PDA

View Full Version : Packers want Favre as a backup?

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Pack want Favre as backup?
A Brett Favre comeback plan? Looks more like a backup plan.
The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

At this point, Green Bay would trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Aaron Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Packers-won't-release-Favre

DonHutson
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
No they don't.

Translation: Favre will be on the roster until he agrees to a trade.

pbmax
As they say on the politcal blogs, money quote:

Pack want Favre as backup?

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Aaron Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

cpk1994
Paging Leaper. Your "TT doesn't want Brett" theory just sprung a huge leak.

Partial
Why would the significantly better player be riding the pine? If anything, it'd be A-Rod is the incumbent, but do you really think M3 thinks he is better than Brett? C'mon...

Brando19
07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Imagine how many fans would be hoping Rodgers would get hurt the season opener so Favre could play? They'd probably be throwing rocks at Aaron!

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Imagine how many fans would be hoping Rodgers would get hurt the season opener so Favre could play? They'd probably be throwing rocks at Aaron!As long as they are not throwing their beer.

VegasPackFan
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Rodgers will be injured and unable to play by no later than the third game, and then Favre is the guy again.

There is nothing to prove with Rodgers' history of getting so banged up in only spot duty that he will last even more than one game.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Rodgers will be injured and unable to play by no later than the third game, and then Favre is the guy again.

There is nothing to prove with Rodgers' history of getting so banged up in only spot duty that he will last even more than one game.Because two injuries shows a history of being banged up. That crap is getting old. :roll:

VegasPackFan
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM

There is nothing to prove with Rodgers' history of getting so banged up in only spot duty that he will last even more than one game.Because two injuries shows a history of being banged up. That crap is getting old. :roll:

It not just two injuries. He's batting 1.000 for opportunities/injuries. Every chance he has had to come in and play when the game was still in contention ended up with him being unable to practice or play from then on.

Zool
07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Weird, but I dont remember him getting hurt in the Dallas game. Seems to me it was during practice the week after that he pulled a hammy.

red
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
no way this would happen

we play to win

you don't keep the better qb on the bench

many people would lose their jobs if that happened

Partial
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Weird, but I dont remember him getting hurt in the Dallas game. Seems to me it was during practice the week after that he pulled a hammy.

Try the next practice. Also, how do we know it wasn't during the game and he didn't want to publicize it? Regardless, has he played in a game and been able to play the next week? No.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
no way this would happen

we play to win

you don't keep the better qb on the bench

many people would lose their jobs if that happenedONe guy should lose his job if Brett is outright released.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Try the next practice. Also, how do we know it wasn't during the game and he didn't want to publicize it? Regardless, has he played in a game and been able to play the next week? No.Was he needed in the next game, no.

Partial
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Try the next practice. Also, how do we know it wasn't during the game and he didn't want to publicize it? Regardless, has he played in a game and been able to play the next week? No.Was he needed in the next game, no.

What difference does that make?!?

He has not been able to go consistently. That is the point. If they release or trade Favre the pressure becomes 100000x more intense on A-Rod. I suspect he'll fail miserably.

Zool
07-11-2008, 05:04 PM

Doesnt matter anymore. The wheels are in motion. Favre has made his stand. Doesnt really matter where it goes from here. I'm mainly just poking and prodding to stir the pot.

BTW it was said that if Rodgers had to start the Raiders game he could have. None of that matters when trying to make a point though.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:10 PM

He has not been able to go consistently. That is the point. If they release or trade Favre the pressure becomes 100000x more intense on A-Rod. I suspect he'll fail miserably.Then try this one. If ARod was the srter when he pulled his hammy, how likely would they have deactivated him? Considering they were still in a race for home field? The only reason they did was becuase his being available in the playoffs was more improtant than the remaining regular season games.

LL2
07-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, who knows who is telling the truth, but Favre has wavered so many times I'm inclined to side with the Packers brass. Does Favre actually think that he will be released for nothing?

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, who knows who is telling the truth, but Favre has wavered so many times I'm inclined to side with the Packers brass. Does Favre actually think that he will be released for nothing?Of course not. The letter just a formailty to make himself look good.

Partial
07-11-2008, 05:28 PM

He has not been able to go consistently. That is the point. If they release or trade Favre the pressure becomes 100000x more intense on A-Rod. I suspect he'll fail miserably.Then try this one. If ARod was the srter when he pulled his hammy, how likely would they have deactivated him? Considering they were still in a race for home field? The only reason they did was becuase his being available in the playoffs was more improtant than the remaining regular season games.

Thats inferering a lot. We don't know anything about that.

FritzDontBlitz
07-11-2008, 05:31 PM
This is going to be a very long and painful summer.

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Thats inferering a lot. We don't know anything about that.Well, then you can't say he hasn't been able to go consistently becuase he hasn't been a starter and had to go consistently. Saying he can't is inferring a lot too.

Partial
07-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Thats inferring a lot. We don't know anything about that.Well, then you can't say he hasn't been able to go consistently becuase he hasn't been a starter and had to go consistently. Saying he can't is inferring a lot too.

No, its not inferring anything.

It is a proven fact that he broke his foot in his first extended action. It is also a proven fact that he had a mild tear of a hamstring during or in the first minutes of the following practice after his second limited action.

Those are the facts. How is that inferring at all?

cpk1994
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Thats inferring a lot. We don't know anything about that.Well, then you can't say he hasn't been able to go consistently becuase he hasn't been a starter and had to go consistently. Saying he can't is inferring a lot too.

It is a proven fact that he broke his foot in his first extended action. It is also a proven fact that he had a mild tear of a hamstring during or in the first minutes of the following practice after his second limited action.

Those are the facts. How is that inferring at all?You are inferring he can't go consistantly. You don't know if he can becuase he hasn't been put in that situation yet.

Partial
07-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Those are the facts. How is that inferring at all?You are inferring he can't go consistantly. You don't know if he can becuase he hasn't been put in that situation yet.

When given the opportunity to play, he has gotten hurt. That is a fact, and there is no way to twist it into anything else.

Zool
07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
When given the opportunity to play, he has gotten hurt. That is a fact, and there is no way to twist it into anything else.

Look ya tard, he was hurt in 1 of the 7 games he's gotten into. He got hurt a second time 2 days after playing about a 1/2. Its ok to hate on Thompson and Rodgers all you want, but you cant call people out for making shit up when you do it just as much.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00.htm

Fosco33
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Look ya tard, he was hurt in 1 of the 7 games he's gotten into. He got hurt a second time 2 days after playing about a 1/2. Its ok to hate on Thompson and Rodgers all you want, but you cant call people out for making shit up when you do it just as much.

So should we expect him to get hurt over 2-4 times this year (enough to miss a game).

With Brett you ran a near 0% risk of him missing time... with ARod you run almost a 25% chance that he'll miss a game week-week (including practices).

Hard to overturn a franchise and bank a future on that... heck, look at the Bears and how many QBs they've went through. I think you get a man crush on ARod after he's done something worthwhile.

Partial
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM

Mop-up duty when the hounds are off does not count. He has seen legit action 3 times imo. And he was truly beyond awful against the Ravens.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Favre camp heard from again. Mooch on NFL Network

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/11/mooch-brett-is-getting-ready-to-play

Money quote:
Mariucci said “there’s been a little lack of communication between Favre’s camp and the Packers organization,” and he suggested that Favre hasn’t been happy with a perception that the Packers want to move forward without him.

This is like covering the campaign. Now I want to see the video to watch if Mooch has to explain why Favre backed out of unretiring in March.

PackerTimer
07-11-2008, 07:46 PM
This is another interesting article that mentions some of this FoxSports report: http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/11/why-the-packers-won-t-take-favre-back.aspx#comments

I've officially had it with Favre. He used to be my favorite player but I've had it. I'm not blind to what he's doing here. Most of you probably know my stance on this. I have not been behind Favre since this first came out. I've never once, not for the three years of hints and not now, believed Thompson was forcing Favre out. Brett had every chance to play this year and he quit. Now he wants to cry about it and send his family around whining about his treatment. He's a fucking joke. It's pathetic.

The Shadow
07-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I just wish he would simply put on his Big Boy panties, take responsibility for his actions, and stay home straddling his lawnmower.

Lurker64
07-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd take Favre as a backup. He quit on this team in March, I have no guarantees he won't quit on this team in November. That's unacceptable for a starter, but tolerable for a backup.

Really, this whole saga has caused me to lose a lot of respect for Favre. There's a lot of polarizing things I could say, but I have to say I'm very disappointed in him and leave it at that.

DonHutson
07-12-2008, 01:17 PM
The Packers don't want him as a backup. But they can't just come out and say "we're going to hold Brett hostage until he agrees to a trade" either.

So they're spinning the backup story as a reason to keep him on the roster knowing damn well Favre would never agree to that.

motife
07-12-2008, 01:19 PM
$12 (twelve) million dollar a year backup..

right.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 01:34 PM

ever stand between two mirrors and look into infinity?

BallHawk
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Now, I side with TT for the most part on his handling of the situation, but to say it in this way is insulting to Favre, IMO. Favre is a legend and to say "you can be a backup" is a bit childish. Favre put himself in this situation, but TT needs to show some more respect. He's been brickwalling Brett this whole time and I think Brett has earned the right to be treated better than this.

imscott72
07-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Favre will never make the team as the backup. You just can't do that to Rodgers. Like he wouldn't know all the fans would be rooting for him to go down. It just brings too much controversy to the team. He'll get traded.

DonHutson
07-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Now, I side with TT for the most part on his handling of the situation, but to say it in this way is insulting to Favre, IMO. Favre is a legend and to say "you can be a backup" is a bit childish. Favre put himself in this situation, but TT needs to show some more respect. He's been brickwalling Brett this whole time and I think Brett has earned the right to be treated better than this.

It is transparent and a bit silly, I agree. They could just as easily find a polite way to say that Favre will be held on the active roster until a solution can be found that is suitable to all parties involved.

Ted's doing all the right things, but he could be handling the PR aspect better, in my opinion.