PDA

View Full Version : MARIUCCI--""FAVRE FELT ON THE OUTSIDE""

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 12:47 AM
GREAT READ

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/default.aspx

Freak Out
07-12-2008, 02:17 AM
You have to give him the chance to come back and compete for the job. If he is as healthy as he tells Mooch he will beat out Rodgers and lead us to the SB.

Do the right thing TT.

Packerarcher
07-12-2008, 06:43 AM
TT doesn't want Favre back because he didn't come back on Ted's terms. Yet a lot of people are calling Brett the arrogant egomaniac,seems to me old TT has a bit of an ego problem not to mention being on a power trip.

PackerTimer
07-12-2008, 07:37 AM
TT doesn't want Favre back because he didn't come back on Ted's terms. Yet a lot of people are calling Brett the arrogant egomaniac,seems to me old TT has a bit of an ego problem not to mention being on a power trip.

WOW! TT did welcome Favre back already once. Favre flip floppedand decided he didn't want to play. They've been through this game once before and they got burned. They then moved one and drafted two qb's. Now Favre has decided again he wants to play. When will he change his mind this time? August, September, October?

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 08:16 AM
You have to give him the chance to come back and compete for the job. If he is as healthy as he tells Mooch he will beat out Rodgers and lead us to the SB.

Do the right thing TT.

I'll be very surprized after reading that article if Brett Favre remains a Packer. I'm solidly behind his needs to return to the NFL, if that is the case, as it now certainly seems. There is every idicatication that the Packer Organization or management desires Brett Favre to just formally retire. The reports soundly indicate his desire and preparation otherwise. He wants to play football and compete as is his nature and ability.

Given these circumstances and his long and distinguished service to the Packer team. I just hope that soon, we'll learn that Brett Favre was given an outright release to decide his personal future.

''Sources said the team has no intention of releasing Favre, however. Instead, the Packers would be more likely to try to trade Favre, to control his destination and to prevent him going from an NFC North Division rival.

The Minnesota Vikings and the Chicago Bears could be interested in Favre, who would be considered a significant upgrade over the Vikings' (Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte) and the Bears' (Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton) options at quarterback.''

Any trade will reflect badly on TT's future and integrity. Release Brett Favre Ted Thompson... ASAP. Favre has every right to play football and start on a team that will respect and need him as their QB. The trade option will tarnish the Packer Organization's image. You don't shackle and just trade 'a Legend' and first ballot future HOFer. You don't shackle, arguably 'the Greatest Packer of All Time'.

TT has to announce soon that Brett Favre is released with well wishes and let the cards fall as the will. The damn games must STOP soon.

Packerarcher
07-12-2008, 08:27 AM

WOW! TT did welcome Favre back already once. Favre flip floppedand decided he didn't want to play. They've been through this game once before and they got burned. They then moved one and drafted two qb's. Now Favre has decided again he wants to play. When will he change his mind this time? August, September, October?

Do you REALLY think that Brett Favre being the competitor he is would "back out" during the season. Get with it people,the man has made the modern day Green Bay Packers what they are. Without Brett there would have been no 13-3 season last year,no 13-3 last year and TT isn't Football exec of the year. So had Brett not played last yrear and the Pack been under 500 wich they would have been with out him. So how many of you would be leg humping TT then,none you would all be saying we need Brett back. So when TT fucks this up and lets brett go and Hangnail Rodgers gets hurt ,and he will you all will be saying the same thing. Bottom line TT nedds to suck it up and appologize to Brett and beg him to play this year. TT also needs to appologize to the fans for the way he and the Packer organazation has handled arguably the most liked player ever in Green Bay. Then if Brett were to be playing in Green Bay in 08,HE needs to appologize for the way he and his people have handled some things. He then needs to tell everyone he is 1000% committed to taking GB to the Super Bowl this year and is ready to play some football and get all this behind him. Arrron Rodgers just needs to sit down shut up an be happy that he is a back up,because as a back up he will get hurt less.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Favre formally seeks release from Packers, sources say

By Chris Mortensen ESPN.com

Updated: July 11, 2008, 3:42 PM ET

HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

During a conference call on Tuesday that included Packers general manager Ted Thompson, Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Favre and Cook, sources say that the quarterback stated emphatically that he wanted to play again.

When Favre was reminded by the Packers' brass that it was in March when the quarterback said publicly and privately that he wasn't 100 percent committed to football, sources said Favre acknowledged his state of mind at the time, but added that he never felt he was a 100 percent committed in March of previous years, either.

