PDA

View Full Version : Thompson: DUI A-OK, Change your mind: You're gone

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 09:09 AM
An open letter from Ted Thompson:

"Hi Packer Fans,

I realize by now that some of you may be upset that we've decided to move on from the 'Favre Era' in Green Bay. Look, Favre played some good games here and there, but you have to trust me that Rodgrs, who has never started, will be better than a guy who had MVP numbers last year. But, as you know from various anonymous sources, Favre CHANGED HIS MIND. Well, I can't put up with that. I was going to draft a QB, but I never would have wasted an all-important 7th round pick on ANOTHER QB if it hadn't been for Favre's indecision. Look, Favre is no more important than any other guy on the team. We value him no more, nor less than Ruvell Martin. Now, if he had picked up a DUI in the off season, that would have been a different story, even if he had been driving over 100MPH fleeing the police, and it had been a second or third offense. We forgive DUIs in the Packer organization. But NEVER, NEVER will we tolerate a guy who changes his mind. Even if he is the most recognized player in the NFL. Even if he brings in tons of revenue for the organization. Even if he rescued the team from complete overhauls at the guard and RB positions. I don't care. He changed his mind. I think you can see how that would be the overriding concern for me. Not his talent and experience. But I make this promise: If Favre goes out in the next few weeks and picks up a DUI, I'll take him back in a New York minute. I'm a fair minded guy after all and believe in second - or third - chances."

Love,

Ted Thompson

GBRulz
07-12-2008, 09:19 AM
:roll:

Go ahead and tell me to lighten up, but there is nothing funny about DUI's. Kinda lame to compare KRob's situation to this.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:21 AM
i think he's snapped and lost it...

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Go ahead and tell me to lighten up, but there is nothing funny about DUI's. Kinda lame to compare KRob's situation to this.

Yep.

Favre is a good person and a good player even at 38 years old. This is tough for everybody but to start cutting at people who have recieved DUI's to make Favre look better is just silly. Favre was a full blown pill addict and very abusive drinker anyway (not that it matters, AT ALL). Hell, to me that is one of Favre greatest accomplishments, but anyway. . .

A part of me thinks this is the exact type of sentiment that drives masses away from a guy not toward him. Nobody relates to this type of mud slinging. The Favre camp just looks amateur and kind of shitty right now. They don't need MrAyn to pile on further.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Yep.

Favre is a good person and a good player even at 38 years old. This is tough for everybody but to start cutting at people who have recieved DUI's to make Favre look better is just silly. Favre was a full blown pill addict and very abusive drinker anyway (not that it matters, AT ALL). Hell, to me that is one of Favre greatest accomplishments, but anyway. . .

A part of me thinks this is the exact type of sentiment that drives masses away from a guy not toward him. Nobody relates to this type of mud slinging. The Favre camp just looks amateur and kind of shitty right now. They don't need MrAyn to pile on further.

you know, instead of all this sniping bullshit, Favre should have just held a press conference and said he's coming back - puts everything right on TT and I don't see where TT could have gone from there

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Why? I'm comparing Ted's judgment and standards. Favre's indecisiveness versus DUIs. I think it's a totally legitimate comparison. I certainly agree there is NOTHING FUNNY about DUIs. I don't believe anything I wrote about the DUIs was funny in ANY WAY. And I won't suggest that you lighten up either. The point should be clear: why dismiss your MVP for indecisiveness, but forgive multiple DUIs?

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 09:33 AM
you know, instead of all this sniping bullshit, Favre should have just held a press conference and said he's coming back - puts everything right on TT and I don't see where TT could have gone from there

I agree. I'm not trying to absolve Favre of any blame. he deserves to get punked for not being a stand-up guy about the current circus. But I don't understand the logic of pitching him based upon, what we're being told by SOURCES, was his indecisiveness.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 09:33 AM
i think he's snapped and lost it...

I agree.

falco
07-12-2008, 09:34 AM

I agree. I'm not trying to absolve Favre of any blame. he deserves to get punked for not being a stand-up guy about the current circus. But I don't understand the logic of pitching him based upon, what we're being told by SOURCES, was his indecisiveness.

I don't disagree with you mraynand - I just don't think its quite as black and white as you make it sound

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 09:34 AM
It's a football decision too, MrAyn. It's more than just one reason. The Packers are optimistic and excited to move forward with what they have. It doesn't have to be a shot at Favre as much as a commitment to the guys they have.

Fritz
07-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Okay, I don't get this line at all: "based upon, what we're being told by SOURCES, was his indecisiveness." Sources? Favre retired. Had a big press conference, cried, said it was completely his decision, complimented TT and MM, said it was time. He was exhausted. Now it is clear - is it not? - that he has changed his mind. He wants back.

