PDA

View Full Version : Hey, why not another thread with a writer's take?

Cheesehead Craig
07-11-2008, 09:00 PM
This is from Clark Judge over at CBSSports.com. Frankly, I think it's a very good article.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10894885

Buckle up, Green Bay fans. Your team is about to suffer its first loss.

No matter what happens with the Brett Favre situation, the Packers are goners. They have as much chance of winning this public-relations nightmare with Favre as the San Diego Padres do of reaching the World Series.

I don't care what you think of Favre playing again. There is no denying he's put the Packers in an unwinnable position.

Trust me. I've seen it before, and so have you. San Francisco wanted to "move forward with (its) football team", as the Packers put it Friday, in 1993 when they made a commitment to backup quarterback Steve Young.

The message was clear: The 49ers thought they had a better chance with the younger quarterback than they did with Joe Montana, and when they communicated that to Joe, he demanded a change of scenery.

So the 49ers did the unthinkable and traded him to Kansas City, and while he was successful there, he never again played in a Super Bowl. Young, of course, did, breaking Montana's record for touchdown passes in Super Bowl XXIX as the 49ers destroyed San Diego.

Nevertheless, there were -- and are -- 49ers' fans who never forgave the club for letting Joe go and believed then as they do now that the 49ers made a mistake.

What they forget is that San Francisco had no choice. The 49ers knew what they had to do, and they did it. And if Montana wasn't on board with the program, then he would have to play somewhere else.

So he was traded, the club was criticized and Young led the 49ers to another Super Bowl.

I'm reminded of that when I hear about Favre demanding his outright release from Green Bay, a move that will put the Packers in another can't-win situation. Favre sees what Montana did 15 years ago -- that he must sit behind a younger quarterback -- and he's not happy.

I understand that. But at some time you have to "move forward," and the Packers have. So did Dallas when it said goodbye to Troy Aikman in 2001, and so did the 49ers when they put Young on notice in 2000 that he was finished in Santa Clara.

Rodgers must have his opportunity, and the Packers rightly will give it to him. When they spent a first-round pick on Rodgers in the 2005 draft the expectation was that he was the quarterback of the future. The only question was: When would that future begin?

Well, it's now, people, and Favre knows it. He also knows if he returns to the club he complicates a situation where Rodgers is the expected starter and where Favre might, just might, wind up on the bench.

So he'll allow the Packers to move forward and try to move forward himself by getting his release. And that's where it gets tricky. The club could cut him, as the 49ers could've released Montana, but it doesn't take a genius to understand how foolish that move would be.

First, anyone could sign him, which means he could wind up in the Packers' division. Second, I know of at least two clubs in the NFC North -- Chicago and Minnesota -- that might be interested if he were available, and try selling that to cheeseheads. Third, can you imagine the nightmare if Favre were to join Minnesota and return to Lambeau in the Monday night opener -- but as the quarterback of the Vikings.

That's why the only possible solution here is to trade the guy. I don't care what the Packers get in return, but they can't allow Brett Favre to sign with anyone in the division, and I'm not sure they can allow him to sign with anyone in the NFC.

If I'm the Packers, I hope Favre reconsiders. In fact, I'd pray for it only because there's no way for them to emerge from this looking good. But if he pushes the envelope and forces the team to make a move, then it must do something -- and it must let him go on.

But remember what the Packers said in their prepared statement: They have a "commitment to move forward" with the team. That means they can't sit down Rodgers, and it means they can't allow Favre to show up twice on their schedule.

If he does, in fact, play again, it probably means the Packers become the San Francisco 49ers and make the tough call to trade him for whatever they can get. It turns out the 49ers could get a first-round draft choice for Montana.

I doubt the bidding will be as high for Favre, but you never know unless you try. You have to believe Tampa Bay would be interested partly because Jon Gruden once coached Favre, partly because Favre would be a perfect fit for Gruden's offense -- just as veterans Rich Gannon and Jeff Garcia were -- and mostly because Favre is a helluva quarterback.

Of course, I hope we don't get that far, but watching Montana leave San Francisco convinced me anything's possible. If Favre is determined to play again -- no, if he's determined to start again, which I think he is -- then what is probable is that Green Bay trades him.

It's the team's only choice.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Nevertheless, there were -- and are -- 49ers' fans who never forgave the club for letting Joe go and believed then as they do now that the 49ers made a mistake.

I lived in the Bay Area during much of this, and I call Bull Shit. There might be a handful of Montana zealots left out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find any of them.

Lurker64
07-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Whatever the Packers do here, I will support the Green Bay Packers. The Packers are bigger than Favre, bigger than Thompson, bigger than Homgren, bigger than Lombardi, etc.

The only person I'm disappointed in over this whole mess is Brett Favre.

mraynrand
07-11-2008, 10:01 PM

I lived in the Bay Area during much of this, and I call Bull Shit. There might be a handful of Montana zealots left out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find any of them.

I was there too. The situations are not the same. Montana had been injured. Montana had struggled. Steve Young had a lot of experience, had played a lot of games - had a 107 passer rating in 1992. There's ZERO similarity between the situation for Young and Rodgers.

Brett Favre just came off an MVP level season. GOT THAT? He led the team to an 8-1 record with nothing in the run game. GOT THAT?

Here's another thing people forget. Steve Young didn't lead the 49ers to a championship until they bought the goddamn thing -free agents stacked so deep you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one - seven #ucking free agent starters - including, Plummer, Sanders, Dent, Jackson, Harris, Mann, Norton, Oates. Sure, some of those guys were at the end of the string, but the 49ers paid good money for that championship.

Spaulding
07-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Not just Clark posting that, another writer from Yahoo along somewhat the same lines:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=blamefavrenotpackersforp&prov=tsn&type=lgns

It appears Brett Favre will throw more passes in the NFL, but not for the Green Bay Packers.

Blame Favre, not the Packers, if he plays in another uniform next season.

Favre has asked the Packers for his unconditional release, reported first by ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. Foxsports.com later reported that Packers officials have no intention of releasing Favre. Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy reportedly weren’t receptive about Favre’s desire to return in 2008. The team released a statement Friday that said the “finality of (Favre’s) decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.”

The idea that Favre is being forced out of Green Bay does not wash. The Packers don’t owe Favre more respect or love than what he already has been given. Favre announced his retirement in March. If he felt pressured into that decision, he should have said so then. The Packers would have waited. If Favre had decided to come back before announcing his retirement, the Packers would have welcomed him back, especially coming off a superb season that fell one win short of a Super Bowl appearance.

Instead, Favre walked, only to waver. Now that the quarterback wants to return, Thompson finds himself in the most awkward position of any NFL general manager. He can grant Favre his release and give him the freedom to sign with anyone, including a division rival like the Minnesota Vikings. Thompson can try to trade Favre, which would alienate Packers fans. Or Thompson can bring back Favre, pulling the rug out from underneath Aaron Rodgers, who has prepared throughout the offseason thinking he finally would be the Packers’ starting quarterback.

The statement released by the Packers on Friday seems to indicate they will move on without Favre. I don’t blame them. How comfortable can Thompson and McCarthy be with Favre? He was questioning his desire to play football just a few months ago. He will be 39 in October. Sooner or later, the Packers had to move on. And when Favre said he was done, the Packers moved on.

Favre proved last year that he could still play. And even at this stage of his career, Favre is a better quarterback than Rogers. But the situation surrounding Favre in Green Bay has become fragile, and team chemistry is important. Favre is not happy with front office officials and wants to play elsewhere.

It’s doubtful that any would say so publicly, but some Packers players must think Rodgers is getting a raw deal.

Thompson has done an outstanding job during his three seasons as Packers general manager. He built a roster talented enough to be a Super Bowl contender. He hired an impressive young coach in McCarthy. And for several seasons, Thompson waited patiently as Favre decided whether to retire or return.

Thompson’s responsibility has not changed. His job is to do what is best for the Packers, not just Favre.

At this point, the rift between Favre and the Packers seems too wide to mend. Thompson should ask Favre to give him a list of teams he would consider playing for. Thompson then should try to make the best trade he can. If a trade cannot be worked out, he should let Favre stay on the roster and see how he reacts. No way, the Packers can allow him to play for the Vikings or anyone else in the NFC North.

It’s a shame things turned out this way. Favre should have played his last NFL game for the Packers. But he is not ready to leave the NFL. He is just ready to leave Green Bay.

Staff writer Clifton Brown covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at cliftonbrown@sportingnews.com.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 10:11 PM

I was there too. The situations are not the same. Montana had been injured. Montana had struggled. Steve Young had a lot of experience, had played a lot of games - had a 107 passer rating in 1992. There's ZERO similarity between the situation for Young and Rodgers.

Brett Favre just came off an MVP level season. GOT THAT? He led the team to an 8-1 record with nothing in the run game. GOT THAT?

Here's another thing people forget. Steve Young didn't lead the 49ers to a championship until they bought the goddamn thing -free agents stacked so deep you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one - seven #ucking free agent starters - including, Plummer, Sanders, Dent, Jackson, Harris, Mann, Norton, Oates. Sure, some of those guys were at the end of the string, but the 49ers paid good money for that championship.

Damn, what are you so upset about?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Bill Michaels phone interview on ESPN. Acting like a release is the most likely option. Weak stick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3483693&categoryId=2378529

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I always found Bill Michaels to be kind of a 'tard. He rarely is right on anything.

The only good thing about Bill Michaels is that he had good chemistry with Brian Noble.

]{ilr]3
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Whatever the Packers do here, I will support the Green Bay Packers. The Packers are bigger than Favre, bigger than Thompson, bigger than Homgren, bigger than Lombardi, etc.

The only person I'm disappointed in over this whole mess is Brett Favre.

Amen!