. I just walked in the door...turned on ESPN and heard Chris Mortensen saying "they" were at a meeting and it has been confirmed that Brett Favre has assured TT he wants to play and has indeed asked for his release from the Green Bay Packers. Mortensen then said he saw Favre working out this week and he was throwing the ball and looks absolutey phenomenal. I wish I could have heard the whole conversation, but it was indeed on the screen "Brett Favre asks for his release."

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Come on TT, swallow it and bring Brett back, it's your only choice.

GoPackGo
07-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Favre formally seeks release from Packers, sources say
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: July 11, 2008, 3:42 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

During a conference call on Tuesday that included Packers general manager Ted Thompson, Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Favre and Cook, sources say that the quarterback stated emphatically that he wanted to play again.

When Favre was reminded by the Packers' brass that it was in March when the quarterback said publicly and privately that he wasn't 100 percent committed to football, sources said Favre acknowledged his state of mind at the time, but added that he never felt he was a 100 percent committed in March of previous years, either. Favre felt he had to make a decision to retire because the Packers were pressing him for an answer, a source said.

During the same conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy were openly receptive or enthused about Favre's desire to un-retire, the sources said, prompting Favre to direct Cook to request his release from the Packers. Favre has three years remaining on his contract for a total of $39 million. He currently is on the reserve-retired list.

Favre wants a mutual parting rather than having to force the Packers' hand by writing a letter to request his reinstatement to the active 80-man roster. Under league policy, the team would have to comply or release him.

Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached." Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for any other franchise.

Favre has been in communication with McCarthy during the past month about his desire to play but until this week had not spoken with Thompson.

Neither Thompson nor McCarthy were available for comment on Friday.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg. He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing a football 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

Favre was relaxed and in a positive frame of mind, joking and telling stories about himself, former teammates and coaches. He planned to continue working out next week.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Packers4Ever
07-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Who is 'They'?

Yes, he was a guest on Mike & Mike. an hour-long show on ESPN. evidently Favre asked for his release, still wants to play ! And why not?
I think Cheesner meant Chris Carter, former Viking's star,

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Bout time.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
This is just step two. While Favre wants a amicable parting of the ways, that leaves the Packers with bupkus in compensation.

I don't think Favre is going to net a boatload of picks, given the leverage is all on his side, probably not even a single number one pick.

But it would be a double shot to lose Favre and get no compensation. And no strings attached. Meaning, he can sign in the division.

GoPackGo
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
The Ball is now in TT and McCarthy's court. They need to tell Brett they want him to QB for the Pack this year!

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
During the same conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy were openly receptive or enthused ...............

.......the bastards.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I think we are past that point. After a conference call, Favre still wasn't convinced. Regardless of which side is closer to the truth, one side has decided its time to leave.

The all is now in TT and McCarthy's court. They need to tell Brett they want him to QB for the Pack this year!

Brando19
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Is there still a chance Favre is a Packer come September?

GoPackGo
07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I can see why they weren't excited to hear that he changed his mind. He went in public and said he didn't want to play anymore!

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
This sucks

GoPackGo
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
kiss and make up time for all!

pbmax
Wait til Woody gets wind of this. He's three years late, but this has been his contention since T2 failed to sign and resign the first batch of FAs. And Sharper's release.

During the same conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy were openly receptive or enthused ...............

.......the bastards.

Rastak

Of course. Green Bay has no requirement to either cut him or trade him.

Tony Oday
Thanks Favre. What a I dont even want to say it. Thanks for asking for a release and not wanting to stay with the team that made you. Im just disgusted....

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks Favre. What a I dont even want to say it. Thanks for asking for a release and not wanting to stay with the team that made you. Im just disgusted....

I think Favre is absolutely correct. If Thompson is going to claim that the Favre era in Green Bay is over and that the team is moving on with Rodgers, then they should release Favre and let him do what he wants.

Rastak
Where is Tex when you need him.

"The god damned media is making this up"

"it's a bunch of disloyal assholes stirring up things to hurt the Packers"

Actually, I could write for an hour but you get the gist.

pbmax
My money is on a warm weather or, failing that, a dome team to avoid the Bears/Giants disappointments. Regardless of his remaining skill level, one thing about Favre has become mortal and that is his ability to withstand playing in near zero temps and windchills.

Tony Oday
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
F that. We should have the flip flopping great QB BACK as a Packer! Son of a... :) I hope they can atleast keep him away from the division...

Scott Campbell

I think he did ask to play for the team They told him no thanks. Then he aked for his outright release. At least that is what is being contended here.

pbmax
Tex walked straight into that hole of his own free will. But he will dig out by throwing dirt on Thompson.

Tony Oday
07-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Then TT needs to be run out on a rail. Favre still has it we all know that...eek! This sucks I had moved on from the great one now he comes back! Its like that highschool relationship that wont end! ;)

The Leaper
My money is on the Vikings...Favre wants to stick it to Thompson, and he will get no better chance than opening night.

GoPackGo
There's no way that team managment has burned the bridge down with the greatest QB to ever wear a Packer Uniform. There's time to fix this mistake.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM

I think Favre is absolutely correct. If Thompson is going to claim that the Favre era in Green Bay is over and that the team is moving on with Rodgers, then they should release Favre and let him do what he wants.

Unless they can trade him for something, and control where he ends up. Yeah, yeah, I know - he's the Favre. But it's still a business.

SkinBasket
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Think I'll just give this whole release story a few more hours to pan out. Remember Favre was supposedly dead set on being traded a couple years ago too according to some sources.

pbmax
Ras, do you ever read the blogs kissingsuzykolber or deadspin? There is an post you need to read that covers a Vikings fan's reaction to the possibility of Favre on his favorite team. Its hysterical, and profane. Mostly hysterical.

Scott Campbell
Think I'll just give this whole release story a few more hours to pan out. Remember Favre was supposedly dead set on being traded a couple years ago too according to some sources.

Exactly. Brett's not the only one allowed to change his mind. Mike and Ted might too.

Tony Oday
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Maybe this is why TT stayed so far below the cap! ;) hehe

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
At least that way we can still have the jersey retirement ceremony right? No?

Well, he won't be using it by then....

My money is on the Vikings...Favre wants to stick it to Thompson, and he will get no better chance than opening night.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Always a chance. And still more of a chance than if he had stayed retired.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Unless they can trade him for something, and control where he ends up. Yeah, yeah, I know - he's the Favre. But it's still a business.

No team will trade for Favre unless he OKs the deal.

I'm guessing that Favre is relatively pissed at Thompson for not letting him return to Green Bay...so helping Thompson out in that regard isn't likely to happen.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I think you are exactly right. Even by Thompson's penny pinching ways he is $10 mil beyond his normal bankroll for the cap.

But I believe that is to buy them time, not to keep him on the roster.

Maybe this is why TT stayed so far below the cap! ;) hehe

HarveyWallbangers

I'm guessing that Favre is relatively pissed at Thompson for not letting him return to Green Bay...so helping Thompson out in that regard isn't likely to happen.

If Favre wants to play that game, Thompson can just activate him and let him sit on the bench. Hopefully, something amicable will come. I'd guess that Favre and the Packers will agree upon some teams to deal with, and Cook can then work out contract terms with one of those teams.

The Leaper
I can see why they weren't excited to hear that he changed his mind. He went in public and said he didn't want to play anymore!

Mike Sherman probably wasn't too happy that Thompson changed his mind about him either. I don't see Thompson apologizing for that.