That's indecisiveness, and it ain't based on no "sources."

pbmax
07-12-2008, 09:56 AM
What about going through the motions of changing your mind every year since 2001? Is there a limit? Is there a point I am allowed to not believe everything you say?

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 10:00 AM
What about going through the motions of changing your mind every year since 2001? Is there a limit? Is there a point I am allowed to not believe everything you say?

The point is that the organization has elevated his indecisiveness to a character flaw worse than a DUI. Plus, even though Favre may have wavered, but every year he came back and played his guts out. That's what matters, isn't it?

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Okay, I don't get this line at all: "based upon, what we're being told by SOURCES, was his indecisiveness." Sources? Favre retired. Had a big press conference, cried, said it was completely his decision, complimented TT and MM, said it was time. He was exhausted. Now it is clear - is it not? - that he has changed his mind. He wants back.

That's indecisiveness, and it ain't based on no "sources."

The SOURCES say that it was the changes of mind in March that were the 'final straw' for Thompson. APPARENTLY, according to SOURCES, Favre wanted back in, Thompson 'bent over backwards' to accommodate him, then Favre called back two days later and said, Wait, I changed my mind. That was too much for Ted. It's more intolerable, apparently, than multiple DUIs.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I guess we could parody a letter written by Sherman, and what he would have done to keep Favre. But I can't bear to think about the Mississippi Packers playing at Favre Field in Jackson, with Bus Cook as Director of Player Personnel. Sherman mostly would have kept the colors, but changed the logo just a little bit to keep his superstar happy.

Fritz
07-12-2008, 10:11 AM
The DUI was with another team and did not damage the Packers. They took K-Rob under strict conditions and held him accountable for his actions.

Favre's indecisiveness had hurt the team. It does not mean indecisiveness is worse than a DUI. It means KRob's situation did not harm the Packers but Favre's situation is harming the Packers.

pbmax
07-12-2008, 10:12 AM
How many DUIs came while he was a Packer?

The SOURCES say that it was the changes of mind in March that were the 'final straw' for Thompson. APPARENTLY, according to SOURCES, Favre wanted back in, Thompson 'bent over backwards' to accommodate him, then Favre called back two days later and said, Wait, I changed my mind. That was too much for Ted. It's more intolerable, apparently, than multiple DUIs.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 10:17 AM
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Hammerhead/John_Deere_Hitch_small.jpg

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Are you happy yet Mr. Favre?

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Favre's indecisiveness had hurt the team.

How, Exactly?

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I guess we could parody a letter written by Sherman, and what he would have done to keep Favre. But I can't bear to think about the Mississippi Packers playing at Favre Field in Jackson, with Bus Cook as Director of Player Personnel. Sherman mostly would have kept the colors, but changed the logo just a little bit to keep his superstar happy.

Two separate issues here Scott: Favre's bullshit behavior, and Thompson's judgment and criteria for letting a player go. The above sarcastic, bitter 'letter' addresses the latter. (Plus Shermy would have also given Favre a special Piggy-back ride into Favre Field during introductions).

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Two separate issues here Scott: Favre's bullshit behavior, and Thompson's judgment and criteria for letting a player go. The above sarcastic, bitter 'letter' addresses the latter. (Plus Shermy would have also given Favre a special Piggy-back ride into Favre Field during introductions).

Again, I'm just havin my fun. I'd start Favre. But I'd kick him in the nuts first.

The Shadow
07-12-2008, 12:00 PM

How, Exactly?

???????????????????????????????????????

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 12:02 PM

How, Exactly?

???????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 12:04 PM

How, Exactly?

How has it hurt?

This hasn't exactly been the feel good story of the year. Unless you're a Bear fan.

twoseven
07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Thompson's judgment and criteria for letting a player go. Favre LET HIMSELF GO. It's called retirement..'I quit, I can't do it anymore, nothing left' followed by tears. Then he said he wanted back in, TT said sure, come back. Favre then said, oops, my bad, I don't actually want back in. TT said fine, again. Now Favre thinks he wants back in, yet again..and you are actually busting TT's balls and giving Favre a pass, or so it seems? Favre is now in line for a trip to see Nurse Wratched for his pills for chrissakes.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Favre LET HIMSELF GO. It's called retirement..'I quit, I can't do it anymore, nothing left' followed by tears. Then he said he wanted back in, TT said sure, come back. Favre then said, oops, my bad, I don't actually want back in. TT said fine, again. Now Favre thinks he wants back in, yet again..and you are actually busting TT's balls and giving Favre a pass, or so it seems? Favre is now in line for a trip to see Nurse Wratched for his pills for chrissakes.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Thompson's judgment and criteria for letting a player go. Favre LET HIMSELF GO. It's called retirement..'I quit, I can't do it anymore, nothing left' followed by tears. Then he said he wanted back in, TT said sure, come back. Favre then said, oops, my bad, I don't actually want back in. TT said fine, again. Now Favre thinks he wants back in, yet again..and you are actually busting TT's balls and giving Favre a pass, or so it seems? Favre is now in line for a trip to see Nurse Wratched for his pills for chrissakes.

