PDA

View Full Version : Al Jones: Blame Thompson

pbmax
07-11-2008, 10:31 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-38/Favre-s-media-friend--Blame-Thompson.html

Favre's media friend: Blame Thompson

July 11, 2008 9:48 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

Al Jones is required reading when it comes to retired Packers quarterback Brett Favre. Jones is a longtime sportswriter at the Biloxi Sun Herald and has been close to Favre since the latter's high school playing days. The two speak often and it's fair to say they share many of the same views.

We can't tell you for sure if that's the case in this instance. But it's worth noting that Jones strongly rebuked Packers general manager Ted Thompson in a column appearing Friday on the newspaper's Web site. Jones holds Thompson responsible for the now-public split between Favre and the team, writing that Thompson did nothing to talk Favre out of retirement.

"Sounds like an ego problem to me," Jones wrote.

Jones also chastised Thompson for reportedly telling Favre via text message that he was on vacation last week and would speak with him later. "Thompson's response of being on vacation got the best of Brett. All Brett wanted was an indication that he'd be welcomed back."

Instead, Favre's request to play elsewhere in 2008 "falls on the shoulders" of Thompson," Jones wrote.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 10:32 PM

Is he talking about Brett? Jones is Favre's ball washer.

Joemailman
07-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, that settles it for me. TT sucks.

Zool
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM

Seems from the article that he only uses his tongue for that job.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Original Article:

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/679962.html

Why must a grown man be talked out of retirement? 13-3, NFC Championship Berth and $12 million, and he needs to be talked out of retirement?

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Wow. It makes you wonder which side Deanna will pick.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:38 PM
"Furthermore, Brett Favre is the main reason that Thompson was recognized last year as one of the top general managers in the league."

Incredible.

pbmax
07-11-2008, 10:38 PM
No, the ESPN blogger is referring to Al Jones' characterization of Thompson, as in McCarthy tried to talk Favre out of the 2008 version of retirement but Thompson did not.

He also fails to mention that Thompson did talk him out of it once and that Favre himself said the T2 wasn't the reason for the retirement. Apparently Ted was supposed to call and email all offseason until Game 1 or Brett changed his mind.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2008, 10:40 PM
No, the ESPN blogger is referring to Al Jones' characterization of Thompson, as in McCarthy tried to talk Favre out of the 2008 version of retirement but Thompson did not.

I know.
:D

pbmax
07-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Sorry :oops:

Sarcasm detector has gone offline to make room for more righteous indignation.

I know.
:D

Lurker64
07-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Counterpoint: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Favre-flip-flopped-before-draft

When Favre almost unretired in late-March/early-April Thompson was the deciding vote to bring Favre back, assuming Glazer is to be believed.

If Favre seriously wanted to unretire, he should have stuck with it back in March. What's going on right now is 100% Brett's fault. Considering the frequency with which Favre has waffled and the suspect nature of his commitment to the team, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he quits on whoever he's playing with in November sometime.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 10:55 PM
What's going on right now is 100% Brett's fault.

While I agree with you, I'm really looking forward to getting beyond the finger pointing. It'll be nice when it's over.

RashanGary
07-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Wow. It makes you wonder which side Deanna will pick.

This is sort of sad and more real than I want to make some of this stuff but when Brett's dad and Diana's step dad died I think Brett lost the people that really kept Brett level. Since that time Brett seems to be surrounded with complete "yes men". Dianna seems to do her best to recognize things as she sees them, but I don't think Brett has anyone else to really keep him grounded and because of that he's sort of lost it the last couple years.

Brett is a good person. He loves sick childeren. He loves his wife and childeren. He treats people (all people except his teammates) with respect. He just lost his ground, finially. He started to believe he was above the game and it just seems to have gone down hill.

I take this stuff from what I hear from Havel on the air. He gives his opinions and shares what he knows and I sort of piece it together to mean what I think it means. Havel wouldn't be nearly as hard on his buddy but he has said that he's seen a different (less aware) Brett since he lost his dad.

Scott Campbell
07-11-2008, 11:04 PM
How funny would it be if we traded Favre back to Atlanta for a first. In other words, we borrowed him for 17 years for nuthin.

MJZiggy
07-11-2008, 11:05 PM
What's going on right now is 100% Brett's fault.

While I agree with you, I'm really looking forward to getting beyond the finger pointing. It'll be nice when it's over.

Yes, it will be nice when we can look at this without having to blame someone. 2013 will be such a nice year.

falco
07-11-2008, 11:08 PM
al jones seems like a piece of shit

and the article sucks

hawaii50
07-11-2008, 11:25 PM

and the article sucks

couldn't agree more. i wrote him a friendly email telling him such. his email is listed on the bottom of the article if anyone else would like to do the same.

SnakeLH2006
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
How funny would it be if we traded Favre back to Atlanta for a first. In other words, we borrowed him for 17 years for nuthin.

:D It makes sense....I mean TT saves face and says, "Hey, look, I got back that first round draft pick that Wolf wasted on Favre." :roll:

falco
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM

and the article sucks

couldn't agree more. i wrote him a friendly email telling him such. his email is listed on the bottom of the article if anyone else would like to do the same.

as well as his phone number :shock:

his "article" is fine as a blog or a letter to the editor, but it doesn't belong as a piece of journalism.....

his bias is showing

Packerarcher
07-12-2008, 07:25 AM

and the article sucks

his "article" is fine as a blog or a letter to the editor, but it doesn't belong as a piece of journalism.....

his bias is showing

As is yours and all the other TT leg humpers in this thread.

pbmax
07-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I am sure you gentleman conversed with Mr. Jones in a most polite and respectful manner, as would befit the tradition of dignity and common sense for Packer fans.

Right? :smack:

al jones seems like a piece of shit and the article sucks

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Jones appears to be slightly more accessible than all the Packer and NFL SOURCES who told of Favre's Hamlet-like indecision.

OMG! 'SOURCES SAY' FAVRE CHANGED HIS MIND TWICE. TWICE!!! WEll, then #UCK HIM!! We blew a 7th round draft pick on a QB we never would have picked had Favre come back! We're going with the guy who never started a game. That'll show Favre. I can't believe he cost us a seventh round pick! Plus, he's an old washed upo piece of shit who obviously can't play at as high a level as Rodgers.

Fred's Slacks
07-12-2008, 08:27 AM

and the article sucks

his bias is showing

As is yours and all the other TT leg humpers in this thread.

Archer, You need to pull your nose out of Lord Favre's arse and realize the situation. Just what the hell do you expect Thompson to do? He already accepted him back once this offseason. Now that he continues to waffle, his commitment is in question. Something you can't have in your starting QB. But that's fine. One good thing about this situation is that we can get rid of all these Favre fans and make room for the real Packer fans. The band wagon could use some room.

I am very greatfull for all the great moments Favre gave us but the team comes first. I wish him well.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Now that he continues to waffle, his commitment is in question.

That's what NFL and PACKER 'SOURCES' tell us. And we all know that Favre's commitment has been in question in the past. Hmmm, I'l return. No wait. yes OK, I want to come back - WELL PISS OFF - YOU SUCK. YOU CHANGED YOU MIND ONE TOO MANY TIMES! WE'LL with the guy whop has never started instead!

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/99/81/22188199.jpg

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Jones appears to be slightly more accessible than all the Packer and NFL SOURCES who told of Favre's Hamlet-like indecision.

OMG! 'SOURCES SAY' FAVRE CHANGED HIS MIND TWICE. TWICE!!! WEll, then #UCK HIM!! We blew a 7th round draft pick on a QB we never would have picked had Favre come back! We're going with the guy who never started a game. That'll show Favre. I can't believe he cost us a seventh round pick! Plus, he's an old washed upo piece of shit who obviously can't play at as high a level as Rodgers.

I must have missed that release.

On a side note, It's good to see Brett's friend and personal biographer is the only one sending out the accurate message. At least we have one guy we can trust in this whole ordeal.

falco
07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm no TT leg humper - I sympathize with him in this situation, but I will judge him based on the decision he makes here, and how it pans out for the team. I hope something can be worked out for everyone.

