PDA

View Full Version : A battle is brewing. Time to pick sides

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 12:31 AM
vote on this. Lets see how the forum feels

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 12:36 AM
This one will be interesting; my guess says the homers in here end up putting blame on Favre.

I don't consider myself to be a TT jock sniffer or a Favre Jock Sniffer

Both of these guys made mistakes; neither is overly productive as a smooth communicator IMO

The thread didn't ask for a side... so....it was hard for me to vote for anything but "both".

Iron Mike
07-12-2008, 12:39 AM
I blame LawyerJoe. :x

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't consider myself to be a TT jock sniffer or a Favre Jock Sniffer.

I was all set to blame Ted Thompson. After learning that Favre changed his mind about retiring twice, I can't help but sympathize with Ted Thompson for drafting 2 QB's, publicly supporting Aaron Rodgers at a time when he needs it most, and making a tough decision for the perceived better of the organization’s future at the QB position.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't consider myself to be a TT jock sniffer or a Favre Jock Sniffer.

I was all set to blame Ted Thompson. After learning that Favre changed his mind about retiring twice, I can't help but sympathize with Ted Thompson for drafting 2 QB's, publicly supporting Aaron Rodgers at a time when he needs it most, and making a tough decision for the perceived better of the organization’s future at the QB position.

Here are comments regarding this from Al Jones, who was authoring a book with Favre around the time Fox said this was occuring

Jones said Favre never mentioned any desire in March to come back. The two were putting the finishing touches on Jones’ book about Favre’s career at that time and Favre seemed convinced he was finished, Jones said. It wasn’t until Jones caught up with Favre in June that he saw the quarterback had been working out and throwing at a nearby high school, clearly preparing to get in training-camp shape.

“That (the Fox report) is news to me . . . ” Jones said. “He would have told me. There was no indication to me that anything like that had happened.”

SnakeLH2006
07-12-2008, 02:07 AM
This is quite simple... Take all the hysterics out. Brett Favre was one of the top 5 (easily) top 5 QB's in the NFL last year. Give him his fucking job. Wow. (Former TT supporter) TT needs to check his skeletons before he goes apeshit for an unproven AR...what if AR was the most hyped QB EVER in college and we got him for the #1 pick this year, would Brett lose his job?? N.O.P.E. :shock: Well I guess so with that logic.....Fuck you TT and your agendas....>>longterm support from day 1 = out the window punk!

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2008, 02:10 AM

What?
:D

SnakeLH2006
07-12-2008, 02:15 AM

What?

HAHAHA..right...so are you a Packer fan?? LMFAO! :lol:

Freak Out
07-12-2008, 02:18 AM
How about none of the above?

SnakeLH2006
07-12-2008, 02:27 AM

This is Star Wars goddamit! Good vs. Evil.. Brett vs. TT....Hmmm.....they both have agendas..Hmmm..(saunters into his private pad). LOL but really there is a side to each...We all have opinions...What's yours, if you don't have one, then it's TT, as he won't make an "official" comment and "hope" this dies down...LOL

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 02:54 AM

no kidding.

nobody did anything wrong.

edit: On second thought, isn't it just possible that Mike Sherman's hand can be seen in all this? Sherman spoiled Favre. Ya, the pieces are fitting together,

Lurker64
07-12-2008, 04:28 AM
It's simple really, Brett Favre wants what's best for him. Ted Thompson wants what's best for the Green Bay Packers.

Joemailman
07-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Favre has been my favorite athlete ever. But twice in a month he decided he didn't want to play for the Packers. Hard to blame Ted for deciding to move on with the post-Favre era.

Packerarcher
07-12-2008, 07:10 AM
It's simple really, Brett Favre wants what's best for him. Ted Thompson wants what's best for the Green Bay Packers.
WHO wants what is best for the fans? Sure the fuck not TT,otherwise hewould put the QB on the field in 08 that gives them the best cance of WINNING. To say Favre is only thinking about himself is wrong,uless you are going to say the same thing about a crybaby Rodgers that threatens to walk if Brett comes back. How can TT say he is thinking of the future when they could have success now with Brett and in the future with Rodgers,if Rodgers were the team player he CLAIMS to be. This is not about moving on with Rodgers. This is about TT showing the world that he runs the ship,and if he lats Brett Favre go that ship will be named Titanic 2.

FavreChild
07-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Brett changed his mind. How is that "wrong?"

He asked to come back, the organization said no, so he's just doing what he's gotta do. It's an unfortunate situation, but I don't see fault in that.

This is a PR nightmare for the Packers, but fortunately for them they have a professional PR team. They have no choice but to spin Favre as the bad guy.

sheepshead
07-12-2008, 07:33 AM
This is easy. TT has to react and do his job with the resources available. If Brett retires and especially if he says he has lost the desire to play, then by all means, TT has a responsibility to move on. Geez, what if Brett retired and TT held out hope like a love struck school girl and hoped Brett would change his mind. Brett stays home and we end up with Jeff George or somebody under center signed in August. Then what would you knuckleheads be writing? Think of an employee of yours who says they're burnt out and cant get up everyday and report to work. Do you beg them to come back and expect the same great employee?

If what Silverstein wrote is true, this is Brett being Brett and TT doing the job were paying him to do. All emotions aside, you have to side with TT on this.

sheepshead
07-12-2008, 07:47 AM
By the way, how much sleep did TT get last night???

sheepshead
07-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Packers: Sources say Favre reneged on deal to return
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY — Brett Favre had his chance to come back to the Green Bay Packers at the end of March, but the legendary quarterback reneged on an agreement then to unretire — part of the reason why the Packers aren't now welcoming back the legendary quarterback.

According to two NFL sources, Favre informed the Packers during the annual NFL meetings in late March — less than a month after his tearful March 6 retirement news conference — that he wanted to play again. FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer first reported that information Friday afternoon.

The State Journal's sources along with Glazer's sources said that, at the time, Packers coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson told Favre they would welcome him back, and plans were made for him to return — a colossal commitment to a player who had just publicly said he no longer wanted to play anymore, wiping away tears while saying he didn't have "anything left to give."

In fact, Thompson — he has been criticized publicly by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, and by members of Favre's family for supposedly not wanting the quarterback back — made the final call on whether the team would welcome Favre's return. Thompson agreed to bring back Favre, even though it meant forcing heir apparent Aaron Rodgers to sit yet another year behind the future Hall of Famer.

The Packers went so far as to charter a plane to Mississippi to finalize the agreement.

But two days before the meeting was set to take place, Favre called and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and had decided that he wanted to stay retired.

Burned by the change of heart, the team decided to commit fully to moving on without Favre, the sources said. Rodgers was told the starting job was his, and the Packers drafted a pair of quarterbacks — second-rounder Brian Brohm and seventh-rounder Matt Flynn — as backups. They also began altering the offense to accomodate Rodgers' strengths.

Then, three weeks ago, Favre contacted McCarthy and said he had the "itch" to play again, and the team was cool to the idea. That led to what transpired Friday, when the Packers received a letter from Cook asking for Favre's unconditional release.

Sources said the team has no intention of releasing Favre, however. Instead, the Packers would be more likely to try to trade Favre, to control his destination and to prevent him going from an NFC North Division rival.

The Minnesota Vikings and the Chicago Bears could be interested in Favre, who would be considered a significant upgrade over the Vikings' (Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte) and the Bears' (Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton) options at quarterback.

The Bears reached Super Bowl XL two years ago despite Grossman's inconsistent play. The Vikings, meanwhile, are a chic pick for Super Bowl XLII, and coach Brad Childress runs a version of the West Coast offense. Favre's former quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, Darrell Bevell, is the Vikings' offensive coordinator, while ex-Packers Ryan Longwell, Darren Sharper and Robert Ferguson are on the roster.

The Packers are scheduled to retire Favre's No. 4 at a ceremony at Lambeau Field during the Sept. 8 regular-season opener against the Vikings on "Monday Night Football."

But sources said it's virtually impossible that the Packers would ever let Favre go to such a rival. The team would rather keep Favre on its roster as a backup to Aaron Rodgers — an incredibly awkward situation in its own right — than let him play for the Vikings.

Other teams that could be interested in Favre are the Miami Dolphins, the Carolina Panthers, the New York Jets and the Atlanta Falcons, Favre's first team when he entered the NFL as a second-round pick in 1991.

If any team already has contacted Favre or Cook about the possibility of him playing for them, that team would have engaged in tampering, a violation of NFL rules.

According to one NFL source, Cook had contacted the Vikings about Favre playing for them, given his close relationship with Bevell — a former University of Wisconsin star — and the offense being similar to the one the Packers ran under former coach Mike Sherman.

In April, the Los Angeles Times reported — and the State Journal confirmed — that Cook had been quietly talking to teams to gauge interest should Favre return. Since Cook and Favre opted to send the letter about being released, it's possible those conversations could have reached more serious levels than allowed by NFL rules.

Cook's letter to the Packers on Friday asked the Packers to release his client "with no strings attached," and stated that Favre does not want to be traded because he wants the freedom to choose the team for which he wants to play.

Regardless, sources said, the next step for the Packers would be to start talking to possible trading partners to gauge Favre's trade value, because they would want to get a deal done before players report to training camp July 27.

The 38-year-old Favre had a renaissance season in 2007, completing a career-best 66.5 percent of his regular-season passes for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions for a 95.7 passer rating (his best since 1995) while leading the team with the youngest opening-day roster in the NFL to the NFC Championship Game at Lambeau Field, where the Packers lost in overtime to the eventual Super Bowl XLII-champion New York Giants.

twoseven
07-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Favre has been wishy washy for a few years now, every time he was given the time he needed to make up his mind. He earned that right, and each time he made a decision and stayed with it. I don't remember one single time that he changed his mind after the fact. Now he finally retires, gives his speech and is done, but not really. Ready to unretire in March, TT and MM are on board to WELCOME HIM BACK and charter the plane, and Brett changes his mind again. TT and MM do a U-turn AGAIN, make necessary moves to get Arod ready and draft two QBs. Brett changes his mind for the third time since the NFCC. TT and MM should undo their last 3 months of work? Hey, my opinion here, but give me a fucking break. I am a Packer fan. I didn't grow up watching the Green Bay Favres in the 70s and 80s and I won't be watching the Favres during the next 30-40 years if I live that long, I'll be watching the Packers. I could never thank Brett enough for what he has done in his time here, but he is making this about him now and it has already put the team in a shitty situation that is sure to leave many fans pissed off one way or another. I won't go into what it might do to team chemistry and how it might affect the futures of ARod, TT, etc. I'm sorry, but for all of #4s accomplishments he has not earned the right to put himself before the good of the team and the organization this time, not considering how he has handled things since our season ended. He was given plenty of opportunity to return, he said NO, I'm done, don't have it anymore, this time it's for good..and apparently he did this not once, but twice. Do TT and MM run the team or not? I am not ok with the fate of Arod and TT hangin in the balance because Brett just can't make up his mind, again. Unfortuately I think it's too late for that. TT and ARod were already going to be under the micorscope ths season, Favre has effectivley amplified he magnification by about 1000 with his latest personal battle concerning what he wants to do with his future. I'm tired of the entire soap opera that has become Brett Favre, and I spent the last 15+ years loving him like everyone else. However, that love does not trump my love for the team. My loyalty lies with the organization, not Brett. I hope GB will do what is best for the team, cause that's who I was cheering for long before Brett became a Packer and I'll still be dying for the team every Sunday for 40 more seasons (just like the last 30+) when Favre is long gone. I'm sure plenty will not agree with me, I don't expect them to, just my opinon on things.

FavreChild
07-12-2008, 08:04 AM
The only thing the Packers did wrong - in my view - is that they did a poor job of planning for this scenario. As reports now indicate that Brett was considering coming back in late March, they knew there was certainly at least a possibility this would happen. They should have been better prepared to handle it, at least from a communication perspective. Right now, this controversy is not what's best for the team or the fans.

This is a really, really unfortunate situation. I guess it's human nature to want to blame someone, but I don't really think it's that simple.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 08:08 AM
The only thing the Packers did wrong - in my view - is that they did a poor job of planning for this scenario. As reports now indicate that Brett was considering coming back in late March, they knew there was certainly at least a possibility this would happen. They should have been better prepared to handle it, at least from a communication perspective. Right now, this controversy is not what's best for the team or the fans.

This is a really, really unfortunate situation. I guess it's human nature to want to blame someone, but I don't really think it's that simple.

Packer and NFL SOURCES say it's Favre's fault.

Spaulding
07-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Dead on TwoSeven. Going to be a kick in the nuts watching Brett play for another team but TT has to put the Packers first. If the best thing (regardless of Brett's MVP like play last year) is to move forward without him then I trust in TT. His job depends on putting the best TEAM forward. I have to believe that he and MM see something in the play of Rodgers within the offensive scheme and the team chemistry that has been building that leads them to believe they have an equal chance without Favre. On the surface it seems like a no-brainer to bring back Brett and go for another shot at the Superbowl but for what goes on under the covers within the organization it might not be that simple or what looks like the right choice (bring Brett back) is actually not the correct one.

Again, given the good work that TT's done the last few years I'm in the camp that he's doing what's best for the team. His job and likely car windows, knee caps, etc. are staked on that now.

I still dream of this all working out and #4 playing for the Pack so I can watch him play one more time at Laumbeau in Green and Gold but I'll be all too happy when this annual drama is ended.

It's like my wife's favorite soap, "Days of our Packers"

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 08:27 AM

What?

stop being a humble Holly and give some strong views :!: It's too easy to wash the scenaro away and not give views :lol:

BTW, I sure am glad I bought the 2004 NFL Pro Bowl Favre Jersey recently as opposed to a Packer Favre jersey; I'll be sure to wear that to the posters game if I make it. Maybe I'll bring some cheap turtle T Shirts for others as well :lol:

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Dead on TwoSeven. Going to be a kick in the nuts watching Brett play for another team but TT has to put the Packers first.

If TT were putting the Packers first, there's no WAY IN HELL he'd risk a superbowl run on an untested starter when he has a QB on his roster who played at an MVP level last year. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Thompson is having a tantrum because Favre isn't fitting his jello mold.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:29 AM

I'm just curious, how could this have been better. I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't know what could have been done (communication wise) to make this better. There are about 33% of the fans that are going to rally around Brett no matter what. It seems to me that the organization did a great job with Harlan and Murphy greasing the wheels a couple days ago to prepare fans for what might come and then they released a pretty good statement saying how they were going to handle it. It's not a good situaiton, but I'm not sure it was preventable with the way Brett handled it.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Dead on TwoSeven. Going to be a kick in the nuts watching Brett play for another team but TT has to put the Packers first.

If TT were putting the Packers first, there's no WAY IN HELL he'd risk a superbowl run on an untested starter when he has a QB on his roster who played at an MVP level last year. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Thompson is having a tantrum because Favre isn't fitting his jello mold.

There was no way he'd risk it on a group of misfits at RB, Safety, WR or OL either but he did. TT is a risk taker, a bold GM. He's not affraid to fail, only focused on succeeding. Fear (esspecially of failure) is a crippling emotion.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 08:34 AM

There was no way he'd risk it on a group of misfits at RB, Safety, WR or OL either but he did. TT is a risk taker, a bold GM. He's not affraid to fail, only focused on succeeding. Not affraid to fail sounds stupid to many, but it's admired by me as I believe it often leads to great things. Fear (esspecially of failure) is a crippling emotion.

I agree that it takes stones for TT to tell Favre he has no need for him. While I'd bring Favre back in a platoon type situation and give AROD time as well, I must admit I have a little more respect for TT for holding to his mojo.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 08:40 AM
There was no way he'd risk it on a group of misfits at RB, Safety, WR or OL either but he did. TT is a risk taker, a bold GM. He's not affraid to fail, only focused on succeeding. Fear (esspecially of failure) is a crippling emotion.

And Favre bailed his ass out with perfect play. The O line sucked, the running backs sucked, and Favre kept the offense working for over half the year. "Thanks Brett, for bailing my ass out. Now get the fuck out. I don't like guys who change their mind, even if they DO play at MVP level." Love, Ted

falco
07-12-2008, 08:41 AM

There was no way he'd risk it on a group of misfits at RB, Safety, WR or OL either but he did. TT is a risk taker, a bold GM. He's not affraid to fail, only focused on succeeding. Not affraid to fail sounds stupid to many, but it's admired by me as I believe it often leads to great things. Fear (esspecially of failure) is a crippling emotion.

I agree that it takes stones for TT to tell Favre he has no need for him. While I'd bring Favre back in a platoon type situation and give AROD time as well, I must admit I have a little more respect for TT for holding to his mojo.

it's been said that Wolf hung his hat on Favre being the QB of the future - TT is doing the same on Rodgers.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 08:41 AM
While I'd bring Favre back in a platoon type situation and give AROD time as well, I must admit I have a little more respect for TT for holding to his mojo.

Why the hell would you platoon them?

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:44 AM

And Favre bailed his ass out with perfect play. The O line sucked, the running backs sucked, and Favre kept the offense working for over half the year. "Thanks Brett, for bailing my ass out. Now get the fuck out. I don't like guys who change their mind, even if they DO play at MVP level." Love, Ted

MrAyn, I'm a little suprised that you feel this way and I'm glad I asked you about your name because every time I addressed you I felt like I was mumbling some wierd unknown word and it through me for a loop.

Really thouogh, if you feel this way, why couldn't Brett bail them out in 2005?

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:47 AM

:shock:

This is just strange, but after the worst possible sinerio for a very rabid and emotional fan base, it somehow seems that Ted Thompson has gained respect and support by many. I'm suprised by this vote. If I had to guess, I would say no matter what ever happened, Brett would get 3 times the support of Ted in any poll just by including their names. Now Ted decides not to bring him back and his haters don't even hate him for it, they see conviction. I'm truely shocked but proud of Packer fans for having open minds when it's very hard to.

falco
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
gil brandt on NFL network this AM said a week ago the public was in favre's favor 80-20

based on the most recent info, he said it is much closer to 50-50

he also sympathized with TT and said that all this crap from Favre's family & friends about TT mistreating Favre is merely a ploy to leverage Favre's return

Gil Brandt is freaking awesome so obviously this is all true.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:56 AM
gil brandt on NFL network this AM said a week ago the public was in favre's favor 80-20

based on the most recent info, he said it is much closer to 50-50

he also sympathized with TT and said that all this crap from Favre's family & friends about TT mistreating Favre is merely a ploy to leverage Favre's return

Gil Brandt is freaking awesome so obviously this is all true.

For sure. The Favre camp pulled out all stops. The Packers have a history of keeping players dirtly laundry very secret even when it hurts themselves doing it. The Packers are delicately yet decisively standing behind moving forward. And I think it's very important to remember that it's their jobs that are on the line, not ours. They are truely doing their best here and their best has a history of being pretty good so it's hard to be too upset without the end results to back it.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 08:56 AM

:shock:

This is just strange, but after the worst possible sinerio for a very rabid and emotional fan base, it somehow seems that Ted Thompson has gained respect and support by many. I'm suprised by this vote. If I had to guess, I would say no matter what ever happened, Brett would get 3 times the support of Ted in any poll just by including their names. Now Ted decides not to bring him back and his haters don't even hate him for it, they see conviction. I'm truely shocked but proud of Packer fans for having open minds when it's very hard to.

I'm not sure if you'd classify me as a hater; I certainly use to be.

But I think those on the fence with TT will get the pitch forks out much faster then what is deserved if TT shoves Favre out the door and AROD is not successful. Just my view.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Yes, if the Packers flop it could get pretty ugly, esspecially if Favre has success.

On the flip side, if the Packers tear it up and Favre has a bad year I think the Packer brass will have exited the Wolf/Favre shadow and truely entered into their own era.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Yes, if the Packers flop it could get pretty ugly, esspecially if Favre has success.

On the flip side, if the Packers tear it up and Favre has a bad year I think the Packer brass will have exited the Wolf/Favre shadow and truely entered into their own era.

Absolutely true

I hope Green Bay gets a 3rd round pick (to me that's the highest they will possibly get) if they trade Favre.

If Green Bay does not win the Super Bowl I'd like to see the team they pitch Favre to win it all.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Absolutely true

I hope Green Bay gets a 3rd round pick (to me that's the highest they will possibly get) if they trade Favre.

If Green Bay does not win the Super Bowl I'd like to see the team they pitch Favre to win it all.

i'd like to see favre go 2-14 and stink it up, but thats just me.

if favre had been told after 4-12 that we were moving on, I would root for him to come back and win a superbowl

there's no reason he can't be guiding this team to the big game this year, so it will kill me to see him do it somewhere else and know "what might have been"

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 09:12 AM

Absolutely true

i'd like to see favre go 2-14 and stink it up, but thats just me.

if favre had been told after 4-12 that we were moving on, I would root for him to come back and win a superbowl

there's no reason he can't be guiding this team to the big game this year, so it will kill me to see him do it somewhere else and know "what might have been"

There is a reason he can't lead this team to the Super Bowl
TT does not want him. When I look at everything, even how it's came down, I still can't wish bad things on Favre. He wants to play in GB w/o a doubt

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 09:16 AM

This isn't the showdown many in here expected but the ball is definitely in TT's court. I'd recommend welcoming Fvare back but TT won't use that sense.

Also in his defense, TT has his orders. Favre and cost ($12 million) to the Packers.

PACKERS FOREVER!

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Woodbuck, I don't know how much the Packers woudl make if Favre came back but I'll bet it's 12 million extra easy. This isn't a money decision. IT's a football decision made by people who are paid to be better at it than you. It's tough to watch for all of us but it's happening.

GBRulz
07-12-2008, 09:26 AM
But I think those on the fence with TT will get the pitch forks out much faster then what is deserved if TT shoves Favre out the door and AROD is not successful. Just my view.

You are absolutely right about that, B.

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 09:27 AM

This isn't the showdown many in here expected but the ball is definitely in TT's court. I'd recommend welcoming Fvare back but TT won't use that sense.

Also in his defense, TT has his orders. Favre and cost ($12 million) to the Packers.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Really? I see it the exact opposite way. The ball is in Brett's court. I don't think anyone would fault TT for letting Favre start for the Pack this year despite the drama. Will Brett apologize to the Packers and be the starting QB this year like he should?

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:28 AM
As an avid TT supporter I'd like to promise everyone that if we sink into the doldrums of the NFL under Thompsons command that I will have zero excuses. I see a very strong team filled with great athletes who are also great football players and guys who love the sport and love to be a part of a team. I see them bonding together and playing at a higher level than the sum of their parts but if they don't and it carries on, TT will surely be fired and he will have very little support from anyone, even his most adiment supporters. A part of his genius is that I don't think he really thinks about it but if it happens I'm sure he'll look back and know why.

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2008, 09:53 AM
stop being a humble Holly and give some strong views :!: It's too easy to wash the scenaro away and not give views :lol:

BTW, I sure am glad I bought the 2004 NFL Pro Bowl Favre Jersey recently as opposed to a Packer Favre jersey; I'll be sure to wear that to the posters game if I make it. Maybe I'll bring some cheap turtle T Shirts for others as well :lol:

I'm sorry that I'm not that bent out of shape. I was ready to move forward. Favre coming back is a good thing because the Packers can get compensation for somebody they thought was retired. As long as Favre goes to the right team, I'm all for this. If Baltimore gets him, I'll be rooting for a Packers-Ravens Super Bowl. Could be a win-win situation for the Packers.

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 09:58 AM
That's about the only win-win for the Packers. Admittedly that would be a win-win for me personally as well.

Tony Oday
07-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Didnt read the whole thread but the FoxSports report of TT and MM flying a jet down to Mississippi to pick up Favre and then Favre changing his mind AGAIN I would say its our little prima donna that is to blame...

Lurker64
07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
WHO wants what is best for the fans?

Who cares what's best for the fans? The fans don't even know what's best for the fans. The fans are fans of the team, and if the team wins the fans will follow. "Making the fans happy" is the least important thing right now.

cpk1994
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM
WHO wants what is best for the fans? Sure the fuck not TT,otherwise hewould put the QB on the field in 08 that gives them the best cance of WINNING. To say Favre is only thinking about himself is wrong,uless you are going to say the same thing about a crybaby Rodgers that threatens to walk if Brett comes back. How can TT say he is thinking of the future when they could have success now with Brett and in the future with Rodgers,if Rodgers were the team player he CLAIMS to be. This is not about moving on with Rodgers. This is about TT showing the world that he runs the ship,and if he lats Brett Favre go that ship will be named Titanic 2.Look, asshole. Don't bring Rodgers into this. He hasn't said a goddamned word other than his opinion. You obviously hate ARod ,fine. But don't make shit up to fit your agenda.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM

You are absolutely right about that, B.

Clearly this isn't the path of least resistance for Ted.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:44 AM
WHO wants what is best for the fans? Sure the fuck not TT,otherwise hewould put the QB on the field in 08 that gives them the best cance of WINNING. To say Favre is only thinking about himself is wrong,uless you are going to say the same thing about a crybaby Rodgers that threatens to walk if Brett comes back. How can TT say he is thinking of the future when they could have success now with Brett and in the future with Rodgers,if Rodgers were the team player he CLAIMS to be. This is not about moving on with Rodgers. This is about TT showing the world that he runs the ship,and if he lats Brett Favre go that ship will be named Titanic 2.

Dude it's not about what's best for the fans. Not at all. AT ALL. It's about what's best for the long term success of the TEAM. Not it's fans.

You don't get it about Rodgers either. Rodgers has already given up a significant portion of his NFL career - and millions of dollars on top of it - to hold a clipboard and watch Favre do his thing. I don't blame him at all for getting sick of it. Rodgers is a starting QB, and if he's not starting for us then I don't blame him for going somewhere he would be starting. Especially since he's already been promised by our GM that he would be the guy this year.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Those same reports say that TT and M3 were open to the idea in late March and were ready to fly down to speak with Favre about it, but Favre changed his mind again and called it off. You can't really prepare for the draft and the offseason with the mindset that Favre MIGHT be back. Either Favre WILL be back, or Rodgers WILL be the starter. No maybes.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Really? I see it the exact opposite way. The ball is in Brett's court.

Brett put the ball in the Packers court yesterday when he went public with his demand for his unconditional release.

The Packers put the ball back in Brett's court 20 minutes later when they told him they'd deal with him after he filed his paperwork.

So that ball is back in Brett's court, for now.

imscott72
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM

Absolutely true

Why would we only get a 3rd when Montana got a player plus a 1st and a 3rd? I think he has to go to the highest bidder assuming it's not in the division.

imscott72
07-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Woodbuck, I don't know how much the Packers woudl make if Favre came back but I'll bet it's 12 million extra easy. This isn't a money decision. IT's a football decision made by people who are paid to be better at it than you. It's tough to watch for all of us but it's happening.

Exactly. This has nothing to do with money on the Packers part anyhow..

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Why would we only get a 3rd when Montana got a player plus a 1st and a 3rd?

inflation?

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Absolutely true

Why would we only get a 3rd when Montana got a player plus a 1st and a 3rd? I think he has to go to the highest bidder assuming it's not in the division.

Was Montana 38 years old when he was traded? I'm not entirely sure, I'd have to look it up, but I don't think he was that old. If he wasn't, then there's your answer. A first round pick is supposed to be used to build your team for the future. A 38 year old QB does nothing for the long term success of your team, so I would not use a 1st round pick to get him. Even if it's Brett Favre.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:04 AM
As an avid TT supporter I'd like to promise everyone that if we sink into the doldrums of the NFL under Thompsons command that I will have zero excuses.

If? I think when should be the operative word. Sooner or later every team is going to have a bad season. And as soon as the Packers do, you can bet it'll be break out the pitch fork time for the I HATE TED crowd. And they're an angry bunch, after having to bite their tongues after the 13-3 romp last year.

Freak Out
07-12-2008, 11:04 AM
There is no reason #4 can't come back to the Packers IMO. If it takes reworking both Favre's and Rodgers contract then do it. Give #4 a one year deal and give Rodgers an extension. Who gives a shit about a 4th round draft pick next (I think that is the number most bandied about?) year when TT the draft master will end up with three extra anyway. It just sickens me to think we might trade the best QB ever for a 3rd or a 4th...I don't care how old he is.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Because I think it's widely believed that the Chiefs way overpaid.

imscott72
07-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Absolutely true

Was Montana 38 years old when he was traded? I'm not entirely sure, I'd have to look it up, but I don't think he was that old. If he wasn't, then there's your answer. A first round pick is supposed to be used to build your team for the future. A 38 year old QB does nothing for the long term success of your team, so I would not use a 1st round pick to get him. Even if it's Brett Favre.

I dont' remember how old Montana was, but I do know he wasn't even 100% healthy like Favre is. I'd be terribly disappointed if we didn't get at least a 1st for him if not a 1st and a 5th or something similar.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
As an avid TT supporter I'd like to promise everyone that if we sink into the doldrums of the NFL under Thompsons command that I will have zero excuses.

If? I think when should be the operative word. Sooner or later every team is going to have a bad season. And as soon as the Packers do, you can bet it'll be break out the pitch fork time for the I HATE TED crowd. And they're an angry bunch, after having to bite their tongues after the 13-3 romp last year.

It would likely be later rather than sooner. Remember the 21 starters not named Aaron Rodgers are pretty good too.

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I dont' remember how old Montana was, but I do know he wasn't even 100% healthy like Favre is. I'd be terribly disappointed if we didn't get at least a 1st for him if not a 1st and a 5th or something similar.

He was 37

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:18 AM

He was 37

Brett turns 39 in October.

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 11:20 AM
The only thing the Packers did wrong - in my view - is that they did a poor job of planning for this scenario.

Excuse the nitpit, but what POSSIBLE plan could they make to deal with this? They already dealt with yet one more Favre U-turn (this time back to retirement) in late spring. At some point you have to say "enough." The only reasonable plan was to cross their fingers and hope Favre stayed retired.

As John Lennon sang, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 11:24 AM
I think some people forget what a "hard choice" means. It means there is no way to know which is the correct path, and bad consequences possible either way. That's why they call it "hard."

There are good arguments for allowing Favre to return. Good arguments with moving forward with Mr. Rodgers. NOBODY can possibly say which approach is going to work out best. So TT is gonna make his choice. If it works out he is no genius, neither is he a dope if it proves wrong.

twoseven
07-12-2008, 11:34 AM

If TT were putting the Packers first, there's no WAY IN HELL he'd risk a superbowl run on an untested starter when he has a QB on his roster who played at an MVP level last year. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Thompson is having a tantrum because Favre isn't fitting his jello mold.What else makes no sense: Brett has one of his best years on a team that looks very strong with a bright future, Favre finally has weapons, one game from SB and so then amidst all of this excitement and hope for 2008 Brett..drumroll please..retires, he does so because he says he has nothing left to give and cannot do it anymore, end of story, Pack mourns his leaving but respects his choice, pack publically and emphaticaly states AR is the man and team has moved forward supporting their new QB as they should, Brett will be honored immediately by being one of a very short list to have his number retired, sadness in GB but hope and anticipation of a new era begins, Brett then privately says he wants to return in March, the Packers privately say come on back even after they have publically called AR the man and GBP his team, Brett then says oops I changed my mind again, Packers say ok-- your decison again, and they move forward again, they draft TWO quarterbacks and change the offense for AR, then Brett gets an itch, he calls all of the info just rumor and says he's staying retired, meanwhile his family is taking cheap shots (oh his behalf?) at upper management. Favre puts TT and team in a no-win situation by demanding a release, Favre thinks team owes it to him to put the team in a crappy position by letting him go anywhere he wants (like MN, for instance). now Favre is pissed at the team for not complying with his every want and need after his i can't do it anymore so i'm retired- wait i'm not retired in march-retired again in march-now i have an itch in june saga? he has put himself and the team and upper management in a shitty position..and it's somehow TTs fault that it all happend. who loses? the fans that have loved the Pack and Favre for a long time, the organization for damning the legacy that is Favre and potentially it's future by alienating it's new QB, and TT who loses maybe the most no matter what he decides. what a wonderful way top repay the GM that has done a pretty good job putting a good young team together and rescuing it from salary cap hell just a few years back. I wonder if Brett cares. THIS RIDICULOUS DRAMA ALSO MAKES NO SENSE.

Argument some will make: What Brett hs done for GB is legendary and therefore he should be given a free lifetime pass to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of how it will effect GB, the team, or its fans. Point taken. My response: Is Brett more important than the team and its future? Was his legacy a solo act? Did he do all of those wonderful things in the mid-late 90s all by himself? Quick quiz..number of MVPS won, superbowls played in, and SBs won by Brett Favre without Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Reggie White, Leroy Butler (and a few other notables) right there with him...I LOVE THE MAN. Brett is one of the greatest ever, but football is a TEAM sport, and he is NOT solely responsible for all that has made Green Bay Titletown USA over the course of the last eighty years.

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
What else makes no sense: Brett has one of his best years on a team that looks very strong with a bright future, Favre finally has weapons, one game from SB and so then amidst all of this excitement and hope for 2008 Brett..drumroll please..retires, he does so because he says he has nothing left to give and cannot do it anymore, end of story, Pack mourns his leaving but respects his choice, pack publically and emphaticaly states AR is the man and team has moved forward supporting their new QB as they should, Brett will be honored immediately by being one of a very short list to have his number retired, sadness in GB but hope and anticipation of a new era begins, Brett then privately says he wants to return in March, the Packers privately say come on back even after they have publically called AR the man and GBP his team, Brett then says oops I changed my mind again, Packers say ok-- your decison again, and they move forward again, they draft TWO quarterbacks and change the offense for AR, then Brett gets an itch, he calls all of the info just rumor and says he's staying retired, meanwhile his family is taking cheap shots (oh his behalf?) at upper management. Favre puts TT and team in a no-win situation by demanding a release, Favre thinks team owes it to him to put the team in a crappy position by letting him go anywhere he wants (like MN, for instance). now Favre is pissed at the team for not complying with his every want and need after his i can't do it anymore so i'm retired- wait i'm not retired in march-retired again in march-now i have an itch in june saga? he has put himself and the team and upper management in a shitty position..and it's somehow TTs fault that it all happend. who loses? the fans that have loved the Pack and Favre for a long time, the organization for damning the legacy that is Favre and potentially it's future by alienating it's new QB, and TT who loses maybe the most no matter what he decides. what a wonderful way top repay the GM that has done a pretty good job putting a good young team together and rescuing it from salary cap hell just a few years back. I wonder if Brett cares. THIS RIDICULOUS DRAMA ALSO MAKES NO SENSE.

Argument some will make: What Brett hs done for GB is legendary and therefore he should be given a free lifetime pass to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of how it will effect GB, the team, or its fans. Point taken. My response: Is Brett more important than the team and its future? Was his legacy a solo act? Did he do all of those wonderful things in the mid-late 90s all by himself? Quick quiz..number of MVPS won, superbowls played in, and SBs won by Brett Favre without Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Reggie White, Leroy Butler (and a few other notables) right there with him...I LOVE THE MAN. Brett is one of the greatest ever, but football is a TEAM sport, and he is NOT solely responsible for all that has made Green Bay Titletown USA over the course of the last eighty years.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10900/brilliant.jpg

cheers to that post 27, Brilliant!

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
As John Lennon sang, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

And as Brett seems to be singing:

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four."

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Absolutely true

Draft picks are valued more then they were in the past IMO; GM's are far more conservative to give away draft picks in our era.

And there has been more drama in this ordeal than SF.

With every team knowing TT wants to get rid of Favre we're on our way to getting lowballed for a guy who is statistically coming off an unbelievable year

twoseven
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
cheers to that post 27, Brilliant!Now tell me why I feel like the world's biggest asshole for thinking it. This whole things sucks.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Absolutely true

I'm guilty of being a win now guy; which means I favor bringing Favre back.
I'd be all for trading him if we get a 1st round pick; in this era IMO that won't happen

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 11:56 AM

It would likely be later rather than sooner. Remember the 21 starters not named Aaron Rodgers are pretty good too.

That is what TT has done so well; IMO Rodgers will have to be brutal for Green Bay not win at least 9 games....probably putting them in the playoffs. He really doesn't have to be that good to win 10 and win the division because the surrounding cast is solid. He will have to be good to match a 13 win season.

The Shadow
07-12-2008, 11:58 AM
http://sports.aol.com/voices/jensen/_a/favre-should-pack-it-in/20080712084309990001

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 11:59 AM
cheers to that post 27, Brilliant!Now tell me why I feel like the world's biggest asshole for thinking it. This whole things sucks.

Thats the reality of it and it makes perfect sense to me. Don't take any of this drama with Favre personal. If you can help it

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 12:00 PM

If TT were putting the Packers first, there's no WAY IN HELL he'd risk a superbowl run on an untested starter when he has a QB on his roster who played at an MVP level last year. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Thompson is having a tantrum because Favre isn't fitting his jello mold.What else makes no sense: Brett has one of his best years on a team that looks very strong with a bright future, Favre finally has weapons, one game from SB and so then amidst all of this excitement and hope for 2008 Brett..drumroll please..retires, he does so because he says he has nothing left to give and cannot do it anymore, end of story, Pack mourns his leaving but respects his choice, pack publically and emphaticaly states AR is the man and team has moved forward supporting their new QB as they should, Brett will be honored immediately by being one of a very short list to have his number retired, sadness in GB but hope and anticipation of a new era begins, Brett then privately says he wants to return in March, the Packers privately say come on back even after they have publically called AR the man and GBP his team, Brett then says oops I changed my mind again, Packers say ok-- your decison again, and they move forward again, they draft TWO quarterbacks and change the offense for AR, then Brett gets an itch, he calls all of the info just rumor and says he's staying retired, meanwhile his family is taking cheap shots (oh his behalf?) at upper management. Favre puts TT and team in a no-win situation by demanding a release, Favre thinks team owes it to him to put the team in a crappy position by letting him go anywhere he wants (like MN, for instance). now Favre is pissed at the team for not complying with his every want and need after his i can't do it anymore so i'm retired- wait i'm not retired in march-retired again in march-now i have an itch in june saga? he has put himself and the team and upper management in a shitty position..and it's somehow TTs fault that it all happend. who loses? the fans that have loved the Pack and Favre for a long time, the organization for damning the legacy that is Favre and potentially it's future by alienating it's new QB, and TT who loses maybe the most no matter what he decides. what a wonderful way top repay the GM that has done a pretty good job putting a good young team together and rescuing it from salary cap hell just a few years back. I wonder if Brett cares. THIS RIDICULOUS DRAMA ALSO MAKES NO SENSE.

What Brett hs done for GB is legendary and therefore he should be given a free lifetime pass to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of how it will effect GB, the team, or its fans. Point taken.

That's total bullshit. Favre shouldn't be given a free pass. But all the I'm retired, I'm not retired back and forth is based on NFL and Packer SOURCES - none of whom have been named. Who the hell are they? WHy the *uck should I believe that crap. And even if it's true, the end result is that favre appears to really want to come back. He's not more important than the team, but having him is in the best interests of the team. As far as I can tell, there's no harm done. But perhaps, more "Packer" and "NFL" "sources" (to be named later - or ever?) will prove me wrong.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 12:00 PM
http://sports.aol.com/voices/jensen/_a/favre-should-pack-it-in/20080712084309990001

I imagine you surf the net looking for this stuff :lol:

If he wants to play he should play
If TT wants to trade him he should get a draft pick

I hope it gets done fast