And if I were Ted, and wanted Brett to start this year, I'd make him sweat like this anyway, just so he doesn't pull the same stunt again next year.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm not busting TT's balls at this time regardless of what he decides. And if you really read their press release it leaves them open to do anything...although it's clear they don't want BF back.

It's a tough situation. Favre had his best year since 1996 statistically. I'm not sure it's reasonable to repeat those numbers; on the other hand arguing his play will falloff dramatically is not reasonable either. The QB will have more weapons this year than last. And IMO it is fair to think we will be better if Favre is our QB next year. But it's also fair to say three years from now, if they believe in AROD, we're better off just moving on at the sacrifice of trying to go for the gusto now.

Michael Jordan came back after deciding he wanted to play baseball for gosh sakes. Kobe and Phil Jackson were ripping each other and Kobe said he'd never return to LA...and then he did. The bridge is broken, but it can be repaired of the parties choose to do so.

This is a tough call; to me again, it boils down to valuing trying to go for it all now as opposed to planning long term.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm depending on 'SOURCES' for what actually happened. But the bottom line is that APPARENTLY after a bunch of waffling around Favre wants to come back and Thompson is saying, that's too much waffling, we can't do it. yet he welcomes in a multi DUI guy. I'm saying I question his judgment. And 'm NOT giving Favre a pass - Fuck him too for being such a pussy. If I have to see him crying on TV again - or tossing up a piece of shit final pass of the season, I think I'll wretch. The whole thing just pisses me off. But the point of this thread was specifically to question Thompson's judgment and ya know what, I don't give a shit anymore.

hawaii50
07-12-2008, 01:06 PM
The difference between favre and krob is that tt brought krob back as the 5th wr on the team, not as the #1 wr. he gave him a chance after he screwed up with minnesota, not green bay. I'm sure tt would welcome favre back if he was willing to take the seat as the #2, the problem is favre's ego won't let him come back as the #2. Favre expects to retire, flip-flop on his decision, decide to stay retired, and still come back and be GIVEN the starting position. If favre was the logical thinker and competitor that i THOUGHT he was, he would say, "OK ted, I know I put you in a little jam and made you have to move on without me. But I want to come back, and I think I deserve a chance. If you're gonna challenge me to reinstate myself and be a part of the packers. Fine. I'll do it. And guess what? I'm gonna beat out your boy aaron and be the starter."

But he didn't. Instead he asked for his release because apparently the packers should have been ecstatic to welcome him back after all his bs indecision and should have thrown away any of the plans they made without him. it really sucks to learn that your idol who you grew up thinking was the man of all men, competitor of all competitors, is really just a diva.

Zool
07-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Michael Jordan came back after deciding he wanted to play baseball for gosh sakes.

The 2 situations couldnt be any further apart if you tried. That was basically a sanctioned suspension for his gambling.

This Favre situation is.....well its just fucked up.

Fritz
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM

How, Exactly?

"Team" means a bunch of people putting aside most of their self interest for the sake of the greater good - a Super Bowl. It's why Favre ripped JWalk a couple years ago - for putting his own interests ahead of the team.

Now, instead of the focus being on the team and how it's doing, the Packers are forced to deal with an awkward situation that's likely to turn out badly for one or more parties. It will now be a recurring story throughout the season - if Favre plays someone else, the comparisons to Rodgers will be endless. It will be a major distraction. It won't go away, either. If Favre stays on the team (I don't see how), it'll be a major distraction every week. If Favre starts and throws two of his classic interceptions in a game, people will howl for Rodgers. If Rodgers starts the first time he throws an incomplete pass to an open receiver, the crowd will howl for Favre.

I imagine the media is already lining up the "leaders" like Harris, Barnett, Kampman, and Driver to ask them which side they're on - do they want Favre back? Every comment will be sliced and diced. Favre has put Rodgers in an awful position - a shitty thing to do to a teammate.

It's hurting the image of the team already and will very possibly have an effect on their performance, most likely I would think in a negative way.

That's how.

mmmdk
07-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Let's call Deckard; he helps "retire" old QBs and replicants...:lol: