PDA

View Full Version : 100 words or less. . . What happened?

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Focus on why Ted Thompson might have made the decision that he did and what might have lead to Favre's indecisiveness.

I'll go first. I think it's hard to mask what you really think and be inclusive at the same time. IT wastes words covering up and forces you to just say what you think most rather than masking it in 20 other things that it could be.

The Packers are focused on a team oriented lockerroom. Football guys, Packer People, whatever. Brett has better things to do than work with his teammates in the offseason. Favre's camp is filled with yes men who tell him he is entitled to do whatever he wants. The Packers feel Favre not wanting to spend offseasons with the team is insulting and unacceptable. The Packers are now comfortable with Rodgers and love his full offseason commitment, hunger to improve and commitment to his teammates. Favre retires, asks to comes back, rinses, repeats, tosses mud, asks for release. Here we are.

Packerarcher
07-12-2008, 10:20 AM
TT FUCKED UP.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:21 AM
The Packers are focused on a team oriented lockerroom. Football guys, Packer People, whatever. Brett has better things to do than work with his teammates in the offseason. Favre's camp is filled with yes men who tell him he is entitled to do whatever he wants. The Packers are confident in Aaron Rodgers and feel Favre not wanting to spend offseasons with the team is insulting and unacceptable. The Packers are comfortable with Rodgers and love his full offseason commitment and hunger to improve. Favre retires, asks to comes back, rinses, repeats, tosses mud, asks for release. Here we are.

Brett should stop playing hardball with his boss. Technically speaking, Brett Favre is property of the Green Bay Packers. Ted Thompson gets to decide what to do with Favre, whether it's what he wants or not. Just because he's asked for an "unconditional" release does not mean Thompson has to grant it.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 10:22 AM
TT FUCKED UP.

I give you a lot of credit for being succinct.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 10:23 AM
TT FUCKED UP.

Or maybe Brett Favre fucked up? I mean, Ted Thompson never said he "Didn't want to do it anymore, and that's it." Your boy Favre did, which was a mistake if he had any inkling that he might want to come back. Favre's decision, Favre's fault.

BallHawk
07-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Favre said he had enough of football and decided to retire.

TT and MM tried to get him to stay but to no avail.

Favre cried in his press conference and set in stone his retirement.

TT took a grown man for his word and moved forward with the new QB of the Pack.

Favre decides he wants to play football again and expects to get it his way.

Doesn't get what he wants and asks for release.

falco
07-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Favre said he had enough of football and decided to retire.

TT and MM tried to get him to stay but to no avail.

Favre cried in his press conference and set in stone his retirement.

TT took a grown man for his word and moved forward with the new QB of the Pack.

Favre decides he wants to play football again and expects to get it his way.

Doesn't get what he wants and asks for release.

hey ballhawk i'm glad to see you - whats your opinion on the whole situation?

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Why just take a grown man at his word ballhawk? That seems like the easy answer but TT is charged with the task of winning football games. He's not going to tell us because that would be a shot at Favre and he never takes shots at players.

What constitutes being in the name of winning is liberal but I was hoping for a little more "what might he have been thinking when he made his decision" than just "he made a decision". I don't know that it was that black and white.

sheepshead
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
TT did his job, he's not a camp counselor, he has a football team to run and he takes grown men at their word. It's not too late for a big sit down, including Rodgers and make everyone happy. There does however come a time when it's too late. The time has passed. Maybe it's that time.

Freak Out
07-12-2008, 11:10 AM
FUBAR.

sheepshead
07-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Perhaps

Partial
07-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Focus on why Ted Thompson might have made the decision that he did and what might have lead to Favre's indecisiveness.

I'll go first. I think it's hard to mask what you really think and be inclusive at the same time. IT wastes words covering up and forces you to just say what you think most rather than masking it in 20 other things that it could be.

The Packers are focused on a team oriented lockerroom. Football guys, Packer People, whatever. Brett has better things to do than work with his teammates in the offseason. Favre's camp is filled with yes men who tell him he is entitled to do whatever he wants. The Packers feel Favre not wanting to spend offseasons with the team is insulting and unacceptable. The Packers are now comfortable with Rodgers and love his full offseason commitment, hunger to improve and commitment to his teammates. Favre retires, asks to comes back, rinses, repeats, tosses mud, asks for release. Here we are.

1) Aaron Rodgers has spent the bare minimum time in GB, thus he did not work with receivers who he does not have a connection with yet. Where is this full off-season commitment douche? From the horses mouth he says he spent the vast majority of his time in Cali.

2) Favre has an established connection with the receviers and could run the offense effectively with a concussion. Favre has thrown more touchdowns severely injured than Rodgers has period.

You're overthinking the whole thing. It has to do with Ted wanting Brett gone so he can have the spotlight since he was never able to get it as a player.

Unfortunately for Ted, he is probably miscalculating because when the Pack goes sub-500 he'll be fired for the PR mess he created with the fans.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
1) Aaron Rodgers has spent the bare minimum time in GB, thus he did not work with receivers who he does not have a connection with yet. Where is this full off-season commitment douche? From the horses mouth he says he spent the vast majority of his time in Cali.

2) Favre has an established connection with the receviers and could run the offense effectively with a concussion. Favre has thrown more touchdowns severely injured than Rodgers has period.

You're overthinking the whole thing. It has to do with Ted wanting Brett gone so he can have the spotlight since he was never able to get it as a player.

Unfortunately for Ted, he is probably miscalculating because when the Pack goes sub-500 he'll be fired for the PR mess he created with the fans.

You didn't read the instructions.

