PDA

View Full Version : Heard someone was released today

Brandon494
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know who it is?

MadtownPacker
06-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know who it is?Hopefully Sanders, send him to Hou with Sherm!

Welcome to PR Brandon.

MJZiggy
06-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Nice to see yet another Mid-Atlantic member.

red
06-08-2006, 12:38 PM
i haven't seen anything, but maybe it was one of the kickers

packiowa
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Packers report has the info for members.

If it's a name I'd prefer one of these guys:

-Donnell Washington
-B.J.
-Rod Gardner

woodbuck27
06-08-2006, 01:37 PM

-Donnell Washington
-B.J.
-Rod Gardner

Too early to release either BJ Sander or Rod Gardner, and I would be surprised if it was Washington so early as well. I see Rod Gardner as the one of these three, with the best chance to stick.

MJZiggy
06-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Brett Favre just said that Rod Gardner was a really good, underrated pickup. I just don't see him going anywhere quite yet. They probably released some camp body that no one's ever heard of.

packiowa
06-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Brett Favre just said that Rod Gardner was a really good, underrated pickup. I just don't see him going anywhere quite yet. They probably released some camp body that no one's ever heard of.

I agree about the probability.

The only one I listed that I could see being released early is Washington. There are a lot of bodies at DT and Jolly is added to the group.

B.J. will get more time for sure.

Gardner could be a solid receiver, I just like Fergy, Bo, and Rodgers so I listed him in my preference. Maybe we keep 'em all, maybe not.

red
06-08-2006, 01:58 PM
i think bj will soon be out the door

he's shanking kicks and hitting his booming 30 yards just like he has his first two years in the nfl

if ryan can come in and drill the piss out of the ball, almost twice as far as bj, and have the same number of shanks, then this isn't even close to being a contest IMO

BJ sucks as an NFL punter, when he does get ahold of a ball in a game he might get it to go 40 yards, and thats a big IF he gets ahold of it

lets take a look at how horrible bj is

on nfl.com they rank the top 30 punters from last year. he ranks last(30th) in average 39.2, net average 33.9, touch backs and punts inside the 2. he also had the shortest longest punt of that entire group with a huge 53 yarder

its time for him to go, what kind of f@cking moron would think spending a 3rd round pick on him was a good idea?

if ryan shows even an ounce of of potential then we need to sign him up, because that would be tons more then sanders has shown going into his 3rd season. and him kicking a bunch of 60 and 65 yarders is more than enough potential for me

packrulz
06-08-2006, 02:35 PM
i think bj will soon be out the door

he's shanking kicks and hitting his booming 30 yards just like he has his first two years in the nfl

if ryan can come in and drill the piss out of the ball, almost twice as far as bj, and have the same number of shanks, then this isn't even close to being a contest IMO

BJ sucks as an NFL punter, when he does get ahold of a ball in a game he might get it to go 40 yards, and thats a big IF he gets ahold of it

lets take a look at how horrible bj is

on nfl.com they rank the top 30 punters from last year. he ranks last(30th) in average 39.2, net average 33.9, touch backs and punts inside the 2. he also had the shortest longest punt of that entire group with a huge 53 yarder

its time for him to go, what kind of f@cking moron would think spending a 3rd round pick on him was a good idea?

if ryan shows even an ounce of of potential then we need to sign him up, because that would be tons more then sanders has shown going into his 3rd season. and him kicking a bunch of 60 and 65 yarders is more than enough potential for me

The back up QB, Martin, can back up at punter also.

The Leaper
06-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't think Sander is going anywhere yet. The punting battle will at least stretch into some exhibition games. They aren't going to dump Sander for an unproven player just because he can bomb the ball in camp without a heavy rush.

If anything, the first guy out the door will be the #5 QB. Favre, Rodgers, Martin can easily share the load of snaps...they won't go into training camp with more than 4 QBs.

red
06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't think Sander is going anywhere yet. The punting battle will at least stretch into some exhibition games. They aren't going to dump Sander for an unproven player just because he can bomb the ball in camp without a heavy rush.

If anything, the first guy out the door will be the #5 QB. Favre, Rodgers, Martin can easily share the load of snaps...they won't go into training camp with more than 4 QBs.

what little bit of hope if any has sanders shown? he's had more then enough chances at this point.

i say dump him now and bring in someone else to battle ryan for the punting spot. we know BJ is absolute shit, why keep him?

retailguy
06-08-2006, 02:59 PM
we know BJ is absolute shit, why keep him?

I don't "know" that, so is "we" "you"?

red
06-08-2006, 03:02 PM
we know BJ is absolute shit, why keep him?

I don't "know" that, so is "we" "you"?

whats he done to show you he can be a punter in the nfl in the last 2 years? i haven't seen one god damn thing

when a punter kicks a 45 yarded you shouldn't have to say "thank god"

MJZiggy
06-08-2006, 03:07 PM

what little bit of hope if any has sanders shown? he's had more then enough chances at this point.

i say dump him now and bring in someone else to battle ryan for the punting spot. we know BJ is absolute shit, why keep him?

I believe they actually will keep at least a 4th qb (Wrobel) because of the NFLE roster limit exemption, and they will hold onto BJ until they can find another punter that they feel will be a legitimate challenge to Ryan, though, who knows, maybe they like what they're seeing out of him and will leave Sander in there until they need the roster room. Why not if you're pretty well convinced you've already found what you're looking for in Ryan and Martin can play backup?

retailguy
06-08-2006, 03:11 PM
whats he done to show you he can be a punter in the nfl in the last 2 years? i haven't seen one god damn thing

Well for one he got drafted. Thats more than we can say for you, or me for that matter.

I'm not saying that BJ has been a great, or even, good punter. However, you can't look at his "longest punt" and say because he's ranked "last" he stinks. It doesn't work that way.

GB racked up a lot of yards last year. BJ didn't punt from his own end zone very often. It makes sense that he wouldn't have the longest punt as long as Favre is under center, the odds have it, he'll be punting with decent field position.

Also, BJ was brought in to be a "directional punter". He wasn't brought in to "kill the ball". So don't judge him that way. His "directional punting" has stunk up to this point, however, somebody sees something in him up until this point, or he'd be gone. They've already got rid of a couple of punters, so obviously, "they" like him better than those guys.

I have no problem that you don't like BJ, I don't particularly care for him either, but he has not been as poor of a punter as the "experts" in these forums think he has been.

He's a "punching bag" because of where he got drafted. My guess, is, if you had to deal with the kind of pressure these well meaning "experts" have heaped on a third round draft choice, we'd find you at the end of a paper bag trying hard not to hyperventilate.

Go take a prozac Red, our punter is NOT A BIG DEAL.

The Leaper
06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Red...here's the facts:

NFL experience
Ryan = 0 years
Sander = 1 year

Punts against an NFL defense:
Ryan = 0
Sander = 64

That is why we aren't dumping Sander right now and just handing the job to Ryan. Ryan, despite how ever many 60 yard punts he had in Canada or on a practice field, has not proven himself on an NFL field...under the pressure of a defensive rush and using balls fresh out of the box.

And there aren't any free agent punters out there with any better qualifications than Sander under the age of 35.

retailguy
06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
And there aren't any free agent punters out there with any better qualifications than Sander under the age of 35.

Wow. You better go into hiding. Spewing stuff like this is akin to what Salmon Rushdie did. They gonna string you up!

It must be BJ's fault. It MUST be. He's a really really bad punter, just ask ANYBODY. :mrgreen:

red
06-08-2006, 04:13 PM

Well for one he got drafted. Thats more than we can say for you, or me for that matter.

I'm not saying that BJ has been a great, or even, good punter. However, you can't look at his "longest punt" and say because he's ranked "last" he stinks. It doesn't work that way.

GB racked up a lot of yards last year. BJ didn't punt from his own end zone very often. It makes sense that he wouldn't have the longest punt as long as Favre is under center, the odds have it, he'll be punting with decent field position.

Also, BJ was brought in to be a "directional punter". He wasn't brought in to "kill the ball". So don't judge him that way. His "directional punting" has stunk up to this point, however, somebody sees something in him up until this point, or he'd be gone. They've already got rid of a couple of punters, so obviously, "they" like him better than those guys.

I have no problem that you don't like BJ, I don't particularly care for him either, but he has not been as poor of a punter as the "experts" in these forums think he has been.

He's a "punching bag" because of where he got drafted. My guess, is, if you had to deal with the kind of pressure these well meaning "experts" have heaped on a third round draft choice, we'd find you at the end of a paper bag trying hard not to hyperventilate.

Go take a prozac Red, our punter is NOT A BIG DEAL.

the argument that he had good field positision and didn't have to boom every kick would work on me if it wasn't for the fact that he was also last out of that group in kicks inside the 20 and last in touch backs, meaning he only got about 12 punts even to the 20. to me that shows either he sucks at direction or he is too weak to get inside the 20

and i'm not just going on numbers, you just have to watch him to see he shouldn't be in the nfl

and leaper, sanders has 2 years of nfl experience. he was just so horrible his 1 year that we had to waste a roster spot on another punter

i don't dislike the guy, just because we drafted him in the third. i dislike him because everytime he went to punt last year i had to cringe. i knew there was a very good chance the punt was going to be awefull, and no chance it was going to be great

and like i said before, i don't think the job should just be given to ryan. i said BJ has shown zero potential in now his 3rd season. get rid of him and bring in somebody else to compete for the job because BJ sure as hell can't get it done. there has to be free agents out there that can punt. i've seen high school punter with more talent then sanders

its time to cut the cord

red
06-08-2006, 04:27 PM
i don't know, i just think that a guy going into his third year as a punter should be looking a lot better then what i've heard he's doing this off season

there were times last year where it looked like he had it figured out, then there were others where it looks like he just learned how to punt.

for me thats not good enough, because theres guys out there that do know what they're doing right now, and we wouldn't have to sit here and worry about it

gbpackfan
06-08-2006, 04:55 PM
To reply to the initial question, it was JEREMY THORNBURG. Old news, I believe that he didnt pass his physical.