That doesn't preclude me from saying that article was disgusting and served very little purpose other than to inflame tempers.

falco
07-12-2008, 08:36 AM

That's what NFL and PACKER 'SOURCES' tell us. And we all know that Favre's commitment has been in question in the past. Hmmm, I'l return. No wait. yes OK, I want to come back - WELL PISS OFF - YOU SUCK. YOU CHANGED YOU MIND ONE TOO MANY TIMES! WE'LL with the guy whop has never started instead!

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/99/81/22188199.jpg

i'm not sure what you're getting at here...

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm no TT leg humper - I sympathize with him in this situation, but I will judge him based on the decision he makes here, and how it pans out for the team. I hope something can be worked out for everyone.

That doesn't preclude me from saying that article was disgusting and served very little purpose other than to inflame tempers.

Agree; if TT does not want Favre that takes stones

And good or bad TT will be closely judged by his decision.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:38 AM
I think he's saying the Packers are not doing what they think is best but rather teasing Brett Favre by going with Rodgers instead. I would never assume someone to have such a trait, but hey, maybe MrAynRand has some insight into human tendancy that we're unaware of. Is there something about yourself that you need to share, MrAyn?

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:41 AM

Good, bad or indifferent, I think it's pretty obvious that he's fearless and willing to put his job on the line for what he truely believes. Nobody, except Ted and Mike, have to answer for this. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they are looking out for their own best interests if not for the interest of the organization that they seem to have fully committed to. Maybe we don't understand, but they get paid to have forsight and their jobs are dependant on it. I think this, like the past crazy moves, will turn out to be a pro-Packer experience.

falco
07-12-2008, 08:44 AM

Good, bad or indifferent, I think it's pretty obvious that he's fearless and willing to put his job on the line for what he truely believes. Nobody, except Ted and Mike, have to answer for this. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they are looking out for their own best interests if not for the interest of the organization that they seem to have fully committed to. Maybe we don't understand, but they get paid to have forsight and their jobs are dependant on it. I think this, like the past crazy moves, will turn out to be a pro-Packer experience.

Let's keep in mind that willing to put his job on the line for what he believes is only a good thing if his beliefs are right. Doesn't matter how strong his convictions are, we need to succeed or he's on the road

sheepshead
07-12-2008, 09:05 AM

and the article sucks

Plus Jones said the late-March-change-of-mind was "news to him" well if it is true that MM and TT were ready to hop a plane then Jones is operating in a bubble and should keep his yap shut and has very little cred at this point.

Fritz
07-12-2008, 09:12 AM

How true, Bretsky, how true. His reputation will ride on how this single act plays out, regardless of what else Thompson has done or will do.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 09:18 AM

How true, Bretsky, how true. His reputation will ride on how this single act plays out, regardless of what else Thompson has done or will do.

If this decision is botched the ex haters will jump right back into their old club

pbmax
07-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Rand, what would you say about any other player, Marvin Harrison, John Lynch, even Terrell Owens that waited to the last week of June to decide to commit to play?

Is playing catch with high school players the same thing as minicamp?

Is jogging with them the same thing as the offseason weightlifting program?

Mike Holmgren once scoffed at Dorsey Levens' very serious offseason training while he stayed in Atlanta (or somewhere) waiting for a new deal. What would Holmgren say about Favre's offseason so far?

Favre has started to fade in the second half of seasons as he gets older. Do you think this offseason regimen is helping him?

Working out is boring and repetitive and exhausting. Every moron who says Favre will get bored sitting on a tractor instead of being with the team forgets to mention the several things Favre doesn't like to do anymore with the team.

He is clearly bored with the preparation necessary to play at his highest level. Watching extra film doesn't help you go right to the sideline to escape the rush without falling down. His commitment has slackened. How many more years are you willing to bet on before it catches up to a 38 year old?

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I think he's saying the Packers are not doing what they think is best but rather teasing Brett Favre by going with Rodgers instead. I would never assume someone to have such a trait, but hey, maybe MrAynRand has some insight into human tendancy that we're unaware of. Is there something about yourself that you need to share, MrAyn?

My point is pretty simple: It makes no sense to want to go with Rodgers over Favre. It sure seems (based on ANONYMOUS SOURCES) that it's because he was indecisive. That to me is a really bad reason to make a really bad move.

The Best move would be to start Favre with Rodgers as backup - you replace Favre when he sucks or gets hurt.

But I could easily be wrong. MM and TT wouldn't be doing what they're doing if they didn't have a lot of confidence in Rodgers and think that the Favre circus was disrupting things.

But to me it's a big so what? Favre gives them the best chance to win until he starts to suck. And if he starts to suck, well that's why they drafted Rodgers.

Plus, as an organization, you don't flush the most popular guy in the sport, after one of his best years ever, ESPECIALLY since he worked his ass off to get better in the offense and reduce mistakes, and he bailed the entire team out in the first half of the season, when the O line and running backs sucked.

Fritz
07-12-2008, 09:39 AM

My point is pretty simple: It makes no sense to want to go with Rodgers over Favre. It sure seems (based on ANONYMOUS SOURCES) that it's because he was indecisive. That to me is a really bad reason to make a really bad move.

The Best move would be to start Favre with Rodgers as backup - you replace Favre when he sucks or gets hurt.

But I could easily be wrong. MM and TT wouldn't be doing what they're doing if they didn't have a lot of confidence in Rodgers and think that the Favre circus was disrupting things.

But to me it's a big so what? Favre gives them the best chance to win until he starts to suck. And if he starts to suck, well that's why they drafted Rodgers.

Plus, as an organization, you don't flush the most popular guy in the sport, after one of his best years ever, ESPECIALLY since he worked his ass off to get better in the offense and reduce mistakes, and he bailed the entire team out in the first half of the season, when the O line and running backs sucked.

mraynrand, I completely disagree with your assessment, but I appreciate that you are trying to take the sentimentality out of this.

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Imagine the PR nightmare that would cause too. Bring back Brett and then be the guy that benched him. How many games does he have to suck in before you make that call? How much of the season do you let slip by before you further inflame the fans by putting their MVP quarterback on the bench for an untested young quarterback. Didn't we already have this conversation in '92 or '93 somewhere?

pbmax
07-12-2008, 09:52 AM
But keeping Favre comes with an opportunity cost. Rodgers can leave after 2009. In another thread people were decrying Green Bay becoming another Siberia if Favre left. But he is going to leave, eventually.

The best way to avoid a huge letdown is to prepare. If you keep Favre for one and certainly if he stays for two, then Rodgers is gone.

Which scenario leads to Siberia first, Favre followed by Brohm or Rodgers followed by Brohm?

Cristl an others have tried to explain that you just won't see another QB of his caliber pass this way for a generation. And that may be true. But I wouldn't want any of these folks running my business who believed there was no need to plan because after this product is retired, there is no hope.

Planning for a future without Favre seems like a guaranteed letdown. But it will be better than to sacrifice any planning.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Mraynrand, we blew a SECOND round pick on a QB we never would have drafted if Favre were coming back. Flynn is irrelevant to this issue. It's Brohm that would not have been drafted.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:06 AM

Let's look at it from another perspective. You can make the arguement that Favre bailed the Packers out the first half of the season. Fine. I'll make the arguement that I've been making since November of last year, which is that the WR's - Driver, Jennings, Jones, etc. - were the ones who made Favre look so good. Don't believe me? Look up which team led the league in yards AFTER the catch last year. And in the first half of the season - the one in which you credit Lord Favre alone for bailing the team out of - it wasn't even close. We were leading the league in number of 5 yard slants turned into 25 yard gains by a VERY wide margin. And in case you didn't know, those same guys are coming back to make defenders look foolish while leading the league in YAC again this year, Favre or no Favre.