LL2
07-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't care about the thought process right now of who the Pack would be better with, Favre or Rodgers, but how Favre is handling this. Personally I think the TT is handling it pretty good so far. If it is true Favre has waffled this year... from wanting to un-retire a couple of weeks after he retired.... to the team sending a private jet to Favre's home to discuss him coming back after he retired...to then saying he's going to stay retired... which prompted the team to draft Brohm and Flynn...to the latest saga...I'd say the Packers position is the right position. Someone that flip flops like that shouldn't be granted the right to be an automatic starter, even if his name is Favre. The way Favre has wavered over the years, and the way he's handled things this offseason is bullshit. The Packers just are not coddling him anymore. I love Favre and everything he's done and means to the Packers, but he needs to handle this better. The Packers are right in not releasing him and saying if he wants to play submit your letter to Mr Goodell and show up for training camp. I do not feel bad for Favre one bit.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Favre behaved like a pampered pussy and Thompson handled it the wrong way. And a bunch of Favre bootlickers and unnamed "Packer" and "NFL" "SOURCES" were allowed to tangentially leak "what really happened." The whole thing played out like a high school he said, she said drama. Favre and Thompson should both be flogged.

packers11
07-12-2008, 12:09 PM
that sig creeps me out...

retailguy
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Ted made the decision he made because he's tired of the annual 'will he' 'won't he' drama needed to end. He knows he's looking at the same offseason he had this year, next year, and he faces dissention no matter what he does, or doesn't do.

Brett made the decision he made back in March because he thought it was his best ticket out of GB. I don't think he ever wanted retirement, but, getting AR named the starter, then coming back made it more likely (though a longshot) that he could get released. I really think that Brett doesn't like the McCarthy/Thompson organization and just wants to play on his terms in his choice of location...

Sad day in Green Bay, and horrible end to a wonderful career. Change is painful, and if AR doesn't work out.... <sigh>

motife
07-12-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree wtih what Charles Barkley said yestereday : "Favre is a pain in the ass." Even his biggest supporters can't deny that on the ego, attention whore level, it's true.

gbgary
07-12-2008, 01:06 PM
geesh! whodathunk it would end up in such a F'd-up way. from story-book to nightmare in just a few short months. it's a no-win for everyone involved...for the Packers because it's pr cluster-fk, for Brett cuz he's gonna end-up traded to someone he doesn't want to play for, and for the fans for obvious reasons. :roll:

bobblehead
07-12-2008, 01:09 PM

I usually agree with you, but I'm curious. What was your position on randy moss last year. It seems to me we are reliving a similar scenario where TT is taking a lot of heat for doing what he thinks is best. Last season that resulted in 13-3 despite predictions of doom. I wonder what this season will bring with all these dire predictions.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree wtih what Charles Barkley said yestereday : "Favre is a pain in the ass." Even his biggest supporters can't deny that on the ego, attention whore level, it's true.

That's the most intelligent thing you've said all day, Mr. Barkley

http://www.livingstonbuzz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/paperchase14.jpg

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Let me just start right off: "Hey, Wah Happened?"

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1121777/AMightyWind-photo_08.jpg

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Ted made the decision he made because he's tired of the annual 'will he' 'won't he' drama needed to end. He knows he's looking at the same offseason he had this year, next year, and he faces dissention no matter what he does, or doesn't do.

Brett made the decision he made back in March because he thought it was his best ticket out of GB. I don't think he ever wanted retirement, but, getting AR named the starter, then coming back made it more likely (though a longshot) that he could get released. I really think that Brett doesn't like the McCarthy/Thompson organization and just wants to play on his terms in his choice of location...

Sad day in Green Bay, and horrible end to a wonderful career. Change is painful, and if AR doesn't work out.... <sigh>

I see where you're coming from and right now I think he wants nothing more than a ticket out of town but I'm not so sure that was always the case. He played hsi best football in a decade last year under the MM/TT regime. Things are only getting better. He's said in the paper that AR is walking into a great situation. He's said within the last year that he'd never play for another team.

I definitly think it's gone to the point of no return, but I don't think it was there during the great season last year. I think it developed after Favre realized he wasn't wanted.

Definlity a sad say though but I do think everything will work out. This team has a lot of things going in the right direction.

Pugger
07-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Brett said to TT and MM "I think I'm gonna retire". The two fellas try to talk him out of it. But Brett has his tearful press conference anyway. A couple of weeks later he confesses to MM that MM was right, he was too hasty in retiring and wants to return. TT and MM agree and plans are made for Brett to return and they plan a meeting to try to figure out a way to placate Aaron Rodgers for one more year. Two days before that meeting, Brett changes his mind - AGAIN - and decides to re-retire. MM and TT then decide its time to move forward and they give the starting job to Rodgers and draft a couple of QBs. They are even watching the waver wire for a veteran (they even offer Culpepper a contract :shock: ). Weeks go by and then MM gets a message from Brett that he has the itch to play AGAIN. MM and TT :roll: and do not show a lot of enthusiasm when talking to Brett. Brett then feels slighted! HELLO?? Brett, what the h3ll did you expect?? Now he wants his unconditional release (which might've been his plan all along) and wants to play for another team. TT ain't gonna just release him so he can play for the queens or pandas. So TT tells Brett to file his papers for reinstatement and come to camp or be traded. Sheesh! Some people are blaming TT for this mess but in my mind its all on Brett. Sad, really...

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I definitly think it's gone to the point of no return......

I don't. It's nowhere near as ugly as Chad Johnson's spat. It might be bigger news because it's Brett Favre, but its not very ugly as far as these things go.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I definitly think it's gone to the point of no return......

I don't. It's nowhere near as ugly as Chad Johnson's spat. It might be bigger news because it's Brett Favre, but its not very ugly as far as these things go.

Agreed. After reading TT's comments, you can tell he's trying to do the right thing - what's best for the Packer Organization, including team, office, and fans.