K-town
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Too bad. I remember him being a real kamikaze (the crashing airplane kind, not the vodka gimlet in a shot glass kind) on special teams.

red
06-08-2006, 05:18 PM
back to the main topic and not just bitching about the worst reach in team draft history

i still can't find anywhere where we cut anybody today or yesterday or the day before. so i'd say the info that someone got cut is probably bogus

Bossman641
06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Red,

I found this from an article over at Packersnews.

Safety Jeremy Thornburg was waived after failing to pass his physical

It's just a tiny little blurb at the bottom of the page. Here's the link

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_26334642.shtml

red
06-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Red,

I found this from an article over at Packersnews.

Safety Jeremy Thornburg was waived after failing to pass his physical

It's just a tiny little blurb at the bottom of the page. Here's the link

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_26334642.shtml

thanks, i never would have found that, and i obviously missed it when gbpackfan posted it

good catch

Bretsky
06-09-2006, 07:26 AM

-Donnell Washington
-B.J.
-Rod Gardner

Why would you want to see Gardner released ? I think he actually has some nice upside in our offense.

Green Bud Packer
06-09-2006, 08:52 AM
what kind of f@cking moron would think spending a 3rd round pick on him was a good idea?

that moron is in houston now. good riddance.

packiowa
06-09-2006, 10:03 AM

-Donnell Washington
-B.J.
-Rod Gardner

Why would you want to see Gardner released ? I think he actually has some nice upside in our offense.

He certainly has upside, and Favre can bring that out as well as anyone. My take was that I like Fergy and Bo. I also was suprised to see us draft Rodgers in the 4th, but I remember him from college and he was a very dangerous return man. I'd like him to stick around. To me, that leaves Gardner and Martin. I don't get to watch the OTA's so my belief in Rodgers is probably misguided, but I still have faith. Gardner is a classic underacheiver and I'm afraid if he does well this year, we'll give him some money and be stuck with him under Aaron Rodgers. Gardner may be more of a deep threat than Martin, but I want hungry players. I'll certainly cheer for Gardner if he lines up for us, I was just throwing out a set of three "name" players that I wouldn't be crushed to see leave.

packiowa
06-09-2006, 02:17 PM
It appears that special someone was Donnell Washington. After this rumor yesterday, it was very suspicious that Washington was missing from practice. Hopefully, this says more about Jolly and Allen than it does about Washington.

Bretsky
06-09-2006, 07:55 PM

-Donnell Washington
-B.J.
-Rod Gardner

He certainly has upside, and Favre can bring that out as well as anyone. My take was that I like Fergy and Bo. I also was suprised to see us draft Rodgers in the 4th, but I remember him from college and he was a very dangerous return man. I'd like him to stick around. To me, that leaves Gardner and Martin. I don't get to watch the OTA's so my belief in Rodgers is probably misguided, but I still have faith. Gardner is a classic underacheiver and I'm afraid if he does well this year, we'll give him some money and be stuck with him under Aaron Rodgers. Gardner may be more of a deep threat than Martin, but I want hungry players. I'll certainly cheer for Gardner if he lines up for us, I was just throwing out a set of three "name" players that I wouldn't be crushed to see leave.

We've witnessed Ferguson fail plenty, even with Favre's ability to bring him out. Let's give the new guy a chance and wash our hands of the underachiever

red
06-09-2006, 08:08 PM
We've witnessed Ferguson fail plenty, even with Favre's ability to bring him out. Let's give the new guy a chance and wash our hands of the underachiever

in truth this will be the 6th year were we'll be saying, "maybe this will be the year for fergy"?

at some point you need to forget about it and try something else

packiowa
06-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I agrre with the above points. I would distinguish the two by pointing to Fergy's freak injuries. The close line. The catch against Minn. where his knee buckled. These are high effort plays that resulted in freak injuries. Gardner's problems aren't from freak injuries. However, Gardner never played with Favre either. I'm fine with Gardner on the team, and think Favre can bring him out. Can Rodgers in the following years? I'm afraid Gardner will revert.

Patler
06-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Gardner may be an underachiever, but as a receiver he has far out produced Ferguson over the same seasons. Its not even close.