Scott Campbell

Brett does not have any trade clauses in his contract that I'm aware of. The trade can be made contingent on Brett reporting. And if he won't report, he'll have no choice but to stay retired. If the Titans can trade Pacman while he's suspended, the Packers can easily trade Brett.

GoPackGo
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM
The dust will settle and Favre will QB the Pack again

Partial
There's no way that team managment has burned the bridge down with the greatest QB to ever wear a Packer Uniform. There's time to fix this mistake.

Greatest quarterback who has worn any email ever.

Tony Oday
Screw this do not release him or trade him. If he wants to play he plays in the Green and Gold. We can just have a REAL expensive third stringer ;)

Pacopete4
07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
this is just an awful day in Packerland... one that i'll probably never forget, how we turn our back on this man is just heart breaking and gut wrenching

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
The dust will settle and Favre will QB the Pack again

He might, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. If the team really wanted him back, none of this high drama would have existed in the first place.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
This would be the best outcome Harv, but if the letter leak is from Cook or Favre, then he is publicly positioning himself as ready to leave. Having him on the roster goes from a slow newsday distraction to a major one in a hurry.

There is a small window here and not much Packer leverage, if indeed they are ready to move past him, active or not.

If Favre wants to play that game, Thompson can just activate him and let him sit on the bench. Hopefully, something amicable will come. I'd guess that Favre and the Packers will agree upon some teams to deal with, and Cook can then work out contract terms with one of those teams.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
If Favre wants to play that game, Thompson can just activate him and let him sit on the bench.

I doubt the team will want to waste a roster spot on that...and Rodgers sure as hell won't want Favre sitting there.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
this is just an awful day in Packerland... one that i'll probably never forget, how we turn our back on this man is just heart breaking and gut wrenching

4th and 26 was an awful day.
Losing the Superbowl was an awful day.

When it comes to Brett, this is just another story in The Days of Our Lives.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Favre does have a huge cap number that not every team can handle immediately. He also has the ability to hint that he won't report to certain teams and would just retire if he can't force the release.

More than likely, a team that is trading picks will want a new contract and assurances that he will report before the trade happens.

Brett does not have any trade clauses in his contract that I'm aware of. The trade can be made contingent on Brett reporting. And if he won't report, he'll have no choice but to stay retired. If the Titans can trade Pacman while he's suspended, the Packers can easily trade Brett.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I think both sides have plenty of leverage to make the outcome somewhat unpredictable, and fairly entertaining - depending on your perspective.

Rastak
07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Ras, do you ever read the blogs kissingsuzykolber or deadspin? There is an post you need to read that covers a Vikings fan's reaction to the possibility of Favre on his favorite team. Its hysterical, and profane. Mostly hysterical.

No I've never seen that. Maybe I should.

As far as Favre and the Vikings, I think they would have been about an 12-4 team last year the way he played. Maybe better. The thing is, he's gonna fall off soon, might be right now so it's a risk. I'm not a big Jackson guy but people who know more than me see lots of upside. I guess I'd be in favor of getting the great satan ( :wink: ) for a year.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 03:15 PM

What other team is going to want that drama? Are you kidding me? Besides, that other team would then trade Favre to wherever he wants to go...because they don't care about what happens if he goes to Minnesota.

I'm sorry, but Thompson is only going to be able to trade Favre to a place that Favre wants to go...and after being told that he is worth less to the organization than a guy with zero starts at QB, I'm guessing Favre will want to go somewhere that Thompson wouldn't like him to go.

Zool
07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Reminds me of the season that McMahon played in GB. Made me sick to see that dbag in a Packer uni.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Of course. Green Bay has no requirement to either cut him or trade him.THey only have to put him on the active Roster whcih they will do. They are also not under obligation to move him or even play him afterwards.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Quite possibly, Thompson has shown that he will do things as he sees fit, even if it means being booed in the atrium. And he does have the cap space.

But if Favre doesn't want to be there and if other teams know you are trying to move him. There isn't much incentive to act quickly. And by then, you have to decide who starts or if there is an open competition.

I think both sides have plenty of leverage to make the outcome somewhat unpredictable, and fairly entertaining - depending on your perspective.

Scott Campbell
Favre does have a huge cap number that not every team can handle immediately. He also has the ability to hint that he won't report to certain teams and would just retire if he can't force the release.

If Brett tried to play that game, I'd trade him to the Dolphins along with a 6th round pick, and I'd agree to surrender the 6th round pick if he refused to report. So the Dolphin's would have nothing to lose if he didn't report.

The Leaper
Reminds me of the season that McMahon played in GB. Made me sick to see that dbag in a Packer uni.

McMahon was a backup at best by then.

Favre is still one of the best QBs in the NFL, and Thompson just told all of us that kind of player is basically worthless to him.

Rastak

That makes the most sense to me Harv. Why cut a guy when he has some value. Then again, if you look at some posts over the last few years they seem to resonate with "Favre has earned it, he can do what he wants".

Tony Oday
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Trade him to the Fins for Jason Taylor...

Zool

McMahon was a backup at best by then.

Favre is still one of the best QBs in the NFL, and Thompson just told all of us that kind of player is basically worthless to him.

Or maybe like someone said that this isnt the Green Bay Favres. Its the Green Bay Packers.

The Leaper
If Brett tried to play that game, I'd trade him to the Dolphins along with a 6th round pick, and I'd agree to surrender the 6th round pick if he refused to report. So the Dolphin's would have nothing to lose if he didn't report.

Yeah, but they'd have something to gain by trading Favre to wherever he wants to go.

And the Dolphins don't care if the Vikings have Favre.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm tellin ya, the Packers have plenty of leverage - if they choose to use it. The dude is under contract. And Brett accepted lots of signing bonus money in return for granting the Packers that right.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:20 PM
what a shitty situation

hard to blame favre, he wants to come here

but in the end its his fault for retiring and putting us in this situation

i am a packer fan and will root for the pack regardless

Rastak
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM

That actually makes lots of sense for the Packers. Not sure if it makes sense for the Phins.

Where is Butt Plug? I'd like to see his comments. Must be waiting for his Walmart shift to end.

Scott Campbell
And the Dolphins don't care if the Vikings have Favre.

The Dolphins have cap space, and need asses in seats. The Vikings already traded at 1 and 2 3rds for Jared Allen. They're running out of picks to trade, and would probably have to surrender a player or two - just for a season or two of the Rent A Favre.

Partial

Bite your tongue. Disgusting. This is BRETT FAVRE. The almighty. The man. The legend.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:22 PM

Bite your tongue. Disgusting. This is BRETT FAVRE. The almighty. The man. The legend.

as opposed to him being cut?? that's a bit more disgusting

Tony Oday

That is screwing over our team....

The Leaper
The Dolphins have cap space, and need asses in seats. The Vikings already traded at 1 and 2 3rds for Jared Allen. They're running out of picks to trade, and would probably have to surrender a player or two - just for the Rent A Favre.

What do they care?

The Vikings want to win a Super Bowl.

The Packers are looking forward to 2015 I guess.

If we trade Favre for a 6th, the Dolphins make out by getting a 4th in return.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
What a sad situation - disappointed in BF, TT & Murphy.

Imagine a CEO of a large organization wavering like this! It's called succession planning. Why be all 'closed doors' and 'no comment' - fricken communicate dumbasses.

This is just BS... If Favre wasn't ready to make a 100% call, why have the retirement speach? Was he pushed b/c of the draft by TT? If so, TT is a goat despite his recent success. No way do I stand and support him.

Does TT really think ARod is better than Favre? Watch this playout - ARod comes back and plays against Favre in Wk 1... and check back in about Wk 5 when fricken Brohm is playing b/c Rodgers gets injured. Then we'll really hear from the trolls on 'siberia' again. I'm a Packer fan first - but a close Favre fan second... ehh - this just blows.

Gosh, imagine Brett playing for the Queens or Baby Bears... (I think I just tossed my lunch).

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM

That actually makes lots of sense for the Packers. Not sure if it makes sense for the Phins.

Where is Butt Plug? I'd like to see his comments. Must be waiting for his Walmart shift to end.Dolphns don't run the WCO. Not happening.

Freak Out
07-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Mort is a commie and is spinning BS to try and fuck with America's team.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
From Deadspin a few days ago:

http://deadspin.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/07/Fuckingredneckassholeshitstain.jpg

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Mort is a commie and is spinning BS to try and fuck with America's team.Remember, this is the guy who kept reporting that Favre retired becuase of not getting Randy Moss even though his employer, ESPN, ran his own vociemail from Brett stating that wasn't the case.

Rastak
07-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Mort is a commie and is spinning BS to try and fuck with America's team.

Hey Tex, it's against the rules to use 2 accounts......

j/k

:wink:

Freak Out
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM

http://deadspin.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/07/Fuckingredneckassholeshitstain.jpg

Worst use of photo editing ever.

Tony Oday
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
that picture made me throw up a little

Freak Out
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Screw this thread people....there is some cool stuff going on in the RR. :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
The Packers could also just activate him, sit on this and make Brett stew. Then they could let the league know that anyone contacting Brett, or Bus about Brett playing for them would be considered tampering - a major no no with players under contract. Let him pout on the end of the bench until the end of training camp, and then release him before you have to start writing the big checks. It'd be a little late for teams to work him into their offense by that point.

Those of you saying the Packers have no leverage aren't thinking through all the possible scenarios. Now the Packers may decide not to screw with him. But they could screw with him.

The Leaper

Just wait until opening night when Favre beats us in Lambeau in front of a national audience.

pbmax
Two days ago it made me laugh. Now... I am right with you.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Worst use of photo editing ever.

At least they didn't replace Grossman's face with Brett's, while KGB was mounted on top of him.

packers11
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
TAKE HIM BACK T.T.

WHATEVER YOU DO ... DO NOT RELEASE HIM!!!

Tony Oday
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Just wait until opening night when Favre beats us in Lambeau in front of a national audience.

It would be cool if we picked him off a couple times and brought back the curse of the dome in reverse...would he play on that surface? cant be good on the knees...

falco
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM

It would be cool if we picked him off a couple times and brought back the curse of the dome in reverse...would he play on that surface? cant be good on the knees...

i would love it

Rastak

Opening day is in Green Bay.

cpk1994
The Packers could also just activate him, sit on this and make Brett stew. Then they could let the league know that anyone contacting Brett, or Bus about Brett playing for them would be considered tampering - a major no no to players under contract. Let him pout on the end of the bench until the end of training camp, and then release him before you have to start writing the big checks. It'd be a little late for teams to work him into their offense by that point.

Those of you saying the Packers have no leverage aren't thinking through all the possible scenarios. Now the Packers may decide not to screw with him. But they could.Exactly. DOn't think for a moment that Brett, if this true, gets his outright release. It ain't happening. Going to Minnesota, Detroit or Chicago, not happening. Anywhere else, if not GB, is subject to trade.

GoPackGo
We should take him back either way. He's on the cover of Madden this year so his consecutive game streak will end and Rodgers will come in to save the day anyways.

Fosco33

He has played better in domes as of late... and clearly he's played better in GB up until about November for the last few years.

Where's all this global warming that is supposed to make GB feel like LA? Then he'd be good to go :lol:

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Now the Packers may decide not to screw with him. But they could.

Pissing Favre off more probably isn't a good thing. It also would be an extremely poor showing to the rest of the players around the league...i.e. a great way to make Green Bay the "Siberia of the NFL" again.

Sure, Thompson could do it...but it would be unprofessional and childish. Favre has every right to change his mind and want to continue his career.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM
if favre does go to the vikings we will have to ban rastak and mngolf

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I can see TT saying hey, you told us youre out and we drafted 2 more QB's this year and have a 1st rounder ready to go. It's just a real fucked up situation. Brett never should have made that retirement announcement until he was ready, but then again, maybe he was asked to before the draft. If TT wanted him back, I think that announcement would have been made already. What WE don't see is what TT, MM et al see in ARod. They obviously think he can produce week one and take this very good team deep into the playoffs.

Very very troubling anyway it goes down at this point.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
That is huge potential leverage, but even Favre's critics would be up in arms over stashing him on the bench. And he couldn't be quiet on this count either. I'm not convinced T2 and M3 would use it.

Thompson wouldn't have just the Harrell draft pick booing to deal with, he's be the number one sports target along with McCarthy for all of August. It could be done, but the firestorm would be huge.

If Thompson pulled that off, he would be in a different ballpark reputation wise.

The Packers could also just activate him, sit on this and make Brett stew. Then they could let the league know that anyone contacting Brett, or Bus about Brett playing for them would be considered tampering - a major no no to players under contract. Let him pout on the end of the bench until the end of training camp, and then release him before you have to start writing the big checks. It'd be a little late for teams to work him into their offense by that point.

Those of you saying the Packers have no leverage aren't thinking through all the possible scenarios. Now the Packers may decide not to screw with him. But they could.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
ted thompson has to be very careful - he's done an excellent job managing the team to this point, but his entire legacy could be tarnished over this situation

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM
DOn't think for a moment that Brett, if this true, gets his outright release. It ain't happening.

I think you're probably right, but I'm not certain. The Packers could decide the PR is more important than the picks. Or that Brett earned this, in addition to the millions that we paid him. That's what makes the situation so interesting. It's a little unpredictable.

Rastak
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM

A legitimate question.

Fortunately for you, I highly doubt that will happen.

Zool
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM

A legitimate question.

He didnt word it in question form.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM
DOn't think for a moment that Brett, if this true, gets his outright release. It ain't happening.

I think you're probably right, but I'm not certain. The Packers could decide the PR is more important than the picks. Or that Brett earned this, in addition to the millions that we paid him. That's what makes the situation so interesting. It's a little unpredictable.I think TT values his life, which means threats on his life will be made if Brett is simply released, more than PR

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I think TT values his life, which means threats on his life will be made if Brett is simply released, more than PR

I think there would be plenty of cheers mixed in with boos if Ted did that.

HowardRoark
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Straight up……Favre for Jared Allen. Then watch Allen chase him all over.

Meet the new drunk, same as the old drunk. We won't get fooled again.

falco

A legitimate question.

i would miss rastak, but it would be a necessary evil

HOWEVER, rastak may be so used to rooting against favre he would have to convert to a packer fan

cpk1994
I think TT values his life, which means threats on his life will be made if Brett is simply released, more than PR

I think there would be plenty of cheers mixed in with boos if Ted did that.But those cheers won't last long if that menas Brett ends up in Minnesota.

falco
do you think that TT's hesitancy to bring back Favre now is based on the possibility that this shit could reoccur year after year, and he has to nip it in the bud now

Fosco33
ted thompson has to be very careful - he's done an excellent job managing the team to this point, but his entire legacy could be tarnished over this situation

He needs a huge reversal to make this happen already...