Packerarcher
07-12-2008, 10:36 AM

There you go thinking again,of course you are the most devoted TT leghumper on this forum so it wouldn't matter what he does you would think it was good. While Dumb fuck TT is running players out of town that will take this team to the play offs why stop at Brett. Let's get rid of Driver after all he is getting old. Don't give Grant a new contract,if he were packer people he would play for FREE. Kampman is my favorite D player but he prbably doesn't fit into the TT scheme either SHIP HIM. Jennings oughta be worth about 25 draft picks. I could go on but you get my point.

Packerarcher
07-12-2008, 10:47 AM

Let's look at it from another perspective. You can make the arguement that Favre bailed the Packers out the first half of the season. Fine. I'll make the arguement that I've been making since November of last year, which is that the WR's - Driver, Jennings, Jones, etc. - were the ones who made Favre look so good. Don't believe me? Look up which team led the league in yards AFTER the catch last year. And in the first half of the season - the one in which you credit Lord Favre alone for bailing the team out of - it wasn't even close. We were leading the league in number of 5 yard slants turned into 25 yard gains by a VERY wide margin. And in case you didn't know, those same guys are coming back to make defenders look foolish while leading the league in YAC again this year, Favre or no Favre.

Hey,Boywonder the receivers may have HELPED Favre look good but if you don't have a RELIABLE QB in there to take the snaps who the fuck throws it to the receivers. Having a QB that you can count on to play every game is HUGE,just ask the Bears. I think the majority of you Favre bashers really don't understand that this man has incredible mental toughness and heart. These are things that are VERY valuable to any good football player,but since you can't find it on a stat sheet there are those that never will understand it.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
There you go thinking again,of course you are the most devoted TT leghumper on this forum so it wouldn't matter what he does you would think it was good. While Dumb fuck TT is running players out of town that will take this team to the play offs why stop at Brett. Let's get rid of Driver after all he is getting old. Don't give Grant a new contract,if he were packer people he would play for FREE. Kampman is my favorite D player but he prbably doesn't fit into the TT scheme either SHIP HIM. Jennings oughta be worth about 25 draft picks. I could go on but you get my point.

Archer, you might be the biggest BF leghumper on the forum. TT isn't running Driver or Jennings or Taucher or Clifton or Barnett or Kampman or any other player out of town. REMEMBER ARCHER THAT BRETT WALKED OUT OF TOWN ON HIS OWN. The Green Bay Packers didn't tell Favre that he was retired. Favre told the Green Bay Packers he was retired. And the team filled the position he vacated, same as any other company does with it's own retired employees. And any other person who retires only to come back to the company they retired from saying they want thier job back would be told the same exact thing. "The position has been filled Mr. Favre. Sorry."

Scott Campbell
I could go on but you get my point.

No, please, go on. :lol:

Fritz

Sigh. You're right, Packerarcher. There he goes, thinking again. Don't you just hate it when people actually think instead of just reacting emotionally?

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:51 AM

Hey,Boywonder the receivers may have HELPED Favre look good but if you don't have a RELIABLE QB in there to take the snaps who the fuck throws it to the receivers. Having a QB that you can count on to play every game is HUGE,just ask the Bears. I think the majority of you Favre bashers really don't understand that this man has incredible mental toughness and heart. These are things that are VERY valuable to any good football player,but since you can't find it on a stat sheet there are those that never will understand it.

Oh WTF Archer, you've seen Rodgers play in 2 fucking games in 3 years and that's enough for you to form a solid opinion about him? ROFL.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I think the majority of you Favre bashers really don't understand that this man has incredible mental toughness and heart.

I bet these fools don't realize that he helps old ladies cross the street too.

Maybe if Brett had gotten more media coverage, people would understand that he's a great football player. Why does Ted have to hog all the good press? And don't get me started on Madden. What a man crush he has on Ted.

bobblehead
07-12-2008, 10:59 AM

I would like to point out that on the old JS forum gunakor pretty much defended BF after the "interception". He is not a TT leg humper or a favre hater, but simply analyzing the situation as it is now. And he usually does a pretty decent job of it. Favre is an all time great, but he should not be held above the team.