Favre felt he had to make a decision to retire because the Packers were pressing him for an answer, a source said.

During the same conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy were openly receptive or enthused about Favre's desire to un-retire, the sources said, prompting Favre to direct Cook to request his release from the Packers. Favre has three years remaining on his contract for a total of $39 million.

He currently is on the reserve-retired list.

Favre wants a mutual parting rather than having to force the Packers' hand by writing a letter to request his reinstatement to the active 80-man roster. Under league policy, the team would have to comply or release him.

Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached."

Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for any other franchise.

Favre has been in communication with McCarthy during the past month about his desire to play but until this week had not spoken with Thompson.

Neither Thompson nor McCarthy were available for comment on Friday.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg.

He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing a football 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

Favre was relaxed and in a positive frame of mind, joking and telling stories about himself, former teammates and coaches. He planned to continue working out next week.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Comment woodbuck27:

I have every confidence that Ted Thompson will do the right thing and announce this week that Brett Favre was released by the Green Bay Packers.

PACKERS FOREVER.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Why, Woodbuck?

Favre never felt the need to make decisions on the Packers timeline. Why should the Packers hurt themselves to accomodate Brett's - esspecially in light of the attacks from the Favre camp? It's all buisness right now. Nothing to get emotional about, but it is what it is. The Packers are going to get what they can and send him to someone outside the division as our division desperately needs him and could come back to bite us.

Fritz
07-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Here's a piece from the middle of a JSO article:

"According to another report Friday from FOXSports.com, Thompson and McCarthy actually received word Favre wanted to return in late March, just weeks after the retirement, and decided they would be open to the idea. However, a couple of days before they were to meet with Favre to finalize his return, Favre called them and told them he had changed his mind.

According to one Journal Sentinel source, Thompson has done more than he has let on to give Favre the opportunity to return. He said Thompson wouldn’t reveal those attempts publicly because he doesn’t think it’s necessary or that it was his place to do so."

If there is truth to this, and after what's transpired I tend to believe it, then the Packers simply got tired of this whole Brett Favre tease.

I am deeply, deeply disappointed in Brett Favre. The guy has dealt with awful tragedies in his life and has grown up and become a real man. But juist a few weeks ago, the only word anyone got from Brett Favre was the text message that "it's all rumor." So after reports leaked out all over, he denied them - and at that time I posted (a few times) that he'd earned the right to be believed, so I believed him - but now it turns out he mislead people.

On top of that, it appears he used his family to air his dirty laundry in public - all this sniping that TT didn't love Brett enough. Yet it appears possible, according to the above source, that even in late March the Packers were open to Favre coming back. But after he backed out of that, how could you blame them for getting sick of the debacle?

Favre and his circle have handled this very badly. I'm feeling a little angry and betrayed by Favre right now.

This also puts the Packers in a terrible position - one that it looks like they tried to avoid (see quoted paragraph above). If, after the latest round of what one might describe as a big tease, the Packers just said last week "Oh, okay Brett, come on back," then the team risks the apparently very real possibility that Favre might change his mind - again. (He has done this several times.) They also send a message to the organization that Brett Favre's got everyone by the short hairs. Would anyone out there be okay with, say, Nick Barnett deciding to retire, then maybe change his mind, have the Packers agree to meet, then change his mind again, then three months later change his mind yet again? Come on people. 90% of the people on Packerrats would be screaming for the guy's head - selfish player, get rid of his ass, all that.

You'd damage the entire organization if you let Brett Favre's whims (more accurately, the agonized self doubts of a confused man) determine your course for the team. You'd be ceding complete control of the team to a player. Yes, superstars get treated differently, but here you're letting the whole team dangle for the sake of one person.

And all this stuff about "the Packers wouldn't be anything without Brett Favre." True. But if Favre comes back with another team without quite as much talent, then the excuse-makers will jump on that and say "if that team had more talent, Favre would've done better." It's a two way street.

I feel the Packers have held up their end of the bargain in this situation, and Brett Favre, though I feel for him as he's clearly an agonized man, has disappointed me.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:05 AM

"According to another report Friday from FOXSports.com, Thompson and McCarthy actually received word Favre wanted to return in late March, just weeks after the retirement, and decided they would be open to the idea. However, a couple of days before they were to meet with Favre to finalize his return, Favre called them and told them he had changed his mind.

According to one Journal Sentinel source, Thompson has done more than he has let on to give Favre the opportunity to return. He said Thompson wouldn’t reveal those attempts publicly because he doesn’t think it’s necessary or that it was his place to do so."