Why is he treating ARod like he deserves a shot? ARod deserves nothing - and Favre has earned A LOT more (maybe an unconditional release).

Why is he treating Favre like he flopped last year -- he had a near MVP season?

I guess the only way this would've ended well is if TT sat down with Brett in Feb/March and really made sure that by June Favre would need a decision. I don't envy TT's situation - but would've done it much differently.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
but his entire legacy could be tarnished over this situation

I think his entire legacy will come down to this situation.

If he screws up here, his career in Green Bay won't last long. If he decides to throw Favre to the curb and Rodgers doesn't pan out, Thompson might be out of the NFL before Favre is.

falco

He needs a huge reversal to make this happen already...

Why is he treating ARod like he deserves a shot? ARod deserves nothing - and Favre has earned A LOT more (maybe an unconditional release).

I guess the only way this would've ended well is if TT sat down with Brett in Feb/March and really made sure that by June Favre would need a decision. I don't envy TT's situation - but would've done it much differently.

its hard to imagine turning your back on your pro-bowl QB who was #2 in the MVP voting last year

Scott Campbell

A legitimate question.

Our bond with Ras goes way beyond this silly Favre stuff. We love him.

Ok, I'm kidding. His ass is toast if this goes down.

The Leaper
Why is he treating ARod like he deserves a shot? ARod deserves nothing

DING DING DING

FUCKING DING!

Rastak

A legitimate question.

Oh, didn't notice that. I still think I'm safe.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM

If he screws up here, his career in Green Bay won't last long. If he decides to throw Favre to the curb and Rodgers doesn't pan out, Thompson might be out of the NFL before Favre is.

hopefully he is right on this one like he was on ahman green - the stakes are much higher

i'm honestly hoping something MM and TT are seeing in rodgers is driving this entire situation, and not TT's desire to get his QB on the field

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:42 PM

I don't think he is. I think he's treating Favre like the guy who said he didn't have it anymore in March.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Yes.

do you think that TT's hesitancy to bring back Favre now is based on the possibility that this shit could reoccur year after year, and he has to nip it in the bud now

Zool
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM

A legitimate question.

Oh, didn't notice that. I still think I'm safe.

Fine then, I'll just come watch a fan of another team go through the Favre rollercoaster ride. He's a maddening SOB to watch play QB. I'm gonna miss the retard.

Freak Out
07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
This is just crazy...bring him back, he and Rodgers can compete. When #4 kicks his ass and wins the job he will have no reason to bitch. If Rodgers pouts and will not sign an extension fuck him. Favre, Rodgers and Brohm. Let the Tiger go or trade him.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
i'm confused about the whole situation, but whats clear here is that TT is at a huge crossroads

if he brings back favre, we don't win the superbowl or at least have another stellar season, and rodgers ends up disgruntled and leaves (and performs well elsewhere), hes screwed

if he doesn't bring back favre, favre goes somewhere else and does well OR rodgers gets hurt / sucks / never pans out, he's screwed

i won't judge his decision on this either way until we see how this year (any maybe the next few) pan out

Scott Campbell

Give the guy credit for being bold. Keeping Brett is the safer move, and would placate the majority of Packer nation. It's definitely the path of least resistance.

The Leaper
I don't think he is. I think he's treating Favre like the guy who said he didn't have it anymore in March.

Strahan said the same thing last year, then returned and won a ring.

How a player feels in March is 100% meaningless.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Give the guy credit for being bold. Keeping Brett is the safer move, and would placate the majority of Packer nation. It's definitely the path of least resistance.

agreed - for those who chastize thompson for not taking risks, he is certainly taking one here (although either option has inherent risks)

falco
i should be a politician i'm doing a good job straddling the fence here

cpk1994

Give the guy credit for being bold. Keeping Brett is the safer move, and would placate the majority of Packer nation. It's definitely the path of least resistance.I'm on record as saying TT should be fired if Brett ends up Minnesota, Detriot, or Chicago.

The Leaper

He doesn't get paid to be bold. He gets paid to assemble the best roster and compete for the NFL title.

I can't see how denying Favre's return helps either of those job responsibilities.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Favre has seen the writing on the wall for the last few years from TT. I'm under the assumption that Favre was pushed into calling the retirement b/c of the draft and TT could've done a shit ton more to try and get BF to come back - instead he sat on his hands and let the :shtf:

How many teams in this situation wouldn't want to do everything possible to convince Favre to play again?

Tyrone Bigguns

What other team is going to want that drama? Are you kidding me? Besides, that other team would then trade Favre to wherever he wants to go...because they don't care about what happens if he goes to Minnesota.

I'm sorry, but Thompson is only going to be able to trade Favre to a place that Favre wants to go...and after being told that he is worth less to the organization than a guy with zero starts at QB, I'm guessing Favre will want to go somewhere that Thompson wouldn't like him to go.

Leaper, you couldn't be more wrong.

What drama? Either he reports and plays football...or he sits on his snapper and does nothing. Brett isn't in control

If Brett reports and then that team trades him...maybe...i don't know if that is legal, but that is the only way Brett goes where he wants.

Scott Campbell

Strahan said the same thing last year, then returned and won a ring.

How a player feels in March is 100% meaningless.

And Strahan and the Giants were estranged well in to training camp, and still worked things out.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 03:49 PM
its hard to imagine turning your back on your pro-bowl QB who was #2 in the MVP voting last year

Kind of misleading. Brady got all but 1 vote. If there was an MVP vote like other sports, Brady would have won and Moss would have finished second--although I get your point.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:50 PM
according to the report,

"Thompson and McCarthy were not receptive or enthused about Favre returning to the team. This led to Favre asking Cook to seek his release from the Packers."

I wonder how MM feels - is he supporting the company line, or does he also feel rodgers is ready to start

pbmax
Think of it this way. Favre can't move laterally like he could earlier in his career, when for a time he was thought to be more accurate on the move than in the pocket.

He clearly doesn't play as well in near zero temps and wind as he used to. Think of the difference between Chicago and New York this year and the NFC Championship game in '96.

What will he lose next? He has a streak of playing poorly in the playoffs in his later years. Last year the team around him could not be used as an excuse as they passed well even when they couldn't run early in the season. If Favre's age is a part of this decline, do you think it will get temporarily better?

What would Holmgren think about an offseason regimen of throwing to High School WRs? When LEvens was working out with Olympic track athletes, Holmgren scoffed and said the only way it could compare is if at the end of the sprint the coach hit him with a baseball bat.

Does Favre sound 100% committed to you at this point? Its JULY and he just decided to publicly announce his intention to play. How long do we buy what he is selling?

Scott Campbell
How many teams in this situation wouldn't want to do everything possible to convince Favre to play again?

All those looking to avoid divas in their locker rooms. He was under contract. He knew he was welcome if he wanted to play. Brett said he was done. And nobody was holding a gun to his head.

falco

Kind of misleading. Brady got all but 1 vote. If there was an MVP vote like other sports, Brady would have won and Moss would have finished second--although I get your point.

i just said i should be a politician - you proved my point

I forgot the numbers - i actually pulled that line from another article. thanks for the correction.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Favre has seen the writing on the wall for the last few years from TT. I'm under the assumption that Favre was pushed into calling the retirement b/c of the draft and TT could've done a shit ton more to try and get BF to come back - instead he sat on his hands and let the :shtf:

How many teams in this situation wouldn't want to do everything possible to convince Favre to play again?Again Brett retired before the draft, so unless Brett was psychic, you are dead wrong on that one. Also, both M3 and TT wernt down to Mississippi to convice him earlier this year. You are dead wrong on all accounts. Brett should not be coddled. That is pure BS.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Why should a professional franchise have to convince someone to return to an NFC Championship qualifying team and for $12 million?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
How long do we buy what he is selling?

I really don't know. Its hard to bet against the guy. But it was hard to bet against Ahman Green too.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Everyone is focused on the wrong thing.

we should be thinking about how the goddam evil leftist media got to brett and made him send that letter.

If they can get to brett...are any of us safe?

I say we make a daring raid on bretts ranch...like the columbian military. Who is with me?

http://recollectionbooks.com/bleed/images/BB/belushi.jpg

falco
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
its hard to believe these rumors though - i'm waiting until i see something on packers.com

Rastak

Harv, you and I have shared a barley pop or two. We're practically pals.
(by the way, where the hell is superfan)

What's your honest take? You in favor of Favre for one more year or Rodgers?

This is still kind of a non-story until someone says something on record. Just curious what your take is.

HarveyWallbangers
Having him come back and then trading him isn't necessarily a bad thing--provided we can pick where he goes. If we trade him, we'll get something for nothing. I just hope he doesn't go to Chicago or Minnesota. That's it. Otherwise, I'll enjoy watching him play.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 03:56 PM
But it was hard to bet against Ahman Green too.

No it wasn't. Ahman Green did absolutely nothing the year before he left Green Bay. He was clearly a shell of himself.

Favre carried the team for half the season last year before the running game got traction. He carried the team with leadership through their first playoff game when Grant put us in a 14-0 hole. The guy is still one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL.

Why the hell do you let one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL just walk away?

pbmax
07-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe from another angle. If an NFC Championship caliber team and a $12 million contract isn't enough, just what do you think Brett Favre needed in order to be convinced to play in March?

Partial
07-11-2008, 03:57 PM
according to the report,

"Thompson and McCarthy were not receptive or enthused about Favre returning to the team. This led to Favre asking Cook to seek his release from the Packers."

I wonder how MM feels - is he supporting the company line, or does he also feel rodgers is ready to start

Of course he is. He'd kill for Favre because Coach's have to work on a game by game level. He can't worry about next year until then because if he is thinking ahead and has a bad year odds are he won't be here then.

falco
Maybe from another angle. If an NFC Championship caliber team and a $12 million contract isn't enough, just what do you think Brett Favre needed in order to be convinced to play in March?

seems like all he needed was more time

HarveyWallbangers
Harv, you and I have shared a barley pop or two. We're practically pals.
(by the way, where the hell is superfan)

This is still kind of a non-story until someone says something on record. Just curious what your take is.

I decided awhile back not to think too much about any of this. Big waste of time. Honestly, I think he should stay retired. If he comes back for one more year, I'd be cool with that. If he goes elsewhere, I'm cool as long as he doesn't go to Chicago or Minnesota.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM

No it wasn't. Ahman Green did absolutely nothing the year before he left Green Bay. He was clearly a shell of himself.

Favre carried the team for half the season last year before the running game got traction. He carried the team with leadership through their first playoff game when Grant put us in a 14-0 hole. The guy is still one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL.

Why the hell do you let one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL just walk away?Who says they are letting him walk away? All they have to do is put him on the active roster. THey don't have to release him. Your hatred of TT really kills your brain.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM

I think Favre was exhausted. Nothing would have convinced him.

He needed time to rest and relax before he could adequately determine his level of commitment.

falco
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
another point - i don't think this would be nearly as big of a deal after a 4-12 season... its more frustrating since we have such a good chance of repeating last years success

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm no Harv, but I'd play Favre for another year. But I'd kick him in the balls for all this nonsense.

Then again, I don't have the benefit of having watched Rodgers progression in practice the last 3 years.

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:00 PM
This is ridiculous. I know TT is on vacation, but come on! We, the fans, deserve a press conference in order to know what's going on. This is a big deal to Packer nation. Bring Brett back!

The Leaper
Who says they are letting him walk away? All they have to do is put him on the active roster. THey don't have to release him. Your hatred of TT really kills your brain.

It is clearly evident that Favre wants to play, but Thompson and the Packers don't want him.

I like Thompson. I just think he's 100% wrong in his blantant effort to shove Favre out the door.

Scott Campbell

I think Favre was exhausted. Nothing would have convinced him.

He needed time to rest and relax before he could adequately determine his level of commitment.

Ok Brett, then don't say anything. He didn't have to retire just because he wasn't ready to decide.

falco
wow, I guess packers.com is reporting the story

Statement From The Green Bay Packers Organization

posted 07/11/2008

The Green Bay Packers are aware of the latest developments regarding Brett Favre.

Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms. We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.

Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement.

The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.

As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions.

Brett and Deanna will always be a part of the Packers family.

Fosco33

How many teams in this situation wouldn't want to do everything possible to convince Favre to play again?Again Brett retired before the draft, so unless Brett was psychic, you are dead wrong on that one. Also, both M3 and TT wernt down to Mississippi to convice him earlier this year. You are dead wrong on all accounts. Brett should not be coddled. That is pure BS.

Why wouldn't TT want a decision before the draft? It was never publicly said but there were rumors of a 'timeline' by TT. Brett being an extremly emotional guy and generally wanting to 'do the right thing' retired... but said 'I know I can play, etc, etc.' - if TT wanted him back it could've happened.

Why coddle ARod along this process? How many Packer back-ups have went on to great success (Hasselbeck, Brunel, etc, etc.)? If they're worried about locker room drama, trade ARod and bring along Brohm.

And the time is now - all the previous stuff can't be reversed.

Brett wants to come back and Packer management has turned their back. Simple as that.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Nicely done Packers. Ball back in Brett's court.

Rastak
07-11-2008, 04:02 PM

I'm no Harv, but I'd play Favre for another year. But I'd kick him in the balls for all this nonsense.

Then again, I don't have the benefit of having watched Rodgers progression in practice the last 3 years.

I'd have a barley pop with you too Scott but we'd have to find a nearby state if I headed west.

cpk1994
Who says they are letting him walk away? All they have to do is put him on the active roster. THey don't have to release him. Your hatred of TT really kills your brain.

It is clearly evident that Favre wants to play, but Thompson and the Packers don't want him.

I like Thompson. I just think he's 100% wrong in his blantant effort to shove Favre out the door.Again there is no evidence as BRett and TT are both not on the record saying any of that. Thats pure BS speculation on your part.

Packers4Ever

Paco, those of us who love Favre for all he is, have
not turned our backs on him. Thompson did, let
him suffer the consequences now =

Patriots vs Pack in the SB, Pack takes it, 35-0.

DonHutson
Dear Brett,

Thank you for getting off your ass and telling us what's on your mind.

Unconditional release you say? There are only two acceptable responses to that, A) No or B) Fuck no. But we'll start the negotiations there if you want.

There's no reason why a trade can't be "amicable." Give the Packers the list of teams you'll play for and Ted will get what he can as soon as he can. You don't want to wait around for that? Well maybe you should've spoken up sooner.

Thanks for the memories Brett. Thanks for a Super Bowl win and for sticking around in Green Bay for one last record breaking season. I hoped you would be one of the rare athletes that left too soon to spare us all the vision of a broken down #4 hobbling off the field. But you can count the number of guys that didn't get dragged off the field kicking and screaming on one hand, so I guess that was a lot to hope for.

Apparently the only thing that will end this is an injury or a catastrophically bad season, and I'm kind of glad you'll go through that somewhere else. That would be hard to watch in too much detail.

Best of luck.

Brando19

posted 07/11/2008

The Green Bay Packers are aware of the latest developments regarding Brett Favre.

Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms. We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.

Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement.

The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.

As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions.

Hmm..doesn't mention his demand for a release, but hints that they'll grant it. Anyone else think that?

falco
07-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Hmm..doesn't mention his demand for a release, but hints that they'll grant it. Anyone else think that?

i see it differently there - i think it is leaving the door open for his return

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:03 PM

i love you :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:04 PM

posted 07/11/2008

Nope. Not at all. It says he'll become a member of the Green Bay Packers, and they'll do what's in the best interests of the team.

They've left all options open.

Rastak

posted 07/11/2008

No, I don't see that but it is a confirmation that this stuff is happening. And shows Tex lives in a fucking world of his own.

pbmax
2006 Ahman, 266 carries, 1059 yards, 5 TDs and 2 fumbles lost on a team with a makeshift O line. Oh, and he had 46 catches for 373 and 1 more TD.

And Brett had help in the first half from the guy who fumbled twice. Grant had two TDs and a couple big runs while the Packers were running up their first 28 points on the Seaturkeys.

Why the hell do you let one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL just walk away?

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM

i see it differently there - i think it is leaving the door open for his returnACtually, thats responding to the situation without saying one word in either direction.

falco
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
pbmax you need to update your sig if there is any room left

HarveyWallbangers

Umm... no.

Scott Campbell

The only thing that doesn't jive with that is, why make Brett go through all of this if they really wanted him back?

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
There is room for a return...but not to play with Green Bay. As the statement points out, the Packers committed themselves to life after Favre when he retired.

If he returns, he will be traded or released...based on what is best for the Green Bay Packers.

cpk1994

The only thing that doesn't jive with that is, why make Brett go through all of this if they really wanted him back?Becuase Brett hasn't asked for reinstatement yet?

Fosco33

I like Thompson. I just think he's 100% wrong in his blantant effort to shove Favre out the door.Again there is no evidence as BRett and TT are both not on the record saying any of that. Thats pure BS speculation on your part.

So you don't like Favre - that's fine. But do you think Favre or Rodgers gives the team a better shot to win? We've got about 16 years of evidence for Brett and one 'successful' half for Rodgers and multiple injuries. True - Brett doesn't play well in the cold... so why not say, "Ok, Brett - come back for ONE more - but you will be easily benched for shitty play come cold weather. And Rodgers, sorry dude, you got to ride some pine and get your shot when it counts."

falco
whats to prevent a team brokering a trade to minnesota in exchange for draft picks (or a swap in draft picks)

pbmax
Then why didn't he ask for it? That, among all other demands, would have been easier to grant.

seems like all he needed was more time

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:08 PM
There is room for a return...but not to play with Green Bay. As the statement points out, the Packers committed themselves to life after Favre when he retired.

If he returns, he will be traded or released...based on what is best for the Green Bay Packers.

This is what I'm thinking, although i like Falco's response better....i guess i can only dream.

DannoMac21
07-11-2008, 04:08 PM
It baffles me that some fans want him back. Unbelievable.

The Leaper
07-11-2008, 04:09 PM
And Brett had help in the first half from the guy who fumbled twice. Grant had two TDs and a couple big runs while the Packers were running up their first 28 points on the Seaturkeys.

Grant did nothing in the first TD drive, where Favre willed the team back into the game on the strength of his arm. Without that drive, I'm not sure we see the monster day for Grant.

Brando19

why?

sheepshead

Nawwww, it leaves the door open I think. They put up some CYA regarding the last 6 months. I'm not so sure anythings off the table at this point from this statement alone.

Scott Campbell
whats to prevent a team brokering a trade to minnesota in exchange for draft picks (or a swap in draft picks)

Tampering rules for one thing.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
We're close to the end. Might need to put it in shorthand.

pbmax you need to update your sig if there is any room left

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:11 PM

The only thing that doesn't jive with that is, why make Brett go through all of this if they really wanted him back?Becuase Brett hasn't asked for reinstatement yet?

Ok. Possibly. A little unlikely, but possible. The Packers could be thinking "lets make sure he really wants to play".

Rastak

Plus, something tells me they aren't interested...although they probably should be.

Fosco33

If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

cryptic statement... does that mean trade?

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:12 PM

So you don't like Favre - that's fine. But do you think Favre or Rodgers gives the team a better shot to win? We've got about 16 years of evidence for Brett and one 'successful' half for Rodgers and multiple injuries. True - Brett doesn't play well in the cold... so why not say, "Ok, Brett - come back for ONE more - but you will be easily benched for shitty play come cold weather. And Rodgers, sorry dude, you got to ride some pine and get your shot when it counts."This isn't about my opinion of Favre. This is about you accusing TT of pushing Brett out the door when you don't have a shred of evidence to back it up. You don't know and I know what is on TT's mind. That much IS a fact.

DonHutson
It says he would be reinstated as an active member of the Packers if he wants to un-retire. That tells me he won't simply be released.

It also says they will do what's in the best interest of the Packers. To me that implies trying to get some compensation.

This doesn't have to be an ugly situation. Favre can give the Packers a list of teams he would agree to play for and Ted can make the best deal he can with one of them.

Scott Campbell

Nawwww, it leaves the door open I think. They put up some CYA regarding the last 6 months. I'm not so sure anythings off the table at this point from this statement alone.

I think you're right. Why would the Packers take anything off the table at this point?

Brando19

Plus, something tells me they aren't interested...although they probably should be.

Who's not interested? Minnesota?

pbmax
I think it reads neutral for the public's consumption, but with the reference to do what best for the Packers, clearly that is a "not just yet" to the unconditional release.

This is what I'm thinking, although i like Falco's response better....i guess i can only dream.

sheepshead
Darrell Bevel

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
It says he would be reinstated as an active member of the Packers if he wants to un-retire. That tells me he won't simply be released.

It also says they will do what's in the best interest of the Packers. To me that implies trying to get some compensation.

Probably. But the Packers might decide its in their best interests to give into public out crys and release him. I don't think that would happen, but it's possible.

Partial

Yes, I cannot understand why ANYONE would want the 3rd best player overall in the league on their team. Fools!

pbmax
To us it means they will do what they can to improve to team. To Favre and Cook, it means no unconditional release, at least not yet.

If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

cryptic statement... does that mean trade?

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Pack want Favre as backup?
A Brett Favre comeback plan? Looks more like a backup plan.
The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

At this point, Green Bay would trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Aaron Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Packers-won't-release-Favre

Rastak
07-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Yes, that's my initial take.

GoPackGo
07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Dear Brett,

Thank you for getting off your ass and telling us what's on your mind.

Unconditional release you say? There are only two acceptable responses to that, A) No or B) Fuck no. But we'll start the negotiations there if you want.

good post Don

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Tampering rules for one thing.not to mention probable collusion.

Brando19

No disrespect to you at all, Ras....but WTF? The Vikings would piss their pants if they had a shot at Favre!

Packers4Ever

I doubt if Thompson would even show up that night, Leaper,

he'll be too busy fleeing town, LOLOL !!

pbmax
Someone tell Bretsky that Odell Thurman is wanted by the police again. Only after he laughs at himself for rooting for an Odell Packer draft pick can you tell him about Favre. He deserves to go out remembering how to laugh.

]{ilr]3

I just cannot see the Vikings taking on anouther potential Hershal Walker deal. I think Farve things way to highly of himself to think he is going to plug himself in anywhere and be successful! Its not just that he had to learn the system (West coast offense or not) its that the rest of the team has to as well. I forsee him getting a very rude awakening playing somewhere else! Especially when the fans there turn on him, something he has never really had to deal with.

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Player Team DYAR Rk YAR Rk DVOA Rk VOA Passes Yards True
Yards TD FK FL INT C%
12-T.Brady NE 2,788 1 2,698 1 56.9% 1 54.7% 606 4,760 6,428 50 1 3 8 68.9%
18-P.Manning IND 1,841 2 1,679 2 40.6% 2 36.0% 542 4,033 5,008 31 4 1 13 65.4%
4-B.Favre GB 1,438 3 1,457 3 28.0% 5 28.5% 556 4,151 4,703 28 6 1 14 66.9%
9-T.Romo DAL 1,297 4 1,349 4 25.5% 6 27.0% 551 4,173 4,439 36 8 1 19 64.6%
9-D.Brees NO 1,285 5 1,193 6 17.0% 12 14.9% 673 4,362 5,355 28 4 4 17 67.8%
9-C.Palmer CIN 1,215 6 1,204 5 20.1% 9 19.8% 595 4,075 4,668 26 4 1 19 65.3%
9-D.Garrard JAC 1,086 7 986 8 37.4% 3 32.9% 350 2,442 3,077 18 1 2 3 64.2%
6-J.Cutler DEN 972 8 809 12 19.4% 11 14.2% 501 3,403 3,808 20 5 2 14 64.0%
8-M.Hasselbeck SEA 937 9 1,167 7 12.8% 14 18.6% 599 3,824 4,425 28 2 2 12 63.0%
3-D.Anderson CLE 797 10 888 9 12.3% 15 14.9% 539 3,727 3,824 29 2 2 19 57.5%
7-B.Roethlisberger PIT 743 11 850 11 15.5% 13 19.4% 449 2,821 3,218 32 4 3 11 65.9%
13-K.Warner ARI 699 12 878 10 11.3% 16 17.0% 476 3,296 3,471 27 4 5 16 62.9%
7-J.Garcia TB 694 13 746 13 19.5% 10 21.9% 346 2,356 2,699 13 2 1 4 64.9%

pbmax
07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
This is the scenario I don't buy. While I can see why its attractive to fans, Favre isn't going to sit quietly. Montana hated Young when Young was just the heir apparent. Can you imagine the two of them if Young had passed him over?

I find it difficult to believe this scenario possible. Though Favre could start by week 3 easily after Rodgers fractures a femur getting his mail.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

arcilite
07-11-2008, 04:20 PM

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

At this point, Green Bay would trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Aaron Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.

this story needs to be read by everyone

Rastak
07-11-2008, 04:20 PM

No disrespect to you at all, Ras....but WTF? The Vikings would piss their pants if they had a shot at Favre!

No disrespect to you but I don't think they would.

I think I'd make that move though.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM

this story needs to be read by everyoneEspecially Leaper.

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah...that foxsports story i just posted....WOW. Favre was going to come back in late march then changed his mind...fuck! What is with that man! He is playing us!

pbmax
07-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I am guessing it wasn't Favre or Cook that leaked this tidbit:

AtlPackFan
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Rastak, why don't you think the Vikings would do the deal???

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
No disrespect to you but

I just did a search, and this is the first time in three years that these words have ever been written in this forum.

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:27 PM
No disrespect to you but

I just did a search, and this is the first time in three years that these words have ever been written in this forum.

:) I respect the man. He's smart and has great input...but I didn't agree with him on that post. I'm glad I was the first. Do I win a Pro Shop gift card?

pbmax
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Brando, you should put the fox sports article in its own thread so everyone sees it. That's a pretty big addition to the story.

No disrespect to you but

:) I respect the man. He's smart and has great input...but I didn't agree with him on that post. I'm glad I was the first. Do I win a Pro Shop gift card?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
This is the scenario I don't buy. While I can see why its attractive to fans, Favre isn't going to sit quietly. Montana hated Young when Young was just the heir apparent. Can you imagine the two of them if Young had passed him over?

I find it difficult to believe this scenario possible. Though Favre could start by week 3 easily after Rodgers fractures a femur getting his mail.

Well, we'd have the best backup in the league. Here's another scenario where the Packers have leverage.

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 04:29 PM

geeez, I really doubt it. TT has done NOTHING to harm Favre.

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Brando, you should put the fox sports article in its own thread so everyone sees it. That's a pretty big addition to the story.

No disrespect to you but

Good idea. Done.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:31 PM

geeez, I really doubt it. TT has done NOTHING to harm Favre.Leaper is just spewing his anti-TT garbage. Funny how the article showing TT did want Brett back comes out and he is nowhere to be found.

Rastak
07-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Rastak, why don't you think the Vikings would do the deal???

I think Chilly is sold on Jackson. Everything I've heard indicates he looks far better than this time last year. Then again, the sources I read all have reasons to say this so who knows. I just think they are set with the guys they have. If Favre were free they might want to do a one year thing but I doubt Green Bay just cuts him.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
As a backup, he could play longer than Blanda and set all the point records if he learned how to drop kick FGs and PATs. So that means Special Teams Assistants Doug Flutie and Jim McMahon.

Well, we'd have the best backup in the league. Here's another scenario where the Packers have leverage.

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 04:32 PM

What about the heart breaking, gut-wrenching retirement only 3 or 4 months ago?

We're breaking and wrenching all over again?

I have no problem with Favre's emotional roller coaster. In fact, I sorta like his passion and sincerity. But just because the rest of the world doesn't follow along the journey is no reason to criticize the rest of the world.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
You don't know and I know what is on TT's mind. That much IS a fact.

Agree 1000%

DonHutson
07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
The Packers do not want Favre as a backup. That's a polite way of saying he will be on the roster until he agrees to a trade.

VegasPackFan
07-11-2008, 04:37 PM
If the Foxsports story is true, and Favre jerked them around like that in March, I have to say the team management is correct in moving forward without him.

I am a huge Favre fan, but that is just wrong what he did to them in March (if the story is accurate). They were justified at that point in making a decision to stop screwing around and get this team ready with the players that they know they have.

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM

So you don't like Favre - that's fine. But do you think Favre or Rodgers gives the team a better shot to win? We've got about 16 years of evidence for Brett and one 'successful' half for Rodgers and multiple injuries. True - Brett doesn't play well in the cold... so why not say, "Ok, Brett - come back for ONE more - but you will be easily benched for shitty play come cold weather. And Rodgers, sorry dude, you got to ride some pine and get your shot when it counts."This isn't about my opinion of Favre. This is about you accusing TT of pushing Brett out the door when you don't have a shred of evidence to back it up. You don't know and I know what is on TT's mind. That much IS a fact.

CP - I stand corrected. If Brett really was going to unretire (as foxsports article said) and pulled the string again - it's on him and not TT.

Guess we'll never really know - but at this point, TT could reinstate him and let M3 make the call.

go packers!

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
There's no reason why a trade can't be "amicable." Give the Packers the list of teams you'll play for and Ted will get what he can as soon as he can. .

I would not give Favre this choice. The Packers are under no obligation to trade him to a winning team. Sure, perhaps try to accomodate him, but this is business.

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
The Packers do not want Favre as a backup. That's a polite way of saying he will be on the roster until he agrees to a trade.

If he doesn't agree to the trade he can retire.

Partial
07-11-2008, 04:42 PM
This is the kind of disrespect that will turn GB into Siberia. Bad PR move, even if Favre did yank them around in March.

Zool
07-11-2008, 04:43 PM
This is the kind of disrespect that will turn GB into Siberia. Bad PR move, even if Favre did yank them around in March.

Which year was that?

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:43 PM

Which year was that?

:lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 04:44 PM

good lord. I doubt there are few if any players around the league that don't understand the business. Favre quit and the team moved on. Its only the GB fans who are upset.

HarveyWallbangers

Give me a break. 20 years of losing turned Green Bay into Siberia. Favre jerked the team around. They'll do what's best for the team. Likely, they'll trade him to a team that they are okay with him playing for.

Partial

Which year was that?

Doesn't matter. Favre made the Packers what they are, and them crossing him will revert them into the 80s version.

sheepshead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:45 PM

CP - I stand corrected. If Brett really was going to unretire (as foxsports article said) and pulled the string again - it's on him and not TT.

Guess we'll never really know - but at this point, TT could reinstate him and let M3 make the call.

go packers!No we don't. It just gets me riled up when people (mostly Leaper)accept these articles a 100% fact and throw out accusations. None of us know what TT, M3 or Brett are really thinking.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Which year was that?

Doesn't matter. Favre made the Packers what they are, and them crossing him will revert them into the 80s version.

Voodoo Packernomics.

DonHutson
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
There's no reason why a trade can't be "amicable." Give the Packers the list of teams you'll play for and Ted will get what he can as soon as he can. .

I would not give Favre this choice. The Packers are under no obligation to trade him to a winning team. Sure, perhaps try to accomodate him, but this is business.

That's certainly an option. But you could argue that the way for the Packers to win the PR battle is to accomodate Favre as much as possible while still getting some compensation out of it.

I would think the only teams interested will be teams that think they are a QB away from competing anyway, and those are likely the teams Favre would want to play for. Carolina, Houston, Baltimore, Tampa. Favre and Ted should find plenty of middle ground there to get things done quickly and effectively.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Which year was that?

Voodoo Packernomics.You just put a vision of Ben Stien in Ferris Bueller's Day Off in my head.

Zool
07-11-2008, 04:49 PM

Which year was that?

So one more year of Brett will change that, or is it your contention that this will turn away every future free agent?

Or possibly your view is skewed because you've never watched another Packer QB, except maybe some Majic?

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
JSO says the Packers won't release Favre and they won't trade him to an NFC North team. Also, "A client of Cook's recently told a friend that Miami and Carolina were the teams that were Favre's most likely landing place".

Wonder what we'll get for him? This could be a win-win situation.

Don't forget the San Francisco 49ers received a player and a first-round pick from the Kansas City Chiefs for Joe Montana and a third-round pick when the legendary quarterback was dealt near the end of his career. Favre has more value now than Montana - who was coming off a back injury -- did then, and the Packers could find themselves receiving interest from a number of teams.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM
That's certainly an option. But you could argue that the way for the Packers to win the PR battle is to accomodate Favre as much as possible while still getting some compensation out of it.

I would think the only teams interested will be teams that think they are a QB away from competing anyway, and those are likely the teams Favre would want to play for. Carolina, Houston, Baltimore, Tampa. Favre and Ted should find plenty of middle ground there to get things done quickly and effectively.

That's what probably should happen if calmer heads prevail. But I don't think we'll see calmer heads for a few days.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
JSO says the Packers won't release Favre and they won't trade him to an NFC North team. Also, "A client of Cook's recently told a friend that Miami and Carolina were the teams that were Favre's most likely landing place".

Don't forget the San Francisco 49ers received a player and a first-round pick from the Kansas City Chiefs for Joe Montana and a third-round pick when the legendary quarterback was dealt near the end of his career. Favre has more value now than Montana - who was coming off a back injury -- did then, and the Packers could find themselves receiving interest from a number of teams.

The Montana example just proved that the Chiefs overpaid. He wasn't worth a first and a third. Neither is Brett.

red
07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
i'm under the impression that TT has been trying to push favre out the door for 2 or 3 years now. since the day he got to GB some of us have been thinking he wants his team. with favre on the tean it will always be favre's packers. without favre it will be TT's packers

i think TT did enough behind the scenes to drive out favre, but favre knows he still has enough left, and still wants to play. he knows TT doesn't want him. so he played this game. either TT goes, or every packer fans worse nightmare comes true. Brett Favre ends his career in another uniform

TT supposedly not responding to text messages or saying that the team has moved on. or just not wanting him back, is clean proof to me that they wanted him gone in the first place

now, if favre does go and play for another team, i don't know how TT could weather the storm that will hit him from millions of very pissed off packer fans.

i hope he doesn't own any pets

Rastak
07-11-2008, 04:54 PM

The Montana example just proved that the Chiefs overpaid. He wasn't worth a first and a third. Neither is Brett.

How old was Montana when he got traded?

Zool
07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
i hope he doesn't own any pets

Does Tank in a gimp outfit chained up in his basement count?

Zool
07-11-2008, 04:56 PM

How old was Montana when he got traded?

37 when the season started.

Partial
07-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Why don't they deal A-Rod for a one?!? You don't deal a legendary quarterback unless you think you have a very, very good player behind him. It could be 100 years before we see another playmaker at quarterback.

A-Rod is not Steve Young.

arcilite
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Why don't they deal A-Rod for a one?!? You don't deal a legendary quarterback unless you think you have a very, very good player behind him. It could be 100 years before we see another playmaker at quarterback.

yeah you do, when he never knows if he wants to play another year, and only has 1-2 years left. Rodgers has 10+ years left

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
TT better not release him! It's pretty clear now that Brett flet unwanted and thats why he retired.

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM
TT better not release him! It's pretty clear now that Brett flet unwanted and thats why he retired.

do some homework

Scott Campbell
.................is clean proof to me that they wanted him gone in the first place

This really isn't proof of anything, and there is far more "proof" on the other side of your arguement, including Brett's own admission that Ted never tried to force him out.

Partial

yeah you do, when he never knows if he wants to play another year, and only has 1-2 years left. Rodgers has 10+ years left

A-Rod hasn't shown to be anything but a dissapointment.

He hasn't been able to stay healthy at all.

He didn't show any promise until last year.

I highly doubt he'll be a ten year starter in the NFL.

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 05:02 PM

Says who? Joe Montana was not Joe Montana till he became Joe Montana.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Well Steve Young wasn't Steve Young either, until after he took over and established himself.

sheepshead
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM

A-Rod hasn't shown to be anything but a dissapointment.

He hasn't been able to stay healthy at all.

He didn't show any promise until last year.

I highly doubt he'll be a ten year starter in the NFL.

This is the stupidest post on here yet-The guy hasnt played any NFL football yet. WTF>?