If there is truth to this, and after what's transpired I tend to believe it, then the Packers simply got tired of this whole Brett Favre tease.

I am deeply, deeply disappointed in Brett Favre. The guy has dealt with awful tragedies in his life and has grown up and become a real man. But juist a few weeks ago, the only word anyone got from Brett Favre was the text message that "it's all rumor." So after reports leaked out all over, he denied them - and at that time I posted (a few times) that he'd earned the right to be believed, so I believed him - but now it turns out he mislead people.

On top of that, it appears he used his family to air his dirty laundry in public - all this sniping that TT didn't love Brett enough. Yet it appears possible, according to the above source, that even in late March the Packers were open to Favre coming back. But after he backed out of that, how could you blame them for getting sick of the debacle?

Favre and his circle have handled this very badly. I'm feeling a little angry and betrayed by Favre right now.

This also puts the Packers in a terrible position - one that it looks like they tried to avoid (see quoted paragraph above). If, after the latest round of what one might describe as a big tease, the Packers just said last week "Oh, okay Brett, come on back," then the team risks the apparently very real possibility that Favre might change his mind - again. (He has done this several times.) They also send a message to the organization that Brett Favre's got everyone by the short hairs. Would anyone out there be okay with, say, Nick Barnett deciding to retire, then maybe change his mind, have the Packers agree to meet, then change his mind again, then three months later change his mind yet again? Come on people. 90% of the people on Packerrats would be screaming for the guy's head - selfish player, get rid of his ass, all that.

You'd damage the entire organization if you let Brett Favre's whims (more accurately, the agonized self doubts of a confused man) determine your course for the team. You'd be ceding complete control of the team to a player. Yes, superstars get treated differently, but here you're letting the whole team dangle for the sake of one person.

And all this stuff about "the Packers wouldn't be anything without Brett Favre." True. But if Favre comes back with another team without quite as much talent, then the excuse-makers will jump on that and say "if that team had more talent, Favre would've done better." It's a two way street.

I feel the Packers have held up their end of the bargain in this situation, and Brett Favre, though I feel for him as he's clearly an agonized man, has disappointed me.

FRITZ - best post i've seen yet on this subject

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't know if I'd say TT has an ego problem but he's certainly confident enough to put his job on the line by making a very hard and contraversal decision.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't know if I'd say TT has an ego problem but he's certainly confident enough to put his job on the line by making a very hard and contraversal decision.

agreed, but also, he is in a position where any decision is hard and controversial

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Come on, Falco. This was as hard and contraveral decision. I'm a huge TT backer. I've always related to his thinking patterns and I've hoped for his success almost as a way of validating a line of my own thinking. I clearly have an emotional (but logical) investment in Ted Thompson's success or failure.

That said, if he screws the pooch even I will hold his ass to the fire and will be forced to adjust my own ideas on how to take advantage of opportunity. He has to build a winner and he let go what could be a golden ticket. I don't think that it is a golden ticket and I have mroe confidence in TT than Brett at this point in their careers but at the same time I'm open to the possiblity that Brett does well and the Packers do not. If that happens and the Packers do not have success over the next few years then TT will be the guy to pay from me and just about everyone else. More than likely he would lose his job. He's made several decisions that looked liek they mgiht cost him his job in the name of doing what was right for the Packers. I see no reason why this would be any different.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Just as a FYI the Biloxi writer who is also authoring a book with Favre noted he did not believe this to be true

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Why, Woodbuck?

Favre never felt the need to make decisions on the Packers timeline. Why should the Packers hurt themselves to accomodate Brett's - esspecially in light of the attacks from the Favre camp? It's all buisness right now. Nothing to get emotional about, but it is what it is. The Packers are going to get what they can and send him to someone outside the division as our division desperately needs him and could come back to bite us.

It's about this JH:

PACKERS FOREVER!

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Just as a FYI the Biloxi writer who is also authoring a book with Favre noted he did not believe this to be true

Is that author "Ball Washer" Jones?

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:39 AM

This guy has no credibility. He's worse than Havel.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:44 AM

This guy has no credibility. He's worse than Havel.

thats like calling a lady the C word

pbmax
07-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Aren't you by definition an outsider if you retire?

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:28 AM
It's about this JH:

PACKERS FOREVER!

To be honest, this doesn't sound like PACKERS FOREVER from you Woody. It sounds a helluva lot more like PACKERS THIS YEAR.